RE 1, 2, 3

Why do ppl like these games?

The controls are totally clunky and bad. The camera is utter shit, disabling your spatial awareness even though there's a lot of combat in these games. The puzzles are item fetching shit without much backstory behind them. The inventory system is some of the laziest mechanics ever implemented in a video game. The melee combat is intolerable. The horror and aesthetic are mediocre, mostly because they copied Romero's style of horror instead of Fulci's superior one. And the worst of all is the writing, it's literally anime writing.

RE was a carbon copy of a game that came out 3 years earlier, yet still delivered a lot less. How is that even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game)
imdb.com/name/nm1399441/
youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The atmosphere for 1 and 2 is pretty good for a horror game.

The first one is decent I guess, a strange mix of old mansion and a high tech facility. The second one is shit though.

Shit OP if you wanted dubs thread you just had to ask man.

Alone in The Dark, are you underage or something? It had cinematic camera and tank controls due to limitations of 3D technology at the time. By the time RE came out, PS1 already had a dedicated 3D hardware, they had no reason to implement them.

I wasn't sure if you meant ALone in the Dark, because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't completely retarded. RE1 a carbon copy of Alone in the Dark? What a joke.

Resident Evil was always more Carpenter then Romero. Also all puzzles technically have a lore behind them and definatly not all of them require using items. Camera for 95% doesn't directly abstract your view of enemies, it's only specific instances when game goes for spooking you. You complaint about inventory system is the most retarded that I've ever seen, though. Like what's lazy about it? What should be done to it, so it won't be as lazy, according to you? Shit like this makes me think that this is the bait. Also melee meant to be under-powered, to put emphasis on ammo conserving, this is Walking Dead tv series, it's not ease to stab brain through the skull, not to mention all different mutants.
also
Hah definitely bait. All things that you complained about RE is way much worse, plus awkward platforming, off all things. Also Sweet Home, that was actuall prototype for Resident Evil, was long before AiDs.

What's up with nu/v/ trying to shit on classic games now?
Did you run out of new games to shit upon and in order to keep being a special snowflake you're starting to shit on old games too?

What's next?
Eventually you'll shit on every single game ever made, and you'll be the most patrician being on earth, that always hated all video games and just plays tic tac toe alone in his room.

Nostalgia and waifus.

It's youngfags butthurt over their games not being liked

Can you prove the otherwise?

Have you actually played the original Alone in the Dark trilogy?

it's shit m8

You need to prove how it's a carbon copy, faggot. You didn't say a that it was like Alone, you didn't say it was very similar to Alone, you didn't even say that it was a mere copy. You said carbon copy, and then implied the 10fps Alone did it better when that's a laugh and a half.

I want FJ and 4cuck refugees to kill themselves and never return.

The zombie design and behaviors I mean.

I don't recall needing to read much to solve a puzzle in any RE game.

When they do it's annoying, due to the bad inventory system.

But when they do it takes a lot of time due to the crappy inventory system.

It's still an impairing obsolete mechanic that everyone somehow loves. It doesn't even spook me.

Something like weight based inventory system? Considering AITD already had it, there was no reason for them not to implement it other than laziness.

Or maybe they should've given less guns and less ammo to the player instead.

The only worse things there are the double tapping run button and mafias with guns (2nd game).

That game absolutely had nothing in common with RE.

Less boring than praising video games all day.

Yes, since I was 13 or 14 and hadn't even discovered dosbox yet.

Because the atmosphere is perfect?
It's actually not just nostalgia. The controls are outdated, though.

Of course AITD did it better. The puzzles are more interesting, the writing is more elaborate, the melee combat is better, the flow between combat and puzzles is more balanced, and no goddamn boss fights.

The first one only, and would be a lot better if the main characters weren't so cringeworthy.

Oh please. The entire theme of having to escape from an Mansion filled with monsters
is pretty fucking similar. Not to mention the spoopy DOOR OPENING ANIMATION is taken straight from it.

Hell, Resident Evil 4's initial build was practically a spiritual successor to Sweet Home.

Indie devs trying to undermine the games they ape so you look at their games better.

They're actually ghosts in Sweet Home.

The only thing I can think of that is similar to RE.

You're comparing a top down JRPG to 3D action adventure. Alone in The Dark is far more similar in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Before Mikami played AITD.

Semantics. You're really reaching to dodge the similarities bro.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game)

Zombie maybe iconic to RE, but it's far from being the only defining design for RE games. Most of stronger mutant enemies and bosses clearly inspired by John Carpenter, heck RE4 is essentially what would be a John Carpenter movie in video-game format.

That's not the lore, you're talking about. You have to read in order to solve puzzles though.

Everybody love static beautifully drawn backgrounds, that help one of oldest PS1 games still hold up visually to this day. Also, situation where you can't see enemy, but can hear him is horror 101, I don't care if doesn't spook you, it was pretty spooky for it's time.
What for? You still pretty limited in how much thing you can carry. Weight limit isn't required when you have to handle inventory space and limited resources as is. Even then, I don't get how this is making inventory system straight up horrible, so as item based puzzles.
Oh yes, less choice in combat for player and less enemy types to realize those choices. You pretty much complaining that RE isn't boring enough game.
Yeah except same director, similar setting and emphasis on item resourcing. For fuck sake, Resident Evil began as Sweet Home remake.

They're literally ghosts, Christ dude. Have you even played it?

And??? He made megaman too.

They're what you encounter the most though.

Yes, but not much, and seemed more like a riddle than actual story.

Yes, but I think it could use a lot less combat.

When a key takes up as much slot as a shotgun, it's beyond horrible.

On the contrary, I think melee combat allows a lot more creativity when done right.

I know that RE was set to be a spiritual successor to Sweet Home, probably a first person RPG game. But the end product is much closer to AITD. Setting and item resourcing, the same can be said for AITD.

Dogs are not a "main enemy" of RE1 and Zombies barely qualify since the later half has high tier enemies (hunters specifically) replace nearly all the zombies. That's not counting chimeras, hornets, spiders, the giant snake, plant 42, neptune, and the motherfucking Tyrant.

Says you

I don't think you know what elaborate means. Hint: It doesn't mean better. Nor is it true in this instance.

Hardly. Slowly kicking a zombie to death is not good melee. For that matter RE isn't focused on melee at all. Melee is meant to be discouraged.

How is this even a critique? RE1 rarely has combat in a puzzle room.

Ah, so you suck. Why didn't you just say so?

Excellent progression and mechanics.

You have to explore and gradually unlock a reasonably complex environment while managing limited resources. You actually have to do a lot of thinking in classic RE games even for something as simple as moving from point A to point B, you usually have multiple routes, you have to consider the risks involved with each route (which enemies does it have? how much ammo will I need? how many healing items will I be risking? does the route have limited usages? etc), you have to consider the state of your inventory and if you have enough room to pick up critical items you might encounter, you have to consider if you need a particular key item or weapon for your destination and a whole bunch of stuff.

Now compare that with most modern scrptfests and how you van easily sleepwalk through those games without doing any thinking at all, just by following markers and instructions onscreen. Classic RE games are masterpieces in comparison.

That's what the games do right, they make you get involved, they put an actual problem in front of you and task you with figuring out and picking one in multiple solutions instead of grabbing your hand and walking you through a corridor filled with pretty graphics. Clasdic RE games are tightly designed spooky little progression boxes with elements that work well together even if they seem clunky and not very flashy in isolation.

I'm seriously starting to think these threads are made by Bethesda/EA/Ubisoft/whatever shills to make us play new garbage

This so much.
I spent a lot of time just looking at the map in RE1, trying to figure out where should I go and planning my route not unlike in Metroid. Limited inventory made it even more challenging. Six item slots, you have to bring back two keys, and there's magnum ammo along the way so you should probably save a slot for that. Oh, and there's a big fucking snake you have to beat, a one way drop, and no chests or typewriters until you find the other way out. That's what made it challenging. carrying loaded weapons with no spare ammo is best
The first one was the best with this, RE2 broke the formula and suffered for it.

it's Todd
it's all Todd

Uh, No.

Kids today can't play anything that isn't an T/FPS or a MOBA

Most of those aren't even mechanics.

They're the first enemies you encounter, just like AITD, how about that?

If you hate reading, then I can't convince you.

If you think that bottom of the barrel B-movie flicks with akward dialogue unironically have better script than Lovercraft's novels.

You get a shotgun and a sabre almost immediately, and the bare fist fight has 4 attack variations with different timing and different directions. If you don't think that's good then you're a faggot.

They're just bad at making decent melee combat.

You can't avoid combat with puzzles either.

Great critique, especially after you admitted that you couldn't even melee the dog.

nice me me.

nice post format

Even if the puzzles, controls, and narrative are lacking, I do like the level design of RE. It's not the only game that does that kind of preservation and multiple pathways, but it does it well.

I understand why people dont like them, but those along with fixed camera angles were clever designs with how rough the early days of 3D gaymen were.

It also sure as hell added to the tension.

No, tank controls mixed with a fixed camera isn't scary nor is it meant to be scary. For the graphics to look better than pointy polygons they had to make the camera fixed to pull off the illusion.

That's right, graphics, not challenging gameplay or immersive horror.

Yes that was the point.

Static environments have always had more detail than full 3d ones it has always been this way.

That is why 'modern' CRPGs have gone back to static environments. Also if you won't acknowledge the intent of the camera angles used in RE games you are either being disingenuous or know nothing on the subject.

Well you had to remember that the PS1 couldnt handle a whole lot, especially not during the early days of 3d games when devs were getting used to the system. Even then though RE had a lock on to make it easier though I heard that was removed from the western release to increase rental sales.

kys

Yes it is you fucking mongoloid, and tank controls were made so you don't change to a completely different direction everytime the camera changes. Try playing REmake without tank controls and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Early RE was definitely a product of its time, and it certainly shows moreso now than back then, but they still recieved critical appraise precisely because it knew how to handle the severe limitations of early 3d tech and still manage to be enjoyable to play. The way you describe it comes accross as "modern graphics are better so it fucking sucks", when the real visual design came from its pre-rendered 3d backgrounds instead of the choppy looking, blocky characters.

Believe it or not, the game relied on many more things to convey its horror, moreso than in its graphics: you would sometimes see a long, empty space and you would tense up because you knew something was waiting for you, other times you'd stand on a corner with the sound clearly letting you know that an enemy was around the corner (which used the fixed camera to great effect, so that you wouldn't ruin the surprise), and if you know your sound cues you might relax when you recognize a zombie, or tense the fuck up if it's the stepping noise of a hunter, especially if you were on "warning" health.

Notice how those moments rely more on perception and audio being hand-in-hand with the game mechanics than on the graphics meme because, again, the game had to handle the limitations of the hardware. So far the only thing you've been doing is saying "it's shit because my opinion says so", and then doing this stupid shit of decrying the critics as "lol nostalgia fags xD" when they call you on your argument being nothing more than "I don't like sushi".

Have non of you actually played these games?
Especially Resident Evil 3. How can you say that game is Clunky is beyond me.

Of course they haven't played anything past 2007

I will just leave this on the subject matter. Resident Evil 3 controls Smoother then Resident Evil 4, and that is a Fact. Resident Evil 4 still utilizes the tank controls of the previous games; it wasn't until Resi 5 where you could side step for christ sakes.

Tank controls being hard is a fucking normalfag meme.
Not only is controlling the character much more satisfying but its great from a game design standpoint.

the thing is however, Resident Evil 3 DOES control Great. So Does Resi 2 for the most part; all it was lacking with the Quick Turning and actual smooth movement on the stairs. I never had trouble with any of the games, including Code Veronica or Outbreak.

Also, Resident Evil 3 also a neat dodging mechanic and much more dangerous enemies to compensate for it. It IS simply fact that if you dont like tank controls in a Resi game, you are a casual, at which point you should not be playing them, nor have an opinion on them.

The actual Resident Evil 4 on the other hand…

You wouldn't actually be far off; not only all the reused assets, but I am pretty confident that guns are their most powerful in DMC1. Doesn't the Shotgun 1 Shot Puppets, Scissor Sisters and pretty much most minor enemies?… They is not much of a huge combo game in the first DMC

It doesn't one shot scissors, but it stuns the fuck out of them.
It also works like a proper vidya shotgun, later DMC shotguns didn't feel like they were any better at close range.

I'm not talking about spacing, nigger.

People who break posts up into tiny snippets to reply to each point individually are usually insufferable cunts.

It has the best guns, Seriously.
I actually have a theory that all the enemies in DMC1 were suppose to be the bad-guys in the ghost version of Biohazard 4. Blades are pretty much hunters, for example, and the Variety of the Puppets are as varied as the Gonados in Resi 4. Thats just my autism Speaking however

Oh yeah, the Shotgun was also great for taking out those bug faggots.

REmake is pretty good. Played the shit out of that.
RE0 is pretty bad though.Too many enemies.

I always preferred Silent Hill.

Monsters are better and have more variety
Puzzles are much more logical, despite being more supernatural than mechanical
atmosphere is 100x better
map architecture is much more realistic
Characters behave more realistically to the bizarre things going around
Story in general, despite being far more supernatural, definitely makes more sense in almost every way
better music
better item inventory systems
and most of all, better melee combat

Probably Crapcom trying to convince everyone their first person Texas Chainsaw Massacre game is better than the originals when everyone knows the best fps survival horror is Doom 3

Strictly gameplay-wise, RE is much more tightly designed than SH. Atmosphere and story-wise, SH runs circles around RE.

You played Resident Evil for the gameplay and you played Silent Hill for the horror and story. Each game is "smarter" than the other at their respective forte. In Silent Hill you never worried about managing resources and overcoming dangers like you did in Resident Evil, but at the same time in Resident Evil you never had to make sense of a fascinating nightmarish world and story.

Judging by the trailers RE7 is looking like it's going to be classic RE in overall design, but with a first person camera and a gritty Chainsaw Massacre art direction. Honestly, that could actually work, I'll allow myself to be a little hopeful on this one.

i dunno, again, combat was much better in Silent Hill.

I mean, the fact that inexperienced civilians can barely hit monsters with guns makes more sense than a trained expert police force having trouble shooting slow walking zombies in the head enough times…

plus moving around feels much smoother and more natural in Silent Hill. I especially love when you bump into things and the characters react to it. they dont feel like robots, like in RE

Disregarding the fact that you have the most offensively fucktarded opinion on what constitutes good combat that I've ever seen, the core gameplay of RE is really what I'm talking about here

I often joke about RE being an inventory/resource management game with monsters occasionally thrown in for you to run past them.

calm down, buddy. core gameplay doesnt mean shit when one game does it better in a more unconventional way.
Being formulaic doesnt automatically make it the best game.

You killed Barry you faggot

I want to suck Sherry's g-virus spewing cock while she pats my head affectionately and timidly asks for more

Late millenials and generation Y faggots go die in a fire. Half of the tension comes from purposely limiting your movement options. See what happens to REmake when you enable the new controls and you'll see what I mean.

Because they were great for their time, and still hold up for the most part.

Check my singles

I am one of the most hardcore SH fans you'll ever met and what you just said is quite possibly the DUMBEST SHIT I'VE EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

THE ENTIRE FUCKING

POINT

OF

SH

IS

TO

FUCKING

RUN

And conserve ammo for bosses.
Combat not only is secondary, and vastly less precise and responsive compared to RE, but the ONLY way you could justify such a shit opinion in that disesased, rotten little half brain of yours, is that you're specifically referring to the melee combat.
And in that case, while in RE2 melee combat was indeed shit, Onimusha did it better using a very similiar combat, to the point where Onimusha clearly has the best melee combat out of any surviva horror series, including SH.
SH melee combat was better than RE, sure, but by no means a selling point, or even good in any way.
Actually play video games you shit for brains.

good bait im replying

Not bad, but Loli Sherry is superior

So as an user who 1st played resident evil 1 and 2 this year on ps1 console.
Resident Evil: Director's Cut is both hard as balls and annoying as fuck. Had no fun with this since items acquired were lacking. Clips would be 14 rounds each, zombies took 8-ish rounds to kill. So blowing your ammo reserves was easy as fuck. Ink Ribbons were 2 per ribbon found. I only found 8 and saved 15 times that game. Didn't fucking help that not all typewriters had an ink ribbon and you can find an ink ribbon no where near a typewriter. In short finding and holding items as Chris Redfield was a fucking pain in the ass. Don't even get me started on the dogs that could take 4 fucking shotgun shots to the face and could still survive.
Resident Evil 2 improved on all the grievances I had on re1:DC and had a larger map. Better item management, slightly larger pocket size, more ink ribboms, etc. It wasn't easier in terms of gameplay, it just didn't overly buff every enemy you go against.

Amazing taste

Good stuff, this music stuck with me ever since I saw my brother play through this game over and over again as a kid.

This is BS.

I went into SH after playing RE so I overly conserved ammo and I somehow ended SH1 with 100 rounds of pistol ammo, and a ton of rifle/shotgun ammo. I actually got too comfortable with supplies towards the end and burned through all the medkits I was hoarding, so the last bossfight literally came down to RNG between whether or not I could spam rifle shots fast enough to end it.

Haha you know what else is shit? The fucking WHEEL. I MEAN what the fuck, people? It's fucking round, it can't fly, there isn't an HDMI port, and you can't even post to face book with it.

Like really, WTH, SMH. Fuck the wheel it was a worthless piece of shit. Right chums?

This is my life in every survival horror game. My autism draws me to using the cheapest, most efficient methods, so melee+handgun normally, and I always end the game with a ton of ammo for the high-tier weapons that I never got to enjoy.

Send help

Oh hey it's that thread again.
The earlier version of this thread had him say that Resident Evil puzzles were too hard and made no sense for poor OP's little head, maybe Capcom should design puzzles around sucking dick so OP can finally get a puzzle on his own.

Crapcom go away, come back when you have details on how you're butchering REmake 2

Might want to look at and

this. I came from a MGS background getting into RE/SH and I'm used o melee more and I played almost all of SH1/3 without using guns

No, he's right.
From the interviews essentially they want to make RE1 in first person.
It will probably have melee weapons as a backup to firearms with limited ammo (in think the demo already has that, for example, it was patched in).

It's really not that far fetched to imagine if you've played another series called Condemned, it was first person, had melee combat, and firearms were limited in use (at least initially).
Now on the other hand, can modern capcom pull this off?
Maybe, maybe not.
But the idea isn't to make first person RE6, nor to flat out make Outlast, they're actually trying to go back in some ways.
And it can be done, if they put some effort into it.

You can melee your way trough SH games, but it doesn't change the fact that it's utter shit.
Again, you want a melee focused traditional survival horror game?
Play Onimusha.

The controls are bad, but the camera is fucking top notch nigger.

Also, I like the controls myself.

how about you suck my fucking dick you shit taste cockmuncher

So far the only thing you've been doing is saying "it's good because my nostalgia influenced opinion says so".

Love the music.

Put it better than I could have.

That's only for the director's cut of RE1, which gave us this masterpiece, it's a shame he's already forgotten again, as you said.

onimusha 1-3 HD collection when?

Never.
That would actually make me happy, and in this reality things that make me happy aren't allowed to exist.

I admit I don't know anything about music, but to my uneducated ears that sounds terrible.

Look guys, the Alone in the Dark fag is back to post yet another thread about how he has sour grapes over RE being remembered over AitD.

That's the joke, the only game that hack fraud composer did in the RE series was the first game's director cut. RE1, 2 and 3 was Masami Ueda imdb.com/name/nm1399441/

Correction: only the Director's Cut Dual Shock has the shit music. Original Director's Cut is fine.

Thanks for the correction user. Are there more differences between the two besides dualshock support?

Oh ok.

Glad I'm not a crazy philistine.

My favorite vidya horror music has to be this. I like putting it on loop while reading Junji Ito mangos.

Not that I'm aware of, why they changed the music just for that release blows my mind but it ended up becoming the version most people played. If you want to play a good version of the ISO with actually uncut cutscenes and good music and dual shock support then grab the Ultimate Director's Cut fan mod. Runs on real hardware with a swap disc or modchip.

Irregularity is better for navigation.

While RE 0-1 are supposed to be night of the living dead, 2 and 3 are supposed to be dawn and day of the dead.
youtube.com/watch?v=uymff74kDu0

SH has better camera and aesthetics, but the controls are the same cramp inducing shit. There's nothing worse than tank controls with d-pad or analog. With keyboard it's much more tolerable because you press the directional buttons with 3 fingers. Some of the maps, both indoor and outdoor, imo is too big and empty. It gets boring sometimes, being big is okay but being empty and samey is not quite. SH2 fixed the level design I guess. The puzzles are gay, yes, I'm that guy who hates riddles and prefer intuitive puzzles. The story is shit as well, they shouldn't have explained everything, the main character shouldn't lose his kid (Holla Forums hates this in FO3/4, how could they love this shit here) but rather search for something a lot more enigmatic, and the characters should've spoken philosophical dialogue like in Stalker to intensify the atmosphere.

Condemned has too much unskippable cutscene and boring scripted sleuth works where the niggress won't shut up. They hurt the replayability so much. Otherwise, great game with some of the best first person melee combat I've ever played.

are you a pussy?

newfag can't even into Parasyte

The Thing came out way before Parasyte.

Says the guy who brought up Zombies and dogs.

Zombies are iconic to the series, that doesn't make them the main enemies or anything like AITD's other than being zombies, which news flash, faggot, AITD didn't invent.

Cause flailing a saber around makes good melee right? Funny how you mention the shotgun when we were talking about melee, but I guess you got desperate. I didn't think you had the balls to bring up firearms, since AITD pales in comparison to RE1's aresenal. There isn't a weapon in RE1 that doesn't have its uses, including the knife, which can be used to dispatch most zombies if you don't suck.

Again, AITD's melee combat isn't anything to praise. Being able to do more damage doesn't make melee better. The game was designed to make ammo conservation important. This is why every gun has a use, there isn't a single useless weapon in RE1. The only way to interpret the knife as useless, is for you to suck at using it. Knife-knife-backup-knife-backup-knife-etc.

I guess it makes sense that this would be too much for you. You need your melee at 10fps or else it overwhelms you.

No, puzzles are for advancement and for ammo/weapons. You avoid combat with your skill, since it is a game after all. Good players can avoid a lot of enemies. Knowing how enemies react and grasping the timing of movements allows for good players to dodge even hunters.

So is your whole thread just you saying that your personal opinion is the absolute true?

How'd they get it all on one cartridge?

They're fun OP

largest cartridge size available and fucking gigantic levels of compression

My favourite RE game is Dino Crisis 2

What about Dino Crisis 3

It's sad how games are so far removed from gameplay designs like this that they seem completely alien to games of today.

I actually wish unorthodox controls make a return and return hard. Everything controlling the same has made games play all the same way.

That RE3 dodge changed flipped how you played the game on it's head, which is good IMO. I just wish it appeared in RE2 first then we would have seen it in Dino Crisis. Damn shame it wasn't in that game as it would have been an even better fit that classic RE.