Old school FPS thread

There are over 500 people playing Quake 3 Arena right now, over 35 people playing Unreal 2004.

This is really amazing if you think about it, especially in quake's case. The game is 17 years old, even UT 2004 is 12 years old. Why would anyone need new arena FPS games when we have this? Those games have so many maps, mods, no bullshit dumbing down of gameplay, why aren't you playing those instead of waiting for something new with fancy graphics? There are enough players to have fun. Even tribes 2 has 20 man matches every night, but at a specific time (right now no one's playing).

And if you are already playing one of those old arena style games, what are your favourite mods, maps and things to do in them?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#!P51hWSZS!K_SV_M5KPwcKlD9T0aMeiji0ESjl6JtsVlNCyhb7JsU
steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/
steamcharts.com/app/13230
simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_50final.zip
quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm
steamcommunity.com/id/ika_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because I've never played before and I don't wanna get shit on by much better players

online gaming is all but alive. nobody plays games online for fun anymore, it's all about (((esports))) nowadays and goyim approved games like LoL, CS:GO, and Super Autism Babies

Only 35? Thats sad. I used to play ut2004 and moved to the new ut alpha
I'd be happy to play ut2004 forever, but graphics are what makes a game modern and playable nowadays. Besides it's basically the same game (some minor changes but nothing really game changing), I get to play on active full servers this way. And it's also free

ut2k4 is very heavily impaired due to obvious Halo inspirations. everything feels floaty and not right compared to ut'99 or even ut3

ut4 was pretty much ut'99 with amazing graphics until they started screwing with weapon balance too much. I mean link gun with cooldown? what the flying fuck, am I playing crapcunts or what?

Blood > Duke Nukem 3D > Shadow Warrior.

But that's part of the fun man, I was one of those who was completely shit on by veterans who played 10 more years than me. Then when I played a few years it feels good to dominate them back. You might want to just become instantly good, but then that's just no fun.

I counted the GameTracker servers for ut 2004, from what I know GameTracker needs you to make an account and actually request your server to be added on their list so it's seen by others. So the real number of players is higher since probably not everyone added their server there. But I suspect it might be at least 50 players. Ut 2004 still has great graphics if you ask me, it has a good style. That's what matters. I like how Quake 1 looks because of it's style.

Yep, it's ass faggots and stupid reaction esports. This is why I don't really bother with modern online games so much, it's all dumbed down. Where's the challenge?

I even play half life deathmatch sometimes. Do you guys enjoy playing these games with bots?

4 u

I play HLDM and OP4DM almost daily. They're still fun.
Depends on the game. Q3A and UT are fun with bots, HL is only fun with other people.

If you use HL:DM you probably also heard about jk botti, they are fun bots that learn the map navigation on their own. I have a folder with half life, dod, tf, extra maps and bot support for all of them. I love how moddable these old games are.

The sturmbots or whatever they're called are great on DoD.

does it work for hl2dm?

Yeah, I've played with them. They're much better than the other HL bots but I still only really have fun playing HLDM with other people.

No, there are other bots for hl 2 dm.

are they any good? i like hl2dm but the servers are pretty empty in my timezone

Quake 3 is horizontal, UT2k4 is vertical.
Strafejumping reaching apex velocity enabled by father machine screaming in your brain, pinpoint accuracy reacting to the timing you can lick the sweat off an airbone trochilidae, faux hawk manchild rejecting it's origins prefers to fondle sweaty balls off imaginary burly men while stroking weaponized woodcutting apparatus, teaching limited young minds slav kamasutra of masonry inclination.

I forgot what bots I used for half life 2 DM but I had fun with them, you should be able to find decent bots for that game easily.

Eh, tribes is vertical, ut is in-between.

This is part of the reason why the AFPS genre/community is how it is now. New releases and a touch more variety is needed if the genre wants to exist in the future. While it's astounding how a multiplayer game that old can still have people playing online, the playerbase is slowly eroding away and there are very few alternatives left to go to. Quake Live is the lion's share of AFPS veterans and past that are mostly scraps (no offense to anybody playing those other games, I play plenty of Xonotic myself but it's plainly obvious that these communities are anything but large).

There are certainly enough players to have fun, but the question is about the future and whether there WILL be enough players to have fun 5-10 years from now, and at the rate that AFPS is going, I'm more than a little concerned. Infrastructure, new decent-budget releases (because most of the AFPS releases in the past few years have been mostly nothing but small indie teams who, while dedicated to the games, haven't ventured far enough from Quake and what Quake's done, and don't have the marketing or flashiness to repackage Quake to the masses as some new fancy thing), something along those lines needs to happen so that there can be a real influx of new blood to revitalize the genre. I'm fine with it being a niche thing, but as it stands the niche is tiny and only getting smaller, and I don't exactly place much stock in longevity. My hopes as of now are on Diabotical/Reborn to hopefully bring in new blood. 2GD can at least draw in some tryhard esports-y types in, and the game seems like it's going to have the features to facilitate some community stuff.

I might sound depressing, but I really do want this genre to succeed and persevere for a long time to come. The prospects of it doing so are slowly shrinking, and it's just stressful.

If bethesda hadnt fucked with Quake Live I'd be playing that right now

Why is Aerowalk the most played map?

Thanks Gabe.

I have posted this some time ago, but if anyone here's interested in playing Tribes 2 then here's a link with the already patched game and installed maps and shit to play. All you have to do is make an account after you start the game, and you can play.

mega.co.nz/#!P51hWSZS!K_SV_M5KPwcKlD9T0aMeiji0ESjl6JtsVlNCyhb7JsU

Just be aware that even if we have 10vs10 matches on the server Snap Crackle Pub every day, it only happens at a specific time, so you won't always find people there.

Man, who cares about the future. We can play these games now and have fun. People were worried years ago about how their games are gonna die, there is only one solution, play them and have fun while it lasts.

500 people don't go away so easily, especially if they stuck with a game for 17 years.

1v1 me fgts on CPMA

steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/

steamcharts.com/app/13230

42 playing now, only on steam. There might be more without a steam version, maybe a good guess is 20? So maybe the best estimation is that you'll find about 60 people playing UT 2004 all the time. It's really, really enough to have fun.

Which of the following games still has a decently active userbase (and good AUS/Asia servers): BF2, BF1942, Quake 3, UT 2K4, Battlefront 2, CoD 1 and 2, Halo 1 and 2 (PC of course)

16 dimensional chess

Planetside 2 is the most vertical game. You spend your time either shooting up at someone on the ramparts, shooting down at people from the ramparts, shooting up at fighters, or shooting down in a fighter.

BF2 revive has an aus server that frequently hits player cap. just play quake live

I just finished Blood again, and i'm going for Shadow Warrior now. How's the reboot of shadow warrior by the way?

I don't even know how much time i've played UT99, but i'm damn sure i've spent more time on it than UT04 and Q3. Monster Hunt is still my favorite mod.

A pseudo-old school FPS game with dead-simple level design, hamfisted RPG elements, a money system, weapon upgrades, and absolutely abhorrent dialogue (SO WACKY N QUIRKY).

The sequel is basically the same but, but to pile on to the mess of mechanics, they've added Borderlands-styled weapon drops and they also made the game 'open world' with side quests and shit.

Ah, yes. I've gotten physical releases of both UT99 and 2K4 for a single eurodollar each, both in pristine condition.

I got a question f I get my copy of Quake L from IGG, can I still play MP? Sorry if I still believe the "piracy=no MP" meme but it never hurts to make sure.

Are there any AUS/Asia servers for ut99? I fucking miss that game.

I used to have a legit copy of Q3, though I no longer have it, can I play it for free lads?

bump

It's steam only by now.
I'm not sure, but I guess that Valve will have something in place to make sure that pirated copies are unable to access their servers.
And since it looks like steam is the only way to play it in MP I guess the answere is no.
Might be wrong through.

Arcane Dimensions 1.5 is out!

simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_50final.zip

quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm

There are ways to play some pirated games using steamworks matchmaking, but you'd only be able to play with other pirates. SmartSteamEmu is another option.

i'm ok with that

Why'd you spoiler this? It's fact

I'll play HLDM with anyone who wants to message me

steamcommunity.com/id/ika_

I already do OP. I mostly play QuakeWorld but I get your point.

Been playing actively for about 5 years now. It's not that hard to get into, although I'd say Quake 3 has a higher entry barrier than QuakeWorld. I could hold my own in duels with players who have been playing for forever until I got carpal tunnel in both hands now I gotta wait for it to heal ; ;

I really don't want Bethesda to fuck up QC. I know they will find a way but strafejumping is confirmed so in the back of my mind I have a little bit of hope. It's the perfect time to make Quake relevant again and I'll be on board if they're willing to work with the community. They won't

AD is dank as fuck.

This is true.

It's funny because the only relevant esport game around that takes any skill whatsoever outside of fighting games is CS:GO, and it's still CS so a good player or two can carry a braindead team ezpz lemon squeezie.

Quake 3 has no DRM.

Halo is still widely played, I was on just last week and there were many servers with people playing (this was on custom edition so might be due to that being made free).

I like Quake and such but I'm really shitty at 3D spacial awareness, the only game like this that I can play comp and be good at is Teeworlds.

Any word about Halo 2 pc?

The dream is over, friend.

DOOM FOREVER

dunno, never played it

I'm willing to bet it's pretty low though, given the lack of a free release and given there's not even a way to buy it anymore.

Never needed Quake or later FPS. There was already Doom, Duke3D, Descent, and others.

is the best way to play Quake 3 on steam?

The Steam version has an assault rifle weapon, two weapon loadouts and Steam Workshop shit.

I used to be one of the best UT players on Earth but I lost it all to alcohol and gambling.

How's that Quake random level generator going on, oblige I think was it's nameā€¦ was it improved? It's primarily for doom but it also had a quake option which hasn't been given a high priority.

Sweet, I'll check this out.

I have a Quake 3 Arena on a stick. I used to have great fun playing it at school.

Now I've tried it on my laptop and the console just gives me

I just wanna play Quake ;_;

laptop is either really outdated, you haven't installed the video card drivers, or you do not have the latest directx 9 runtime package, OR you must run it in compatibility mode