Video Game Music Restoration Project

Remaster Thread:
hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=44210&showpage=7

Source Instrument thread:
hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=24937&showpage=0

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
clyp.it/lqsiybmz

You pretty much know what this is if you listen to a lot of old/retro vidya music. You basically get a sequenced song and remaster it with higher quality instruments due to compression on a console and such. Feel free to post Remixes that are faithful to the original song, but I'd prefer this thread to focus on near 1:1 remasters. It's fine though, really.

Other urls found in this thread:

hcs64.com/mboard/forumlong.php?showthread=39182
hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?searchmode
gcn.joshw.info/
foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_vgmstream
puu.sh/qb9AV/63d240460c.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=fr0T82eIR5c
youtube.com/watch?v=ox_UrxlcY6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=LtCG6YtM5JU
accursedfarms.com/downloads/other/RAMA_Soundtrack_MP3.zip
youtu.be/Jm932Sqwf5E?t=5m2s
youtu.be/tykAn_7aRP4?t=22s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Please, anons.

I've got nothing to offer but this sounds like a nice thread

(Checked)
Anyway, got nothing to offer as well.

Looks like a good thread even thought I don't trust your links.
I rather the originals to the remixes or restorations, sincemost of those I've heard are good, but the originals sound better even with the hardware limitation. I think it have to do with instruments. They usually add real instrument instead of synthesized stuff and most of the time it doesn't fit with it.

GBA games sound much better when they aren't held to GBA limitations.
There are a lot of old systems where the power supply interferes with the audio quality. The community mods the consoles to hook the output of the sound chip directly to an audio jack, so they can use their own amps. It's mostly done to the gameboy because there's a community around GB music.

As for remixes if you like Sonic games check out Generations 3DS. It has it's own set of levels with their own themes and remixes.

GBA games sound much better when they aren't held to GBA limitations.
There are a lot of old systems where the power supply interferes with the audio quality. The community mods the consoles to hook the output of the sound chip directly to an audio jack, so they can use their own amps. It's mostly done to the gameboy because there's a community around GB music.

As for remixes if you like Sonic games check out Generations 3DS. It has it's own set of levels with their own themes and remixes.

I'll check yours too user.

Here's a thread where they are working for sequenced files on the gamecube

What's the purpose of this thread? Do you just want to discuss it, or are you asking for people to make new ones?
Cool shit. I hope that gets larger.

I'll check yours too user.

Here's a thread where they are working for sequenced files on the gamecube

Heads up, !!!!! just released a new revision that sounds WAY closer to the original un-filtered gba version!
Check out ffshrine and give it a listen!

Both actually! If you want .midi's for a certain game, just let me know and I'll do a quick search on the site.
Look here if you want to try your luck.
hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?searchmode

If you want the original files from a games sound folder. then check gcn.joshw.info/
Make sure to install this plug-in in foobar.

foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_vgmstream

replace "gcn" with "psf" "2sf", "3sf", etc, if you want files from different platforms.

Good!!!

Hello, David Wise.

Holy fuck, you have no idea what you're doing to me guy. I fucking love this composer.

Unfortunately the only uploads of the remastered Turrican soundtracks have the game sound effects layered on top of them.

Full album release of the Battle Garegga Rev.2016 updated soundtrack somewhere in December, comrade.

Obligatory

Theres a couple of these on youtube.

This is a remix of embed related, but still worth it: puu.sh/qb9AV/63d240460c.mp3

Back when pokemon was at its tip fucking top without a doubt

There was a remastered release of the Rama soundtrack, it's pretty good but I couldn't find it on Joostube, although I have it on my PC, I don't remember if it was a remaster or the original composer released the original audio.

youtube.com/watch?v=fr0T82eIR5c

There was also going to be a full release of the Outcast soundtrack but the remake never made it past kickstarter.

And after hearing the original compisitions my desire for a proper remake has intensified.

youtube.com/watch?v=ox_UrxlcY6Y

No thanks DK Vine.
youtube.com/watch?v=LtCG6YtM5JU

user, the Rama OST is on the youtube, for download. You just didn't look right.
When Ross did the video from Rama,he managed to get in contact with the composer and got a download link for the whole thing in the video description.
He also add a link for the game.
accursedfarms.com/downloads/other/RAMA_Soundtrack_MP3.zip
Ross is a cool guy.

Can this be done for Donkey Kong Country 3 on GBA? Entire soundtrack was redone by the composer for Donkey Kong Country & Donkey Kong Country 2, but due to the GBA compression it sounds like shit.

& then this is what it COULD sound like

I know he linked it I just couldn't find the playlist on Youtube, I have the re-release Ross managed to get for all of us.

check out the soundtrack for Goldeneye Source if you liked Goldeneye's soundtrack, there's some genuinely good shit in there and some just plain old shit

Now compare this to this shit youtu.be/Jm932Sqwf5E?t=5m2s

Shit's depressing.

The original doesn't even need a remake. Just a decent synthesizer. youtu.be/tykAn_7aRP4?t=22s

It is a shame At Doom's Gate got the slow treatment for new Doom, especially when some of the other tracks are more up to tempo with the original Doom's more trash metal songs.

i'd say it's a bigger shame that they left the soundtrack to some trent reznor wannabe instead of just packing it full of good old DOOM-y thrash metal. honestly i try my absolute damnedest not to be a /mu/-tier faggot in my daily life but the soundtrack to the new Doom is fucking abominable. half the time it is literally just noise, and the other half it's like Daft Punk went to a Slayer concert and said "let's try to do that"

I won't disagree with you on Doom's soundtrack being noise half the time but
cmon son

the ambient stuff for just cruising around and exploring is actually pretty good, but it was the teeth-clenchingly-terrible battle music that just made me wish for death. that track you posted is pretty damn good though provided it was only used on the pirate stage/during a fight with the pirate guy, i won't argue that

Good theme, my favorite version is that rendered in ZX128 KR5 soundfont

So back when I was making my first attempts at making a game (and writing a whole game engine from scratch while I was at it), I made a sound engine that could take MIDI and SF2 data and playback music using it. Also had some 8-bit synths built in.

Using this engine, I was able to playback all sorts of video game music- N64, GBA, etc-in a way that sounded very similar to the original work by using SF2 and MIDI data based on the original works.

Here's an old test video of that sound engine playing back a bunch of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire music (I think there was a bit of bugginess in the 8-bit synths, forgive me…)

In the end the game and engine were shit so it was scrapped. I learned a lot from the process though.

whoops…

I guess it's an alright exercise in music programming. You could as well used an existing library like fluidsynth.
It reminds me few years ago I have implemented a sampler based on Akai cd formats, because I had a decent collection of these, though it's probably a lot of crap considering I was still a baby in audio programming back then.

Fluidsynth is incapable of doing proper looping of music, so that led me to write my own soundfont synth from scratch.

What do you use to schedule the MIDI events?
I have written a MIDI file reader and a sequencer that sort of "works".
I thought is was a good idea to use libevent timers and adjust the tick interval based on the track's tempo. Most files work but I have found when the tick interval is

SDL provides a callback for whenever the audio buffer needs to be filled. So every time that callback function is called, I look at the audio buffer size, determine how much of the song to 'render' into the audio buffer, fill it with however many samples it needs, keeping a count of how many samples have been rendered and determining how many ticks that sample count makes for.

Tick length varies per MIDI file, but can be determined based on data in the MIDI file and is given as samples per tick iirc.

So you can time MIDI events accurately to the sample if you just count how many samples you are into the playback of a MIDI file as you send those samples to the buffer.

No need to use any timing functions that way (which, if cross-platform, will only give you accuracy to the nearest ms, which is not high enough resolution for timing MIDI events).

Now, if you're trying to send MIDI events to somewhere other than the sound buffer (say, to an external MIDI device), then you would need to take a different approach than this, and would need a platform-specific timer that would give you higher accuracy than the nearest millisecond.

But if you're just looking to playing back/'render' MIDI in real time, this method works quite nicely.

Eh

I think the only time that's okay is if you're using midis extracted straight from the game. You can't get any closer than than the official thing, (Which is the point and the the place you want to be at before trying to "restore" it.) You can kind of get away with calling it a restoration as long as the goal is trying to faithfully update it with the proper instruments. Something that requires a bit more work/awareness than say… simply getting a midi off of VGmusic and slapping whatever soundfont you could find on it.

If you can't extract the official thing, then you have to play it by ear yourself. Vid related for example… The finished song itself is not really a 1:1 thing, but I had to recreate the the track and match it with the original before actually moving onto arranging it. If you're aiming that close, simply having the "official midi" would have saved some time.

Depends, if the .midi is directly from the game, then yes, it IS restoration.
Of course, it has to include the original instruments and everything.

Of course, you could also edit said .midi and give it your own twist, by adding real instruments as well.

Sweet master of quad dubs, let Kek bless thee as you produce a remastered version of the Warioland 4 music.
2016 just killed both my hamsters tonight fuck man i need this

Where do you think we are?

Can some lad restore this song in better quality?

That's cool and all but where are the lossless 44.1/48khz 24 bit downloads?