Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

So how did this turn out? Apparently NISA was involved, and I want to know if they fucked it up somehow. I'm thinking of getting the PS4 version, as my potato can't emulate PS2 games, and the improvements in the new version sound nice.

And since we're on the topic of Vanillaware games, what happened to that new one they were making? I haven't heard any news in over a year.

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2016/02/04/european-release-for-odin-sphere-leifthrasir-confirmed-for-june-2016/
otakugamers.uk/2016/02/04/odin-sphere-leifthrasir-european-release-date-announced/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why not just get an actual ps2 or ps3 or a pstv

Why not just kill yourself?

I got it a little while back, it's surprisingly intact. NISA didn't appear to goof with any of its former integrity. The only major difference is that they improved the controls to feel more like Muramasa Rebirth, in that it's a lot more responsive. There is also a "classic" mode that I've yet to try, but I'm certain that it retains the original controls and feel of the initial release.
I recommend it if you've yet to play it.

I don't have a PS2 or Vita, and those have more performance issues from what I've heard. For an extra bit of money, I might as well go with the better version.

That's good to hear.

Don't know who you've been talking to, but I haven't encountered shit.

Do they all perform the same, then? I don't care about higher resolution, so maybe I could go with the PS3 version instead.

Where did you get the idea that NISA is involved?

They published in EU.

Saw a few articles announcing they were publishing it. I just didn't want to take any chances because of their terrible reputation.

nichegamer.com/2016/02/04/european-release-for-odin-sphere-leifthrasir-confirmed-for-june-2016/
otakugamers.uk/2016/02/04/odin-sphere-leifthrasir-european-release-date-announced/

Oh, well that probably just a distribution role, all the work on the English version is usually done by the US publisher. I'd still import it to avoid giving them money if you live in Europe.

Maybe theres better loading. But youd have to look at a comparison video
i also should mention that since im on henkaku I overclock my vita

Both the PS4 and the Vita release run more or less the same, I played both (got preview copies for both Vita and PS4), and Vita really does run fine.

I can only assume that PS3 runs similarly, since PS4 and Vita are fine.

PS2 version had a lot of performance issues some boss fights would result in single-digit FPS.

i love this fairy

I hated playing as her. But I liked her story

Has NISA Europe ever fucked up anything?
They mostly seem to publish untouched American localizations by various companies for the European market rather than localize them.
Don't confuse them with NISA.

I've recently finished the EU version of Trails of Cold Steel published by NISA Europe and even the credits didn't mention them at all. They just republished XSEED's localization of the game.

All localization and editing work was done by Atlus. NISA only handled production and logistics of the physical goods and the paperwork to publish and rate in Europe. (gotta give it to them, at the very least they don't fuck up with the logistics).

I got the storybook edition, and it is pretty neat. Hardcover artbook is quite nice- it's sitting next to my Dragon's Crown artbook.

The little extra they added with Ingway deep underneath the roots of Yggdrasil only made their ending more depressing.

Naa NISA EU seem solid as just a publisher
I have more trust in them than shitshows like GhostLight

Perfect.
Exclusively involved in the publishing of the EU version, not even the translation.
No.
Vita and PS4 version are the same aside minor slowdowns in busy scenes on Vita, and some incredibly minor differences in color balancing.
Gameplay wise it's basically a new game, anyone telling you to get the PS2 original or just emulating it are completely ignorant and/or flat out malicious.
It's the definitive way to play OS, it feels fucking amazing and fast as fuck to play, the new music composed for this version is mind shattering good, all the little problems the original had are more or less completely ironed out.

It's not just a remaster, it's one of the best products Vanillaware put out in recent years.
It's a must have to anyone that owns a PS4 and/or a Vita, regardless if you own the original on PS2 or not, it's a complete no brainer.

NISA Europe doesn't expressly fuck up releases, but they don't fix localizations already fucked up by NISA proper.
Thus, by simple association, they're cancer.
At least, when the product is being handled by NISA proper first.
In this case, it wasn't, it was handled by ATLUS instead.
Either way ATLUS will not work with NISA anymore, the EU publishing of OSL was the very last collaboration.

Fuck her. That little bitch nearly crashed my PS2 and made me break my controller in rage.

In the US the game was handled by Atlus, I think NISA was just the publisher for certain regions. I have the PS4 version and I loved it. If you're worried about it having a NISA-tier meme localization, that is not an issue at all. It is one of the few games worth grabbing for PS4 if you have one.

PS2 and Vita have some heavy framerate dips, vita being the worse offender of the two. PS4 runs at an almost constant 60fps.

To be precise, the NA version of the PS2 game.
It was already mostly fixed in the PAL release.
And no, i wouldn't compared the framerate issues of the NA PS2 release to the Vita, the Vita version doesn't run as badly as the NA PS2 version.

She's fixed in Leifthrasir.
I mean she's still not an especially fun character to play compared to the others, but let me explain to you how her new gameplay feels like using this picture.

13 Sentinels is still being developed. Though there hasn't been a lot of news about it.

I think it looks kinda bland, as in not especially exciting or colourful compared to their other titles, but it's Vanillaware. I'm sure it'll be great. It's Vanillaware mecha with schoolgirls!

Leifthrasir has possibly overtaken Rebirth as my favorite Vanillaware title.

I can already see each row of desks being on a different scrolling parallax layer. I'm so glad there are still good devs like Vanillaware out there.

I would be more than glad if they ported Rebirth to PS4. I think Muramasa is still my favourite Vanillaware game.

The reason why Leifthrasir was better than Rebirth is that, unfortunately, Muramasa was originally envisioned for a console that had batshit retarded controls.
And thus, the core gameplay suffered for it and it could never be fully fixed, even in a re-release.

The only way it can be fixed is with a PS4 HD re-release with specific control/core gameplay finetuning, but unfortunately this will never happen.
Both games deserve to be experienced in their best possible form, but Odin Sphere deserved it a bit more, so i'm glad at least we got to see it shine.
Muramasa also deserves it, but Odin was the better priority, for sure.

In a perfect world, we'd have both.
But this is not a perfect world.

Wut? You know you can change the controls to whatever you want, both in Rebirths options menu and in the Vita system.

Also I played it both emulate on Dolphin with a gamepad and on Vita and have no idea what you mean by batshit controls, it's controlled the same way as every other sidescroller/metroidvania/beat'em'up.

A long time ago there was an user that broke down the game point by point and explained exactly why it's mechanically mediocre, especially at higher difficulties, compared to other Vanillaware games.
And the main reason why was because it had to originally accomodate Wii controls, regardless from the fact that they were optional.
It was long as fuck, like 2 posts of information breaking down the game in it's basic components and explaining why some shit wasn't working propely.

I wish i screencapped it or copy pasted it, it was extremely informative and made me realize that mechanically speaking Muramasa just isn't on the same level as most other Vanilla titles.

Is this a joke? Have you actually played the game? Tell me what these batshit controls are, it's not like it has many; move left, move right, duck, jump, attack, block, use item, change item, change weapon.

Finished it last week. The port is betty gut.

I heard Vanillaware is making a mecha games with school grills. Dunno what§s the state on that tho.

Grim Grimoire remake when?

I'd love for them to release some stuff on platforms I actually own. I've emulated everything up to this point and would like to show some support. I did get DC on ps3. Still pissed muramasa is not available on the wiiu eshop.

Anyone got a pic with all the vanillaware games and the best version of them?