XCOM/X-COM

I had never played Long War before. Started playing it, haven't even finished the first month yet but it's fun. I liked the new added classes but some things look bugged so far. Like I met new aliens too quickly, I think I've met sectoids, drones, thin men, floaters and chryssalids already and it's like my 3rd or 4th mission in the game. Also when I met thin men for the first time Vahlen suggested capturing them, even though I haven't even reached to part where they suggest capturing aliens. I don't know is this bugged or it's supposed to be this way. I'm playing on normal difficulty btw, and any tips welcome

Should I start XCOM 2 after this? Is it good in its current state? Or is it salvageable with mods like Long War and shit?

Also general XCOM/X-COM thread. Snek OP for attention

Other urls found in this thread:

xcom2.smods.ru/
steamworkshop.download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Performance and vanilla is utter trash, no idea about mods.
For tips, edit aircraft repair times

last time I played XCOM2 was around launch and I dropped it shortly after it because I was fed up with the bugs and issues. I'm also sort of interested if they've fixed any of them.

Xcom 2 is just Xcom 1 with a coat of paint. Alien rulers was the only interesting idea to come from it. They even managed to fuck up MECs.

Would I have to start a new game after doing that or would this affect my current saves? If it's the former I'm really early in the game anyway so not a problem. Also what's wrong with repair times?

For NU-COM 2 the DLC is mostly useless and superficial esepcially compared to EW, but if you gonna "attain" the game for free you might as well get something that got em all anyway.

IIRC the main mods look for is the "A Better Advent" series (Larger Squad,Larger Pods and general Balance rework) and the ones it require (some UI stuff like Mod settings menu in game and other behind the scenes stuff), most mods are fairly useless and primarily cosmetic, but it was ages since i last played.

If i remember shit right the NU-COM DLC it kinda "boosted" how early the ayys you mentioned show up, Snakemen will always drop for the EXALT introduction mission, Chrysalids for the Whale mission/Zhang Extraction and so on, even if the "main" chain is yet to introduce them, since those missions that are "outside" the standard progression chain, albeit i think Long War did away with that chain entirely and has the AYYs play a "game" themselves, (so if you play bad the get stronger, if you get goo, they stall fielding new units), that makes it really easy to outpace them after the initial "Sect,Snake,Chrys, Floater, Seeker" roster.

I wish someone took the time to rebuild a playable alien mod to fit the Long War class mod(3 abilities per rank).

It's also pretty shit the way the existing mod handles the skill trees, since there isn't a "vanilla" Viper at any point.

I believe it affects saves, but don't quote me on that.
Most people consider the aircraft repair times to be too punishing. If there's one thing Long War couldn't fix it was the air game, it is still absolute shit.
The nice thing about LW is that you can customize the game a lot since it exposes a lot of otherwise unmodifiable values in the .ini files. Look it up.

can you marry the snake now?
is there a mod were you play xenos and terrorize humanity?

Are you running any second wave options?

Not yet user, I thought an autist would have made a monster girl mod for XCOM2 months ago
I remember a mod that let you have alien forces in your roster, it breaks the balance of the game though

how?

Well the base AI in XCOM2 isn't all that great to begin with, so a human gets an advantage right there. Giving another advantage to the player is now they have the ability to compose a team with ayys and human soldiers like the psi operative or grenadier.

drop the hyphen if you are going to talk about nuXCom to exclusively little nigger

I only have Hidden Potential on. I always played XCOM with Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential, but I think Not Created Equal comes in with vanilla LW already

I thought they weren't even in the game to begin with. Did Shen's last gift add them?

I don't have anything to talk about X-COMs right now but you can if you want

Shen's Last Gift lets you make robot soldiers. Looking through their perks they sound like XCOM 1 MECs but without requiring a human host for the machinery, so they're basically bipedal humanoid SHIVs.

I'd rather have SHIVs, honestly.

Also apparently there was an update to bring the game to consoles, or something like that, and it introduced more bugs into the game, including one that can make your soldiers shoot the wrong target.

That'd be kinda cool if it were intentional, but Firaxis really fucked up with XCOM 2 so I doubt it is.

They have, and some cool mods did come out. I'd still recommend killing off the avatar timers or even openxcom

We all would. And yeah, a patch just came out that adds support for controllers or some shit.

Also a friendly reminder that if you're a fellow scurv you can still depend on snowniggers and such for all your modding needs.
xcom2.smods.ru/

I was going to say that the "not so long war" option might be why, but if you don't have it on it can't be that. You might have to look through the .ini to see why as LW doesn't escalate the enemies that quickly. Chryssalids don't usually get added until around the terror missions

steamworkshop.download/
Just add .zip to the end of the filename.

Xcom2 is a really double edged swords, They made lots of improvements compared to the first one, but then again they took also huge steps backwards. I personally liked XCOM enemy within the most, but i still had fun with XCOM2. I should maybe list all the improvements and step backwards. so you can decide for yourself if you want to try it out.

Improvements:

Step backwards:

I´m pretty sure that i forgot a lot of things, but this seems to sum up my opinion about XCOM2 compared to XCOM: Enemy within quite good.

Snek is the only good thing about XCom2

I would agree with this if we are talking about XCOM2 without the rulers DLC.
I don't know user, reptilian aliens with what look to be mammalian breasts are pretty alien compared to reptile biology on Earth :^)

In long war all the alien types have different varients with their own perks and stats. Like for example, the Sidewinder typically gets a massive aim boost and Lightning reflexes unlike the default thin men. Point is the vanilla ayys will typically be put away later in the game for the LW ayys.

Character customization is cool though.

that would be nice, if the bug affected the ayyliums

im surprised they didnt add microtransactions and a way to sell/buy skin/weapons in steam

muh nigger