Messiah

Anyone else played or even heard of this game? I saw it while scrolling through GOG to find some interesting vidya and it seemed neato enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.io/get/2rLtPqIdw662DQ/messiah_manual.zip
volafile.io/get/Ze4uPa4dw65NDA/messiah_fear_factory_stdk.zip
volafile.io/get/_FJyP7wdw64vDA/setup_messiah_2.1.0.14.exe
volafile.io/get/UkL_Pqgdw66LDA/messiah_soundtrack.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I did, more than a decade ago. I remember it having clunky controls, but not much more.

I went ahead and picked it up, since I can refund it if I don't like it. The default controls are shit, but you can rebind them luckily, and I like how it plays well enough, infiltration gameplay using body swapping.

I hear it was a unique game

Played when it came out (late 90s or early 00s can't remember), it had an interesting concept but I didn't like the controls (even back then).
I remember it being overhyped as fuck by gaming magazines, probably that's why it disappointed me.

That was a thing in gaming mags, even then?

Yes, of course. In some cases it was fabricated, paid by devs (also paid reviews were always a thing too) or legit hype by the guys who worked on mags (there were gaming mags staffed by actual gamers back then, I know it's hard to believe but it's true).

Damn, I guess that's what happens when a hobby get some suits with a lot of money. Never kept up with the magazines myself. I guess without all the hype, Messiah is a 6/10 game. It's not particularly good, due to the controls and camera sucking ass for the most part, but the gameplay and story seem interesting enough.

Back then it was way, way, way easier to generate hype and fabricate how good a game was. Since that was essentially the only place you even knew what the new games were at the time. Aside from going to the store and seeing a display for it.

It was way easier to control the narrative back then that a game was good when it was actually shit. And paid reviews was just the norm. Like read up on the Driver 3 controversy about how the main reason that game sold decently well for its time was because they paid off two magazines to publish glowing reviews of the game and censored opinions on fan forums. Which was also way easier to do because there was no sites like 4chan where you could organize people against it.

In fact the only proof we have now that it even took place (since they also baleeted Google Cache) was because one dude was smart enough to archive all of the evidence.

I remember reading about it in mags back in the day, but never really got around actually playing it. Thanks for reminding me about it, OP.

Imageboards existed at the time but most massed gaming communities mostly used internet forums and shit like ign.

It wasn't like now where developers actually visit them. It was unheard of to see devs find their comments sections trolled with memes or their aggregate scores skewed because of groups of people organized to do so.

I remember at the time most people I talked to online trusted gamefaq's reviews more than IGN. And that's insane thinking back on it.

Driver going to shit after the first two games is such a game, the first two games were so good. Even had blinker technology which modern games like GTA still haven't figured out.

They had a significantly smaller user base and video games were still in a sort of golden age. Most video game discussion was on your big forums like gamefags and fanforums, at least in terms of visibility.

I'm having some trouble finding an active torrent for this game, since it's so old and both dev team and publisher are dead, I don't think it should be paid for. I can upload my GOG copy somewhere if you guys want to play it.

I remember playing it, thinking "can't be as bad as people say". So I start, wander around a bit, walk to a car… walk through a car, actually. Clip right through the hood. Not even five fucking minutes in, and I bump into a glitch.

I tend to buy GOG games because I support GOG as a site and I want to see it continue.

Since it's shown devs will re-release their games to it and make pre-fixed versions. A lot of the time it's significantly better than Steam versions too. And they patch out disk checking.

Like I loved it when Dark Forces 2 was re-released on GOG because I could never play that game properly until it was.

Seeing the site stay relevant long enough for other games like No One Lives Forever (I still have hope dammit) being re-released is enough for me.

As a poorfag, I'd appreciate it. (If there's extras, please upload them too.)

What are some free ways to upload files publicly now? Megaupload is kill and I don't know where else I can put it.

Mega.nz
Firestop
Mediafire

I found a physical cardboard box copy a few years ago (still wrapped in plastic and all, I have no idea where the shop found it). But I can't get it to run on Windows 8. Anyone knows how GOG managed to make the game run on modern computers?

I played it, it's clunky but unique.

Ending was sad as fuck.

Check pcgw if they have a fix or just get a dedicated XP machine for old games.

I played it when I was a kid, it scared the shit out of me

could your dad be possessed? could your mother?
how do you know?

Virtual machine nigger, it's way easier than going through all the trouble

That game was a victim of over hype and being released early/incomplete.

In the initial release, the intro of the game didn't even have any sound. They later patched it in. You had to download the patch from the website.

It was an ambitious game withn a neat idea. Just it unfortunately didn't make the deadlines and it shows.

I'll upload the game tonight with the extras, don't have time right now due to my work. I've also got some other GOG games if anyone wants them, like Shadowrun Returns, STASIS, and Shadow Man.

2L8m8

volafile.io/get/2rLtPqIdw662DQ/messiah_manual.zip
volafile.io/get/Ze4uPa4dw65NDA/messiah_fear_factory_stdk.zip
volafile.io/get/_FJyP7wdw64vDA/setup_messiah_2.1.0.14.exe

forgot one
volafile.io/get/UkL_Pqgdw66LDA/messiah_soundtrack.zip

Thanks lad, might dump some other games if anyone is interested, pic related.

Pirated a copy a few years back.
I really liked the whole Geist possession aspect, tho I wish it was more open world with less annoying platforming sections.

But what I remember the most? The game broke my fucking microphone.
It never worked right after that. Every time I would turn it on slightly, I could hear the loud screeching sound. Any other anons have similar problems?