True First Person in games

Post games that have it, done it well, and then post what could be done with it (I'm kinda working on a game but don't even ask I'm just putting together a design doc)

butcher's bay did, but for some reason they go to 3rd person whenever you have to climb an obstacle or use a ladder

Dying Light does it too. As a nice touch, when you change outfits it actually reflects it too.

why can't you see your nose in first person view?

What's the game in 3rd pic OP? It looks cool. To contribute to the thread there is a view setting in TF2 you can set with console commands that give you true first person, you can even see the emotes your character does when you use the "thanks" and other voice commands.

Your brain blocks out your nose unless you deliberately stare at it.

You will in VR games, hopefully. Doing it on the monitor would just require a big blur in the middle of the screen that could easily be compensated by your real nose.

Just the same as it blocks out smudges on your glasses

Arx Fatalis did it too and it looked awesome.
You could see your arm and hand actually drawing the runes or your stance when you crouched down. Armor you wore changed your model as well.
Get Arx Libertatis instead

Have the ability to sit or lay down, which moves your camera slightly forward, maybe animating the head too. This way you have full view of your entire body, ready for the aplication of bandages or syringes.
Yes, first person first aid. Implement it now cause I'm gonna register a patent soon.

Is the jumping supposed to be awkward as hell in Arx Libertatis? It's like you jump and you warp at a massive speed forward.

Game with the comfiest cooking mechanics ever.

I remember reading something about this game originally being third person before they decided to stick the camera in Jackie's head, but I don't know how true that is.

Yep. You get some speed boost forward and then kinda flop when you land. I guess that's how jumping actually works IRL, you don't just keep a constant speed forward.

I found out much later that the game actually has a hidden need for food that slowly regenerates your food when it's met and drains it when you're starving along with some sound effects. I never heard them since I used pies as cheap health potions (and cluttered my inventory with actual health potions) but I only discovered this was a thing because there's even a spell to keep you fed by pure magic.

The alchemy there with grinding herbs, stuffing them in bottles and heating them was pretty great too, especially since you kept the bottles after you drank whatever was in them. Wish more games did this too. First person crafting really well done, Arx Libertatis even adds more things to do like armor\weapon crafting.
The only thing remotely similar to this was CraftyBits for Oblivion.

Obligatory FEAR mention. Shame the sequels suck dick.

why

Will Rock did it. Too bad nobody played it.

You can mod it into a lot of games like STALKER, Fallout 3,NV and 4, Skyrim. Simulators like ARMA and DCS have it.

bending at the hip instead of neck and limited vertical FOV. if you think about how a first person shooter works almost none of them have you actually turning the head considering your gun and hands move with your view. ARMA is the only exception because it has a button for individual head movement.

unless you got a lot of bad smuges.

There is no excuse.

I want this in a game with a Jewish protagonist

GTA V does that really well.

Arx is in general way ahead of its time, and has the best dungeon atmosphere of just about any game I've played.

Probably only game I'd consider something of a worthy successor to Ultima Underworld, even if it was quite different all in all.

Does his dick float?

Has any game done this?

Trespasser.

no, only the head

I'm having conflicted feelings about this mental image in my head.

I remember Dark messiah doing it too, i was so impressed that i could see my legs when i first played it.

The original Left 4 Dead had first-person view where you could see your legs but in the sequel, L4D2, it was removed. The reason why it's not present, I don't know.

Infinite warfare does

Battlefield 1.

Except the arm is far too close to your vision. Unless the soldier is folding his arm but to get it at that angle is impossible.

That may be due to the placement of the camera. It was clipping in first person so rather than try and work around that they moved the camera outside for a quick moment then back it.

It could be a narrow FOV. Also nice trips.

nah, shadow shows that it's straight out.

I miss funny video game advertisements like this.

Remember, kids. Half-Life might have been the progenitor, but FEAR is the true master.

And then Fear 2 did the one thing right…

(checked)

This game is retarded and anything coming from it should not be taken seriously.

Here is my representation of how the solider holds his gun right in his face instead of far away like in the shadow. Notice how dumb it looks.

Breakdown for the original XBox was one of the first that did first-person melee combat.

Elder Scrolls Online has first-person camera that's okay. Fishing in first person is comfy though.

Far Cry first-person heal animations are very well done, but they tend to repeat sometimes.

Other than that, the more recent Battlefield games have okay first-person knife kill animations, but why use knives when you have guns?

Thanks for making that pic.

Did you try it IRL first like I did?

yes

Skyrim have if you install a mod(Immersive First Person or The Joy of Perspective), it's cool to look down and see boobs or your dong.

what did he mean by this?

rip arkane ;_;

Because you only have 1 window to the world.

Close your left eye, and then open it and close your right eye. Now answer me where the nose should be in the screen?

Just pick whichever eye is preferred when both are open.

Mount & Blade: Warband done it good

video games are serious business nowadays user

I'm yet to see a single game do it 100% accurately. There's always something off about it even in the games that do it 'well'.