I've played Dragon Quest IV,V,VI,VII, VIII and IX

I've played Dragon Quest IV,V,VI,VII, VIII and IX.

Out of all of them only VIII seems to have any sort of character development for your party.
I don't get why though. Sure there's different devs but overall it's Yuji Hori writing or being involved in each DQ installment.
I just finished VII and I had to look at the screen and ask that's it? during the final normal boss. Already did the bonus dungeons and it still didn't add much.

Other urls found in this thread:

exhentai.org/g/727518/40211b6fa0/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Welcome to classic JRPGs. May there be more of them in this bleak world.

Try Chrono Trigger. Its far better than all of them.

DQ4 is just character, so no argument there. DQ5 gets you married with kids, which, if nothing else, changes the wife. DQ6 gives most of the characters inverse-amnesia, changing them if not in attitude then in backstory. Hell, the reality-half prince is a coward until the monster attack and then he mans up to fuse with the dream-half; that's a definite change, even if it amounts to nothing afterwards. DQ7 has the prince find his calling in life; you lose him immediately after, but it's definitely a development. DQ9 is nameless, faceless mooks, so no argument there, either.

So, you know, 3/5 ain't terrible.

What do you mean by inverse amnesia?

Classic JRPG's with char dev? Try Suikoden 1 and 2.

IV and V have a fuck load of character development if you use the party chat frequently. Although SE cut out the party chat in the DS remake of IV

I always use party chat whenever I get the chance but it's essentially funny observations or some silly romantic shit that's hinted.

Which wife did you pick? Because the localization really killed Bianca's dialogue.

Bianca since I see her in doujinshi all the time. Just felt more natural tbh

V had Henry go from being a spoiled brat to becoming pretty cool after being a slave for 10 years, and your wife changing over the course of growing up, marrying you, having kids, being kidnapped, turned to stone for 8 years, and finally reuniting with you and your kids. VI had you and your party members discovering who they really were, if you count that as character development. And this is just going by the original Super Famicom versions of the games. The party chat in the DS version adds a lot more subtle and nuanced development to the characters.

Eh Carver was pretty weak with just some family problems. All the development milly gets is from visiting her seedy hometown where she was a slave. Same with the magic girl from the magic kingdom. All her development is from visiting that town.

Yeah, you didn't luck out than. Bianca's dialogue in english is like 75 percent different than compared to her japanese version. They cranked up the "REMEMBAH GHOSTBUSTIN?" to 11 in the english version.

Deborah was the only that didn't get hit hard in the localization, you can actually see her go from "total cunt" to "pushy but caring wife and mother"

There's a real world and a dream world. The three main characters got banished by the big bad, and so they could only remember being their dream selves, eg Hassan trying to become a royal soldier rather than being the son of a carpenter. Only after a bit of adventure did he find his reality-self and get the memories he didn't realize he was missing.

you get married and have kids while the world passes you by. How much character development do you want?

VII is the worst Dragon Quest.

It's just an amalgamation of Fedex quests and backtracking with rpg elements.

I wanna see that girl get cuddled and lovingly fucked. Not this shit

Builders has pretty good character development.

I've never played DQ but I love Akira Toriyama, where do I start?

The PS2 version of VIII is probably the most accessible.
V is probably the best of the "Zenithian" games.
Builders is a good if you've ever been into Autismblocks or Terraria but the gameplay and combat is completely different.

Oh and Dragon Quest Heroes exists. It's a musou game and I don't know really how to recommend it or not since it's the first and only musou game I've played and I'm not even sure whether or not I even like the genera yet.

character development is overrated

you would recommend it based on whether or not it was fun

Like I said I don't have much experience with musou so I don't really know that I trust my opinion on the subject. You wouldn't want someone that doesn't like FPS games recommending a FPS to you. I'm not even sure how representative it is of other games of its type.
As far as whether I had fun… Well, I didn't NOT have fun. I didn't hate it. It was rather grindy though, and not grindy in the way that I enjoy. I would be willing to play the sequel if it improved some of the features.

I wanna see that girl get rushed to a fucking hospital, jesus christ

Also, are any of the 3DS DQ games worth playing, or are they all pozzed?

The Jap versions aren't. I think there are retranslation patches for all of them.

Though you gotta admit the surprise appearance and boss fight with Psaro was pretty cool.

Dragon Quest Heroes is a alright Musou game but if you are really craving some Dragon Quest, it's a decent game that will hold you over if you are waiting for another game.

He's a great party member too he comes a bit late in the game sadly.>>11362526
I would definitely agree with that. I think my "disappointment" with it came from the fact that I wanted something with more classic JRPG gameplay at the time. It's certainly not a bad game.

as games they are enjoyable
as story driven narratives not really

if you want story and development read some dojinshis or something
exhentai.org/g/727518/40211b6fa0/

3 da bes 1 tbh

So I'm planning on getting the 3DS version of VII, was the localization as bad as I'd imagine it'd be?

Do you really expect modern SE and Nintendo to not butcher these games beyond recognition?

Yes, they fucked it up big time.

its on the same levels as every other Dragon quest

Just get the PS1 version.

Eh, I have played through 1-6 on nes and snes. The games are mediocre lite rpgs. No depth really. I would never recommend anyone to play them for character development. Just to get a taste of what casual nips play on their off time or when they aren't killing themselves. I would only ever play 3 again on the snes or 2 on the nes for HOLY FUCK GRIND MOTHER FUCKER! OH WHAT?! SACRIFICE! OH WHAT WE JUST PREMA KILLED YOUR COUSIN!!?? BETTER FIND SOME LEAF SHIT FAST?!?!?! OH WHAT THE DRAGON LORD WAS JUST A PAWN?!?! OUT OF THE SCREEN SPRITE NIGGGGAAAAA!!

THAT SHIT IS MY JAM
Alright, I am done.

i dun had the leaf already tbh but i took da boat back out n pumped da grill out in ey inn in dat bitch tbh shit ws tight.

speak english you fuck

here's a fair breakdown

pros:
fair variety of enemy types in every combat as opposed to the one or two you normally get with musous
teleporting across the battlefield to respond to a sudden crisis
heroes have personality
temporarily recruit monsters to help

cons:
ridiculously system taxing on PC. Musous require performance first, graphics second
not called Dragon Quest Warriors. Missed opportunity

Kill yourself.

What do you mean by character development?

But aren't the aesthetic, gameplay changes and increased content good enough to justify getting the re-release?