Things in Vidya That Never Work

Every fucking time

Other urls found in this thread:

wildebeestgames.com/vertigo.htm
store.steampowered.com/app/282880/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does any game do item crafting worse than Dragon Quest's alchemy pot?

Minecraft

I don't see a problem with this unless your character has limited/non-enhanced mobility.

Honestly how would you fix alchemy so it isn't just running around grabbing anything that isn't nailed down to brew into a potion of 1% damage resist against poison?

My idea would be to just make alchemy consume ingredients and produce in much larger quantities. It would make gathering the ingredients less tedious and would leave you with more potions which you can stockpile and use for a long time without having to worry about brewing more all the time. Of course it would also be great to only have actually useful potions be the only ones you can make.

Maybe introduce the concept a sacrifice to it. Temporary decreased HP/MP in exchange of making stronger potions, investing experience/levels into it, adding souls/blood of fallen enemies to the ingredient list with the option to use your soul/blood giving you decreased stats for x amount of time to increase another stat. Sounds good to me in writing but I don't know how this could be properly implemented without it being easily exploited.

problem is most games treat alchemy like a fucking Free to play gatcha game.

You want the rare costume? Just get combine these 3 rare items.
You want those 3 rare items, just combine the magic cone with very specific amounts of rare fleece.
You can only get rare fleece from farming hundreds of rare sheep, though.

What shooters have good platforming?

Shit/10

Montezuma's Return was the tightest shit

Turok

Quake/Half-Life
Millenials complain about this all day, but both games share the same engine and have basically perfected movement in FPS.

I would not call it good but of the top of my head
Nu Doot
Crysis had certain verticallity in certain levels
Tooter Fall 2

Then you have most arena shooters that emphasize on mobility and projectiles.

Op raises a very valid point. Why even have alchemy in a game? You literally[triggered] have to stop yourself from moving and go into a menu or stop your progress in the game to go to a place so you can mix and match stupid shit that hardly ever makes a difference. It's BORING!!! Do you know why CoD is so famous? It's because you could get in the game and PLAY almost instantly and you would get very little interruptions. I mean it's way different than having to stop and think of a strategy. It's having to stop and go through a lot of work for almost no advantage!
DEBATE ME!

Noticably, both games are pre-consolization titles.

Pick one then shit post about the other

Having never played any of the Atelier games, I’m still going to say you’re wrong.

But again, you know…

In Arx Fatalis you need to use a stake on a lich otherwise it comes back to life.

I really enjoy the platforming in Mirror's Edge. Too bad the shooting isn't that good.

I mean it in terms of freeform randomly generated/encounter liches

You see, all Lich Phylactery quests is all pre-generated stuff that is made by the devs purposely.

No one in vidya has actually made this core mechanic of Liches into a redoable system.

In the idea of a TESIV mod you'd have a script to scan for monsters under the Lich slot under undead, then it would scan containers, and pick an object of certain value in the dungeon to be the phylactery by attaching a script to it, said item would then make the Lich a non respawnable instance and record it, and have it spawn after 3 days on the Item's location, whether it be on your person or not.

There's more ways to elaborate on the procedural process of how this would work, but the best way to describe it is thus:

All Liches we see in vidya are static Liches that are monster fodder or quest related or centric to some sort of storyline that die and have no bearing on the game after their combat and defeat is done, unless they ere statically made to have the likes of phylactery in place.

Dynamic Liches means that any Lich that is spawned randomly generated then spawned, has the potential to act out as a unique enemy that should be feared and dealt with.

We need more games with water controls like Ecco or the Frog Suit in Mario 3. Launching yourself out of the water in the former games was fun as fuck. Also real nice of the Mario devs to make a genuine improvement to the controls take the form of a powerup instead of just making them the default controls - then dropping said powerup in future games and never using them again.

Arx Fatalis liches were the stuff of nightmares. God help you if you didn't discover the secret rune words.

Shout out to Baldur's Gate for having liches that literally teleport your characters to another plane of existence.

Aquaria has quite a bit of that.

I always end up with a surplus of ammo, food, and water that it makes the entire mechanic pointless after a while.

Oh god, the things you could do with such a thing.

OR

I think I just came. Hard.>>11186652

I played that game for the alchemy.

Games never do crafting right. Why is it that web novels about made-up virtual reality MMO games do it better?

For instance, say weapons are EXPENSIVE, but you have the ability to craft your own. In most games, it's just "collect arbitrary bullshit and pray to RNGsus that the synthesis works" or "collect bullshit amounts of resources to make garbage".
In the VRMMO stories, it's "you use a sensible amount of resources, but what you make will be low quality until you've either studied and practiced, or experimented and practiced your ass off". Those stories fuck off with power creep and linear leveling, though, where characters become level 1000 demigods with no skill caps.

What's even better is that the system would allow for even more fun because If you have the Phylactery, you can pretty much Blackmail the Lich and actually establish contact with whatever persuasion skills the game allows and the like.

The biggest problem with TESIV is that the Liches didn't have any fear spells (Even if they did they wouldn't work on you as the PC) and that the reanimate spell wasn't distributed to NPCS like Skyrim did, which sucks, but Skyrim is shit and you don't have the versatility to properly tailor the monster mods to achieve similar effects.

Well to be fair Morrowind did it rather well. It gave you a ton of options of different combos and choices that could create anything you wanted. It was also broken as hell but that is what made it so fun. Alchemy in Morrowind was so powerful and such an involved process that it was pretty much its own mini game. I feel that if a game includes alchemy they must go all in and make very strong, or a central focus. If it is treated as a shallow gimmick it will just leave players unsatisfied like here:

At best, it's just another set of clocks to pace your dungeon crawling. At worst, food and water are rarer than plutonium and force your character to fight manticores since they might (might!) drop a hunk of cheese.

I'd really like to see nutrition as a component of stat growth and HP/MP regeneration. If your character is hasn't eaten for three days, he should suffer various penalties, and good food should confer bonuses to character development.

No, Dungeon Meshi didn't give me this idea. I've wanted this ever since playing Dark Cloud.

Here allot games with alchemy. Not only Skyrim.

EVERY TIME

alchemy in that game was one of the best i've seen, it was actually fun and useful

it's always pointless

Morality Systems
They are either bullshit judgy "You must read the Dev;s Mind and follow their code of Morals to be considered good" or are ham-fisted Black/White crap sacks.

The same goes for games that are pure "Morality" forced gaming, where if you do not play it one way and only one way you fail, (And I know I'm going to catch hell for this one) like Undertale.

IT IS LITERALLY
FUCKING
MAGICAL
CHEMISTRY
IT SHOULD BE THE MOST AUTISTIC THING IN EXISTENCE

Interruptions like scripted segments limiting your movement, having to stop every 2 seconds to have someone open a door for you or mandatory QTEs? I like COD but what you just said is retarded.

Fuck you, Darkness II. Your guns are so fun to shoot, but fuck man.

Morrowind's crafting systems were shit, it's just that they let you do whatever the fuck you felt like with them without any artificial limitations, which is it's own kind of fun, in a more meta sense

What is it like to be a fucking retard?

Which is the actual problem with alchemy systems in games. The game would have to be built expressly and intentionally around alchemy or it would end up completely unbalancing the entire game.

Fucking morrowind

So?
Having to practice the ancient arts of autism to do anything worthwhile is balance enough

EVERY GAME.

Climbing
You have your games where walls have ledges and you jump your way up
You have your games where you can grab the wall like an omnidirectional ladder
You have your games where you can walk up steep slopes with the right skill
You have your games where you mash QTEs to climb
But you never have a game that plays like rock climbing in real life. Actually grabbing onto ledges and shifting your weight properly. The rise of VR might help this at least.

Grow Home?

wildebeestgames.com/vertigo.htm

I like the climbing in Wurm where you fall off the cliff if you run out of energy halfway through

shows what you know dork

The primary problem with alchemy/chems, or, really, any other kind of crafting is that it is mostly pointless. Why waste time on crafting when the game drowns you in money and craftable items, so that by mid game you are swimming in stuff?

One game I recall doing it right was the first Witcher game. Potions were actually useful and lasted long enough to justify investing time in crafting them, and you also couldn't get your hands on them any other way.

And to expand on this, why does every game fuck up the economy? It's been close to 50 years of games getting made yet few, if any, actually manage to implement an economic model that would fit the environment the game takes place in. Why is it so hard to make a functional economy that doesn't end up with the player swimming in money?

It would be pretty neat to have a SS13 style chemistry and liquid container system except the player obviously doesn't have a chem dispenser and instead has to figure out what properties each item has, sort of like TES's system of each plant having 4 traits except you have to discover the proper ratios of each to make potions instead of clicking on the mortar and pestle.

or

I mean for single-player purposes.

The really fucked up thing is that the only shotgun I was ever happy to use in a games was the Brutal Doom one.

Powerful, satisfying to use and useful both at close and long range.

What the hell are you talking about? No where in my posts did I say that CoD is only successful because of the campaign. The person I replied to said that CoD had no interruptions and I provided examples of the campaigns. Seems like the only one here being retarded is you because you can't into reading comprehension.

That's basically ghetto chem, if you don't read a wiki which lists what every plant contains thanks to the fucking open source codebases
Would be a lot better without the sci-fi theme though

Though, ss13's chemistry doesn't really cover everything, it doesn't handle solids for example, you have to grind down your plasma into a liquid to use it as a catalyst

Played E.Y.E? That shotgun was bretty gud

Anything you have to pay for.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy has a neat shotgun that works well at range and has a 32-shot drum mag. It falls kinda flat against heavily armoured enemies but works amazingly for everything else. If you haven't played it it's worth a shot.

What games have overpowered shotguns?

Splatoon.

I thought I was the only one.
Though for me it's gotta be the Project Brutality shotgun. THAT is satisfying to use.

I'll have to try it out. Any other games that treat shotguns like actual shotguns?

Also, I just remembered that Spec Ops had a great AA-12 firing slug rounds. That was the most fun gun to use, pity it was so rare.

I don't remember a nuclear weapon, where would I find it? Agreed the guns had some nice bass to them, the arms where better though.

Doom
Doom 2
FEAR

To be honest, I don't play many FPS games but these came to mind immediately.

Killing Floor has a class dedicated to shotguns, and they all feel good. You get a mag-fed one for general purpose use, a double barreled hunting shotgun which lets you fire one or both barrels for big enemies and an AA12 if you want to go crazy. There's a few more as well, and they all act completely different. Get KF1 though. 2 isn't worth it for now.

Also if you want more Doom mods with them get Demonsteele. It's got a sawn-off one-handed shotty that lets you jump with the recoil.

I was just replying to what that user said. It's not all that much better than the other weapons you get in that level, but it doesn't take long before you don't want it anymore. As soon as the enemies get armor, it turns to shit. You're better off with an automatic, since you'll rarely one-shot enemies with the shotgun, and two shots is too slow. I sorta feel like the arms would be more fun on console. The way it locks your view when you swing feels really bad with a mouse.

Dark Cloud

Is the multiplayer community still active?

Honestly even one with Skyrim wasn't too bad. Problem was it was absolutely useless and not worth learning. Literally only useful thing to do with it was buying out entire herb shop, making potions and selling for profit.

How would I fix it?
Just make it useful. Witcher had decent alchemy but what made it great was fact you actually needed potions.

How to fix ingredients?
Make it so buying ingredients from shops is valid option. Essentially make it so you can buy potions for high price or learn alchemy to unlock more potent options for cheaper.

pic unrelated to fixing alchemy.

Check out Ehrgeiz' Quest mode if you want nutrient-based stat gain.

Trailblazer's Fleshrend shotgun is OP as fuck (especially if you upgrade it) but it manages to feel satisfying instead of cheap.

I played it pretty soon after Dark Cloud, and it's very close to what I wanted.

Now that I think of it, Elona+ has a pretty robust food system, which makes cooking, fishing, and farming overpowered in the long run. Too bad it requires basically as much grinding/tedium as being an actual IRL farmer.

You first need to fix the economy. There's little point in bothering with any sort of crafting if you're swimming in items and money. Like you said, alchemy in Witcher has a clear purpose, and tangible benefits that facilitate other aspects of the game.

Or make ingredients rare, or do what W1 did and have each item correspond to a specific "element" shared across multiple ingredients, make some parts of the recipe rare and hard to obtain, or impossible to obtain without buying them for a steep price.

Another big issue is itemization in games, and especially RPGs, where you end up with shitloads of "magical" weapons that don't differ from each other all that much. I'm still looking for a fantasy RPG where magical weapons are both extremely rare and extremely unique in their properties and functionality.

Haven't played it in years, so I can't say. Since a lot of people are disappointed with KF2 I wouldn't be surprised if the original still had a big community.
When I played I could get a low ping server just fine from Bongland, so if you're in the US it might be easier.

You generally can just forget about making anything not only useful when game gives you just too much money.
I am looking at you Skyrim, and your 3 skills to train per level. It is not like they would make perfect money sink.

But when economy is right you pretty much only need system of alchemy that already was made multiple times to make it enjoyable, aka Witcher/TES ones.

It is one problem that I started accepting because I lost all hope for it being fixed.

Battlefield 3 did shotguns alright. This is something that frustrates me to no end as well though. Even moreso, I hate the people who defend the mechanic as if it makes the game better.

I can't even comprehend the amount of stupidity required to actually be salty that someone is able to one shot you with 00 buckshot at 30m away. You are literally firing 8 .30cal projectiles at once, in a tight pattern depending on the choke and powder load. It's the rough equivalent of getting shot by 8 .223Rem at once. Slugs carry even more energy, an even longer distance.

Assault rifles seem to be the king in FPS games for no reason. They're med to long range weapons. Sub machine guns and shotguns should be phenomenal at close range and have steep dropoffs in damage at longer ranges depending on the projectile used.

I would say that when using a shogun, anything in 30m should get full damage. After that, it should drop off unless you're using slugs, which are lethal out to like a kilometer, albeit not actually carrying full energy at that point. For slugs, I'd say anything within 200m should be fucked. You're shooting something that's over 400gr. If a 55gr 5.56 round will kill in 4 shots at 200m, a slug should do the job no problem.

I like Witcher's "chemistry", simplistic as it was, where every ingredient had a certain additional element you could utilize to further tweak potions, or how the Primer mod for W3.

I wish a game combined this with a fully implemented table of elements feature and let you come up with all manner of crazy concoctions, from bombs, to curatives, to stimulants, or if the player wants to be an assassin, poisons.

Problem is that the immersive sim, and its focus on universal mechanics, is not in vogue anymore. Nobody wants to make an Ultima Underworld styled dungeon simulator, and I'd kill for a game with the Arx Fatalis cooking mechanic.

I really don't understand. How is making a dozen unique weapons more difficult than shitting out hundreds of "magical" ones, with descriptions, stats and models, that only feature some damage and elemental modifiers?

I hate how most games pretend slugs don't exist. Slugs are my personal fetish yet FPS that have them are as rare as diamonds.

Have you played Gothic? 1 and 2 specifically. Magic weapons and magic in general is rare, and users of magic are treated like they should be. That is, like powerful human beings you shouldn't mess with. Mage playthrough of Gothic 2 is fucking amazing because of that.

Even more rare are the games that impliment them properly.

no

t an argument

I remember starting a playthrough of Gothic 1 a few years back but IRL stuff got in the way and I had to drop it. I loved what I played and I'll make an effort to finish both, thought there seems to be an open source Gothic engine project going on, so I might want to wait for that to complete.

At this point I really just want them to do one thing well, I can wait another decade or two for them to come around and do the other thing too.

Age of Decadence
Wizardry 8
kys :)

why supply an argument for why its bad when the other guy didn't even supply an argument for why its good?

I've never seen a game was a satisfying food bar.

Deadcore is built around it.

Well, if you say Borderlands 2, the Hyperion shotguns are the best, they are decently powerful, have good range, and make a satisfying "CHOOM-CHOOM" sound when hsot

what is this meme? that thing has piss range and armor makes it a joke. plus everyone starts with armor anyways!

Every time.

Too many games do this shit. The final boss should be the ultimate challenge of the skills you've developed for your character and yourself personally, changing the gameplay completely kills the climax.

Minecraft makes you eat at least once a minute, it does hunger worse than any other game I know.

When I play a game with Alchemy I feel like the only reason it's ever shit is because it's either to complex in a fairly simple game and it doesn't add much or it's way to fucking simple in a much more complex game and usually doesn't do much at all.

I've found a good blend in a few games but it would be pretty cool to play a survival/fantasy game and be a voodoo nigger who spends his days looking for extremely rare ingedients for his exceedingly expensive and wild potions that can do shit like place a heavy curse on you that can only be cured with an even more rare potion or something that gives you gills.

Basically I want an game centered around alchemy to the point where if you make a slightly wrong calculation you could essentially ruin your pot.

TF2

Yea what fun was left in minecraft got ruined by the hunger mechanic but stop jumping and sprinting and you wont need to eat every minute.

They should have just added some kind of fatigue or something that regenerates like health and can be alleviated faster with potions. Having to carry stacks of food every time you go somewhere just so you won't die after 5 minutes is retarded.

Things a pleb that has never played Atelier would say

Fucking hell, user, you had to remember me about this.

By actually making combat centers around it in some aspect and customization.
Materials need to be able to affect the property of the concoction. For example, a flask of fluid with fine-ground powder of dry tree and nuts, mixed with fluid from a slime, should be able to set shits on fire like napalm. A concoction made from certain degree of holy water and energizing herbs should be able to mend wounds. A bottle of liquid containing salamander's larynx, slime's fluid and dragon's spit should be able to blow every fucking thing around into smithereens. Water and frostwyrm breath should make a mixture that can make a cloud of smoke.
One reason I liked RO, Atelier and Mana Khemia, because alchemy wasn't all about brewing some shitty healing/antidote/buffing potions and can actually blow shits up with big ass explosion.

The saw-off shotgun from GoW3 could one shot most enemies on insane, the catch though was you and your target had to be within kissing distance of eachother.

I think it is you who is pleb.

You'd have to essentially make a game about alchemy first and foremost. Also, menus take away a lot of the fun of alchemy. In a menu A+B=C happens instantly, but perhaps showing your actual alchemical process would be fun.

I would like a game that has a stupidly in depth alchemy system as well as magic. Not just level up and win, but having to study and learn. Melee classes start off with a much easier time, but experience difficulty later on. Magic/alchemist classes start off very weak and ineffectual, but only through constant study of tomes and books, they can become instruments of death and destruction.

Why can't I just play a magical alchemist?

Cooking pies was the best part of that game.

>You will never reach the endgame as a necromancer and just replace them all with cheaper skeleton labor so that you don't have to give a fuck

Seriously, I can't be excited for any of these fucking Excaliburs that are all fucking talk.

Here's another one.

Or my favorite.

And another.

Every fucking time

It might not have been that great of a game, but BALLS was the alchemy fun in this.

Turn based combat

I used to think that turn-based combat in jrpgs has depth or tactics to it, but it really doesn't.
You just mash attack command, and when it doesn't work you just go back and grind some more.

That doesn't apply to grid based tactics games of course, especially the ones where it is almost impossible to grind, like Front Mission series.

Alchemy needs to be a skill based mini-game. Sure you need the ingredients, some knowledge and some stats, but the actual making part should be something you get involved with.

Alchemy needs to be useful in combat. A fairly good example of this is the Engineer in Guild Wars 2 where you're buffing, debuffing, healing, CCing and even doing a bit of dmg with your creations. Yes GW2 combat blows, but it's a great example still.

Alchemy needs to be either worth the time and effort in the form of strong combat potency or at least mild combat potency + good money maker.

Alchemy needs to be something you specialize in, not some tradeskill anyone can max and shit out potions through like in WoW or TES games.

Alchemy needs to do more than just give out buffs and healing pots. Gadgets, explosives, tools (acid to melt a lock?), etc. Can't just be about >muh potions.

/thread

Don't Starve pinned it down pretty well.
The whole sanity system is pretty nice too.

Ratchet and Clank

oh, and another based thing this game did

You cannot beat an Atelier game just with drops and store items

Minecrafts alchemy was pretty effective and worth investing time into
Swimming in lava while immune in the nether on a pvp enabled server was absolutely worth it

The potions were mostly okay, the system for making them was not that great

I still have yet to play another game that through pure non-scripted gameplay, encouraged you to make your own quest to kill a god in order to fuse their soul with an item to make the most powerful enchantment of all time.

Why can't games ever get war right? It's always gritty bullshit.

Give me a natural way to encourage me to make potions with lots of different effects. Whenever alchemy is a system that isn't just "collect these 5 different specific ingredients to craft this potion", it always ends up encouraging you to just stack effects to make the best restore health potion possible or the best increase damage potion by combining similar ingredients.

I think ingredients should always have penalties and you would combine ingredients with opposing benefits/penalties to neutralize the bad stuff and leave the good stuff, but unless your potion is super complicated you're still going to have at least some negative side effects and a lot of different positive ones. In order for that to work, it needs to be more efficient to neutralize an effect than it is to add one (meaning a damage health 1 magnitude neutralizes a restore health 10 magnitude or the reverse).
I'm working on extending OpenMW's functionality to allow for this kind of a system

I agree that its one of the better examples, but thats because its main focus is that. Any other game is a hindrance, a nuance, or generally just not important after a certain point. Its just something you shouldn't need to think about. The best way to use it is to simply treat it is, "If you want to rest outside, or in a tent, you have to pay or use food."

In RL most humans eat somewhere between 4-6 hours. Obviously in a game that will only last somewhere between 20-80 hours, that would mean you would eve eat maybe 5 - 20 times. So they have to make the timer a bit shorter to make it seem like eating matters.

It comes down to a basic math question. How many times should the player eat in order for food decisions to have any real importance, but not just make them seem like gluttons, or be annoyed with the amount of food they have to carry just to hike up a mountain.

Have you ever tried Terrafirmacraft? That minecraft mod has great hunger.

I have not, but I was talking more of a general view. I think treating rations as some sort of kit for rest. You could only insert two "meal times" between rests without it becoming over burden. Breakfast and dinner.

I'm starting to think to deep into this. Playing something like Fallout or Skyrim, it seems ridiculous if you have to eat 4 times inside a dungeon that might take you over an hour. Especially when time is more cosmetic in those games, it really doesn't matter if its night or day on the grand scheme of things, unless a quest specifically points it out. Minecraft gets around that because it has time as a constant static, that you really can't change unless you use beds, but no one uses beds. It still way to taxing, with the right tweaks it probably could have worked. Something like old school rpgs just sort of fudges it and say "1 ration, and your character was eating through out the day before the rest". The game can treat it as a side mini-game where you get buffs and different conversations pop-up, but its never really "important".

I'll try the mod, but I don't think any game can ever do hunger properly by its very nature, without seeming intrusive. Since treating it like a death timer seems dumb, a stamina bar doesn't work ether since in most logical cases you should be able to recover by just standing still.

To me, the problem with hunger in video games is wasting time.
If a game had your party camp every night and you get to do things like clean weapons, craft potions and other shit, and then pick what meal your party eats that night, it would be great, especially if the meal determined a stat boost, but that's just me.

I'd love for more party based games to implement camping mechanics. I hate Darkest Dungeon, but setting up camp in that game is neat. More games should have camping be more than just healing up; all that downtime could let non-combat skills shine and it could be used to develop character's personalities.

Play Adom. Alchemy is the single most broken and fun things in the game. You can basically go full god mode with just stacking effects. (and puking rainbows while doing it).

I have never played a game where hacking is done even half realistically, with exploits, wordlists and traffic monitoring. Or even stolen passcard data printed on a blank one.

I played through dungeons just to get to this small segment. I wish I had people to play with. It's so much better as a team.

It should have relied on plant parts, ores, bones, etc. more

Just having a wider variety of shit to slap together doesn't really fix the problem
Mods do pretty good at having different takes on it, but the inherent problem with mods is that barely anything is standardized and none of those assholes can work together to save their lives so every single mod will have it's own special snowflake closed system for everything new it adds that doesn't interact with anything else you have

Now that I think about it seems like Borderlands and the recent Fallout games.

and HD era GTA

I'm a big dick weapon retard when it comes to RPGs, but come on, at least have something to do on downtime with all the land-looting

Jedi Outcast.

What the fuck that rabbit has four hind legs.

I've been making a mod that involves changing some creatures, how would you like to see liches done in Morrowind?

Make them actual liches

I know I'll get shit for hating on it, but I hate turn based combat.

I wouldn't blame you when happens over and over again.

there's nothing inherently wrong with turn-based combat unless you have ADD, however most nips fail to do anything interesting with it
you can find more interesting examples in early cRPGs in games such as Icewind Dale, Wizardry, Might & Magic, ToEE, and more recently Dungeon Rats

those games actually comprehend the idea of 'encounter design' and don't just resort to damage sponges or the same elemental bullshit you've seen everywhere

I think Disgaea did it pretty well, assuming you didn't just grind to win.

Looks that way, but I think it's anatomically correct.

shit and free and shit
store.steampowered.com/app/282880/

Early access puzzle game, how the fuck?!

Life is suffering

Eat high satiety foods and it will leave you alone longer.
Cooked meats as your final meal in a bar will last quite awhile.
I haven't played in fucking ages, though, so I'm not sure how it's changed.

I would be OK with this.

Roguelikes that have Alchemy usually make it a valuable skill to have.

Goddammit Japan, it didn't work for Battle of Z, Xenoverse, or Eyes of Heaven, WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING BACK TO THIS SHITTY GENRE

That's actually one area I've found Bethesda to be quite good in, you can actually loot everything that isn't nailed down,and if it's nailed down usually you can take the nail as well

Combat system.
It never works

The shotguns in E.Y.E. kinda suck, though.
Also I just found out I only have version 1.00 and there was may more shit added in later updates. Does anybody know where I can download patches/later versions?

Only games I know of that have them are the STALKER series and they always seemed borderline useless.

All my playthroughs were on master difficulty btw.

I actually love the alchemy system from Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana. You have the out-of-combat crafting, and the in-combat Mana crafting (it's basically casting a spell spending different elements, except you can stockpile the crafted items beforehand). You can then destroy stuff in the background outside of combat to recharge your mana.

Why are Ar Tonelico and the Atelier series the only ones who get this right?

Also:
Mana Khemia I & II and Breath of Fire VI are the only games where they do this right.

outside of japan*

Buy it, the radical dudes at Streum On are nice blokes, the game isn't expensive either.

Things on Holla Forums that never work

What's sad is that there's a flash game (I honestly forgot the name of sorry user) that did the Hollywood Hacking faithfully, and that was basically hitting any keys on the keyboard to make the bar reach 100% before the time ran out and it actually got intense in the final sections since it registers every keystroke you did but the hacking got a bit slower in each upcoming level. So you had to hit those keys like a motherfucker on speed to beat the game.

mfw the guy actually took a silly concept and turned it into a delightful button mashing sequence without frustrating the player

There's also Uplink

this on pc

Why only one game got this right?

What is this even from?

what engine?
I bet he's lying, because any game engine that gives you turing complete scripting control can _literally_ make anything computable work.

That's because the devs don't know what alchemy is and think it's just mixing things together to create potions as if you were some retarded witch.

yeh, sure, theres different intricacies to the hunger mechanics to allow you to work around them somewhat, but the hunger itself is bad in principle. minecraft was all about simplicity. you get wood, you build shit, you have a grand old time with your autistic friends. now, theres so much extraneous bullshit piled into the game that it's now bogged down and has a huge barrier of entry(for multiplayer, which is all I would ever play). add to the fact that almost every server is a complete shithole with so many dumb plugins restricting you from taking even a minute step in the SPECIAL AREA and minecraft just sux. minecraft got too complex, both in terms of its mechanics and in terms of player behavior/server bullshit.

i wish i could go back to 2011 and grief some little kids house just one more time

Bravely Default's Salve-Maker class was godly with a ton of shit you could combine to cheese the fuck out of the super bosses, and it was pretty much required.

Not sure if it counts as alchemy though.

Hacking

That's bullshit and you know it!

Overlord 2

I did find the GoldSrc engine pretty good for platforming. Probably not ideal, but the mechanics were all learnable and solid. Very little guesswork and randomness once you got it down, and the little quirks about air movement allowed for very precise control. All those ridiculous adventure, puzzle, climb and conc maps in TFC were fuckin' rad, and it was all based on the same rules, so getting better at one meant getting better at everything else.

Then again, it was a more innocent time where you were to adapt to the game and not vice versa. All those maps came after the movement system was in place and well-studied, so they could push their demands and difficulty in just the right direction.

Never played BF3, but slugs in BF2 were amazing. To the point where they really were OP due to their accuracy. That-singular-shimmering-pixel-is-an-enemy-you-can-hit accurate.
Crank up the resolution and know how to adjust for elevation and you become a marksman and can fight back against distant snipers. But unlike other snipers, you can have a fuckin' bazooka as a secondary weapon. Carl-Gustav best close-quarters weapon.

This

I'd say to make it so that potions are far more potent, but a lot more dangerous too, and they actually have a volume so you can't just have a good chug-a-lug of two litres of various potions in a few seconds.

So rather than "potion that lets you breathe underwater for one minute", it'd be "potion that lets you breathe underwater and only underwater for five minutes".
A potion of fire resist might make you slightly more prone to cold, and vice-versa.

Then as well as the obvious thing of a potion that gives you one advantage also gives you a disadvantage in the opposite attribute should one exist, potion ingredients would often have side effects.

e.g. the ingredient you use for poison resist might also make you stronger and faster but also able to harm yourself with overexertion, kinda like hard drugs.

That is an outright lie.

Gil is the only character that doesn't matter in the end what you do with him.

The sanity system was fuckin shit
how does a ring of flowers make you less stressed out over killing things and seeing monsters

The morality systems in Bioshock 2 were fucking stupid
The old nigress that was chimping out and trying to have you killed, if you don't spare her that's evil apparently
So I should forgive everyone who tries to kill me every single time, fuck you 2k or whoever wrote that bullshit, you fucking limp wristed faggots

If you kill your enemies they win

I never understood that in games
Wouldn't the good choice be to kill them so they don't kill others as they tried to do me?
She was obviously stoking up the citizens into more violence
If a animal tries to kill you and you end it so it cannot continue that pursuit, why is that any different than if its a person coming after you
I'm not even surprised how Bioshock Shitfinate turned out anymore

On a serious note it comes from the fallacy that Mercy and Compassion is ALWAYS the best choice. I blame Batman who is idolized despite being a fucking hypocrite who consistantly lets innocent people suffer and having a city full of criminals in an arms race that pretty much ensures that the moment he stops cleaning up gothems mess, the villians will take over because the police arent at all equipped to take them on. All of this in pursuit of some moral code, of which he bends as far as possible. Thats why the Killing Joke pisses me off so much, because Joker is RIGHT that Batman breaks the law on a daily basis while still pretending to uphold it and it potrays him being in the wrong becuase Gordon has drank enough of the kool aid that he doesnt think the world would be better off without Batman or the villans Batman has created by repeatedly showing off his batdick to the city.

Multiplayer. Never ever not ever.

Imagine if Batman went the route of that one president who stated killing gang leaders and offering rewards for info on tracking criminals down so they can be killed
Same result, Gotham would become incredibly safe really fast, less criminals = less crime

how about no