Toaster games

Anything worthwhile playing that was released in the last 3 - 4 years that runs on a decade old toaster?

Thinking of stuff like FTL, presumably the list will be pretty indie game focussed.

I wanted to check out Inside but it seems that's too taxing on my system. I had issues running Hyper Light Drifter to give an idea of the POS I'm running.

Other urls found in this thread:

piriform.com/speccy/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

run this

piriform.com/speccy/download

screenshot and post details

Cataclysm DDA. But oh wait, that's early access.

Nigga move your lazy ass and searched around. I recommend Steam, GoG and just straight up google.
No, just use them as catalog for pirating.

Check Arcen games' stuff

A shitton of roguelikes. Try DoomRL for starters (it's from 2003, but was still being updated in 2013).

Underrail and Xenonauts.

Off the top of my head:

Fortune Summoners
Papers Please
Project Zomboid
Hotline Miami
Mother Russia Bleeds
Shovel Knight
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Undertale
Stardew Valley
Free Cities

Serpent in the Staglands.

don't you hate having to pay for cataclysm dda. why can't it be free. goddamn early access

My user. Supreme taste.

Are you an autist? Terraria has a shitload of content and runs in basically anything if you are into that sort of explore-craft-build thing.

When you have a toaster, your best bet is always emulating great games from old consoles that you might have missed, you know, Super Metroid, Castlevania 4, etc on SNES; Contra Hard Corps, Alien Soldier, Ristar, etc. on the Genesis, and the like. There must be a must-play retro games list somewhere.

Good taste, can confirm that shit will run on anything.

There are a few open source games that run nicely on older hardware. Minetest has nice world generation and massive worlds, but is a bit barebones without mods and the mods are laggy. Sauerbraten is a neat FPS with an engine that lets you make your own levels. Red Eclipse runs off the same engine, so it should run OK with tweaks.
You could try RPGMaker games as well but they're not that new. OFF, Space Funeral and the FNAFB trilogy are neat timewasters.

battlefield revive

i gotta imagine one way heroics would run alright

All of these, plus:

Freedom Planet
Risk Of Rain
Deadbolt
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Gurumin: A Monstruous Adventure
Shantae Risky's Revenge

Just emulate actual good games from SNES, PSP, SEGA, etc.

Have already done that pal, hence the OP.

Fantastic game, definitely deserves more attention. I also hear they're working on an expansion.

Underrail: Expedition? Due somewhere early next year.

The problem I have with underrail is that the combat system is not complex enough for me.
Like you can't change stance, strafe, ready your weapon, even look where you want to isn't possible.
I like the game but it triggers my autism sometimes.
I wish that were more like JA2 and the RPG part more complex.

Still a good game.

When did this happen? I knew the game was descending to shit for a while now.

In my play through I had a Psyker/SMG build that was pretty squeeshy and some-what varied in crowd control and dmg dealing. Got to the Institute of Tchort, explored all i could - talked to the faceless and all that shit in the ruin zone. Came back to the entrance hallway and cast locus of control + enrage on a varied group of tchortist that was standing around. I didn't know this at the time cause i did none of the quests for them but there are factions within the larger Tchortist organisation. By casting enrage on the group (which was made up of the 3 factions in the institute of Tchort) they turned on each other and all others in the room. After they all had killed each other I went into the eastern part of the institute expecting the whole organisation to be hostile to me. They were, but also fighting each other. All of the various Tchortist factions were fighting each other, an all out orgy of violence and i didn't really need to do much other than wait. Looted the place and got to the elevator.
Still pretty sweet to me.
Cant wait for the EXP.

There is tons of good stuff to play on a toaster user, just off my head

FTL
Dustforce
Axiom Verge
Towerclimb
Chronicles of Teddy
Steredenn
Momodora
Spelunky
Shovel Knight
Undertail
20xx
Hotline Miami
Dungeon of the Endless
Darkest Dungeon
Bot Vice
Freedom Planet
Pacman Championship Edition

real fucking funny

Got this laptop for free, never bothered to check out it's specs and only ever used it for shitposting in bed.

How bad is it? I'm not really good with all the different components and their equivalents with other brands.
I tried to run some games. It can run Remember Me quite well, which surprised me, as I thought this thing was 100% toaster.

:^)

Just do it.

Copy kitty is great fun and works on a notebook.

Amazingly I can't run this, something about Opengl 3 and me not having it. Appreciate the other suggestions tho.

i don't judge a game entirely by its graphics

JUST
SPECS
MAN

Done

Gooooooood

Try n by Metanet Software, it's free. N++ won't work since it requires Opengl 3.

To be fair, Darkest Dungeon is known for crashing for no knowable reason.

I stopped in Deep Caverns on my first character, which is pure Psi. God DAMN is Psi fun and broken.

Also, I'll add a few games to the toaster list.

Risk of Rain (without the Spite artifact)
Sunless Sea (might have to turn down the quality a bit on some machines)
Majesty Gold HD (old game, but recently patched up and optimized to work on newer machines, with native HD resolution support)
SpaceChem
Don't Starve
Dungeon of the Endless (look past the pixel graphics, the game is truly amazing)

How is Xenonauts compares to new X-Com? (I haven't played X-Com 2)
Wasn't keen on the graphics. Not in terms of it being 2D- just the style.

OP here. I've been checking the games on this thread, great suggestions.

I picked up SpaceChem about 3 hours ago based on this recommendation and me checking out some reviews.

I have basically been playing for 3 hours solid, will be starting again shortly. I am absolutely blown away by how simple but additive and satisfying it is.

This alone is more than justification for the thread.

Always glad to expand some user's vidya repertoir. Also, do check out Zachtronic's other games, they have some really good shit.