Shadowrun Returns

Is this a good game? Been meaning to give it a shot but I have too many doubts to even torrent it, I just don't want to waste my time with a game that I could probably hate.

Returns is a bit meh as far as the campaign goes since it was meant to be a basis for player made stories.
Dragonfall is alright if you can overlook a few of the CURRENTYEAR attitudes.
The Shadowrun system itself, at least the way it's implemented in the games, feels a bit shallow.

CRPG lite with an above average battle system, nice mood and writing. Very linear and lacking in depth when compared to old CRPGs, but above the standards of modern big budget AAA WRPGs.

Shadowrun Hong Kong shows just how much competant writing matters sometimes. In comparison to Dragonfall, it's gameplay is better except for the new matrix which is much worse but the story the same as the last one, only told in a much worse way.

The free expansion to Hong Kong is a lot better and also features an actual interesting choice at the end of the story and improved level design compared to the main game.

No, it's garbage. Dragonfall and HK are surprisingly enough solid

The original is straight bullshit.

Dragonfall is great.

Hong Kong is decent.

You should open a jewtube review channel. Your pretentious prattle banter is just right.

Dragonfall is bitchin user.

First game sucks. Dragonfall has the best story. HK has the best characters. Skip Returns and just play the other two. Heil Hitler.

For the last time they were literal cuckservatives, planing to gas pure humans and shit over kike manipulationspeaking off gas; kreutzreitter campaign, when?

Shock off, chummer. This is a /magic/ thread for /magic/ users only.

It's okay enough. But Dragonfall is better. And Hong Kong is betterer. It's grades upwards in quality, one of the few franchises that has that climb. It's not a drastic increase in quality mind you from one to the other, but a gradual increase in quality starting from an okay base is pretty nice for once.

Not sure what you mean. Both games have exactly 2 likable teammates (Glory/Eiger and Racter/Gaichu) and 2 uninteresting pieces of shit (Dietrich/Blitz and Gobbet/Duncan). Maybe you're giving Hong Kong the nod because it has isobel, who is not offensively boring enough to detract from her teammates?

Glory and Eiger were not particularly interesting characters. They were the best of what DF had to offer, but that doesn't make them good. Racter and Gaichu were both far superior to any of the people we met in DF.

/magic/ maybe, but definitely not /usedgoods/. Wakarimasu-ka, benny?

Something wrong with Dante?

Who the fuck uses Dante? And his entire arc is, "Did you pet him? Well then I guess he won't try to kill you at the end of the game."

There are ways to handle interactions/"conversations" with a dog to make it interesting. DA: Origins did a half-decent job with that. But Dante is a complete non-factor. So I don't include him as either a good or bad character.

And yet you rightly list her as a comparatively good character. Prove me wrong.

Considering her speeches, I bet she would have no issue if you turn her into your cumdumpster in front of the party to assert your authority.
Firewing best girl.

I should've expected as much.

No.

Dragonfall is great because it utilizes the setting pretty well and doesn't just feel like a generic cyberpunk setting.

If you minmax to an extreme, you might have some fun with the game. It's a bit too short for that, though.
Dropped at muh naht-zee mission because of muh-current-year overload. Characters were somewhat okay-ish, but since it's supposed to be an expansion to Returns it shares all it's faults to an extent. 9/10 it's okay.
One - this IS the place if you want to have fun doing different builds. However, missions are goddamn repetitive and mostly linear - expect to become bored with it on your second playthrough. True end is locked behind of bunch of bullshit that you do not want to go through every run.

Oh, and you can finally do a non-lethal run because Duncan can incapacitate (OHKO an enemy with no AP left) enemies every three or two turns. Beware though, while some dialogue reflects this, my game stopped counting knockouts as non-kills at some point - so my killcount was like 77 at the end of the run, even though I've only killed the final boss.

Oh yea the Matrix is god awful in HK.

I didn't like the Nazi mission either (and there is literally a "IT'S 2054!" dialogue option later) but when considering the overall setting and punk attitude it has it made sense. The other missions, especially Glory's story mission, redeemed the game.

I'm playing through dragonfall and felt the same way on the racist human politcalclub.

I just had to suspend my ideologies and push through it. I will say I was sad with how limited the conversation options were and the fact you couldnt side racists.

Overall though its bretty gud and it fulfills my hunger for cyberpunk after watching the shitty GITS trailer.

Also Unity is a piece of shit, but that's not really the game's fault.

You do know the movie is going to be shit and full of niggers, right?

fulfills my hunger for cyberpunk after watching the shitty GITS trailer.

We are never getting a decent cyberpunk movie ever again without it being 110% unschway pozz.

Atmosphere/story is okay. Combat system is shit, the kind of shit where you can miss 3 times in a row with 80% hit chance using a shotgun, no objects in your way.
Banner Saga got it right, the battle system, they just didn't add enough enemies to make it hard.
Everyone can decide for themselves if shitty combat and shot nerves are worth the rest of it.

Racter stops being interesting as soon as he drops that one bomb when digging into his backstory. Dialogue takes a nose dive from that point forward. And isobel is completely unlikeable.

Gas yourself. Duncan was mediocre, the russian dude was decent, the ghoul was top-tier, the rest were god-awful.

Racter and Gaichu were better than any other companions we've been given. Yeah, Duncan was mediocre and the other 2 sucked big time, but the entire cast of DF was Duncan-tier or below.

Dragonfall is some overrated shit. The writing is totally average and full of cliche characters, mysterious grill, tough grill, "bro" character even a fucking dog. The combat system is totally average and unenjoyable plus it has such annoying issues that you will probably end up raging at it. Like you are always forced into combat and 90% of the time the enemy goes first. The healing mechanic is also a frustrating mess. And unity engine looks and feels like shit to play.

I disagree with you about the quality of the writing and characters but you're dead on about the rest of it, the engine and interface is fucking dogshit and health management is a huge pain in the ass since out of combat you have to open one menu to see health numbers and a different one to use medkits and in combat you have that retarded last-wound-only healing which after the early game gets fucked over by everyone using DoTs and multi-shot weapons.

Also, I thought gobbet was okay

The base game is short and very linear, but it's still pretty fun for the ~6 hours it takes you to beat it.

Not this shit again.

The Megadrive and SNES games are worth a shot. They nail the whole cyberpunk shit pretty good.

I played about half of the SNES game and didn't like it because the combat was boring and the game was really obtuse about where you're supposed to go. Half the time there's no real way to guess where you have to go, it's just a case of going to every single location until you find the one that makes the game continue.
I did like the atmosphere and the point and click interface though. Is the Megadrive game better?

Every thread.

1-Shadowrun Returns is bad.

2-Shadowrun: Dragonfall is great.

3-Shadowrun: Hong Kong has the best gameplay and some of your party members are fucking awesome, but other party members are terrible, and the setting and story is sort of an acquired taste that will pull some people in, and push others away.

I personally had the most fun with Hong Kong.
Why?
Because you can chrome yourself up and use weapons installed directly in your arms to fuck shit up.
Basically, you can be cyberpunk wolverine.

Also yeah i agree that gobbet starts out bad, but then turns out to be a very interesting character that is for the most part pretty well crafted.
The conversations you have with her, especially regarding her past "scenarios", are fun.
But i usually don't bring it up because generally people on Holla Forums aren't smart or patient enough to explore a character past "shit's rad" or "shit's gay" so it's easier and quicker to just state that she sucks, and direct them to other characters.

The lack of dialog options in Dragonfall drove me crazy. Especially when you talk to Eiger at the beginning and she tells you some story about her Army time and you can't call her out on her bullshit behaviour. There's also another situation where she argues with you and you can not disagree with her. You can either agree with her, say something neutral or stay quiet. That pissed me of so much I quit the game.

I don't understand why that bitch is so popular with waifufags.

There are, unfortunately, plenty of people on this board with shit taste, who want to be fisted in the ass by a huge manly woman.

I did play through Returns and hoped Dragonfall would be better, but i quit partway through when I realized it was not, when I realized it was still the same sluggish bullcrap "strategy RPG" that just wasn't satisfying to interface with. And the plot wasn't that great either.

The saddest part is that even with the CURRENTYEAR writing it's still not as fucked up as the actual Shadowrun books now. That shit is still spiraling down.

Shit like this is in-fucking-tolerable. Railroading the player's actions is one thing, it can be understood, it can at least get the player to the fun parts of the game. But railroading your character's thoughts? Unforgivable.

You might as well skip returns it feels like a test game rather than an actual game.

Dragonfall is the peak and you should also grab Unlimited off the workshop. I've tried numerous times to get into HK but can't

Satellite Reign m8

If only all the isometric rpgs had a combat system as good as this gameā€¦

I heard that one has shitty AI and eyesore neon lights everywhere. I mean even more than what a cyberpunk game should have.

You heard right.

Every thread.

Wolverine a bitch. Real man use that cyberwhip to lay down the law of the whiteman into those ricenigger motherfuckers.

Buncha babies around here. The healing system is alright, the RNG is bullshit but less so than average RNGs (XCOM). Unity is shit, true.

Did I miss something where they were slightly understandable or even ambiguously right?
Because while the one orc protester guy was a bit of a sjw dindu advocate humanis planned to kill everyone in the Kreuzbasar so I really dont see how you could argue that they were anything but antagonistic.

Fighting Humanis is not the problem, the problem is not giving you the option to support them.
I mean, you can work for the Black Lodge and the Schockenwellenreiter, turn Glory into a demon-possessed slut, kill your party on an Aztechnology raid, give a dragon body to an amoral AI, but you can't support Humanis, that's over the line.

Ahh I see

You forgot

Implying she wasn't one to begin with

I remember in the early access days when a street samurai could dodge it's own weapon reload if he was using his buff on himself.
Also, you can feel the mobile faggotry on the gameplay, from the menus to the world interactions.

I remember 2 characters from dragonfall, Glory, Eiger. Both were good
I remember 2 characters from Hong kong. Gaichu and the literally psychopathic and literally autistic rigger. Only Gaichu was likeable.

you are given the option of doing so, though the leader has reason not to believe you considering you just murdered a bunch of his goons on top of you and your metahuman buddies were still pointing your guns at him

let alone how siding with Humanis could be realized, to make that work you'd have to create an entirely new story branch with its own characters, missions, hub, and endings to justify its existence, one most people would most likely gloss over considering most people aren't roleplaying racists (even moreso if they're playing as metahumans), as there's no way you can go back to the original story branch and your team of metahuman buddies once you join the Humanis puritans

major choices like that should be done in the first or last act of the game (like being able to betray all your teammates at the very end), although I forgot when you get to do the Humanis mission
Honestly, it's like berating Deus Ex for not letting you stay at UNATCO and help MJ12 to establish world dominance. The scope and resources required to pull off such a diverging branch (whereas Dragonfall is more streamlined and Humanis plays no major part in the Dragonfall story at all, meaning it'd essentially be a different game) is quite unrealistic
a mere "I DONT BELIEVE YOU" is about as good as it gets

there's plenty of stuff in Dragonfall to shit on, but an undeveloped superspecial racist side-branch is not one of them.

Returns-Writing is good, combat is eh, world is lively

-Dragonfall-Noticeably better combat, even better writing, great worldbuilding, plot feels relevant and personal

-Hong Kong-even better gameplay, but a way less compelling story. Feels impersonal and the main threat and areas talked about are hardly part of the game. Feels very unfocused.

I was very disappointed at how it failed to engage me. It was supposed to be build upon dragonfall, but a lot of the sequences in it feel like they're trying to recreate the magic Dragonfall had unsuccessfully. Feels like it was written by a completely different group.

Verdict-1 you play to get into the world, it's really not a bad experience, 2 you play because it's a great game, and 3 you play for gameplay to have fun with builds

BEST SONG

sjw hypocritical bullshit

I THOUGHT UNICORNS DIDN'T EXIST

There's hardly any of that in the games though, besides that one mission in dragonfall.

I think the overal tone of the games was like that. Whole world is fucked there because of "diversity" for the lack of better word, yet the games fail to realize that and actually try to make you think that defending the status quo is the morally right choice.

Yeah, the world is a clusterfuck of magic, monsters, humanoids, robots, and otherworldly beings

You're protecting the kreuzbasar in DF, which is one of the few areas in the world not controlled by a corp or a government. That's hardly a status quo. Hell, at the end you can choose to work for a Dragon instead.

kreuzbasar was a shithole too. But yeah, thats what Im talking about, even though the game gives you a choice to side with the villain, he is still a villain.

Turns out Kreuzberg is a shithole IRL too.