Sonic

I just started playing pic related, and I noticed something that's never happened to me before in a Sonic game. I'm too slow. I can't see what's going on on the screen or move fast enough to react. I get decent scores, but I'm pretty sure those are balanced for children. I blame the 2.5D, but maybe I'm just bad. Anyone else experience this?

Can be Sonic general if you want.

I couldn't make myself finish it because of it all coming off as really average while trying to pang nostalgia and failing to do so really spectacularly. How do you fuck up City Escape's theme so bad?

SONIC ADVENTURE 2

sonic games always felt too cramped to go fast, there's no rhythm in the levels and the screen doesn't show enough.

speaking of sonic, make sure you try out these two fangames, they're pretty good.

Sonic Rush has good music too, made by the same Hideki Naganuma, worked on some games' music like Sega Rally 2, Yakuza and Ollie King Also Jet Set Radio

This is pretty much the only Sonic game I've properly played and I loved it.

God, I love Mania's soundtrack so far.

chao world is pretty gay and if accidently pick up the key you lose time
its still gay

Sonic 3 & Knuckles the best Sonic & Knuckles game.

I love how there are loads of Sonic games where aren't as well known, because they don't count as 'main' games. Most of the handheld/Master System games are worth playing. The handheld counterparts to the main games even have their own level designs, and Generations 3DS is completely different after Green Hill Zone. Just avoid Lost World 3DS and Sonic Chronicles.

If you want a list:

I really do wish that got a sequel. And that we got to hear the original soundtrack that apparently was lost.

Maybe once they actually make the physics good instead of adding a thousand extraneous characters that don't do anything aside from make every level slightly harder due to not being designed for them.

If we're talking about fangames, though, Emerald Ties all the way. Can't wait for it to drop.

Other than Sonic Mania have they announced any other games? Is the guy they have in charge of twitter still shitposting hard?

This and yes.

Played Sonic CD for the first time a while ago.
Still can't get over how perfectly they nailed the wild mood swings from the playful and carefree themes of Present stages to the erratic and downright hopeless themes of Bad Future.

There are so many layers to Palmtree Panic's themes that I feel it's almost a musical masterwork.

The Present stage starts off with a playful "Woo!", which immediately sets the tone for the stage. It's fun, cheerful, and it's still the beginning so you shouldn't have too much trouble at all.
Then you hit a Future signpost without thinking about it too much and get taken to the Bad Future. Palmtrees are replaced with unusual looking machines. The glistening water is a dark shade of putrid green. The beaches and grassy hills are just tangles of wires and rusted metal, and there are more enemies and obstacles than you've seen before.
The song even greets you with a distorted groan, a corrupted version of the 'Woo!' that set the mood earlier, letting you know everything has gone to shit and now you have to fight your way out.
The kids cheering in the present theme now loop back onto eachother. The saxophone that was the main melody to the Present theme tries to play at an uncomfortable pace, but keeps getting overpowered by the techno. Eventually the techno just takes over completely and goes hard like they put Pendulum on the mic.

It's easy to get to the future, but getting back to the Present stage is exponentially more difficult with the sudden change in difficulty and area design. It really does feel hopeless trying to fix things once you've made your mistake.

Looks like it'll be something like a Generations 2 then

I want a Chaos Chao

Plus this fangame came out and generated a lot of buzz.

I'm playing the first sonic right now with savestates because I don't give a shit, tired of video games in general so I'm going to make it easy for myself and it's fucking boring

Try getting the chaos emeralds, makes the game a lot more interesting having to figure out the best path to get rings and making it to the end without getting hit.

you

Yeah, I have Generations which I really enjoyed, and in it you can play Sonic 1, and it sucked. I can't believe it was touted as a Super Mario World rival.

Perhaps it's because you're using savestates. I used to do that and games became more fun when I stopped. It's not like the original Sonic has bullshit deaths until you get to Labyrinth zone anyway
Sonic 1's difficulty is all over the place. it starts easy, gets a difficulty spike with Marble Zone, gets really easy with Star Light zone then goes back up for the end.
The later levels get pretty fun, Green Hill is just a warmup.
If you're finding jumping hard overshoot your jumps and hold back. The momentum is weird in the old games.

It IS Generations 2. Hopefully with some better level choices.

FTFY

sonic always had an issue with how far ahead you can see things and how much time you have to react

generations is the best game because it at least tries to fix this issue

Sonic 2 and 3 are a lot better yes. Those have a lot more balance too.

Also Sonic 3 + Knuckles was the best Sonic because it had integrated stage select once you beat the game, and you could still go hyper mode and do anything you wanted

220+ rings in Mushroom Hill Zone while moving at ridiculous speed, those were the days

You aren't supposed to press right and never let go on your first go.
Sonic being fast is largely a meme that isn't reflected in the gameplay apart from set up boosters with loop de loops followed by nothing.

Picture extremely related

Two of the men behind the memes did a stream of '06 on its ten-year anniversary, showcasing some of the game's best glitches and mentioning other famous ones they didn't have time to show.

Flame Core, showing Sonic's unfinished 'gem' upgrades and how to break the game by stacking them together
Using an out-of-bounds glitch to let Knuckles complete a level (when he never gets to beat any level normally)
Shadow the Edhehog suffers from Objective Completion Disorder in White Acropolis
How to trick the final boss of Sonic's story into killing itself
"Come back here so I can IT'S NO USE you!"
Sonic's gems make him the Oddjob of '06 multiplayer modes
They realise that friendship was the true power all along, and decide to break the game one last timeā€¦ together!

Fucking faggot linking his let's play of a sonic game.

Damn straight, S3&K was the best.

Outstanding unlockable content that makes you feel like a god for all your hard work blasting through stages as a Super Saiyan with stage select to go back and hunt for any Chaos or Super Emeralds you need or simply play stages you actually enjoyed enough to want to go back through with improved skill including the S&K stages you previously had to play up to with limited continues. One of the greatest games ever up there with Doom and Devil May Cry 3 jam packed with hours of enjoyment from the gameplay alone.

Nigger, going fast = getting good in Sonic.
The Genesis games were designed so that stages had several routes that encouraged more efficient gameplay - more difficult routes that require faster reactions + some foreknowledge but rewarded you with faster clear times or easier routes you default to if you fail on the faster routes that were slower but often had more powerups and such to give you an advantage when you get back on track and potentially stay on the faster routes.

So if you aren't going fast, you need to git gud.

Why did they fuck up so bad with speed in Sonic Advance 3? It's the worst thing about the entire game.

If its not Sonic Colors on PC, I dun wanna.

God Dammit.

There's also embed related, but it's notskylanders shit instead of a full game like lego lotr or marvel.
Sonic and all stars racing transformed 3, WHEN?

You're supposed to memorize the stages you dingus, if you could just go fast on your first try then what's the point?

Who owns Sonic Classic Collection for the DS?

Nigger, that's ripped from the official Sonic twitch stream they did for charity.

Honestly, I just want patches to fix the loading time and let you use the Rainbow Gem.

Apparently, Starlight Zone was supposed to be the 2nd level of the game, but it got changed at some point in development, hence the difficulty spike.

I honestly believe the gems, with their game breaking effects are in fact debuging tools of some kind that incompetent devs simply forgot to remove from the game.
There is no other way to describe them.
also replace the princess and uncanny valley humans with cartoon looking ones from SA games

I think it was supposed to be Labyrinth Zone, going by the level select screen

Get good. There is certainly rhythm in the levels, as long as you're good enough to go fast. If you're going slow you don't get to enjoy that. Speed and rhythm are your reward for getting good.

All the Game Gear games are good except Sonic Blast. Tails Skypatrol is great, too, though very different from most "Sonic" games.

huh?

Sonic 1 is much weaker than the sequels. Sonic 2 is immediately a lot better, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles goes far beyond that. Some argue it doesn't have level design as good as 2, but is is a much bigger game, with more levels (since it's actually two games combined), more characters, more story (but still subtle and not annoying). Overall a bigger presentation. Sonic CD is also very interesting if you care to go for 100%, as that game has a lot more secrets and unlockables than the others. It's a much more exploration focused game that really makes you learn the levels and mechanics. If you don't care about that, I'd not put it above Sonic 2.

Or just get better reaction times. After that, the levels are made in a way so that you bounce around without needing to aim as much, so long as you can react quickly.

My bad, I meant Sonic Advance 1/2/3

Impossible. You can access them ingame by simply buying them and they even have their own dedicated icons.

I really need to get back to my first playthrough of the entire series, it was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Took a break right before the storybook games.

No it didn't, the faggot that created it was paying people to talk about it.
And as far as sanic fangames it's fucking mediocre.

PLAY MORE SRB2 NETGAMES.

I couldn't finish it as the quality of the levels felt like they took a complete nosedive once it got to the sonic 06 levels
NICE TOUCH SEGA

Except basically all the 3d sonic games solved the issue just due to the camera facing in front of you.

Generations and other modern sonic games brought it back by shoving in mandatory 2d sections.

Which is good, and what it should be, but the issue is that you actually go SLOW if you don't use those things/haven't played the level before to react to stuff before it's actually on screen

The adventure games on the other hand have the same idea, but the "default" path or the path if you fuck up is still fast, it's just the better ones make you go even faster.

To the anons complaining about going slow if you're not experienced enough. Let me tell you another gameplay mechanic that made Sonic popular: Whatever action besides running turns you into a weapon. You have no idea how awestruck I was when I realized that I can jump under and over and roll forward and I can kill the enemies just like that. To be fair, the only games I played before Sonic had me using an extra button to attack so this was interesting and gives off the feeling of being limitless which I like in video games. People focus on the "Sonic" part of the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" but they sometimes forget about "the Hedgehog" bit as well, which still makes Sonic stand out compared to other platformers even if you're not speeding.

Hedgehogs are too fucking cute.

I've seen this statement several times and while I agree with it, I think that it does not apply solely to the Genesis games. There is technical knowledge to modern Sonic games as well.

They literally shit where they eat though
t. guy who raised several through the winter already

I can't have pets because I'll be too emotionally devastated when they die.

Devour their dying flesh then so they will always remain a part of you.

Yeah, but some enemies simply don't have weak spots in Sonic 1/2, which is why S3&K is the best, because of instashield/elemental attacks mechanic.

Momentum is more important to Sonic than field of view. Genesis games superior to rest of the series.

I'm disturbingly thinking about it now.

Get Classic Collection and thank me later for S3&K.

Make sure you pick a tasty animal then. Name it appropriately.

Sonic CD JP music is perfection.

They distinctly said it WASN'T going to be Generations 2.

That's not a douchebag nobody, that's the old media's attempt at shitting up the new media.

Yet many other games are more fun and more rewarding to speedrun, Sega tried but they failed fucking hard.

Is it possible to hone reaction time and muscle memory to try and emulate a Sonic TAS?

Same, both to the momentum and the insta shield. I hope they bring it back. The Generations version is pretty subpar.

TIME FOR A CHANGE OF PACE!

People have come pretty close to TAS time in the original Super Mario bros, and that game requires frame perfect jumps to speedrun. With enough practise it should be possible.
Also you could do the PAL version of the first Sonic game. Due to an oversight it runs slower than the NTSC version.

What about Sonic Advance 2? I've seen some ridiculous shit like spamming air dash seemingly still on the ground perfectly in succession and clipping through bosses to take them out in a matter of seconds without any damage.

TIME FOR A CHANGE OF PACE

Holy shit, just replayed Sonic Advance 2 start to finish and I forgot how hard later levels and bosses can be.

Hold right to win, my ass.