SimplePlanes General

mega.nz/#!TMlwkD4Z!tmHSMENeyLrmFhEZo1LOI4DEKGfcdZ3eTeSW4amXQ58

simpleplanes.com/Mods/View/490117/SimplePlanes-Multiplayer

71.89.184.239 is online most of the time.
Activate air-to-air targeting to see others.

Other urls found in this thread:

simpleplanes.com/Mods/View/530008/Cockpits
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47818-basic-aircraft-design-explained-simply-with-pictures/
imodeler.com/2013/12/what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-old-hood-orniments-with-50s-aircraft-technology/
archive.is/uAywJ
mega.nz/#!AdN3CLQY!f61U8ZJ3ts00OEY18MpnPfKfhudgF6OCewe9RJx2VAM
mediafire.com/file/ay56rtjqjo8cyaf/Fortress_model.zip
puu.sh/svU8l/f711b7c69e.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Come on, thread, if you stop dying, I will make Bf 109

I will bump this. No guarantee of screens though. I've been playing this other autistic vehicle sandbox called Zerahypt.

Bump

Check it out - a tiltrotor! No idea how I'm supposed to land it, though. Well, I can land it as plane, but what fun is it. Or is it how tiltrotors are supposed to work?

Oh, by the way, I greatly improved it maneuverability by turning it into tiltwing. Still no idea how to control it at low speeds - I REALLY don't want to add VTOL nozzles.

I'm glad that clumsy user with the funny filenames spawned this general

I also learned how to control the roll of tiltrotor while hovering, through the propeller blade pitch. Unfortunately, this thing is extremely unstable when hovering - I can take off vertically with ease, because all it takes is to gain altitude without crashing, but vertical landing would be a mess.

Why this thread is dying now?

Here's footage of the V-22 Osprey tiltrotor doing vertical landing and take off practice. Maybe try practicing that.

Also note the Osprey has TWO vertical tail fins not one like your pictured aircraft.

Because it was fueled by anger, frustration and laughs over a bunch of anons trying to gloriously fly their "Icarus like" wacky flying machines.

All good things must end, better if they end while they still are good.

The problem is that the whole thing is extremely unstable. I can't keep it hovering in the air straight. Pitch control through tilting of rotors is extremely finicky, roll is not that important at this stage, but it makes it hard to fly at high speeds, because it prevents me from controlling the blade pitch, which causes engines to overspeed and blow up, and yaw can't be controlled at all because the game doesn't seems to simulate torque from propellers. I can use VTOL nozzles, or put small props on the nose like the OP of first thread, but what fun it is? Besides, I don't know much about aircraft, but I think that real helicopters and VTOL aircraft have some kind of stabilization system that is not present in the game - I have same amount of trouble trying to hover in a default VTOL plane. I also had similar problems with helicopters in Besiege, but it also simulates torque properly, and it also has balloons, which allowed me just to switch to building airships. I wish there was helium in this game. Hell, I would agree even on hydrogen.
I've added it already on my tiltwing prototype, but this is largely irrelevant, because aerodynamic surfaces do not matter at all when you are hovering (that's why VTOL aircraft uses jet nozzles for control). Besides, it uses two tailfins in real life so that the air from rotors would hit them, and I don't think the game simulates anything like this.

Tell me about me your baby, Holla Forums. What's your very own plane that you just love to fly, and what makes it special?

This is mine. It doesn't have the tightest turning radius, but it's zippy and compact and lots of fun to fly around at low altitude. Plus, it has a cool silhouette.

Thanks a lot for the download mate, I feel like I'm having some fun with this

Simple planes crushed the simple dreams of many anons is why.

Inspired by the other anons experimental nazi plane, as well as pic related.

It's pretty stable for being built the way it is. I have really thin fuselage blocks holding the front and back of the plane together.

Direct hit!

noice torpeedo

The yaw could be controlled with flaps and thrust. With your flaps in position 1 you could turn left while going up. Position two means going right while going up. It would be extremely slow, but it could work. You could also try tiny thrusters, though that could be cheating.
Maybe add another rotator to the ones you already have, and have it react only to your direct yaw input using the VTOL controls. When you go into horizontal mode you should lock those though.

4u

That's not a very big plane.

I wonder if gliders work

They do

you can stuff bombs in said torpedo without messing it's looks
How did you not drown it at that speed?

Very interesting, that's a design I've never seen before. Any reason you went for a single rotating fuselage piece instead of the proper two props, though? I know this was necessary on the ramjet coleopter due to that requiring inclined wings with jets on the ends, but are props not allowed to be mounted at anything other than the ends of fuselages? Could you possibly connect two fuselages together with clipped pieces and a careful fit propeller to propeller to trick the system?

There is actually a race where you need to build a glider.

The problem is that yaw control should needs to
This one actually works. But this doesn't solves the critical issue of stability, so I will have to wait until they add gyroscope or something in the game.

Is there some way to toggle control surfaces?
I'm making a plane that has a rotating cockpit, but I can't figure out the control surfaces.
(It's extremely fucking stable for being completely uncontrollable)

There's a buoyancy option for fuselages.

What the shit, are you Kurt Tank himself? How do you set free spin rotators to spin without perpendicular thrust on them?

No. Your only hope of doing so is to blot out the control surfaces, presumably by jamming a flat fuselage block that extends via piston towards the control surface.

I'm aware of that, my only issue is that torpedoes tend to drown and deviate away from it's course when dropped at high alts/speed, though parachutes helped to solve this easily.

INLINE COCKPITS
simpleplanes.com/Mods/View/530008/Cockpits

You're doing something wrong, very wrong. With proper buoyancy and weight balance nothing should drown itself. I bet you could get a nigger to float with enough trial and error.

My first plane. It's pretty stable now, not perfect, but I love coming back at it every few days to improve it.

Has anyone attempted the Goblin?

Read my post again, shit floats well and doesn't drown unless violently dropped, in which it sways off from it's course.

Not sure what to use as engine.

This is my first plane, the T-81-CC. It had some weight distribution problems.

The issues were resolved quickly, and I got it to fly.

It flew quite well actually, other than an inclination downward when no correction is made.

Some tips: don't use blocks, use fuselage pieces. Put bigger wings on it. Your landing gear is whack, you only need 3 points geometry, dude, also there are landing gear that you can put directly on wings.

I discovered the weapons list so I put some weapons on it, and tried to see whether the carrier had any deterrents. She received no mercy.

Thanks for the tip m9.

Nobody replied to this post yet I think it's fucking cool. Plus it seems to fly very well. So for now, my baby is the plane I posted a few hours ago, will put a video during the week if the thread still lives.

If you want to aim at something properly, go in cockpit view. Also, right click for mouse joystick, you'll be able to control your plane much more smoothly.

I did it with a single fuselage (correct me if I'm wrong here) because the two rotors on the real concept existed as additional thrust/to counteract the rotation and rolling caused by one another.

You could connect two fuselages together and stick a propeller in and it would work just fine, I see planes use a system like that with nose-cones all of the time on the simpleplanes community. I have no idea how you would go about doing that though.

Weight/Buoyancy ratio, took me about 15 minutes to tweak that torpedo properly so that it wouldn't flip one way or another in the water.

Looks pretty nice, but what's with the three wings on each side of the plane? I know that you're using the front fins like a canary plane to give you a better lifting rate/elevators, but couldn't the same effect be achieved by moving up and widening your main wings?

I have, but I can't get the weight distribution figured out. It either turns to slow or goes into a spin.

That and the multiplayer server and client are clunky since it's through a mod.

Is there a way to make wings more rigid; the flexing that happens during turns makes it hard to create super agile forward swept planes.

Layer your wings vertically and stick structural wings next to them.

I want to build a plane. A damn retardedly perfect one too. Any tips before the download finishes?

Study the default planes, look at proportions of real life planes, and read this:
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47818-basic-aircraft-design-explained-simply-with-pictures/

Take a look at the stock planes, they use a lot of good design tricks. The Pigpen and Hellkeska are particularly educational.

Check the lift/thrust/mass indicators constantly. Generally your lift axis should be slightly behind your CoM, while your thrust axis should be more or less exactly in line with it. Backflips on takeoff are a sign that either your lift axis is too far forward or your thrust axis is too low. Random swerving (or front-flips in the case of a seaplane) are usually a sign of the opposite conditions.

If your design looks retarded, it probably is retarded. This isn't KSP, if your plane has shit aerodynamics then it'll be slow and inefficient no matter how many engines you pile on.

Shift+W/A/S/D/Q/E is your best friend. It bypasses all the attachment restrictions on things like engines and fuselages, and more importantly it allows you to embed shit into other parts.

Make sure to use a joystick or gamepad. Even the mouse joystick is much easier and more efficient than keyboard controls.

Aw shit how did I not know that was a thing. I'm gonna get addicted all over again. I have to say though:
I find this game to be rather forgiving of retardation. I've made any number of stupid things fly better than they should.

I don't know shit about planes m8, I'll try it then. I added these because there is so much weight on the back (the jetliner engines you guessed) it had trouble tilting on the X axis. But the desing was important to me, I wanted to find out if I could make a viable jet fighter without copying any existing models.

Also, for now it only goes around 1200mph max, what are the ways to make it faster without adding engines?

decreasing fuel, making it more aerodynamic, or modding the engines

Increase your altitude. At 20,000 feet most jets can reach almost double their sea-level top speeds.

Can someone please post the disk helicopter that flipped over and exploded?

I know it's been dun befo, but I'm also going to build G4M bomber to go with it.

I've pretty much given up on improving it, but I'm still happy enough to post it again.

Thanks a ton, user. Really gotta save this, but webms don't seem to work after I download them.

Does anyone have more funny crashes to post?

Leave the crashes to streamers and letsplayers, we are actually learning how to make planes that fly well.

help

imodeler.com/2013/12/what-do-you-get-when-you-cross-old-hood-orniments-with-50s-aircraft-technology/

Accidentally found this few images but I can't wait to try all of these to see if they work.

So, in the last episode my first aircraft was mercilessly butchered by unmarked destroyers.
Naturally, she had to be avenged.

My first few attempts at getting something that was up to the task had a few problems.

I hadn't discovered the mirror button yet, so my main wings had only one control surface.

boom

So I'm trying to build a delta wing plane but I can't get the game to let me view my center of lift and center of mass, and I can't seem to figure out how to place the wings to not make my plane loop to death on takeoff. How do I view them, and where do I want my center of lift compared to center of mass?

press space you negroid
also there is literaly in game tutorial that explains it

Even though I really need to go and make G4M2 or F-86, instead I am being a lazy shit giving some cosmetic overhauls to some of my older planes. For example, I installed a working bomb bay onto a TB-3 (which was pretty easy, considering how boxy it was). Also, I really like how that MiG-17 came out. It is also really fun to fly, even though I downgraded an engine on it.

Well I beat you to the punch. The first one I made (Based off a Chevy Belair far as I can tell) is probably the nicest flying plane I've ever made. The second (based off a 54 ford) is really twitchy but does hit supersonic or there abouts. The last one I made was based off an Oldsmobile and is just a disappointment. It either flips or is too god damn front heavy.

Forgot to include the last one.

To be fair, they have somewhat better Mustang in game files, as aiOpponentWw2. At least it actually looks like one.

Anyone have any idea why my ID keeps changing? I made a few posts as a3d9d9 but now I have this. It happened a couple of times on Holla Forums too.

laddie, try xml modding and the fine tuner mod, you'll have more liberties on recreating historical plons

That's not even funny to remotely think about, user. One of the biggest highlights of the original thread was anons making so many fucking ridiculously Icarus like ideas for flying that symbolically crashed and burned.

This game is called SimplePlanes, and so I will keep my planes simple, goddamit!

Really like your landing gear solution, I'm absolutely stealing that. I didn't restrict the rotation at first and chopped my wings off. Live and learn.

I want to try to tow one up to altitude now.

is this kerbal plane program

its beautiful

Make it happen, faggots.

I did something better

And on a more serious note.

How the hell does that thing even work?

FAST

But I'm sure others have gone faster. Post your fastest

I have several designs that can get into the same general range. Pic related is my personal best.

How do I set up suspension for offroad vehicles? Do I need softness and damper low or high, or what?

I actually made another German plane.

I guess I won.

I won.

bump

Faster.

Nice clouds at that height

Now try making something that flies well at low speeds.

i have a plane with the exact same issue except it corrects itself past ~150mph

archive.is/uAywJ

Original thread if anyone wants to see how this became a recurring thread and get a shit ton of laughs out of it.

yeah, most often its thrust issue. making small single engine planes is suffering.

Crap, when i try to download off of MEGA it got to 67% but then it says i have used up the available download amount or whatever and that i should create an account.

Try torrenting it off the Kickass

MIG-17 not THICC enough

I swear to god, this is the last time I'm making a modern plane.

Looks really good, does it flies good as well?

I made a rough XFA-33 here but I really need to understand how to make them not fly like shit, even though I followed the tutorials, my planes have a fucking hard time being manoeuvrable, mostly when I need to roll

Why are your wings hinged? And how much have you tweaked your control surfaces? Assuming a decent speed roll surfaces at the end of those primaries should be plenty.

Why does your plane have no control surfaces?
Why does it have a dick?

The control surfaces are actually in front of the wings
The main wings aren't hinged, only the front and back ones are.
The dick is supposed to send microwave burst that burn the enemy's fuel tank

I did not invent this plane, it's from Ace Combat X guys, and the third reactor is a VTOL.

Actually it flies better than I thought it would but it's way too far from the stock models

I'll try to .webm, this wait

It flies good, but unfortunately the engines are too weak so it is way too slow compared to the real counterpart.

How did you make the middle section rotate around itself? I am aware that there are rotators, but those can't be told to spin indefinately, or so I believe.Did you set something up, so that it automatically spins backwards and the wings rotate around to accomodate for that, or are you using a different part? How did you get them to rotate at that speed?

bump

You guys won't believe how much time it took me, but I finally finished making motherfucking B-17.

I can see it getting cucked by a black African B52

Holy shit, Simple Planes rule34 here we come

Actually, it was used by Ethiopia.
Well, some guy made a penis plane in one of the early threads and flew it into vagina. And then there's ratbat

You've inspired me to try and make one for real. It's real rough but at least it files.

What have I done

Is there any reason why you guys aren't linking to version 1.5.3.3? I don't know what it changes but IGG has it listed on mega: mega.nz/#!AdN3CLQY!f61U8ZJ3ts00OEY18MpnPfKfhudgF6OCewe9RJx2VAM

password: igg-games.com

I can't find any changelogs for versions past 1.5.3

I need webms of this user.

pls no bully on the quality, I'm on a toaster and also have no idea what I'm doing in general
Also, I inadvertently discovered while making this webm that because drag causes the wings to flutter and the fluttering wings make thrust, the plane is recoverable from fully under water, although it's tough to aim. I'll record that next.

That's pretty fucked. Also pretty cool.
I'm working on something big at the moment, it'll take a while as I've only got the bombs complete right now, and even they're subject to change.

I'm surprised no one tried to make the biggest flying cock and balls "aircraft."

are you trying to make the bomber from webm related?

could you?

I might be. Maybe.

Why the fuck my ailerons work like shit? Elevators are more or less okay, but ailerons are barely able to roll the plane. I tried putting actual control surfaces on wings, they work fine. But this shit is not working, regardless of size.

Getting the fuselage shape is rather difficult, but it's getting there.

I'll be surprised if I can even get this fucking thing off the ground.
sage for doublepost

Check your shit user, is it a structural wing or panel.
Latter generates no lift, former does.

You can always flight test it in the air before worrying about making it take off

It's done fam.
Flies well too.

Looks pretty good, webm of bombs being dropped pls.

Soon as I get some decent footage.

Of course it's a wing.

What an ugly word. Why can't they just call it "vatia" instead? It sounds pretty.

Okay, I fixed it, it works perfectly.

I present to you - a plane with working turret! Not only that, but the turret even has mouse aim!

Your B-17 is so bad I had no choice but to actually make my own. And I will put turrets on it too!

i'm genuinely impressed. give us some webms famalamadingdong

I fucking did it. Four turrets, each with mouselook.

I decided to make a transport plane for a change.

That's a big plane.

And I successfully delivered my truck to the Bandit Airport.

I'm new to this, does anyone have any helpful building tips?

I decided that I don't want to hang around with filthy Japs, and returned to Yeager. I'm not sure what this AI bomber is trying to achieve. I guess I better add some landing gear on it.

Complete tutorial.
Read forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47818-basic-aircraft-design-explained-simply-with-pictures/
Do not use blocks, make your plane out of fuselage pieces.

How do you make a plane with a mouseaim turret?

I assume he set the rotation of the turret to rolling and pitching, and switched his actual rolling and pitching to VTOL and yaw, so that he could right-click and switch to mouse control to control the turrets without fucking up his steering.

see

Nah, I use activation groups to disable plane controls and enable turret controls (hence the hinges/rotators instead of actual control surfaces). Unfortunately, I can't use VTOL on B-17 because it is used for landing gear. But I do have trimmers that allow me to keep the plane level even when I use turret.

mediafire.com/file/ay56rtjqjo8cyaf/Fortress_model.zip
Here's the plane for anyone that wants to try it. The framerate tanks like shit whenever I bomb something, so I think it'd be best to try it out for yourself. Also the thing I was using for recording fucked up so I have to fix that.
1, 3, 4 and 5 action groups will drop bombs 1 through 4, and 2 will separate the bombs even further, however it will act on all of them because I couldn't be bothered going through and setting all the action groups.

Oh, and VTOL controls will control the rotation of the turrets. After watching the sequel to "Fortress" I noticed that there are actually two turrets beneath the plane as well, so I'll work on adding those.

i had no idea there was a sequel and just watched it. frankly i thought it kinda sucked; i loved the insanely heavy metal atmosphere of the first one

ever since watching Terminator as a kid my honest to god greatest fear has been a war fought entirely by machines with no input from man

bump

anyone got the turbokat webm?

What the fuck is wrong with this thing? After taking off, it becomes a helicopter blade and goes into fatal spin. I originally blamed it on the lack of vertical stabilizer, but adding it makes things even worse.

Whoops

Why does this retarded thing fly so well?

You crammed 6 jet engines on it. With enough trust, you can make a brick fly.

.t nasa shuttle engineer

I still don't understand what were they thinking with shuttle.

It worked with three before I went wide.

help!

Get rid of the hud and you could probably sell that as a painting for millions.

Wow this looks pretty gud, I think I'll have a go at this.
It'll have to wait a little while until I get some of my assignment done though.

It's good to ride through the tutorial at first instead of skipping, it's actually useful.

KEK what the fuck is that thing?

here
Fuck mayne this game is great, how come I never
heard of it before?
Anyone got any cool planes to share? Mine are still shitboxes.

Turns out you're right, that particular WIDE model likes to nosedive without thrust, could potentially defy the gods with weight balancing. The three engine (three for takeoff and two for cruising) model had its center of fat further back.

A mistake mankind should not have given birth to. It likes to tumble like a gymnast. Here's one, think I need to attempt to remake my Betty from fuselage parts now that I have a better grasp. She's just too fat and unbalanced.

Not mine but this one is great.

Damn that ass is fat, I'm pretty impressed at how you launched the smaller jet fighter with it though.
That was sweet.

Hang on isn't that the NSDAPs attempt at a helicopter?
Sweet.

Either of you lads able to recommend a cheap but non deadzoned flightstick? Preferably in yuropoor land.

Saitek makes some reasonable and fairly decent sticks. You should maybe go to a shop that has display models to get a feel. My main issue with mine is the base is pretty light and I'm not so hot on the throttle placement.

No, that was the Drache, along with a couple other designs. The webm plane is a primitive attempt at making a Focke-Wulf Triebflugel, which is a tailsitter propelled by wingtip ramjets, which- because the wings and engines are inclined- cause the wings to spin as one gigantic propeller. The virtue of this is that it's a VTOL which essentially requires no runway, no airfield, just enough space to hover down and land. The problem with this is that the pilot has to land the plane ass first and is sitting in front of a gigantic wing-sized propeller group, nevermind the potential constructional/material problems in keeping the whole thing together. There was another, better attempt that was more or less perfectly on model, which I'm sure some user has the webm of, though I don't.

I'll give it a look in
Cheers.

Oh fair enough seems interesting.
No idea how the fuck you made that though.

Second ever plane design. Features a rotating bomb rack. Design inspired by UAV's

r8 m8s

Guess what, I just bought the game. I will try to upload all my planes later.

That looks fucking awesome. Hows it fly?

the size of the control surfaces?

With the bombs attached it's pretty sluggish to climb and take off but once you drop your payload it actually flies pretty well.

Noice, quick question then:
A) How do you install planes you've downloaded for this game?
B) Would you give me your plane to fuck around with?
Also nice dubs.

I'm not sure entirely how but I'm guessing you stick the file inside this rar puu.sh/svU8l/f711b7c69e.rar
into your appdata/Jundroo/AircraftDesigns folder and load it from the builder.

Be careful when flying it. when you're not climbing it dips down. It's also really slow to climb.

To use the bombs. move the slider to the left all the way down. then press 1 on your keyboard to activate bomb 1 and press ALT to drop it. move the slider to the next white arrow. press 2. drop. and repeat all the way to 4

Try to improve it's weight or aerodynamics to make it climb faster and not dip if you can. I'm far from an aerodynamics engineer

Cheers mate, though if I fuck with it I'm certain that it will become utterly unflyable.

nigger use fuselage blocks and go into their options to fill them with fuel and change their shape.
Fucking neat plane though. Looks rad.

now that's kamikaze

It'a real thing.

bump

For shame, user

Nope. Tried making them bigger, smaller - no result. In fact, making them smaller makes the plane spin out of control right on the tarmac.

Check your drag profile

Also, try vert stabilizers on the wingtips instead of the fuselage

Well, that did it. It looks even less like original plane now, it is still wobbly as fuck, but at least it doesn't spins out of control, and it's agile as fuck. Still, it's not that fun to fly.

I didn't recognize the plane you were going for. According to wikipedia, the plane used spoilers for yaw control, which aren't implemented in the game, but other flying wings used split ailerons.
If you're up for trying something really crazy, you could add a pair of yaw controls, one inverted, to each wing, and use trim control to set them for a slight drag before takeoff, and do away with the vert stabilizers that way.

Finally, I made F-86.

I wasn't really bothered by the lack of yaw controls. Problem is that the plane is just too unstable without vertical stabilizers.

I didn't mean adding them to use them as a rudder, I mean using split ailerons in place of a vertical stabilizer, and mapping them to yaw control so that you can set the trim without interfering with your pitch and roll controls.
I'm experimenting with it now myself, I've always been interested in getting tailless planes to work properly in SP. I've gotten as far as stability up to the point of takeoff, but it still spins out in the air, albeit much slower than the typical tailless flat spin.

bump

bump