Donkey Kong Country Thread

Thoughts on DKC? Which game is your favorite?
I just beat Donkey Kong 64 with 101% completion. I never really played it before. It was pretty good, but it felt a lot more like Banjo Kazooie than the SNES DKC games, especially the music.

I played through Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 on SNES. I don't remember if I ever beat 3. Played through the 2.5D Donkey Kong Country Returns & Tropical Freeze as well. Tropical Freeze felt more like a DKC game than DK64 honestly, even without Kremlings.

Regardless, it might be nice to go back to that full-3D formula with free-roaming, exploration & even the rather tedious collectathon, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

My favorite DKC was 2, although DKC 1 had some really great levels too so it's a close call between 1 & 2.

Other urls found in this thread:

dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2>3>1

I'm new to the series, but I'm liking Frozen Dong so far, I hope they bring it to the Switch.

Also regarding the music, Rare's composer for the N64 was generally Grant Kirkhope, while they used David Wise for their SNES games. Grant did BK as well

Wise is overrated anyway. While Wise technically held the honorary title of Chief Composer, Eveline Fischer and Robin Beanland were the real reasons why DKC's music is so memorable. Wise's popularity and prominence is due to an overstated amount of misinformation from older nintendo forums trying to figure out why DKC's music is so good and did the typical thing of seeing the first name appear on the credits and ignore the rest of the names on the list. By himself, Wise has never really produced anything memorable but with the other two, suddenly his music is some of the best. It's a shame that it's gone this long and people still think they need him to get decent DKC tracks.

I always preferred 1 over 2 for some reason. Don't really know why, I just enjoy it more.

I've been playing this hack, really fun stuff. This guy even managed to change the music of some stages.

I like all the SNES games.

Fuck yeah user. Do you have any more of the sort?

Ever notice that mechanic in the DKC games where you can still jump a brief moment after falling off a ledge? When you roll off it's noticeable, but even when you're just running it works. It's a minor thing but it's seriously a godsend, makes the platforming much more enjoyable to me. I wish more platformers had it, especially when I'm playing some bullshit SMW romhack with ridiculous jumps.

Some DKC2 hacks i know are:
-Hard as Kongcrete
-DKC2: The lost levels
-Brigand Barrage (boss rush hack)

There are probably more but i haven't tested them all.
dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

Not sure if bait.

DKC is filled with a lot of subtle gameplay mechanics that everyone takes for granted.

There's lots of secrets that you can only reach by means of an extended jump like that

The extended jump made possible a better level design, since you use it to discover secrets on every stage.
They made it even better in DKC3 when they added the Water bouncing mechanic.

That's some good shit right there.

That's used to get literally one bonus barrel in the first world. They really never used it.

With that post you're telling me you didn't completed Riverside Race at all.

Sorry, two levels.

Well, its still useful for speedruns

How did Funky go from a surfer dude to a military grunt?

He has the greatest story arc from the entire franchise

He got 'nammed.

Just a guess.

I liked DKCR the most, but still have not beat it. I always get mad at the older DKC just because I hate having to replay 3 easy levels to fail on the fourth hard one.

Damn, I was just about to post this too.

Funky has also become a mechanic and a pilot. He has a very well-rounded mechanical skillset, and also likes to surf a lot.

I love this movie's ability to disorient throughout, so much doing on in each scene

The levels aren't actually that hard, fam

4:17
I can't into webm sorry

IT AINT ME INTENSIFIES

funky became a /k/ike.
ages ago Camelot software planning said they wanted to make a sequel to dk64. did anything come of that?

I always enjoyed the first game the most, it felt more satisfying actually playing as DK than the rest of the kongs imo

What happens to him? I never played DKC 3 or 64 for more than 10 minutes.

Donkey Kong is by far my favorite character, but then again I also happen to love monkeys in general.

The original Donkey Kong Country is my favorite other than that I love dk64, but never managedt o get 100%. I am not a fan of those new dk games that came out of the wii.

And this isn't just DEEPEST LORE wankery either - Wrinkly Kong was in DKC2, then reappeared as a ghost in DK64.

Dixie Kong is a crutch.

64 is my favorite
2 is the best though

tropical dong has the best bosses out of all the donkey kong gays

I bought it a long time ago, but never got around to playing it. Same with DKC:R, but I 100% it at my friend's house.

I only have the stock Wii U thing and no wiimote or controller, I don't even know if I can play it.

you can play it with the GAYpad

64 has the best single boss.

2 > 3 > tropical freeze > Returns > 1

all great games

DK64 is not a 2d platformer but it was great, albeit inferior to BK it was still an awesome game.

I really, really hope we get to see Dixie being a cool bubble-gum chewing, guitar playing tomboy that players think is a guy with long hair again. I dislike the new feminine dixie from tropical freeze.

If we ever get her for Smash 4 for the switch, I hope sakurai uses DKC2 as source material and not Tropical Freeze.

If you fellas can't get enough Dong, try the website DKvine.com . It's got loads of stuff to watch and read.

2 and Tropical Freeze are my favorites.

But she's a cute crutch.

It is surprising that they had a tomboy with long hair and pink girly clothes, when you look back on the era.

Nothing can beat DKC2, it's one of the games I consider near perfect. Make way for best soundtrack by the way.
However I still have fond memories of 3, in spite of or maybe because of how weird and backwards it was. It was infuriating at times, (emulating it a few years ago, I couldn't believe I managed to 100% it as a kid) but it did many refreshing things, from level themes to bosses.

The whole game is about collecting pointless items. All your abilities are based around collecting pointless items.
Donkey Kong 64 is a travesty.

Tropical Freeze da best, it's only issues are some of the bosses suck, namely the baboon and the pufferfish, the bonus levels are all shit, and the game doesn't have enough levels.

How the fuck.

How the fuck

How the fuck

Everything else is great, the level design is immaculate, individual levels exist as self contained stories a feature that the game absolutely didn't need but adds just that little bit more to it. In a world of easy games that give you it's hand to hold,Tropical Feelz isn't afraid of giving you it's back hand and telling you to work harder, and then giving you a hard mode after that.

There's a few other criticisms but I don't think they are anything really bad, the art style is more cartoony but I like it that way, the older games had really strong contrasting colours but I like the bright colours in Tropical Dong just as much.

Video is Donkey Kong difficulty progression.

So I'm not trying to validate my reasoning here but am I the only person that fucking never bothered to 100% DK3 and just cheated the materials in? I just don't find the idea of replaying a linear level again because I missed a small trinket fun.

Also post some of the more underrated comfy tracks in the series. We all hear the common ones like Stickerbrush but variations of embed related is hometown for me. Also Fungi Forest Day/Night version.

DKC1 was one of the games I ever bothered to master. My mom's hot friend had me %101 percent it for her. Managed 0:58, felt great. She'd sneak me booze after that, but never had the courage for anything else and was underage.

Not sure if this got popular, but at the end of the first level on DKC1 if you jump up on the cave, jump with the rhino then jump off the rhino fast enough you'll get a blue balloon and some other lives. Called Nintendo Power hotline about it and they didn't know. Sorry for the blog, game gives me feels for a happier time.

How well does 64 emulate?

1 is best fite me dixie wiafuists

I had this game way back when. I remember being surprised how long it was, but also how good it was to.

buy the original hardware

Also I know it's a DKC thread, but I just love SMB2 and Yoshi's Island. Fantastic games. Even SMB3 has fun secrets to find.

It's from Retro, they could do it.

I emulated it in RetroArch using Mupuen64 core which didn't work so well so I switched to GlupeN54 core which ran it fairly well all the way to completion. I had most shit turned off to avoid any further problems since the Mupen64 core's emulation became more & more fucked up over time. GlupeN64 however was fine. The only noticeable downside of GlupeN64 was it blurred textures on characters when they were far from the camera to such an extent that Diddy's pupils practically disappear. This doesn't happen with Mupen64 core, but I learned to live with it since Mupen64 core made the game unplayably glitchy after a while.

Jr is literally DK's father.

Fear Factory Remix

i like the oe with diddy kong in it.

Tiny's redesign is fuckable. I'm not even ashamed.