Expand Lifebar

What video games visibly elongate your life bar when your maximum HP counter increases?
I absolutely love it for some reason. Probably because it gives your some strong sense of progression and power growth.
Or maybe I just like seeing things become longer

Either way post such lifebars.

Darksiders does. If you wanna count hearts then Zelda games will be a joy for you, majority of the side content is getting hearts and expanding your lifebar.

Metal Gear Solid.

Pic related

I think the Maximo games did this.

Post more cheerleader link

you first faggot

Actually I think that hearts, orbs or any other objects lined along instead of a solid line are pretty lame.

Duke Nukem Forever

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox, not NES), every time you get the max health up powerup
In Monster Hunter your stamina bar gets shorter over time, and you need to eat to expand it. Your health bar can also lengthen or shorten depending on other factors.

I like the way you think, OP.
The only one I can think off that wasn't mentioned is Monster Hunter, but it isn't progression related.

He didn't even post the gay version. Do you not see the tits, you fucking faggot?

souls games

Bayonetta expands both the health and magic gauges.

Do other expanding bars count? FEAR had its reflex bar slightly expanded with each booster, and while the differences between each booster were minimal, the difference at start and end of the game were rather obvious.

In Dishonored, you can get some health and mana upgrades that expand your bars.

He has Dank Memes in the OP you faggot.

If you count extra hearts/squares/whatever , There's Okami and Dead Rising.

I am scared about DR4. It just won't feel the same without psychos and time limits.

Is there a game where your life bar is a penis that gets longer?

Maybe in some H-games. That Bonetown game had your balls as your power level. I never played it so that's just hearsay.

Bayonetta 1&2, The Wonderful 101 and the DMC series, off the top of my head.

Well, I mean there's just that one
And it's Toon Link, not Young Link

RIP

quads confirm we need more cuntboy link

>IT GOES OFF THE SCREEN

Every kill increases boost bar by large chunk.

Legend of Mana doesn't elongate it per se, but it does give you multiple health bars. Much like the bosses in Kingdom Hearts. I imagine you'll enjoy it because you get to watch a bar grow until it reaches the next color then you get to watch it grow all over again.

bet i can guess what armor and weapon you two had throughout most of your games too

DEX > STR

as long as you aren't a filthy caster user

GIANTS
GIANTS
GIANTS

I wish more game would place the life bar on the character like Dead Space did. The seamless HUD is about the only thing dead space got right in every game.

THIS IS AWFUL WHEN ITS A HORROR GAME PLEASE DONT SPOOK ME

Dude, that's the best thing ever. Your inventory being a hologram made by the suit and there's bullshit creeping around the walls. It adds a whole atmosphere of spook (but awesome) to the game and you can't just escape the tension by bringing up a giant menu that pauses the entire game.

You're forgetting that Deadspace still has the options menu which was a hard-pause.

You're forgetting that fuck you. :^)

I know other RE games had yellow herbs, but I don't remember if they had life bars that extended like 4 did.

The Devil May Cry series featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series

Shadow of the Colossus had an expanding health bar. Some trees had fruit in them, which you could shoot down (or climb up and knock down) and then eat, which grew your health bar. There were also many lizards in the game world, and some few had white tails. If you stunned the white-tailed lizard and then cut its tail off, it would expand your maximum grip circle (which is also used for holding your breath underwater). After a new game + or two, your health bar could easily go off the side of the screen, being larger than the health bar of most colossi you face. And your grip circle could get crazy big as well.

Additionally, with sufficient grip strength/endurance, you could climb up the main temple where you start the game. On top, there were similar fruits to those that expanded your healthbar but instead, these ones actually shrunk the bar. I think the idea was that your health bar growing was a measure of your corruption and the evil god's influence on you, and so the fruits that grew on the temple meant to contain that god would instead purify you.

Pretty cool game.

Also your health and grip would increase with every colossus you killed, as you absorbed a fragment of the evil god from them. Dunno if it's worth spoilering this shit, I hope everyone's played this incredible game by now.

sage for doublepost

Too bad none of that affects story/outcome. Also reminder that there still now way to play it on proper 60 fps or more.
I think you can jump through a bunch of hoops if you emulate, but not sure if it won't break something else.
60fps PS4 remaster never ever.

(checked)
If I remember right, there was a lot of cut content in Shadow of the Colossus. 2 or 3 more colossi, and at least one alternate ending if you escaped the pool sucking you in.

The only other game they appear in is RE: Gaiden and most people would rather forget that exists. The other games had blue herbs as the third type which would cure poison

The only really, completely cut thing is spider colossus.
The rest was repurposed/integrated into what we had in the end.
The whole "40 planned colossi" business doesn't mean they were made first and then cut. They all weren't even designed.

I fucking love this game to bits, please let the last guardian be good.

What did Poison even do? I remember there being giant spiders in RE3

In theory: Slowly eat away at your health
In practice: Cost you some inventory spots because you know there are poisonous enemies about and have blue herbs ready to go.

BloodRayne 2, but I'm too lazy to post examples.

And the first Soul Reaver game.

That thing looks at of place but still alright.

The God of War series is a pretty obvious one that I forgot to mention.

Only the first one though. I wonder why they got rid of the expanded lifebar for the later games it was good progression.

MHR has it returned in full glory.
MGR is the best metal gear game hands down

It's in MG1 and MG2 too. Maybe also Ghost Babel?

Well I mean we do have Sam's story, right?

It's like you want to be called a faggot

God Hand if you buy health boosts
Honestly, if you haven't played it yet, emulate it right now.

Ultra low fov and bad camera gave me head aches so I couldn't play past first level.

I'm pretty sure even MMOs in PS2 didn't have microtransactions.

VIT is actually pretty necessary for later portions of the game though like Izalith. Even as a dexterity build I usually get it up to at least 30-40.

MGS3 does it aswell.
If you get hurt (red damage) and heal, the bar will lengthen a bit.
It's actually a nice mechanics since it allows casuals to stand a chance against the thougher boss and provide a nice challenge to the actual players since your life bar should be pretty pathetic.

Beyond Good and Evil did this.

Blood Omen 2 does that. If only game itself was good.

Bumpster

for what purpose

ACCEPT THIS IS THE BEST DRIVING GAME EVER Holla Forums

YOU HAVE NO CHOICE

YOU KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE

Yes, its true

It's all in game currency mate, you get giant coin pick ups from thugs.
The health boosts are fruit smoothies from the shop you can visit between levels.

That sucks, man. Because this shit's great.

Avalon Code has an odd variant, in that your health is measured by a plant with red leaves going across the top of the screen, with each hit making a leaf fall off. Upon obtaining another unit of health by scanning a particular type of pedestal, the stem of the plant expands slightly, a new leaf buds, and then unravels to look like the rest, adding to the maximum hits you can take.

Darksiders basically used multiple stacking health meters, with the full reserves represented by one of those skull looking things beneath it.

I keep seeing copies of that around for the PS2, but they're never in good shape at all. Probably the PS2 Capcom game people are most prone to treating really poorly out here. How is it anyhow?

Wow Link is rude

fixed

Fixed more

Expand life by taking life.

It's one of my favorite action games ever. It's very spam unfriendly and doesn't focus on juggling, so it got a lot of hate from both musou and DMC fans back in the day.
It's similar to MGR in a way that 90% of combat is parrying and counter attacking, except you don't have dedicated parry command and instead need to slash into enemies attacks like a goddamn jedi.
You can spend 10 minutes attacking end game grunt with normal slashes, but it takes 2 or 3 counter attacks to take them out.
Shit's very hard and satisfying when you nail it.

Great music and location design too. I just wish character designs weren't so much anime.

Sigh, saved.

I'll give it some more consideration if I ever see a copy in good condition where I live (which admittedly might be a fat chance, but I'm a stickler for condition of what I buy). It's certainly cheap enough, and I really don't mind something being "anime" in design. Thanks for the information.

Just torrent it and burn to DVD mate. That's how I get my PS2 games.

Prototype does this

way to ruin it faggot

Is it bad that I sincerely believe I'm missing out on a great game, but know they're innocent and can't bring myself to play it?

The reveal would be ruined anyways.

La Mulana.

Resident Evil 4 had it where your bar amount would increase with red+green herb mixtures