CRT Thread (Again)

Because the conversation seemed to still be rolling, up until the fucking reply function broke.

Any new finds, gents? I got a Viewsonic P810 off Craigslist. Seems like it hadn't been run for a long time, took forever for the colors to really begin to pop, but now it looks phenomenal.

Have a lead on a couple PVMs, an Ikegami TM14-16R and a Panasonic BT- M1310Y, but I'll likely only be able to get one, which should I jump at?

Other urls found in this thread:

michaelbrack.deviantart.com/art/The-Styx-305714384?q=MichaelBrack/5350229&qo=76
amazon.com/ASUS-PB258Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B00VRKVGJG
analog.com/en/products/digital-to-analog-converters/da-converters/adv7123.html
psx-scene.com/forums/f291/gs-mode-selector-development-feedback-61808/
thevinylfactory.com/features/8-easy-and-affordable-ways-to-clean-your-vinyl-records-by-hand/
github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
youtube.com/watch?v=7cSeW2MO-OY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications#I.2FO_processor
assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-are-there-any-hardware-mysteries-left.62325/
retrogamingcables.co.uk/
ebay.com/sch/wookieewin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
ebay.com/sch/retro_console_accessories/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc
retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/female-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-for-sony-pvm-monitors
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can go back any time.

Really, Mark, it's only these invaders that use this bullshit page-padding double spacing favored by lazy ass Baby Boomer professors.

more proof that crtfags should be gassed

He was never on Holla Forums, stop shitposting

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2414H
It looks like 10 times better than my CRT for old 2D games
The meme is dead

the main reason we use lcds today is first because of size weight and cost, second because the higher end ones do have better contrast and consistency. Most don't produce better images than a better crt though, and crt has hands down best input lag for video games.

i was thinking of getting a crt monitor, just to play quake as its intended, until i realise that john carmack was programming it in 1920x1080 crt and i don't have the cash for that

Wew lad, how's that look at any resolution not an exact even fraction of it's native res, let alone connected to a computer or other device that uses analog component inputs?

I'll be getting an HD Ikegami CRT soon. Very excited for that. If the Ikegami you're looking at has RGB support, get it OP. If not, look at the PVMs. I have that model of Panasonic and it's kinda so-so. RGB always looks good but I know my Ikegami and Sony monitors do better.

Afterburner 2 shots are from the Panasonic, Twinkle Star Sprites from the Ikegami and the Sonic Jam Sonic 1 shot from my BVM-D14H5U.

Wrong. LCDs will never produce better contrast than a CRT. LCDs contrast is forever hindered by its backlighting

The only real advantages LCDs have is taking up less space, being lighter, and consuming less power.

Scanlines are disgusting

Noice. Have you color calibrated it at the hardware and software level yet?

34 Brightness, 75 contrast on the monitor, pic related at the software level. It'll change your life.

The monitor let you pick the aspect ratio manually to fix the fraction issues that is why I boguth this one

you don't know what scanlines are

Not yet, I got it like 2 hours ago and have it in the same room as my old TF monitor and my IBM "good" CRT the difference is abysmal

Will look at it tomorrow but default calibration looks good at the moment, I can just reset it if I fuck up anything, right?

Enjoy your scaler lag.

Gotta see if my roomie knows anybody near where the thing is at before I bother bidding on it. It does indeed have RGB.

pfft

Oh man, you don't even know. With the settings I linked it will look significantly nicer. I almost forgot, on your monitor for 'Color Settings' use 'Custom' and set the RGB values to 95, 96 and 97 respectively.
Yes, there is a factory reset option under the 'Other Settings' menu.

After you've finished all of the settings, open up a picture of your choice and swap between 'Other Applications control color settings' and 'Use nvidia settings'.

It'll be night and day.

all these tweaks and you're still stuck with 8 bit color. a real waste of time

I have a 7870, AMD radeon settings is crappy

oy vey, don't buy LCD! The stock is almost out! You want to buy OLED! I-It's not like the sets only last 3 years at full brightness or anything, just think about it! Everything is better on OLED! Truly CRT is dead now more than ever!

WEW

Anything to justify your overpriced, ugly CRT purchase :^)

you do know what the bpc means right? It's bits per (color) channel. Meaning it's 8-bit. You retard, you don't know anything about displays.

8bit per channel = 24bit you mong. Do you know how fucking awful color banding would be if it was true 8 bit? Jesus christ you're retarded.

Are you really this retarded? I can't call you LCD fags because an LCD fag would at least KNOW something about LCDs. Please fuck off back to reddit you know nothing imbecile.

Not sure you understand the concept of value. I mean, you bought a fucking Dell.

a fucking 8-bit monitor no less. Retards sure are easily parted with their cash. I really can't even take someone who is praising the colors of their trash display.

Yet another hipster thread. Boy, I sure do love playing on a shitty, heavy tv with crappy resolution despite having superior options!

Not an argument, kiddo :^)

That image looks like shit. Don't tell me you're the original hardware sperg that I blow the fuck out in every emulation thread, because you post just like him.

Still no argument found, just more self congratulatory CRT wankery over your ugly hipster display.

The only thing I'm buying is what's affordable and cost effective, my eyes not bleeding is simply a bonus you cancerious hipster shit.

this is how a fag tries to save face and it's a little pathetic. Kindly fuck off, you've already proven yourself to be a gigantic idiot.

Boy I sure do love anything that isn't running at precisely native resolution looking like someone smeared Vaseline on my screen, plus frames and frames of inherent lag.
And oh man, in 4-5 years I get to buy ANOTHER one when my backlight starts burning out. Joy! It's so much fun handing all my money over to companies that intentionally sank infinitely superior SED tech in favor of cheap-as-fuck LCDs because the profit margins were better

hold on nigger, he actually thinks he has a 24-bit display

holy fukc im dyign

That image should look like dog shit. It's a consumer grade TV. Still looks infinitely better than it would connected to an LCD.

Also OH user sounds like he's correct, as Genesis emulation still can't get the sound and timing right, so by all means, keep playing your roms on a soulless program that can't even accurately run a piece of software from 30 years ago.

I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Hahahah, I fucking knew it was you. Yeah, we're done here, this is the last (You) you get from me.

If you wasn't poor you should know how a proper IPS screen looks like and you could stop raiding dumpsters to find old screens that will look like shit and give you cancer

Just leave this faglords with their autism, thank for the calibration advice

Look who's fucking talking, faggot.

aww he's gone. Hey, since you're going to see the thread but aren't going to reply because now everyone knows how fucking dumb you are, you don't have a 24-bit display. There's 3 parts to your LCD's pixels. Each one has a RGB value. 8 bits per value. Not many options there, about 16.7m colors in total for single pixel. FYI there's 10-bit, and even 12-bit displays now. No, this does not mean it's a 36-bit or 30-bit display. That is not how displays work, you little retard. My advice is do a little research, and regret your purchase while you fuck off, you insipid shit.

I was curious, since I don't really buy many consumer electronics for work, your monitor isn't even true 8-bit. It's 6-bit with FRC. God damn you got fucked good.

What is lead glass, you mongoloid. You get a bigger dose of radiation nuking hot pockets in your mom's fucking kitchen.
Enjoying that 1000:1 contrast ratio, ghosting and unavoidable response time delay?
Says the faggot wasting money on short-lived LCD monitor after short-lived LCD monitor.

I can't find an anime girl smug enough for this.

Here, have Azel and Azel for now.

post pics nigga, that's gotta be amazing.

So looking forward to my Scan Doubler arriving so I can begin truly enjoying this monster.

What do you need a scan doubler for?

Are OLEDs really as good as CRTs quality wise? Been thinking about getting a new TV

OLEDs are very nice, but they have a really bad problem with their longevity. The suggested use is to run them at half brightness and the best estimates say they'll last 5 years. They have great blacks that rival CRT, and great picture, but the longevity is a seriously problem. One of my BVMs has a run time of nearly 9 years and it's showing no problems. That's a run time, by the way, as in, powered and showing video for about 9 years straight and it shows no issues.

Converting yPbPr and RGB into VGA standard.

A different route than what I'm targeting. I figure a CRT with 1080i will be the most I'll ever need. I don't plan to run things in 1080i so I'll be using the 720p mode pretty much exclusively. I want to experiment with 7th gen systems on them, but mostly have it for up to the original xbox. That is my plan for the HD Ikegami.

Daily Reminder

I fucking love my CRT, and I gotta get some more.

I got the wii with snes9gx or whatever running but it doesn't seem to have a 240p option. Ordered an sd card reader to try retroarch instead but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Either way miles ahead of pc emulation with lcd and ultra responsive.

use retroarch and of course run your games in 640x240. In my tower-o-CRT picture I'm running retroarch's snes9xgx core on the bottom right monitor.

That's bullshit. LCD has up to 10x the contrast for typical picture content. What you mean is that, under specific circumstances, CRT has far better black level.

My EA275UHD has barely changed in maximum brightness over 4000 hours.

Every single homo that besmirches LCD loves to shill SED without an iota of knowledge related to SED manufacturability.

Still better than the 200:1 on greater than 40 APL with CRT. This is without introducing perceptual contrast where LCD blows CRT out of the water.

do you have an artist name for that poster

Opinion Discarded

Also lol LCDs have to use constant brightness and contrast adjustment to compete with the actual 10000+:1 contrast of CRT

I'm not going to cite on what should be appropriate knowledge on CRT behaviour.

10000:1 is dishonest.

Maybe you should take your own advice.

Not sure if anyone is interested in trying something like this, but hey…
I've bought pic related, the Lkv 7600 Component to Vga adapter, supposedly made by Lenkeng on ali express to play my Wii and PS2/PS1 on a pc CRT monitor and I've got to say, 3d games look REALLY beautiful on it. I've used the manual lag test on 240p test suit and got 0~1 frames of lag, so I definitely recommend it if anyone want a nicer picture for 3d games.
2d games also look better, but to get them to look GORGEOUS I use retroarch with some light CRT filters on the CRT monitor and the result is really impressive. Regular PC CRT monitors are dirt cheap so I guess they are a decent alternative for a pvm or something.

Welcome to the world of ultrasharp displays. You'll never be able to come back from it.

Also, as their resolution reaches critical mass, high resolution displays will be able to perfectly emulate CRT signals. A 4k monitor can already perfectly emulate a 240p CRT signal, or rather, it has the real estate necessary to emulate every ray line to its basic components (the software part of the emulation, contrast ratio and input-lag are another story). In the not far-off future (

How's it work in 240p modes?

Yeah, okay, faggot, you're grasping at straws now.

Seems good. But the $40 price tag is a little steep. Can you post some photos/webms of the end result?

Stop acting like a newfag

Would like to see a comparison between it and the $15-$20 GBS8200 clones on ebay

what a time to be alive

Will try to once I get home. Never noticed the price was a bit high… I guess it looked cheaper then everything else because of the free international shipping.

I believe the lowest resolution that it outputs is 480p, but I think that the 240p mode on virtual console worked just fine, but I'll try that again once I get home.
I play everything on 1280x1024 and it never had any issue upscaling, and never noticed any more lag than while playing on 480p. Maybe I should test that again, just to be sure.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, Ive tested if the thing could get rid of the black borders on the image from a PSP when connected with the component cable, but no luck.

As long as it converts 240p to 640x480, that's all I care about.

the next decade will be glorious

You'd need shaders to correctly emulate a CRT.

an user in the CRT thread on /vr/ pointed me to it

michaelbrack.deviantart.com/art/The-Styx-305714384?q=MichaelBrack/5350229&qo=76

awesome, thanks a bunch

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I love you, OP. Folk who keep tech alive fucking rock, I wish I had never gotten rid of my monster 40" CRT TV, but it weighed a metric fuckton.

DO ANY OTHER CHAIN STORES STILL CARRY THESE?

I haven't checked salvation army yet, but Goodwill doesn't seem to carry them either.

Craigslist, nigga. Also try surplus/liquidation auction sites.

Hijacking this thread: what's a good monitor?
I want to change my 10 years old one but i know jack shit about it
1080p? 1440p? 2160p? 60Hz? 144Hz? Acer? Samsung? LG?

IPS or TN? What are you using it for?

Nigger, there's already a Monitor thread on Holla Forums, and your question is suited more for Holla Forums than Holla Forums.

I need your budget and main purpose of use.

Think for half a second. Do you think high end displays would be advertising 10bit as a premium thing if your display somehow was 24bit?

Reading and game, probably drawing too.
Budget 4-500 euro, can go overboard if necessary.

Didn't check the catalog sorry user.
I'm going to try here first, same interest and people seem to know their shit

>>>/vr/
Seriously fuck off.

I use one of these which is pretty nice, though I don't know a lot about monitors.
amazon.com/ASUS-PB258Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B00VRKVGJG

Because yeah, there's soooo much traffic over on /vr/

What's the big deal? You can probably find people using CRT displays in arena shooters (not necessarily old ones either) for the lower input latencies.

Gaming and reading/drawing have some conflicting things you need to address.

If you have a top notch videocard go for a high pixel density display like because those are amazing for reading and drawing/illustration. If your videocard is something like in the gtx 960 tier or lower you'll probably have to settle with 1080p monitors to play at [email protected]/* */ resolution.

If you aren't a moviebuff don't fall for the 21:9 meme. Although, some 21:9 monitors have a nifty feature of becoming two separate displays, which is breddy good if you are a multitasker and don't want to shell $ on a second panel, so keep that in mind.

IPS monitors are the better option at that pricerange and I think the best bet for manufacturer is benQ/ASUS if you want gaming performance (ie. low lag). But that's not my expertise, I think other anons have a better idea of a good gaming monitor manufacturer. I personally use Dell USharps because I work with print and a sharp, wide-gamut display is basically mandatory for my work, though they aren't ideal for gaming as they tend to have very high pixel density and average to high input lag.

For gaming, probably as near-to-generic Samsung LCD panel. Research what models are available. AVOID HDTVS LIKE PLAGUE.

Though if you're into /vr/ or competitive stuff, get on craigslist and find a good CRT. At they intended resolutions they make reading a fair bit easier due to the natural gaussian blur of the display, naturally softening the hard edges of fonts. Good for reading, but not that great for things that need to by hyper sharp at max resolution. This gaussian blur also reduces the need for Anti-Aliasing and helps to make movement seem that extra little bit smoother.

But the one place CRTs really shine is how well they handle non-native resolutions, given their design. Where LCDs have to scale, causing lag and blur, CRTs can just draw the lines of the screen differently without scaling or having to process anything, which is why they work so well for gaming, especially if you play stuff that isn't AAA new releases.

Also, damn man, natural scanlines in Doom. Looks so fucking sharp. Pic related is my monitor running in 640x480. You will never see an LCD look that good at a non-native resolution.

How about QDLEDs? How do they compare to CRTs and OLEDs quality wise? Longevity wise?

Thanks user. I should change videocard too but i'm waiting for better prices/ new releases for now. I'll probably go with or see a Dell.

I should have an old,hoping working, Sony CTR down somewhere and another at my parents home.

Thanks for the help anons

they pop up pretty often, just check like once a day.

haven't seen anything about them yet, don't really care to be honest

Are there any infographs or shit like that on making degaussing coils?
It gets annoying some times, but I don't want to drop 30$ just to fix the little slightly purple blob in the top right of my screen.

try changing the compass direction your CRT is facing. Also, leaving one of mine powered off for a week has removed any sort of discoloration.

This. The magnetic poles of the earth have some affect on it. Also remove any magnets that may be near by.

There's magnets everywhere, so think outside the box.

And while I'm asking, KV-32FX68U's are pretty okay, right? I may be grabbing one for 2$.

Looks pretty modern. a flat screen 16:9 CRT? If it were anything but a BVM I would say it might have some processing in there somewhere like a lot of the CRTs right before the switch to HD have. I swear I saw one with HDMI in on the back on a street corner once.

I don't know very much about the types of inputs they support, and it looks gigantic. Be careful moving that thing.

Holy shit, that thing has RGB Scart.

Sorry dude, I have no idea to take decent pictures of a crt screen. The picture don't even come close to doing it justice, the colors on the crt monitor are just gorgeous!

Oh, and here are some pictures of how a game can look with a scanlines filter on a crt monitor.

What scan doubler you using? Your images look really sharp.

Bought my Panasonic off ebay new in sealed box. Some warehouse find of about 10 or 15. It was around $65 shipped.

Oh shit nigga are they still up?

CRT and LCD both have their ups and downs.

Sorry it was a few months ago. keep an eye on "vintage TV" there are some nice items from time to time.

I suppose this is somewhat relavant
Is there a menu setting(s) I can change or some preset to help with this?

On those pictures I was just running the vga signal of the computer straight into the monitor and using retroarch with a scanline filter.

if you are running the games in 640x240 you won't need to fake scanlines

I have the monitor resolution set kind of high when using retroarch, and never messed with the internal resolution on the configs.
This way looks fine to me, and I don't really want to mess with the configs, as I don't know what most of them do.

but its 480i + scanline isn't it?

I tried this once but the flickering was unbearable at least on a consumer grade trinitron

oh don't even try man, the conversion in these Chinese cards is terrible, i got one for $15 to connect an MVS into a Plasma screen and the colors came washed out also with a bit of blur

Are the official ones any better?

Hardcore Quakefag here. This is true. Lower latency sure, but that's not the main reason. I like that dank color depth, motion quality and refresh rate. Mine does 160hz ezpz. I got it brand new for a deal last December or so. It's a professional graphics design monitor. People throw around the word hipster in here but you can never go back tbh. It also helps I've been a CRT autist for like, fucking forever.

This is by far the BEST thing about CRTs.

Nice LD player fam. I thought I was the only one on 8ch autistic enough to like them.

PS2 ashit not going well. Started the PS2 with all the right gear the seller who sold it to me gave me. So it uses SwapMagic, HDD inserted with network adapter and a USB pen on the front with HDloader I think.

When I first booted it up I got an error about no HDD, so I made sure that was fitted and now I get no error, but nothing happens once I get to a screen for DMA settings. Controllers inputs dont seem to do anything. Bit stuck here, will ask seller during the weekend.

Also about the wii, retroarch does indeed allow you to choose 240p for scanlines. All is well. But I needed to buy official nintendo component cables to try them out next cause me cheap chinese cables have started making the screen flicker in parts constantly.

Use OPL. HDLoader is only good for compatibility reasons. That nigger even gave you an outdated version of HDLoader, which hasn't seen a meaningful update since 2007.

No, that is a regular vga pc crt monitor connected to a pc sendind a normal video signal, so the video signal is progressive, so no flickering.
When I connect it to the wii or ps2 with an adapter the video is also converted to progressive (I think…sure looked like it), so there's no need to worry about flickering with this kind of setup.

I need some advice. I recently bought Jvc tm-1700 pn. It only has composite and s-video inputs. Should i mod my sega mega drive so it can output s-video or do i just stick with the composite?

Depends on how much money & time you want to spend on that mod. This is really a personal choice. If it were me I would get a different monitor that does RGB so you have a proper setup.

S-Video isn't a bad choice. The mod costs pennies, and isn't that hard. Hell, if it's a clean looking mod, I'd consider it a net increase in value, similar to re-capping a TurboDuo.

BTW, I did my own S-Video mod on my Genesis. Since the RGB and S-Video are coming from the same chip, they both look about as good as they can, though there can be a bit of noise from the composite video trace on both RGB and S-Video. Sadly the only fix there is to permanently disable component video by trace cutting. Not entirely worth it, considering the noise is minor and only shows up on dark blues.

The television's set up with a WII and PS2 through a component switch. The computer's got a 75mhz Pentium and 130MB of RAM. I'm currently running Windows 98 and Slackware 12.2 on the PC, and I'll probably try to get Windows 3.1 in there when I'm not feeling lazy.

My fellow of elevated melanination.

There are no true QD displays on the market yet, in fact the technology hasn't even yielded laboratory prototypes capable of full video display.

So-called QDLED displays are in fact LED backlit LCDs that use QDs to filter the backlights prior to the LC shutters. Basically the same false advertising used to befuddle consumers into thinking "LED TVs" are anything more than LCDs with funny backlights.

Will be getting one of these shortly.
Literally one of the top 5 crts of all time.

VGA cable arrived for my Dreamcast.
Threw in Guilty Gear X
mfw

Is anyone still interested in VGA line doublers, or did everyone that wanted a CRT buy a PVM already?

I'm interested, since the only PVM I can reach is $175 fucking dollars

Check government surplus auctions.

What model Ikegami?

Found so many monitors…. In fucking Ohio.

Like, one site has four Ikegami 19" HD models up. If I could afford the trip out there, I'd snag them in a fucking heartbeat

ikegami 2050R. The second best monitor they ever made.

get those pallets shipped to your house son

Ordered 2 memory cards with Free Mcboot to try and get the PS2 working for free games with the HDD. These should be all up to date and shit unlike the one I have, Bought a smaller one I expect to arrive quicker and a larger one with more software. I can sell the one I don't need later.

It's more an issue of having to wait for delivery everytime something doesn't work and being at work 12 hours a day so don't have much time to research. I ordered the CRT 2 weeks ago, then ordered the wii, ps2, component cables for each (that stop working), then sd card readers, yadda yadda, all the time adds up. First world problems.

How much would you be willing to pay for a competent no-frills RBG-to-VGA line doubler? I've thought about making a product out of that but I don't know if there are enough potential customers to justify it.

Interesting i was thinking about doing the reverse, basically a Raspberry Pi that outputs 15khz RGB on several SD resolutions, but i am struggling to find a proper DAC

Ah i get you, yes i do the same with a nice PC CRT i own, thinking about buying a second one of the same brand in case this one dies suddenly. What makes it great is a "superbright" function that helps a lot when you use a scanline filter.

It's not necessary but you can increase the resolution to a super sharp one like 3840 x 480 and then use the "interlaced" shader on Retroarch, the results are pretty decent, even at 1280 x 960 if you do not want to manually configure the monitor resolution.

$40-$50 if it comes with a case

Teach me, sensei

I recently snagged an HD Trinitron 16:9, but I havent played any HD games on it yet. Bayonetta's probably a good game to try, though

I have an HDCRT. Nice for new games, however, not too many new games worth playing.

The cost of shipping, hell, I could spend less going there, staying a night in a shitty hotel, and driving back.

Checked. Enjoy.

I need to do more research to find the best and most cost effective video DAC, but the NeoVGA uses the ADV7123 which should be more than adequate:
analog.com/en/products/digital-to-analog-converters/da-converters/adv7123.html
You will probably need an FPGA or CPLD to drive it, though. I don't know if the Pi has any support hardware that would help.

checked
That would be a nice price point as a consumer, but here is my ballpark on the costs:
FPGA $10-15
Video ADC $5-15?
Video DAC $5-10
PCB $5 + amortized setup cost
Case $10~ for a standard enclosure, considerably more expensive for a custom case with the amortized cost of the injection mold
Connectors $5-10
Assembly not sure, say $2-5. Can be $0 if I assemble myself by hand but that greatly reduces scale, will waste components as I inevitably fuck boards up, etc
Various passives $5
Power supply $5-10?
Shipping all the damn components to the assembly house $10-20
Box and label $5
Total: Around $67-110, much more for a fancy custom case.

Those are very conservative estimates. I could definitely cut the costs significantly, but it should give you some idea of how expensive it can be to manufacture niche products like this. Consider that you should be selling at around 3x the cost it took to make in order to be make a worthwhile profit, and suddenly the cost of products like the Framemeister doesn't seem so outrageous.

I don't think that user wanted "fancy" so much as "a box enclosing the PCB"

Also, damn son, well I suppose that's about fair. Honestly if you can whip up a working prototype and get the word out… I hate to suggest it, but that is the sort of device that kickstarter is made for. It might not bring the parts cost down, but it would definitely help bring production costs down, and you'd pretty much get a good feel for exactly what kind of demand is out there.

I've got more interesting & potentially profitable projects that I'd like to work on first, so this is on the back burner. Maybe some day when I've got money in the bank and a name for myself.
I'll absolutely do preorders before I manufacture anything, but I haven't decided if I'd ever use Kickstarter. 8-10% is a lot to pay for the "kickstarter audience" when I could post directly on forums and social media instead.
Similarly I'd probably sell directly to consumers (or perhaps only sell through group orders). More work and risk but distributors take way too large of a cut.
Vid related is a great overview if you're interested.

Fair enough, get enough committed orders, buy the parts and produce enough to fill the orders, that way you remain mostly liquid, with as little unsold stock as possible.

A-at least there's no input lag!

lol no shit, CRTs are good to play old games on, if you're doing literally anything else there's really no reason to not just have a newer monitor.

Input lag is a myth made to sell CRTs.

Monitors have display lag, not input lag

The only edge LCDs have is relative size, and energy efficiency. That's it. The CRT dickstomps them on every other metric.

Oh, forgot to point out something.
You ever notice how we never saw special glasses for looking at computer monitors, or dark themes for websites before LCDs came along? That's because CRTs generate their own light via phosphors, while LCDs have to use a backlight to push light through the LCD itself, meaning the whites appear retina-searingly over bright.

you must be 18 or older to use this website user

One thing I've sometimes wondered about with my layman's knowledge of EE is if there's some solid-state analog component or circuit that could do the job of an SRAM. Just enough to store a single line of analog video signal and copy it. If so, it would be possible to make a line-doubler without the ADC-DAC stages.

Both of those are exaggerations of course. A fairer summary of advantages is:
CRTs:

LCDs:

Of course, other technologies like OLED, LED, and SED/FED have all of CRT's advantages except flexibility (being pixel-based) and none of LCD's limitations, but they're all probably going to be killed in the cradle worse than plasma. Even eInk could meet or beat LCD in every metric with reasonable amounts of R&D funding, plus the unique advantage of permanently retaining images in a powered-off state.

Anybody else remember pic related? True, some were designed to give tight viewing angles for security/privacy purposes, but many weren't. I think the glasses are just a goofy fashion trend, like mouse cord springs or keyboard gel pads.

I used to use a hood for my lacie electron 22 blue iii. That was an absolute god of a computer monitor. I'm imagining my Ikegami HTM-2050 will be my next pride and joy.

The thing is, I don't advocate CRTs as a replacement for LCDs. I think now they are specialized monitors which excel at certain things, and if you do a lot of those things, you are making a smart choice in using a CRT. Classic games? Reflex intensive games? CRTs are your pick. But you aren't likely to be running them constantly. Even when I'm jamming out on my Saturn with a bud playing twinkle star sprites, we're playing for 30 minutes, an hour or two hours at a time. It's not running 24/7. The increased power draw really doesn't matter.

The funny thing is, I imagine people who are saying this literally have PCs with 800 watt PSUs running 12+ hours a day. Nigger, they don't pay their damn electric bill.

CRTs are also pretty much superior to LCDs in any performance related matter, but that's a different story.

CRTs consume too much power.

you do too

Are old crt TVs better than old computer crt monitors? I'm asking because PC monitors have way higher resolution.

VGA CRTs are superior.

Call me when I can buy an 2560x1440 SED display.

professional CRTs are better than VGA monitors

depends what you want really. If you're playing classic games? You want to do it at their native res, most of the time its 240p, occasionally 480i, and gen6 it's 480i-p and sometimes 720p-1080i. The latter is extremely rare. VGA makes it a bit of extra work to get these systems hooked up, but it's perfectly fine to use these monitors. They are usually higher quality overall.

TVs are a bit more convenient, but unless you're scoping out some specific brands like sony or mitsubishi electronics, you are gonna be getting some undesirable results.

Also factor in whether or not you're into original hardware or settle with emulation. It's a bit sloppy. I personally wanted the best of the best, so I go with original hardware and professional monitors, which are the best around, period.

VGA monitors are professional CRTs.

they can be, but they aren't always. Some are, and they are very good (I had a lacie one I adored, and a trinitron for home use) but I'd be lying to you if I told you they were better than my BVMs or Ikegami's for what I use them for.

That's basically what a delay line is. Problem is you aren't just sending the same signal out twice, it needs to be stepped up from 15khz to 31khz, scanning out each line twice as fast. There is probably a purely analog way to do that, but it would surely result in more noise than ADC->buffer->DAC

An 800w PSU is not using 800 watts at all times. Each component draws only as much current (and thus uses as much power) as it needs. Modern computer components are pretty good about stepping down when they aren't in heavy use.

For retro gaming, sure, but for PC usage they can't match the resolution and refresh rate of a VGA CRT.

Hoods and filters are different, one is to prevent environmental glare on your shiny CRT (whither matte-finish flat panels?), the other is goony voodoo for people too silly to adjust the gamma on their monitor correctly. Speaking of which, didn't those Lacies come with a suction-cup calibrator?

I would generally say that a good CRT beats any LCD for every imaginable application other than text/lineart (office work, shitposting, engineering, etc.) I use both whenever possible, for that reason.

Most CRT SDTVs produce awful color and detail, but even the worst produce perfect motion for older (4th-gen and prior) platforms. Given the low resolution and small palettes of such games (generally no higher than 320⨉240, as low as 160x200 for many 2nd/3rd-gen games), this is a good compromise. CRT SDTVs are also cheap, abundant, and very easy to use with most PC video cards if you choose to do so. For nearly all >6th-gen and most 5th-gen games games though, a CRT HDTV or VGA monitor is of course vastly superior.

There are also a small number of high-end CRT SDTVs, old interlaced-scan PC monitors (like the Commodore 1701), arcade monitors, and of course professional BVMs, with features like much higher picture quality, RGB/component/S-video input, and aperture grille tubes, which will produce essentially perfect results on classic games.

That said, the use of properly configured emulators on even the worst VGA CRT monitor will produce an overall experience that is arguably superior to originally intended hardware. Even for the oldest and most hardcore of 2D console and arcade games, some emulators like ShmupMAME can actually undercut input lag that existed in native hardware.

VGA monitors are intended for progressive-scan, with phosphors whose ignition-decay intervals are best for framerates above 75 FPS. They produce a variety of undesirable color/spatial/motion artifacts when directly displaying SDTV signals.

I can't help but wonder, having seen some old analog "computers" and audio/video processors from the 1960s-1980s period doing amazing things in realtime and at reasonably high precision. It seems like such a device could eliminate lag, and possibly be much cheaper.

Turns out you need to set PS2 to component in settings to get video that way, wasted £4 on some shitty component cables.

Free Mcboot memory card arrives, insert into PS2. Switch on. Logo appears, black screen after, nothing happens.

I'll look into it purely out of curiosity, but I can't see an analog solution being better in any way. You have to buffer a full line at a time one way or another, that's the same negligible 60~ microseconds however the buffer is implemented.

There's a way to force most i-scan games into p-scan and upscale all the way to 1080p60 or SXGA, purely in software using the PS2's own GS chip:
psx-scene.com/forums/f291/gs-mode-selector-development-feedback-61808/

Got Free Mcboot working. When I choose Open PS2 Loader I get a black screen after. When I choose ESR it seems to work but it means I'm going to have to burn every fucking disc which is a pain in the dick. I want to be able to load games from the PS2 HDD which I will put games on. Dunno if OPL does that and I won't have the memory card that has HDloader until next week it seems.

That aspect ratio & lack of contrast hits me right in my Autism.

Can't edit the IDE drive for ps2 because the device shows up as unknown device on PC, no brand no driver thing. Tried putting the games on external USB drive but can't get game list to show up because circle button does nothing or something. Going fairly terrible. Ooficial wii component cables are perfect though.

How does it compare to a Sony BVM?

arguably ikegami's are better

In what way are they better? I'm curious. Do they use a different type of grill or something?

ikegami uses shadowmask and unlike the one way curvature of a trinitron aperture grille tube, they use a traditional style of rounded bulb for the CRT. Ikegami is an extremely niche brand that largely targeted two sectors, the low end black-white security market, and the high end broadcast and film studio market. Sony's B/PVM line had a wider range of appeal, BVMs were meant for all types of TV studios and were also intended to be used in high end film production, but Ikegami had a massive edge here in targeting that market specifically as opposed to broad stroking it with say, selling the same kind of monitor to a news channel and a hollywood studio. Ikegami was also very popular with sports broadcasting, which I'd argue is the highest end of fidelity for television broadcasts.

They are different, both are tremendous, but I find the quality of picture an Ikegami monitor produces to be far more organic, with a more natural feel to the image produced. Sony monitors are sharp, incredibly sharp to the point that you can identify each individual pixel in an image, a trait which may be a bit obscured on an Ikegami CRT.

The more colors you introduce, I feel you'll get a better image out of an Ikegami set. This makes them more desirable for 4th gen and up to me. This is not to say Sony monitors do not do these games justice, but such a level of clarity, especially on the 5th and 6th gen games may reveal shortcomings in the lower quality visuals that would be more organically represented by Ikegami CRTs. Still, this is not intended to devalue Sony monitors for the same purpose, but there are major advantages in different areas with different types of displays. Also a big perk of Ikegami sets, is the video monitors (not the security monitors) almost always have RGB/YPbPr standard, so no expensive option boards to hunt down. Plus their name brand has much less of a pedigree to inflate the cost.

I was worried I had wasted a whole bunch of money but I got the PS2 games working via external USB HDD with OPL, dunno why but I just started whacking on the buttons and the game list finally appeared. So it does work. Think load times may be slower with external, really need to figure out how to get fucking IDE control on PC and not "unknown device". Though my cheap component cable is fucking garbage.

you're really missing out on major convenience

So after 2 days of fucking around and frustration I've got the internal HDD method working, and holy fuck those loading times. Problem with external USB is any pre-rendered movies, which some games just flat out skip them because the USB 1.0 can't keep up or audio streams dropping completely for same reasons. So it all wasn't a waste of money, little gizmos and all. Now I need to figure out how to play PSX games with OPL through the internal HDD and my setup is completely perfect.

Also I tried SSX3. I liked Tricky a lot back in the day and played a little of SSX3 before I ditched consoles for PC. I bought it in 2008 when I had an Xbox for a little while for backwards compatibility. Seemed like a serious case of rose tint. Tried it on gamecube emulator had the same feeling. Tried it on PS2 with my trusty CRT today….

CRT was never a meme

The way crts handle the image of these games is the best. You can get an ok picture from component video on an hd display, but there is no denying how much of an upgrade it is to get the higher quality signals on a crt. There's an undeniable blur introduced in upscaling and the processing lag helps nothing. They are meant to look sharp, clean, and not have a shitty blurriness across the screen.

I forgot to mention goys, the component cables I've been buying must actually have been fine, the problem is that they are picking up interference from all the other shit I have plugged in nearby at the same time which makes the display go all shitty. Is there anything to remove this short of buying the "official" component cables? It solved the wii one for sure, guess lower quality cables = easier to interfere.

Try isolating mains power between groups of devices using UPSs or surge suppressors, it sometimes spreads just through that rather than as RF through the air.

It really is a shame that we have so many people buying into the CRT meme. I realize now that they will never listen to reason. That's fine though as long as an understanding is reached regarding this matter:
You do not like games nor do you play them very often. You have CRT autism.

If you ever figure out how to run PS1 games off an internal hard drive, please share. Would be nice to see if the load times are better.

Holy shit, found a PVM 20 in my area, but guy wants nearly $200 for it. Help me pull the trigger on this one Holla Forums

Ever heard of haggling?

Not in much of a position, though might see if he'll throw in some cables if he has them. It's more than fair considering ebay rate is $300+

Compare to completed listings online, bring up how at least $50 of what the guy is asking for is usually shipping to get him down to $150 or lower.

If possible, bring something running the 240p test suite so you can check it for geometry & convergence problems. A rasberry pi, hacked wii, or even an old console that can run it would work.

I don't have RGB cables.

I found a good CRT on craigslist and was about to go pick it up, but the fuckhead canceled last minute because because he didn't want to part with it and reduce his "collection" of like 4 high-end CRTs. Fuck you, sick people. If you going to sell one then sell one.

There's one obvious reason aside from collecting to hoard old electronics, tragically. Spare parts

The fuck are you trying to get a PVM for then? S-Video? BTW, you don't need RGB out to use the 240p test suite, it just helps with clarity when doing your tests. Shame you can't buy a new 20M2MDU like I did. Used ones show up for $200-$400 on eBay constantly though, so for that price you may as well have one delivered to your house. Good luck user.

27:30 in there's an interview with the Retired Sony Technician I I bought my BVM-D24E1WU from,for those of you interested.

One step at a time, user. RGB cables are in the works. I actually would prefer to build them myself. Not out of jewishness, but out of a genuine desire to just do things for myself.

The bitch of it all is finding fully populated SNES and PS connectors, holy shit why are these things proprietary. Even the Saturn uses a standardized DIN.

You I like. That's an attitude more people, not just here, but in general, that people should be striving for. If I can ever get a hold of a house with a decent garage or workroom that allows me to Solder without setting off a fire alarm then I'm probably going to be doing the same.

None of these companies wanted anyone but their service technicians messing around inside them. Speaking of saturn, I wonder how much longer until that homebrew that allows ISOs off a hard drive to run is going to take. I've got two saturns & They're basically just sitting in storage.

That's why I set my desk/workbench up next to my window. Big ol' box fan to haul air out of my room. I just wish i could find specimens. I suppose I'll have to buy those cables, as much as it pains me. I could gut a PSOne LCD for that connector, but… that is sacrilege. At least I can have fun assembling the Genesis and Saturn connectors, as well as a SCART to BNC breakout cable.

I hope we have Lagless TVs again one day. I feel like it's the 1930s for the new technology, but even those TVs has no lag. How did we go so backwards?

The problem was moving away from analog drawing methods. Digital scaling and processing actually takes time. At least with audio, you're only converting it from digital to analog, which is pretty fast. Video displays have to apply scaling to fit it on screen, contrast manipulation to hide the panel's weak blacks, etc.

I'd say it's the fault of LCDs, except the first digital displays to have mass-market success were plasmas, a technology with response times on par to CRT. On the interface side, RAMDACs in even the cheapest GPUs and converters have nanoseconds of lag, even inside the display, many early CRTs actually offered digital RGBI interfaces without lagginess.

Even if the lag of OLEDs can be blamed on hand-me-down chipsets from LCD TVs, I honestly have no idea why nobody made driver chipsets for plasmas/front-projectors that weren't so laggy.

Bretty Interesting user.

Wish this asshat would get back to me. Claims to be original owner of the PVM, hoping for super low hours.

The fact he says that specific monitor is the 2nd best one ever produced is really comforting, considering what I paid for it. Wouldn't have room for the 32 inch model anywhere anyway, so even if I could find one, Which I can't, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. Interesting that he thinks they only made around 500 of them too. Production numbers are always nice.

Unfortunately, a lot of sellers can be real assholes.

Definitely seems like a cool guy. I'd love to buy a monitor from him if I could afford it.

Adding ferrite chokes might help

Also, makes me feel bad I didn't spring for some test/calibration equipment a guy was selling when I bought a crt. It was like this box with a light and a couple of removable color-bar plates, and some kind of spectrograph thing.

I love my LD players. I also have a VHD and Video Disc player. Those records that do video and audio. They work about as well as records but they are pretty interesting.

Sorry famalam, I just snagged it, haven't gotten around to calibrating it.

Faggot is trying to fucking bait and switch me.

Newer my fucking ass, you lying sack of shit. The 20L2 REPLACED the 1944Q in Sony's PVM line.

Laserdisc is great for anime, but from the Techmoan video & the cinnemassacre video, I'm convince most of them are dead by now going by how badly they skip.

Bit rot is a bitch. Honestly Blu-Ray over component to a CRT is quite wonderful for Anime. Hell, DVD looks pretty damn good in motion, since the gaussian blur does a wonderful job of masking compression artifacts.

What I mean is videodiscs are mostly dead. Laserdiscs are surprisingly good, but you need one of the insanely rare ones with red lasers that go for $1000 or more that read through the laser rot.

After calling him out on it in the nicest way I can
Yeah, and I bet they're all shitty 14L1s with only S-Video. What a fucking sack of crap.

Are you talking about CED, then? I've never used it, but from my experience with phono discs, they should last basically forever almost good as new if cleaned properly (in fact, even when brand new, they will often have mold release agents clogging the grooves from the manufacturing process, which should be cleaned off for optimal performance):
thevinylfactory.com/features/8-easy-and-affordable-ways-to-clean-your-vinyl-records-by-hand/

Regarding LD rot, I was under the impression only early discs (1970s) and certain pressings of later discs suffered rot?

(Checked)
Nah, it can happen as early as 15 years, depending on storage conditions. Sega CD games are starting to show it in discs stored in excessively hot or humid conditions. Thankfully the entire retail catalog has been dumped to ISO. Laserdisc isn't really all that special, being a composite analog signal it is extraordinarily soft.

Never again

Correct. certain factories were notorious for pressing bad laserdiscs. Oxygen would get between the layers, & then they would "rot". It affects certain companies, not certain discs. So for example, every release ADV did for anime on the 90s suffers rot, but their japanese counterparts do not do to being printed at a different factory in Japan instead. For the 70s discs it may just be their age, I'm not sure. I've heard the same thing though, the "discovision" laserdiscs that flat out do not exist anymore.

It's just a spider man. Your entire house is probably full of them & you don't even know it. Them & house centipedes kill all the bad bugs.

Depending on the spider, man. Brown recluses are strictly KOS

the blacks were so real they turned into a spider.

When the blacks are so real they start a movement against their oppression.

Dude, you need to burn the place down.
You can't kill those fuckers.

The trick with CED and VHD is to watch it a few times or let it run a few times. Once they get a few uses they are usually ok. This is in the manual for most CED players. VHD load up webm for fun.

I wouldn't worry about it user. Laser rot seems a lot more widespread on forums than on actual discs.

What's the purpose of CRT threads? Bragging rights?

I have a large Sony Trinitron CRT. I hook up my softmodded wii to it and play n64 games. I've been trying to get GC isos to run in the damn thing, but some tutorials can get really outdated. We had a spot for this bad boy in the upper living room, but its down here while we move a couple things around. Its conveniently next to my laptop now, so ive been unloading and loading the sd card files all day.
I have another, much smaller crt as well, but i cant seem to find it.

They released anime on VCD? I though that entire format was dead by the time laserdisc came around?

Typo, meant CED. I don't even KNOW what a VHD player is. Are they basically CEDs, but on floppy disks encased on a package? Someone needs to do a proper video on what those things are. That's an entire format I didn't know existed.

It is a Victor HD 815. It is the jap version of CED. I have not tried playing usa on jap or jap on usa but it is my understanding they are not compatible.

I watched a bunch of retarded video tutorials then did it myself in 5 minutes with the official instructions;

Get the loader.dol, rename it to boot.dol and put it in /apps/Nintendont/ along with the files meta.xml and icon.png.
Copy your GameCube games to the /games/ directory. Subdirectories are optional for 1-disc games in ISO/GCM and CISO format.

github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
For 2-disc games, you should create a subdirectory /games/MYGAME/ (where MYGAME can be anything), then name disc 1 as "game.iso" and disc 2 as "disc2.iso".
For extracted FST, the FST must be located in a subdirectory, e.g. /games/FSTgame/sys/boot.bin .
Connect your storage device to your Wii or Wii U and start The Homebrew Channel.
Select Nintendont.

Shopping Advice is a big one.
It isn't hard, and instructions are on the github. has you covered.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
PAWG

Phat Ass White Gundam

I recently got an Ikegami-TM14-17R-14 from an online auction and there seems to be a problem with the screen. The colors seem to bleed don't know the right term to use to the right whenever anything remotely bright is shown. This really shows with white text.
The only way I found to reduce this to reduce the brightness and some other values really low but at that point, the screen is so dark and dull, that there is no point for me to play on a professional monitor.
What could be the cause for this?

Should I try messing with the holes in the last pic?

What about the nukes you dumb fuck.

It looks like bloom. You just need to turn your brightness setting down. If that does not help some times there is a color setting that can be turned down. If you have a red filter you can pull up a color bar and adjust the color settings. You can use any color filter on the color bar to make the adjustments until the bar next to the color on the color chart have a clean straight line on the color chart. There are probably some color charts with instructions on youtube. Some Games DVD and LD also have color charts on them. I can not recall any at the moment but i want to say horror games or games with darker environments some times have a menu option in game where they show a symbol or something and ask you to adjust the color or brightness until you can barely see it. If you can find one of those on your wii and adjust the settings it might help with whatever else you are inputting.

Lost my picture

Too much contrast maybe? I had a similar problem when using component cables on my PS2 & I fixed it by turning one of the knobs on my PVM way down.

Yeah the brightness might be a problem. Do you know what kind of screwdrive would fit into these kinds of holes?

I assume I should try to mess with the gain a bit.

I've never seen something like that before. You don't have contrast knobs? I don't know what Ikegami use to control chroma, phase, contrast, etc, so that picture makes no sense to me. Shame you don't have a remote, or a control panel or something. Have you tried seeing if there's a secret service menu you can use to mess with things manually? PVMs & BVMs have that.

1.- Animal Crossing NL
2.- TLoZ LBW
3.- Pokemon Moon
4.- Yo-Kai Watch
5.- Monster Hunter 4U

Usually these adjustments are small flat tips. If you have a 2mm wide flat tip that would be ideal. Be gengle heat and age can make the plastic knobs break easily.

There is no reason to mess with Gain. Gain is an adjustment for your RF signal. I do not know what background is. There is a R G and B but i would not count on that being the same R G B mentioned when speaking of component connections.

If you are going to make adjustments i suggest you get a color chart on screen instead of trying to adjust it with video playing.

It is also recomended that you leave the tv on for an hour before making any adjustments.

specs weedle

well it should be pretty obvious that someone that's been doing drugs for decades would be "better at it" than someone who's still in high school

what was it

Where can I cop one of those? Also is it composite only or S-Video available for it?

Here's a question for PC CRTs. I've been messing about with settings, but I'm still getting some difficulty in finding a good set of settings.
Things are a bit too dark with standard settings, but when I up brightness or contrast, I can see better but things appear a bit grey/washed out instead of black.
Any idea what setting controls that the most?

Most OSs offer a simple color profile generation wizard. The typical procedure is to set the monitor's internal contrast all the way up, adjust its brightness as dark as possible while still being able to view the 2nd darkest shade on a strip like pic related, and then use software controls like in your screenshot to fine tune colors.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks user.

Composite, Ant in and RF out. I purchased mine from ebay. I have not seen another one listed since tehn. There is a 3d vision model as well. The 3d movies are pretty expensive. I have no idea how much the 3D player would sell for.

www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
Use this.

Shit luck then, at least half the Goodwills near me have CRTs. I just wish I had the space for one.

10/10

prove it

I'll probably get it but it looks pretty stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=7cSeW2MO-OY

its pretty clear that your just a lying faggot pretending that you played a game you have never played before. kill yourself.

k

Wasn't that game unplayable because of DRM related bullshit?
Anyways, Molyneux used to be famous for games like that so maybe his fall from grace and the over saturation of the market made people lose interest in the genre.

Alright cool. I adjusted the monitor with the 240p testing suite for the wii and it seem to solve the issue, though I'm surprised how the dark the end results were.
Wonder if the monitor I got is just old and suffer through heavy usage as someone with the same monitor said they don't have these problems with their TM14-17R.

Anyway any audiophiles here? Is it a bad idea to have my speakers from my stereo on their sides? Is it a bad idea to have my speaks on the floor?

As long as you're not obstructing the air holes, you're fine
That's between you and anybody living beneath you.

Do I have the biggest CRT here?

32"

anyone here?

You are a fucking retarded newfag please do not post again faggot

30" widescreen, 160 lbs

Would you pay $1,8000 to play your marios on the sharpest CRT possible?

www.ebay.com/itm/192045800313?_trksid=p2060353

That is that expensive not only because it's rare as hell, but because it's been recapped, tuned and professionally calibrated.

It's literally a good goy post.

Gas yourself anytime kike.

I'm honestly going to start buying old government equipment and selling it to you fags. I see Ikegami TMs and HTMs listed all the time (pvm and bvm are essentially their equivalent.) No, not to rip you niggers off but because I don't like this shit. I play on all kinds of pro CRTs and would obviously test them, would just want you to pay for shipping + a bit to help replenish stock.

Again, you're not just paying for a literal one of five hundred made monitor (Yes, seriously, only about 500 of those exist), but the time spent by a professional technicican who replaces all the capacitors, fixes any issues, and then perfectly calibrates the screen to a degree impossible for the end user.

Though, nigga, I think I have a plan to make this legit-ish. Here:

This user has the right idea.

I don't think that would work. There's buying an RGB monitor, & then there's buying an RGB monitor that was only produced in the 100s. There's a reason some of those BVMs go for so much.

yea I love playing with input lag that literally makes certain older fighting games unplayable.
THANKS LCDs

& platformers, & arcade spaceship shooters, & rhythm & music games, &…

fucking disgusting

Anyways is there any downsides to flat tube CRTs, curvature triggers my autism hard.

Only way is through POPStarter or some other even shittier emulator, you cannot get hardware backcompatibility for PS1 games on PS2 via HDD unless something major happened in the last two years which I doubt.

I think he's referring to the user talking about buying up surplus monitors to sell to fellow anons.

There's no downside to flatface CRTs specifically, but WEGA Trinitrons are converting from analog input to digital for processing back to analog for the gun. Granted they do it blazing fast, faster than most LCDs, and it usually looks pretty decent for PS2/Gamecube and newer. 240p games kinda look a bit too emulator.

yeah a lot of larger flat screen-widescreen ones with HDMI, and in some cases component rca have processing, defeating one of the main benefits of the display. Widescreen/HDMI are major tells.

Still better than any LCD, though.

I'm only looking to hook 6th gen consolesto it (maybe a PS1 if I can be arsed) so that no issue, finding a decent CRT where I live is fucking hell though even with a friend working at some garbage disposal facility.

Sorta. The baggage to 240p, even 480i content is an issue - and having had a 40" Wega from back then 720p/1080i/p content. Fixed pixel displays like LCDs deal with 1080p content, and their 720p content upscaling works pretty well.

If you are targeting professional, and not consumer tech, you get better results from 720p/1080i on pro sets than on pretty much any LCD.

Why does this exist!?

because the PS1 hardware could not be accessed by software creators, it's pretty well locked down.

I was under the general impression the PSX hardware was used for coprocessing even in native PS2 games?

it's not quite like that, but the problem is when you can't tell that hardware "hey read the disc data from this source instead of this one" you can't do much with that. Some of the PS2's hardware is essentially super buffed up PS1 hardware, it's not that it had a PS1 on its motherboard, it's that the hardware could do the same exact things PS1 hardware could do, but the registers and everything had extensions do accommodate PS2 games.

Sort of like how the PSP "emulates" PS1. It's really an identical cpu is incredibly fast in comparison.

I'm not 100% but I think the PS1 CPU was used at a different multiplier for I/O, then once the system entered in backcompatibility mode it switched that multiplier to something much closer to the original (not the exact same clockspeed though), the GPU I have no idea but
I don't recall the PS2 having a physical copy of the PS1 GPU inside so I'd say it's just emulated by the GS.

yes, graphics were emulated. PS1 cpu functionality was integrated into the EE.

The R5900 could theoretically do that but the PS2 used the actual R3000 for PS1 BC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications#I.2FO_processor

Yeah, that sounds about right. Looking it up, the PS2 definitely used a full PSX CPU as its I/O controller, complete with GTE and MDEC, but which operated overclocked when in PS2 mode.

This was, however, apparently replaced with a PPC-based (probably 440) controller in later Slim models that emulates the original MIPS R3000A compatible core:
assemblergames.com/l/threads/playstation-2-are-there-any-hardware-mysteries-left.62325/

It does indeed appear that there was no PSX GPU in the PS2, though I can't find any positive description of what combination of HLE from the GS GPU or LLE from the EE's MIPS R5900 CPU is used to substitute for it.

We should formulate an OP for these threads, with useful info for anons interested in such things.

A blogpost in broken english and a forum post on PSX scene says it was just fully emulated in software on the EE, which is pretty damn impressive if true.

Either way, the PS2 is arguably the best way to play most PS1 games due to superior error compensation.

the one they use on 4/vr/ is adequate but I don't care to much for making these threads one after the other.

pls explain

Someone is selling a Proview RF777NS for real cheap. Is this thing good?

Basically that the laser in the PS2 is better at reading PS1 discs than a PS1 is.

It's a bottom-of-the-barrel CRT, good for $15 USD equivalent at most mailorder, but any aperture grille tube would be better if you find one. I don't know how things are where you live (HUEland judging from search results on that monitor), but here in the USA, any charitable thrift shop like Salvation Army or Goodwill has mountains of CRTs for under $10.

say it to my face not online see what happens

They stopped accepting CRTs like a decade ago. IIRC they yell at you if you bring them to donate now.

We're talking PC monitors, for which nobody made even vaguely competitive shadow mask tubes beyond the '80s.

So I've heard, but I still see them pretty regularly. Likewise in the "last chance" stores at landfills and electronics junkyards.

damn right you are

Found my NES, Battery check.

Excellent taste, user. Planning to RGB mod it?

I might make a cable for my Super grafx but no plans to do anything unholy to the suitcase.

One of these days i'll get a Turboeverdrive AND a CD player that's not sold with another Turbo grafx, you'll see!

i know right, i'd buy one of those composite plugs that go in the back of the console if i was sure that doing so wouldn't fry my delicate yet expensiveconsole

Here's my LXI from when I was a bab. Still works, but I'm not sure of the quality you dudes seem to cream yourselves over. Anyone give me any insight?

What sort of insigt are you looking for?
What inputs does it sport?

Unfortunately only coax.

Also I dunno, maybe someone else here can attest to whatever beauty it may have.

Well, hook up anything but a Sega console and take a pic, let's see.

Can't bruh, don't have a switch.

So I'm finally going to invested RGB cables for my systems. What place would you guys recommend to buy them? I'm getting them for NTSC-U consoles.

Though I'm probably just going to S-Video cables for my Gamecube/N64.

LXI guy here, I bought a converter and it looks alright. Changed the contrast and the brightness. There's this color bleed (?) on the left edge, though, so I dunno what to do about that. Is it dangerous to crack this thing open to clean it out?

Junk for anything bus Atari & NES. The size is nice though. Worth keeping I'd say.

Yes, these keep a highvoltage charge even while off and unplugged. If you do not know what not to touch you should not open it.

are you getting console to BNC or scart?
for scart:
retrogamingcables.co.uk/
for scart to BNC:
ebay.com/sch/wookieewin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
for console to BNC:
ebay.com/sch/retro_console_accessories/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Check retrorgb for information on what console model you have and what the best RGB cables are.

Okay thanks. I can't really show you how good it looks due to my phone camera, but I assume you think it looks alright?

Looks ok it is hard to tell because of the picture and glare. maybe some kind user can help the CRT thread with lighting and taking proper photos so we can avoid glare reflection and motion or light blur.

I think I'm just going to buy from the same place.
I'm buying Scart cables with CSync. Should I get this one
retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc
or this one
retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/female-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-for-sony-pvm-monitors

My Monitor has BNC ports. But it's not a sony one.

I❤️CRT

Low lighting. Make the camera focus on the screen so the light balance adjusts to it.

Color bloom is due to crap camera, not present on screen.

Looks a bit soft/fuzzy. Not necessarily a bad thing, as it acts as a bit of ghetto anti-aliasing, but that's all down to personal preference.

Happiness isn't about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have, and if that CRT works for you, enjoy. If you're looking to get something better, on the cheap, most TVs you can scoop for free off Craigslist are at least Composite or S-Video capable. Go for S-Video if you can get it. It's a considerable step up, especially for Sega and Sony machines. Nintendo machiens generally have really good Composite video, so the S-Video jump isn't as pronounced.