Video Game Collection

Jesus fucking Christ, imagine a day in this dudes game library. What would you play Holla Forums? If you had one day or two. Also, where do you draw the line on video game collecting? What games do you have? Physical only.

HOW THE FUCK DO PEOPLE AFFORD THIS

Does he have skyrim

LMAO, fucking nerd, good luck getting a woman from the club into that neckbeard virgin sanctuary of his LMAO ;)

I just grab games that interest me. No need to try to get a full system library or anything, especially with how big some systems are and how much licensed, sports, and shovelware shit there is out there. Also, for systems where scalpers have hit too hard, or that have large fan translation scenes where there's no official copies in English anyhow, I'm content to just go for downloaded roms (PS1 is about as early as I can still pick up cheapish games for, though with the Gamecube I at least had some stuff before the price hikes hit, so I'm willing to play the long game in finding worthwhile stuff at lower than average costs).

Give me a bit and I'll get some fresh pictures.

WEW

This, tbh. Emulation is a beautiful thing.

I go to the occasional retro game fair and pick up stuff that interests me. I usually emulate the more expensive games, because fuck paying £65 for an unboxed Paper Mario.
I collect Master System, Mega Drive and ZX Spectrum games and grab the occasional N64 game that doesn't cost a fortune. So far I've got flashcarts or their equivalent for my Amiga, Speccy and GBC, and I'm getting an Everdrive 64 eventually

i more interested in the arcade machines, daytona 2 is fucking rad

What the shit, the game isn't even that rare. It was among the most popular for this system. Earthbound is another example of a game that has been jacked up in price by fucking scalpers, it's pretty fucking common. You can tell by seeing all the copies on ebay right now alone, rare games are actually rare, not just overpriced. I want the scalper fucks to get out of my hobby.

Make Retro Collecting Great Again

if i had one or two days id spend too much time deciding what i wanted to do, then id probably just go and play something i already owned anyways.
i already have everything i want and thats not enough time to explore. so id get depressed and do essentially nothing.

Collectorfags ruined videogame collections

what if were our own worst enemy?

Sadly, it's likely a mixture of supply not meeting demand as older stuff becomes more popular, as well as kids that grew up with the systems now being adults with easier access to money and being too willing to drop money on the prices that scalpers want for shit. Not enough people that play the "lie in wait" game of knowing their local options and if anywhere is prone to fucking up prices in the opposite direction. Finding something otherwise pricy that you've wanted to play cheap feels great. Not only do you not have to pay as much, but you deny a potential scalper fodder to sell, as well as deny the scalper yourself as a customer to peddle their wares to, since there's little point in having multiple copies of a game if what you had already works.

Also cases like Super Smash Bros. Melee which is common as fuck yet goes for $60+ preowned because demand is just that absurdly high (combined with general Gamecube game price hikes and further kiking over most games from/with major Nintendo franchises on the system).

I'd say there's a difference between the type that buy shit just because and are willing to pay whatever to say that they own it, and people that pickup what games are of personal interest and try to avoid justifying scalpers by paying less than whatever the "average" has been jacked up to.

It's more than that though. There are groups out there, possibly just one since they all seem to get buddy buddy on certain forums, who horde rare carts to jack up the price. It's not even uncommon and happens all the time. Like I said, you can tell a game isn't rare when there are like at least 10 copies on ebay just sitting there. If it were really rare, if the demand were really there, then those copies wouldn't be there. Retro collecting is a massive scam if you go to the right time period, no joke at all. Smash Bros Melee sounds like it's getting the same manipulation going on, in fact we're really starting to see it with that gen. Sadly now the only good gen left to collect for is the Wii/PS3/360 as shit is still cheap as dirt but that's because no one gives a fuck.

Not sure if it's the fact that I don't have access to good naturally light at this hour, but some of these fresh photos seem blurry. Going to try to make do though.

Yeah, I've certainly heard about that. I know there's some stores out there that, while not going as far as destroying copies, will hide all but one in a backroom, or somewhere the customer can't see and only have one on display, as if it's the sole copy they have. To be fair, in some cases it might just be (I wouldn't expect local stores here to actually have more than one copy of uncommon, but not exactly good to resell games), but I'm pretty sure most resellers wouldn't turn down the option to buy something like Earthbound for $40 or so from a customer and keep it in the backroom to sell down the line for $150 or whatever the average price is.

I think it may have more to do with the way Smash players seem to consider Melee to the be the absolute best and thus people that are fond of doing tourneys and shit are always wanting it. I know one local store where I've asked them about the state of it out of curiosity, and they've said when a copy comes in, it's lucky to last an hour on the shelf, let alone five minutes on the trade in table if traded during a high traffic hour when people are prone to see it being traded in. In addition, they used to run a list of who wanted what games to set aside as reserves for potential buyers, and had to completely stop that because 95% of the games people kept asking for was Melee, and the backlog would have gotten into the hundred if not higher soon enough.

Makes me glad to not have much interest in picking up a copy myself, since no one comes over to my place in the first place.

PS2's still pretty reasonable for the most part, aside from a handful of titles, and if memory serves, the Xbox is still pretty damn cheap to the point the Otogi games going for $18 or so each is considered pricier than the average Xbox game. Also, I'd suspect that the reason that 7th gen is cheap these days is that we're now in 8th gen, but Gamestop still stocks both and thus there isn't a localized shortage of stuff that happens when they drop stocking for a system and make it that much harder to find locally. On that note, Gamestop's been raising prices a bit with certain PS3 games. Of note, I've noticed online that El Shaddai has gone up to $10 there (used to be the same $5 the 360 version still sits at), and Tales of Zestiria was $30 used despite me having seen it at $15 used a week or so prior to that.

He says he plays every game he gets and the Ps1 has over 4900 games in Japan.

FUCK

If I was a billionaire living in a massive mansion/castle, I'd totally be a collector like him. The biggest problem is dedicating a room to it. Wouldn;t do it if I lived in a normal sized house. I'd have to have throwaway space that I wouldn't miss.

well mansions and castles always have libraries, at least in my head.

Considering how fuckhuge the NA PS2 library is, I have to wonder how the Japanese library compares, whether it's the same size or bigger.

I think if I was a billionaire I'd still lurk for cheap prices on vidya so as to not justify scalper prices more than I'd have to.

Flash carts are for plebians who never owned the consoles.

That said, i don't buy that this faggot isnt one of those pieces of shit that just dumps money on massive lots on ebay to get that instant collection.