Games ruined by cheating

Ever since I found out I could use things like player.additem a 1000 in the console, I've stopped having fun in Oblivion. It just seemed too easy to access.
Even things like quicksaving right before a fight seem to make victory bittersweet, knowing I cheated the game's challenge of completing the entire dungeon at once.
When is cheating okay in games?

I actually had to force myself to play the console version for this reason.

When you are having fun.

what a bunch of faggots

Your complete inability to delay gratification proves you're a low IQ shitskins. Gas yourself.

You should never cheat yourself. Other players however…

Why is it my fault to deny instant gratification? Isn't it the game's responsibility to punish me for breaking the rules?

The same reason you don't fast forward to the end of a movie or a book to see how it turns out you fucking sperg, because you're denying yourself the journey of getting there.

Back to Holla Forumseddit

The point of a game is to reach the goal. It's not a book or a movie, it's the ends that justify the means.

Suck start a shotgun, goon. You outsiders can't help yourselves, you're so fucking obvious.

No, the point of a game is to partake in enjoyable gameplay.

reported for being fucking mad & butthurt lol

back 2 reddit

When I'm stuck in a wall due to a glitch and have to noclip out of it to progress.

It's hard to enjoy a game if you're not winning it. That's not to say losing in unenjoyable, but once in a while you should get some progress and feedback from the game.
Throwing cheat codes in a game seems to ruin the whole dynamic of needing to balance difficulty and having fun.

Buttflustered much?

If you're going to cheese a game, at least use an in-game exploit rather than just giving yourself shit through the console. There's plenty in every Elder Scrolls games because they're all broken messes, so there's no worry about not having anything to work with. At least if you exploit a bug, you actually have to do something to acquire the cheese, so there's a modicum more work put in than just giving yourself free shit.
I love the fuck out of games that have exploits like that, and I can't explain why. Knowing the right ritual to turn yourself into a God, be it sequence breaking that was intentionally put in, or unintentional glitches that grant you interesting, overpowered things, is way more fun than it deserves to be.

You're fat as hell, aren't you?

Anytime a glitch occurs because of an unpatched issue in a game that's already had its final patch and is no longer supported. Or when a script fails to fire in a heavily modded setup. That's why they call it Debug Mode.

He's right though and you two are just spineless jerk-offs that would've had more worth as sperm in a toilet bowl than actual human beings.

Starbound is silly. You can turn on admin mode in singleplayer.

Haha

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ENJOY MINECRAFT IF I CAN JUST SWITCH TO CREATIVE MODE WHENEVER I WANT
WHY CAN'T I ENJOY ANY GAME WITH DIFFICULTY SETTINGS IF I CAN JUST GO DOWN TO EASYMODE WHENEVER I WANT WHAT THE FUCK YOU GUYS

I cheat all the time in single player games and idgaf

Fucking hell people no self control.

I personally like doing no quicksave runs for TES games. Although I'm allowed to quicksave occasionally when outdoors and before I interact or do something that I think might cause the game to crash.

When it's singleplayer or when the other players agree to it. So essentially always unless you're literally trying to cheat on current_year relevant competitive games. In which case you wouldn't be asking this question.

If Oblivion wasn't such a shitty game I might not have cared to dupe over 10k pumpkins in the Market District. As it stands though you can just load back a save after you've fucked around enough.

That being said whenever a game has an open save system that allows me to save at any point I want you're damn right I abuse that shit and save scum because the devs were to lazy to implement a better system. Call it cheap if you want. Devs need to stop being retarded.

If cheating makes you feel unsatisfied then don't do it, simple as that. Cheating is fine if other players aren't affected and you aren't squandering your fun by doing it, but it sounds like you are.

I guess so, it seems dumb to blame a game if I intentionally ruin it. Maybe I should just stick to console games after all.

In single-player games where there is any form of grind or farming which doesn't require skill. Potions in The Witcher 1, money in GTA:VC, any item or ability in any of the TES games.

Now the little bit more difficult question is: when is it okay to abuse a glitch or broken game mechanic?

With such terrible intellegence and zero willpower or wisdom OP better be fucking jacked

OP has shit charisma too as is evident by him making a fucking post that literally everyone laughed at

what a fucking loser

There's no reason for SP games to have no cheat. Cheating adds modability and replayability and may work as a workaround for the game's bugs and poor balance. You don't have to cheat if you don't want to, faggot.

Nothing beats getting yourself a rhino in sir yes sir mission and make 2 billion bucks in vigilante mission.

I tried to cheat in TF2 on my own local server, it's pretty fun. But when I get bored I just don't use cheats, Is it that hard to restrain yourself from doing something satisfying but you know will hurt you or the things you like doing? What are you like in real life, OP?

Here I thought OP was gonna talk about games like SOCOM II, whose online community eventually deteriorated into a hellhole of rampant glitching and hacking, to the point where if you ever actually killed someone with the intent of playing the objective you were votekicked

Pretty much this. There's plenty of MP games that have been ruined by cheating. However SP? Get some fucking self control.

I've often maintained the dev console is too easy to get to in Gamebryo.

I'll never be able to forget tgm and therefore my experiences are cheapened know it's there.

I prefer to console in custom outfits, or mats if I don't know the ID. I don't even care if it's cheating.

I don't get this. The whole point to a game (not just video game) is that the player sets up and agrees to completely arbitrary restrictions and rules soley for the sake of challenge, competitiveness and fun.

You could just easily cheat at solitair. Or instantly knock down your opponent's king in chess. Or do all sorts of crazy crap in tabletop games.

Then there's the more secret cheating. Like changing the pieces around when the opponent isn't looking. This is more so about cheating another player than cheating the game.

But most of you faggots are talking about cheating single player games. Just the POSSIBILITY of it ruins it for you? The fuck is wrong with you nigs? Get some fresh air.

this

I don't know, it's like reading a book. But once you discover you can make safes out of the book, you don't really want to read them anymore. In fact you can't.
A game can easily become a toy when you break the rules. It's fun for a little while, but then you spoil yourself and don't really want to do the challenge, because you know an easier way to reward yourself.

I'd say I'm fairly chaotic neutral

tbh I cheated to get through Deus Ex and I don't regret a thing. I still enjoyed the shit out of the game

Kill yourself. Cheats are the best.

You'd be astounded at how many autists here haven't seen a tree in days.

you enjoy it because it's unexpected and makes you think

The console is basically a debugging tool, why would it punish you for using it?

Well then start winning.

There we have it, the dumbest example used to argue for anything this week.

Cheating is primarily the reason why I only play games where I'm building something. If the only object of the game is to increase some kind of vague number (like points, or kills, or collectables, or legendary weapons, or… cheese wheels apparently) then I find there's no point to play it. It's more efficient to cheat to increase this number right away than to actually play the game, and I loathe inefficiency even in my leisure. If it's something that a computer can do better than I can (that is, the game relies primarily on precision or reflexes) then I also will feel I am wasting my time.

But if you're constructing a City or a Mine or a Fortress or a Factory or Space Program, you can't cheat your way to its completion. Oh sure, you can cheat by adding stuff until you have a big pile of whatever the game considers as wealth or resources, but these are still just building blocks. Using God Mode or whatever equivalent just gives you access to an entire toy store full of Legos; you still have to build things yourself. That's where the satisfaction of a game is (and, indeed, most everything else in life), for me.

Guess what, user? All software is ultimately malleable to the user - that's what it's designed for and that's naturally what it will tend toward being designed by as user software as it is. Git gud, you fucking retard: If you're recognizing what you're doing as being what you should not be doing, why the fuck are you doing it?

If a game tempts the player to cheat, it's a show of bad game design and often comes with one of the following:

In Oblivion's case, it's the third and the second as an extension of the third.
Elder Scrolls combat has always been shit, it's just about stats.
Your arrows and spells are like peashooters unless you've spent ages grinding the skill, and the same applies to swords.
Not to mention that fancy footwork rarely saves you from damage in melee fights, and blocking is just damage reduction.

I dont even abuse alchemy in Morrowind

You sound like a liberal, user. Get the fuck out of here.

There's a few rootie tootie scrolly shooties that get routinely ruined by a baffling culture of retards thinking it's okay to play every one with maxed out turbofire and it's somehow not cheating. One of these even has a console port where the turbofire is only accessible through a cheat code and we're supposed to believe it's not cheating?

Under normal circumstances that would be true, but unfortunately, the election isn't over.

Reported for leftist.

And so the shitstorm begins

As dumb as the example is his point is absolutely valid applied to games. It becomes a toy that's fun for a little while but then you can never really go back.

You are truly retarded, OP. Remove yourself not just from this board, but from all of internet. Retire to the mountains and medidate. When you realise just how utterly wrong you are, you will be allowed to come back.

Well meme'd my friend

Why is everyone so angry in this thread? It's a topic of actual discussion.

Normally I'd agree with this sentiment…if I was still a preteen or a child.

In a game as heavily modable as skyrim and its related prequels. Having easy access to console commands is a blessing to more people than a curse.

The only fun it had ruined is people with very low self control. For many cheating lets you test the limits of a game and dig deeper into what makes it tick short of tearing apart its source code.

If it ruins it for you then that's a personal problem. Unless it's a multiplayer thing but that's a whole other set of issues.

Well then stop cheating you dumb faggot

Precisely.

coc balmora

roll, soul, start and estus

I do think it's a problem. My classic AoE1 and AoE2 experience got ruined by it not because I didn't have the willpower, but knowing you always have a nuclear option. It takes away so much of the 'back-against-the-wall' thing. The only way I would manage it is by making levels where one would have no Town Centers, no villagers and thus couldn't cheat in most ways. Also 7vs1 against me.

I'd play a DS SHMUP

Diablo II.

Game Bree Oh!