MGS1

Planescape Torment.

MGS1 had great gameplay though.

MGS3

Nah, it just has mediocre gameplay.

This bait is fresh

And shit game.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy

Not at all in my opinion. The sneaking is bland and basic, the shooting is utter fuck and most of the boss fights get ultra repetitive even if they don't actually last long.

The control scheme isn't good, but it's still fantastic game once you get used to it.

Morrowind is probably the biggest offender.

Fantastic soundscape, lore, creature and world design, but the gameplay is just terrible.

someone spoonfeed me the context on op's image, I don't care about the source game I just think that thing's backgroud might be interesting

You mean Deadly Premonition?

OP might as well have just said "ITT: Games like Deadly Premonition". Right, Zach?

That is post modernist talk.

No More Heroes 1

No.

How the fuck can a game be good with shit gameplay? A boring and/or tedious game can't be good.

nigga what the fuck in your opinion is shit in eye's gameplay? you got superpowers, cyberpowers and weapons that actually feel like weapons

>What are you hanging over?

The Kohr-Ah were edgelords before the term was invented. OP is a faggot, Star Control 2/Ur-Quan Masters plays fine.

Pick one.

You will hate me for saying this but most open world games and especially TES.
It is debatable if Oblivion and Skyrim are bad, or rather Oblivion is. Morrowind however is prime example of good game with shit gameplay.

What you describe is a rare occurrence, games should always be about gameplay first but there are definitely some exceptions.

I say Legacy of Kain. Anything that isn't the first Blood Omen has pretty mediocre gameplay, but damn if the world, story and characters don't make up for it.

But my character who is fatigued with no agility and no weapon skill should be able to hit enemies!

The music is great.

a lot of the powers and playstyles are unbalanced from a brouzouf/EXP perspective where only playing generic shooters earns you brouzouf whereas hacking is too long, PSI is energy inefficient (unless you like to squat all day), and melee will get you killed fast considering how much energy deflecting bullets soaks up and most enemies you face have guns
upgrading past a certain point becomes incredibly grindy, augmentation prices rise way above what you can earn in one level and researching takes way too bloody long, whereas the increasing your research speed has you pay five times the base price just to halve the research time
the way resurrectors work means co-op matches have to restart every now and then because of some moron constantly dying
higher difficulties just upgrade enemy damage and accuracy to such a crazy degree that the increased brouzouf you (I think) gain is not worth it
many levels with metastreumons only like Vindico and Forgotten Center give shit pay because of how little brouzouf lower-ranked streums are worth. that means you are either stuck farming cyberdemons on Mars or on the farming map if you want to get any stronger
madness and bleeding are just purely utilized considering you heal them with one press of a button and can unlock research to permanently prevent bleeding and going mad
breaking your legs doesn't even affect your speed that much, it's just a meme at this point
for some reason the medkit recharges only when you hold it in your hand, meaning it's rarely full when you need it
weaker weapons like the Betty Boom, Black Crow, and GCT are rarely utilized whereas there is rarely a reason to use the Caw Hammer or Rotten Mound other than for increased ammo drops
highest-rank enemies with those energy shields which soak up anything that isn't wall-piercing are sheer bullshit
the possess option for hacking controls terribly
for some reason there is a delay when you try to block with your sword if you are sprinting

don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it does a lot of things which could have been done better

deadly premonition

The combat is still shit and it's a big part of gameplay. Even when you have permanent stam regen to run around and fight without going below 99% stam, the combat is still shit. The reason for this is that combat is about clicking the attack button with no thought or skill involved. Magic combat is a bit more nuanced, but for the most part you'll be using the same spell throughout the entire game, only you'll be upgrading the damage as you get more stats and you'll have a backup spell or two for stuff that's immune or highly resistant to your spell of choice.

This is something that needs further specification. Gameplay is a term used to describe literally all aspects of the game that actually pertain to it being a game
A game that may be weak in some gameplay elements but good in others can still be considered good if they combine to form an overall good whole. However, if that combination of these aspects turns out bad, I don't see how a game can still be considered good, unless for some purely subjective enjoyment in something like the story, music, or characters.

To take an example often used in these kinds of threads: Morrowind is often brought up for having "poor gameplay" when people often are just referring to the combat interactions. Now it's true that Morrowind's mechanics are flawed in that they don't communicate well certain aspects of physical combat interactions - as whether a character misses in combat is based on either target's agility or character's accuracy, yet all Morrowind gives you is that same "woosh" sound. It could have been improved if they added a unique sound and/or animation for missing entirely or the enemy dodging. However, the game does impart the player with information about what factors affect attack success and failure with the character's menus, so players are able to mitigate that failure in their interactions by properly building their character. Ultimately this is a more important aspect in an RPG - the character building aspects - but the lack of the former feedback on some moment-to-moment interactions does still make the game somewhat poorer for it, especially with how prominent combat interactions are in the game and how its meant to test the character's building.

But going back to the initial point, while Morrowind combat's mechanics are flawed, many other factors of its gameplay - build variety, dungeon design, quest variety, faction & guild interactions, etc - still hold up enough that I'd still say its gameplay is overall quite good.

:^)

Master bait.

MANDATORY POST HAS BEEN MADE

when the rest of the game is so interesting that you can briefly overlook the core mechanics being weak. nier and drakengard are decent examples, the gameplay is nothing to write home about, drakengard 1 is genuinely awful to play, but these games end up being worth looking into because of how crazy yoko taros design is

one shouldn't forget that examples like these only work because the devs behind it are fucking insane, and the rest of the time devs should focus on actually making good games

Nothing masterful about it, if only you would be caught.

Mining is not fun and the combat isn't good either.
The fun comes from voice acting, design, dialog and music.

This is another great example. Most of the game is doing the same few trash minigames (and eventually the same one over and over once you realize which one makes the most money) in order to get to the combat.

Not sure what you don't like about the combat. Unique ships with multiple abilities, balanced by point value instead of trying to make them all the same, works out very well in supermelee. For story battles, the capital ship can be adjusted in many ways to match however you prefer fighting.

:/

Melee is the shit you mongrel

If you want balance in sp games then go play Obsidian's PoE and then kill yourself.

like I said, it's not a matter of 'if x does y then it should be z so it is not stronger in every way than a', but that when playing a pure hacker/PSI caster I just won't get the same amount of brouzouf and XP which is necessary for all characters to grow
many of EYE's options are used mainly for experimentation and 'something different for a change' rather than considering it as a viable option to deal with an obstacle

and on another note, if you saw the word 'unbalanced' in my post and immediately thought "LOL SAWYERIST" as you wrote your post, you should probably get some help. Associative thinking like that is prone to thought termination

user, the lack of a fucking ability to back up really gets on your nerves when you just want to stop at that one fucking planet that you keep looping around and missing. OP needs to git gud at combat though, and he needs to take notes to memorize where all the good shit is on some good old fashion paper.

Im only here because I got a short ban from 2+2chan, what on Earth is this? I havent seen a post that was actually thought out in months. Its just a barrage of "WE WUZ FOR YOU, What the fuck was his problem? Stupid little white boiz tbh fam. Cuck" back over there, day in and day out. Is this just the norm here? Why didnt I get here sooner?

Welcome home, user.

Manual driving is bad at the very start of the game, but thruster and turning jet upgrades aren't all that expensive- at max on both the ship can stop very quickly if you spin 180 and thrust. The main problem is the tendency to spend on cannons or crew capacity instead of maneuverability. I do think that the capital ship should have started with better initial turn and thrust.

They got addicted to fast posting over there, quantity over quality. Now they can't sit still and think something out because the thread will just ignore it anyway.

i dont know, most of that games appeal was the setting, the characters and the story.
super melee was a fun way to kill time with friends though

fuck off nigger we're full

not really but every once in a while one of us just tires of being a cancerous little shit until something drags us back down. i think were on the verge of ascending

Max Payne's combat always felt "off" to me, but the writing, the environments, the music - everything else about it was a joy.

There have been a couple of bad droughts in post quality like mid to late 2015, though this year has been alright. 2014 was still the greatest year for us, though.

I agree the story and the whole feel of a Noire esc cop gone rouge to avenge his family was fantastic to see unfold

I thought Max Payne's gameplay was great - controls were tight, had great weapon variety, and level design was nice and varied. It also has the best implementation of bullet time in the series, not stupidly broken like in 2 or mostly useless like in 3. Only problem was it was rather short and lacking in enemy variety.

I think the combat and walking encyclopedias are enough to bring down the gameplay low enough that it's hard to say that the overall gameplay is good. If you're fine with overlooking the combat and NPCs, the gameplay is stellar.

This should always be the number 1 answer to the question.

It only ascends to mediocre if you know the game inside-out enough to gimp yourself outl

I didn't hate SC2's gameplay, but I can see why others would. Of course, I would always use Thraddash Death Squads to burn everything to a crisp.

Mario.

What year did you play MGS1? Aside from Thief, there wasn't any other stealth game in the public consciousness at the time.

What the fuck is the point of playing a video game with bad gameplay? I'm not even trying to say "Gameplay is everything" but where's the fun in any of it? The only time I see it making sense is if you were trying to directly punish yourself or getting a laugh out of a cheesy story.

The gameplay wasn't bad, just generic RE4.

If you don't get the quick travel thing it's like a 3 minute ride to get anywhere all the time, and I can only listen to York talking about movies for so many times.

Given that they're just the interactions used to test a player's character building, it's not so bad that they're as simple as they are in their current incarnation. Of course having more developed interactions would have served the game better, but as is there's enough variety in those interactions (for as ubiquitous combat is) that, with the rest of its aspects, I still find the gameplay to be overall good.

This is a great point, but I would argue that the gameplay is at best mediocre in the combat and RPG mechanics.

Player skill is almost completely unimportant in combat when what it should ideally be is you need to be as skilled as your character at an action, like you character's acrobatics skill makes the dodge animation shorter and if you yourself have really good timing you will make far more use out of it than someone who just stands there and doesn't dodge.

And for the builds, there is no reason not to become incredibly powerful in every regard. Now this sounds like a strange criticism, but the point is that the variety of builds is severely limited by this. There is no reason not to run around as someone with a low skill in some ability or shitty weapons, and there are games where this actually isn't the case. Some From Software games account for this like in Armored Core where if you spend all your credits on the fanciest weapons and fuck the mission up you lose all of them, so there's a risk versus reward situation going on. It's easier to get the reward if you get the fanciest equipment, but if you fail then the punishment is more severe. Dark Souls (accidentally?) does this with the way the multiplayer formula works, so that if you want to make a co-op build you have to set an arbitrary level cap on yourself.

These aren't gigantic problems like the one's shitrim's gameplay faces, but they're significant enough to the point where I couldn't honestly say that Morrowind's gameplay is above a 6/10 with 10/10 being reserved for shit like Q3 or DMC3/4. I really do love the way exploration works with NPCs giving you directions instead of quest markers, and the fact that you can just spend your time joining a faction and working for them instead of the main quest or random side quests is great too. I can't actually think of an example of a game that does both of these at the same time, everyone always cites Gothic for doing the first one but it certainly wants you to do the main quest, and Mountain Blade might not have fancy exploration mechanics but it does have plenty of factions or other ways to uniquely establish your character in the world.

Nigger please. There's a thin strip of "relatively balanced" between the brief period of making shitty characters because you don't know anything about the game and breaking the game like a jew's neck because you invested in the right skills and cheesed your way to a top-tier weapon. However, pretty much everything else about Morrowind is so balls-to-the-wall incredible that having shitty combat really doesn't hurt it that much - especially because, as mentioned, it doesn't hold you back at all because it's so easy to break.

but fwiffo is dead, the ultimate evil won.

My first attempt at Morrowind ended with the usual casual complaints.

Then I tried again but couldn't get truly into it.

A third time, it clicked at long last. I played a good ten hours before it stopped. I got immensely bored. It took too long to get anywhere and the combat always sucks.

All TES sucks. I'd love the series to get a competent developer to deliver both with the gameplay and writing.

Stay there.

But user I cant funpost over there right now :)

really though, Ive decided Im going to stay here permanently. Its much nicer than other Holla Forums. But I won't post until Im able to predict what a reply to another post will be. Thats always my rule for posting on new boards and I guess in this case a website.

All Sonic games fall into this category if you include music.

The player's skill in an RPG should be in developing their character first and foremost, and less so on the moment-to-moment interactions that test that. If they wanted to go for a more action-oriented approach, then the approach you described would fit. However in terms of "action" mechanics TES always been simplistic - Morrowind being not any more complex than Daggerfall - to the points where they were just as simple for interactions as going through menus in a turn-based RPG. Clearly the game isn't mechanically focused on providing that sort of experience.
Technically yes - by spending enough time and money you can basically max out everything. However the build variety in Morrowind comes from the path you take to get there. There's plenty of ways to gain power, either training yourself directly, enchanting your shit, or enchanting yourself, and there's plenty of ways to buy your way there or acquire it yourself.

Given that you're comparing the gameplay of Morrowind to DMC and Quake, you wouldn't be viewing Morrowind from the perspective of an action game, would you? I wouldn't even consider TES to be ARPG until Oblivion and Skyrim where they start stripping out the RPG mechanics thus making the still underdeveloped action mechanics just as important. Up until then there was clearly a much bigger focus on role-playing and the action in the game was limited to just basic interactions.

This is such a poorly worded OP. Why does it have to be the case that the people who decide to make new threads can't be assed to spend 5 extra seconds on how to properly word a 2 sentence post?
Your usage of "gameplay" is bad, and you should feel bad for using it that way.

NieR

Nier is the only one I can think of. Combat was utter trash, puzzles were horribly easy/boring, story and soundtrack easily made up for all of that. I've never forced myself through any other game that I didn't enjoy actually playing though, if I like the music I'll just listen to it on my own and it's incredibly rare that a story can make up for trash-tier gameplay.

This game was frustrating buggy shit that made me want to pull my hair out, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

how long have you been posting here, newfriend

All games with bad gameplay are shit games.

I would also say muvluv alternative or any vn really, but those don't count.

Legacy of Kain series

Here lies a retard.

Let his (1) post be buried with him.

A video game can have poor gameplay qualities and still be enjoyable. Pokemon for example is really fucking shallow babbys game that a lot of people still like just because it has a nice atmosphere. I think another way to describe it would be "Good experiences" instead of games. Something like Pong or Tetris is what you could describe as just a "good game" because there is no more depth to them. They are just games and nothing else. Unfortunately everything gets thrown under the umbrella term, Video Game.

There's literally no such thing. Star Control II has a pretty enjoyable story the first time around but ultimately its mechanics come together in a way that make it not a good game.

Sorry user, but you have terrible taste.

I'd describe it as a game that isn't tightly designed to provide a challenging experience as a priority, but is still framed as an actual game rather than a narrative corridor. I think it's like a proof of quality thing for a narrative-driven game to show that it still could be like other games if it really tried, that the skeleton is there and it's just limited by the budget. That's what separates pic related from hipster moviegames for me anyway.

More like, Suda 51 games in general are pretty trash games which somehow manage to be fun, enjoyable, and addictive despite their handicaps.

i know this game just isnt my cup of tea but im going to stick my neck out and say the main draw was the atmosphere and the fact that it could take forever to get anything done. but im sure that hit the right spot for a lot of people, when youre going through a routine youre bound to make some friends right?
you know what i do love about the game though? the music.

Every Game on the PS1

Content is explicitly separate from gameplay. What 're you talking about?

I think 2000. And I was a pretty big thief fan, I guess that's why I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much. Also Codename 47
Same deal with MGS2 and the first splinter cell

The best RPGs suffer from that.

Great game, but the gameplay sucks dick

It's not a 3D stealth game or even a stealth game. It's a 2D action game with a stealth theme and very light and basic stealth elements to fit that theme. You can play the game guns blazing and the story fits the action all the same because Snake only pretends to be a stealth guy when he's outgunned like Rambo does in First Blood or whatever.

Playing MGS for stealth is like playing CounterStrike as a realistic urban warfare SWAT simulator.

Every individual aspect of this game is sub par at best, but the overall game is amazing.

I was trying to get the Saint achievement last time I played that game and ended up throwing my controller against the wall in pure Calebheart rage.

Gameplay != game mechanics
Gameplay implies you're playing with something (aka the content)

chicken

lol