Satellite Reign thread

Is this game good? It looks cool. what do other peeps think?

off yourself

Regardless, yes it's good. They actually use "open-world" for it's intended purpose: having several diferent ways to approach an objective.
Takes a while to get used to the controls and actually be effective (tip: learn your keyboard shortcuts).
Very satisfying to sneakybreaky your way in and out, equally satisfying to go in loud and blow shit up.

It shows you that im not interested in your thread and i dont want it to succeed

You're fucking hilarious mate.

I prepurchased the alpha only because I trusted the Devs. It ran like absolute dogshit when it first came out, but when they finally released the full game, I went back and it was amazing. Really feels fun to play, lots of stuff to do, and as the other user said, it's often good to go back and retry a section differently.

One of the few games this decade I'd recommend people to buy.

I consider a thread successful when it gets more than 100 replies

how is this compared to the new shadowrun games?

They are in completely different genres and settings, mate.
I mean one of them has magic and elves, so yeah.

Badly if you're looking for a proper crpg

It's fun.

One of the best parts of the game is watching the traffic obey glorious Australian road laws.

oh, this is realtime combat
both are cyberpunk tho, rite?

Well cyberpunk is sure broad term, SR doesn't have magic, elves, dragons and other fantasy garbage, it's pure sci-fi.

Think syndicate and you won't be far off, and yes they're both cp but shadowrun is cp+

Shadow run is more of a cRPG turnbased stuff.
This one is real-time for a start.
It's also entirely open world.
I think the city is divided in sectors and there's loading screens between each though.

The thing of note is the secondary objectives. They're not like Skyrim where it's a bunch of menial tasks that don't even reward you with anything usefull. They actually have a lot of good rewards and you can even argue that some of those become mandatory simply because the game does get hard later on.

One point that stands out early on for instance is when you're told to go into a military base nearby. You actually have 3 or 4 diferent objecives in there. One is mandatory, the other are optional. When you get there you find out 3 diferent entrances, each one with a diferent side quest to get acess into. I ended up raiding it 5 times to finish every quest, had to retreat under enemy fire a lot of them. The diferent entries helped to place me near the next objective when I needed, and the upgrades you get help on further attempts.
After that point, you'll get a fair share of tools and abilities to really start playing around with the world and the possibilities open to you remind me a lot of Deus Ex.

It's a great game, with good aesthetics, passable music score and great gameplay. Heavily recomended.
Tip: don't start researching shit right off the bat. Your income is dogshit even after hacking a few ATM's and it's not only gonna crawl to a near-stop, it will also cut money you'd need to get weapons and other goodies (that are much cheaper).

You're so disinterested in the thread that you're posting in it.

I'm sold, lads.

Always nice to see more people playing it. Still have yet to convince any of my friends to get it. I really want to try out the coop.

THERE'S COOP?
I think I missed that somewhere, holy crap.
Operating with other people would be RAD.

Yes, everybody must know about my opinion because im very important

When I played it it was slow, boring and unimaginative, cybernetics were simple + stat and the game had zero value save for gorgeous visuals. Ending was meh too, and it completely lacked the syndicate feeling.
I heard they fixed some shit so it became faster and added co-op but I never bothered looking into it.

low quality newfags

Satellite Reign is much closer to actual cyberpunk, which at least pretends to stay grounded in speculative fiction. Shadowrun is science fantasy.

My issue with SatReign was that everything was a ridiculous bullet sponge, and there wasn't enough depth to anything. Maybe that's changed, I might re-torrent it at some point.

That was definetely changed.
For health, you have HP, Armor and Shields with Plasma being best against Armor and Lasers best against Shields but conventional bullets have the best damage, usually.

Provided you made a balanced powerfull team and upgraded them, you could melt people in front of you very easily.
The first few missions, you're better off with stealth since everyone has incredibe gear and you'll take ages to kill them but later on you can bomb your way around easily.

So how does it stack up compared to Syndicate and Syndicate Wars?

Better than Syndicate Wars, worse than Syndicate. Right in the middle.

Except next to nothing is permanent, no matter how hard you try the world is going to reset itself to initial state, even civilians are randomly spawned and de-spawned. Losing an agent means you lose very small bonuses and can easily get a perfectly viable replacement by grabbing a random civilian off the street. No real stakes, no ways to actually influence the world, no reason to play.

How? The visuals? Okay, I'll give it that.

AI blows?

More complexity? More interesting combat and overall gameplay?
Syndicate wars was dumbed down piece of shit compared to the original. Satellite Reign have different aspects and mechanic than Syndicate 1, but overall it's on the same level.

I don't think that was the point of the game.

That's only in the first stages. Once you up the hijack skill, you can fetch people (especially guards) that have very good stats and make a very big difference.
And don't forget that, as you equip your squad, respawning them becomes more and more expensive.

Just play Syndicate or Syndicate Wars instead.

Syndicate Wars on PS1 was great to play couch co-op with a buddy.

a little art

Played only a little of this and so far the open structure really makes this game.

Being able to send your agents around to scout the target, to sneak part way in to scout and not having to commit a soon as you walk past some random line.

Although you can set off alarms in the area next to you for some reason.

However I don't feel like I'm part of a rival corporation so much, just a group of mercs or w/e.

But everything you do except hacking ATMs is being reset after a timer runs out. It's a sandbox instead of a series of missions with some non-linearity allowed.

Blowing up a massive gate or a huge power generator only initiates a timer until it magically respawns. I get it, it's in the future where exist a limitless municipal maintenance drone supply and they can fix everything, no matter how complex or how much damage was done. That would be fine if they weren't incorporeal and invisible as well. And that's just one example. And no, I don't want it to be easier than it already is, I want the world to be truly interactive, not just a backdrop for me trying to entertain myself.

You get told that there's the FRED system, responsible for repairs around the city, the system you hijack to use the spawn pods later on.
That's hardly magical unless drop pods with repair drones are too advanced for you, and even then there's no timer. They stay blown up as long as you're in the area and respawn later.

The point is that you can re-run places for more cash\loot but if everything stayed as you left it, blowing things up would trump hacking\sneak. Just make a large open corridor to the target and come back whenever you want.
By having those things respawning, you still have chalenge for re-runs.

I mean, what did you seriously expect? That the municipal maintenance crew had a budget they had to maintain and you could exhaust, buying actions from them or taking out the facilities they use to produce spare parts?
Why not each company also having a budget for equipment, a pool of guards and all other kinds of limiting factors that make it so you can murder guards until there's none left to come out of the reinforcement gates?