FFXV shipped 5 million copies according to SE, and apparently was their fastest selling title in some regions...

gematsu.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-first-day-shipments-top-five-million-fastest-selling-title-series

FFXV shipped 5 million copies according to SE, and apparently was their fastest selling title in some regions, especially on the digital front. Though of course its shipped, not sold.

If it keeps SE from going bankrupt, good for them I guess. Though I still cant help but wonder how the player and critical reception is, I hear its true that the first half takes place in an open world and the last half is a linear slog with the last four chapters shitting on everything, according to one critic.

Other urls found in this thread:

unrealengine.com/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-built-with-ue4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bad for us though.

so retailer bought a shitton of these and now a stuck with it, start to shill it like hell and keep pushing this news as if tehy were actually sold. Despite the fact that this is just the shipment, mixed up with the digital copys.

i wonder whats going on.
not really

I'm pretty sure that retail has the right to ship shit back to SE if it doesn't sell.

IIRC SE themselves said they need to sell 10 million copies to break even.

I saw a stream.
It looked like shit.

Is this really what excites people nowadays? Maybe I've just become too pessimistic.

Prelude to E.T. 2.0 hopefully.

i guess the sjw employee's at a retailer will now tell them
what will end in

Call me when they announce actual numbers.

SE are already humongous faggots anyway. From shitting out nuLara to the anti Trump stuff in Hitman, as well as the Type 0 tranny pandering.

XV is basically what happens when two faggots get to mutilate a franchise.

The game is going to sell well due to pure hype but it's just going to continue FFXIII's role in damaging the brand. FFXV needed to be a critical (from the average gamer's perspective) success and right now, all I'm hearing from people is that they're underwhelmed.

Its mainly because its the new mainline FF to come out, it actually is a new game finally coming out in this drought of a console gen, and because of its 10 year development.

Mafia 3 did the same, shipped 4.5 million copies but no word on sales numbers.

Rumor has it that Mafia 3 needed to sell 8 million copies to break even. It didn't even ship the necessary amount, and from all the data we have it barely broke a million copies sold. It was a massive flop.

Between this and Tomb Raider I wonder how long it will be before SE goes completely bankrupt.

Shipped is not sold as pointed out.

They are bleeding cash, most major developers seem to be.

What's the worst blunder this year?

How can any industry survive crap like this being peddled?
Has to be a breaking point, hopefully FFXV is it for SE.

What was with that whole Lightning Returns nonsense then? That wasn't a mainline FF game?

Sequels to main games don't count.

I don't particularly care about the game but I got tired of all the shitposting.

Square is like Sony, they have infinite money, they only cater to their gook followers (which is why games are QTEs movies) and don't give a fuck about losing millions.

It probably wouldnt need to sell that much to break even if they didnt set up a studio in such an expensive area. I would assume you'd end up having to pay higher rent and employee wages because of that.

I never really pay attention to sequels. Plus lets be honest, who really cares for FFXIII?

But Japanese gamers don't really give a shit about Final Fantasy. They're all about Dragon Quest.

Shipped =/= sales.

¿Qué?

They also marketed the shit out of it, and the list of licensed music is huge. Too bad they hired a bunch of incompetent numale cucks to make the game, not that any amount of talent could have salvaged a "kill whitey" propaganda turd.

FFXIII was the same kind of batshit crazy development process as XV. They made so many assets for that game they had to make two more sequels to get through all of them and try and recuperate all the lost money. I still don't think they actually managed to make the money back.

XV is even worse in that regard, and this isn't the same SE that made VII, which also had all manner of retarded money burning.

So FF is not grindy enough for them? Damn. Those gooks are kuraaaahzy!

They're not doing a very good job.

That's exactly correct. Japanese RPG fans love the old grindy throwback type games. That's what an RPG is to them. The only reason FF is in the state that it is currently in is because of Square trying to pander to western audiences. Or what they think western audiences want anyway. Most western JRPG fans like classic style games too (if you exclude the Kingdom Hearts fans, they're sort of their own thing anyway).

Did they market it? I saw plenty of cardboard cut outs at every Gamestop I went to but that was it.

Also wasnt FF7 the most expensive game for its time? Im surprised only the movie caused them to nearly die. I also didnt know FF13 was that expensive, all I know is that 15 is worse in that regard due to the non stop marketing barrage and product tie-ins.

They think the Western audience is made up of fujoshi?

From what I can gather, yes, they did market it pretty heavily, especially pushing the MUH RACYSIM angle at every opportunity.

XV was incredibly retarded, to the point I can't even understand what compelled them to put all their eggs in this rickety basket to begin with. It's a game that has gone through a decade of development hell, part of a franchise that isn't even remotely popular in Japan anymore, and especially not among younger audiences, while the global market was tepid towards it at best.

I cannot honestly fathom what gave SE such confidence in this game they'd invest all this money into making and marketing it.

Sunk cost fallacy?

They did that with FFXIII already. Then again, they did it with VII as well, so maybe the whole company is just run by idiots.

The art direction of the characters is probably the only bit of pandering they do for their native audience. But that does point out the main problem with Nip developers trying to pander to American audiences. They don't actually know what we want out of their games. This is further obscured be bad advice from westaboos like Inafune and out right lies form the western localization teams.

developers need to fucking realize that just pouring millions of dollars into a game is just a waste of money. Hopefully we can go back to companies dishing out small investments into tons of small projects, rather than endlessly funneling cash into massive AAA games that can barely make back the cost of advertising, if it's even profitable in the first place.

Not if they keep making good games

I want the times of Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, FF:Tactics and Front Mission back. Not all those games were perfect, but at least Square made fucking games back then. Projects of varying sizes.

I'd like them to get BACK to making good games but they've not been doing that for a while. Well Square hasn't anyway.

4 balls

one rod

It's like their target audience are fujoshi (for Japan) and tumblr (for the west).

Wait, is this true? Do we have any evidence or something for this?
Because if so that's a massive kick in the balls for just about everyone who bought the game, especially considering what they've been marketing it as.

Its not like the millions are spent on making better games, its more on shinier graphix and marketing. But then again I'd be surprised if most people in AAA studios even know what video games are.

Aren't home consoles next to dead over there?
I though they all just play mobile and don't give a fuck about anything else anymore.

Some square rep said that the game would be more guided/linear later on. Which could mean it turns into hallway fantasy 13, or it could be more like the linearity Final Fantasy has always had. I haven't played the game though, but I haven't heard any complaints about that yet

Mysterious japanese soul.

Never say never lad. They're trying their best to.

Once word circulates around the world about how mediocre FFXV is, it's not going to reach 10m. The only shot they have to reach that number is if they port the game over to the PC and Switch.

are you high?

So Nintendo has their system seller then

By the time they ported it to PC I doubt there would be many takers.

Hah.
HAH.

American eceleb/talkshow cunt that is apparently cool with normalfags.Does videogames because games are cool now.

Fuck I hate this world. Can't wait for my spaceship to be fixed.

stop trying so hard to fit in

Ayy

Friend trust me on one thing: I don't want to "fit in".

shit, I used to work at a roger's video back before video stores got ruined and even our pissant little operation could return it to our distributors if they just weren't selling

then you've let your worldview be determinded by imageboards, which might be even more sad

i'm sorry what.

Hypocritical idiot

So they will add more ugly old hags and westernized models. RIP.

It's what he is now.

dont they have like 18 millions of active ps3 there?

heard basically what I feared that people who got it are zealot about it. basically FFXV can do no wrong mentality.
1 it could do well and square can keep making games and not worry anymore
2 it sells well but changes thoughts on games and may hit another lightning era where they make 2 more games for a game that didn't need it.
3 sold alright but not great amount changes peoples thoughts on making new shit and just copy paste other crap that works but is already out there but again FFXIV is a good spin on the trinity mmo gameplay.
4 sold like shit and all that siphon money from other games went to waste

They're using this engine and battle system for FF7re.

SE says it's not the same system.

I thought they were using unreal engine for FF7 and KH3

Wouldn't be surprised. Japanese gamers don't abandon their tech the way American gamers do. Look how long the Famicom was officially supported over there or how long they hung on to PC-98.

great retailers bought a ton of copies they can't sell

that means come next year I can get a copy for less than $10

Even then you should still get it second hand. SE deserves as little money as possible from this shitshow.

and they are still selling around 1000 of them each month there

Did you read the OP at all?
They shipped half of what they need to break even. Not even sold.
In a perfect case they make back the half. More likely they barely make a quarter.

unrealengine.com/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-built-with-ue4

It still blows my mind

Other then Cidney's tits and ass, I really don't see anything in this game worth giving a shit about.