There has never been a bad mainline Mario platformer

There has never been a bad mainline Mario platformer.
How is that possible?

Because Nintendo never innovates. :^)

SMB3 > SM64 > SMW > SMB2(J) > SMG2 > SMG > SMB > SMS > SM3DW

That's a really stupid excuse.

It's exactly because of their similarities to each other and how boring they are now that I think all the latest ones are bad. Well, I assume, since I stopped playing anything Mario related after galaxy.

There are now hundreds of thousands of children whose first Mario game was on the Wii, so even if the old neckbeards stop buying Nintendo shit, these kids replace them.

Because it's been more or less been the same game over and over again for the last 3 decades. Nostalgia, toddlers, autism, etc.

Strong core ideas drive the gameplay.

Lost levels kind of sucked.

Mario has the deepest lore.

Super Mario 3D World was bad. Ever notice no one talks about it or gives a single shit about it?

It was pretty forgettable, especially compared to the Galaxy games.

Mario is a fucking cuck, why haven't you ascended to Wario master race yet, OP?

nothing can be bad if your standards are nothing.

because mario is the man with the plan

Nobody gave a shit about 3D World.

i fucking hate you shiteaters

Sure, in the same way COD is every arena shooter mixed together.

And the best one is donkey kong on gameboy
What's your point

Yeah, if you listen to the paid reviews.

By yourself, tell me how you can enjoy Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? They are braindead simple games designed so any 5 year old can beat them, and on top of that they are almost entirely stripped of interesting and explorable environments, with only one or two exceptions.

I think they count as bad games if I can't play them without agonizing boredom.

Sunshine is the best 3D mario.

Turns out that when you churn out the same game to Nintendorks without taking any risk for 30+ years they're satisfied and keep shoveling money into Nintendo's fat fucking mouth. Weird.

They nailed it with SMB and have only made small changes over time with the only real revolution being M64 which they put huge amounts of effort into to get it right.

People like to hang shit on Nintendo for never changing but when nearly everything else is changing to be less fun, more casual and better at extracting money from idiots I'm glad they haven't changed much.
If their next console is good I might buy my first console in over 15 years

The NES generation will still be Nintendo consumers for quite some time methinks.

(shit, didn't find the image I actually wanted to post)

depending on where you live SMB2 is either the worst uninspired rehash ever or some random game with mario name slapped on it that has nothing to do with the series at all

You mean this one lad?

yes there has, 3dworld and galaxy 2

More or less, I finally found it

What do you mean by "mainline"? Is the "new" series mainline? Are the 3D platformer (64, Sunshine, Galaxy) mainline?
Anyway 2D platformers are usually good because they're simple and don't need to change the formula, for example there are no bad DKCountry games either and they "innovated" even less than the Mario series. What platformers need is good level design, nothing more.

Galaxy is extremely boring.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good but they fucked it up for the Wii U version.

The actual SMB2 isn't great.

it's a fucking direct sequel buddy, it's more mainline than anything else that's come out lately

2D Mario platformers peaked at Super Mario World. 3D Mario games aren't exactly platformers per se, they're some sort of collect-a-thon puzzle games with platforming elements thrown in. In the 2D games, the objective was simply to traverse the obstacle course and reach the end by any means necessary. There were puzzles, but they were integrated into the course itself, and they aided the player's ability to reach the end of the course faster, or gave the player access to secret levels that would offer access to power ups that could be used in other levels. Short cuts, power ups, every mode of transport, and everything standing in the player's way were relevant to the player's ability to reach the goal.

In the 3D titles, the goal shifted; players are expected to traverse a themed environment and collect high value target items (Stars in Mario 64; Shines in Super Mario Sunshine). Sometimes these special items were placed at the end of some obstacle course, the traversal of which would involve some manner of platforming, but more often than not, the player is expected to solve puzzles or problems for other characters in order to acquire their prize.

This fundamental shift in game design has changed the Mario franchise for the worse, if you ask me. They should find a way to go back to obstacle course design, but in a 3D environment. Fuck your gimmicks, Nintendo.

3d world was great

Play Galaxy 2 or 3d world/land

all mario games are shit though?

There have been been plenty of bland ones, which, depending on your point of view, could also mean they're bad.

Lost Levels a shit

Mainline Mario games a shit

haha

By this point I'm convinced that all mario fans that are older than 8 years, have some sort of mental condition allowing them to have fun from performing the most basic tasks and watching colorful shit dancing on screen.
But thread already got them covered

Can you kill yourself please?

babyfur's first game.jpg

I don't think 3D World's the worst, but yeah I think it's overrated. I thought 3D Land was better. But I'm saying that in a gameplay perspective. 3D World had a lot of areas that looked like it would be fun traverse, but they stuck us with the control scheme from 3D Land which is designed mostly for obstacle courses, so I always feel limited when exploring worlds that were designed to be explored and not just act as platforms to traverse.

For me it's
SMB3 > SM64 > SMG2> SMG > SMW > SMB > SML > SML2 > NSMB Wii > NSM3DL > NSMB1 > SM3DW >NSMB2 > NSMB U

Because it's simple.

That's not bad, you in Mario only have Run and jump with the addition of a wall jump later, but it means to avoid having all the levels feel different they have to make them all feel different, every now and then they may add one or two things like the cat suit or the helicopter suit but it's only a slightly different power and doesn't deter.

I can't see anyone liking babies after that game

You can't even enjoy something without someone going full retard

3D World is the worst. It's so fucking casual I didn't even try and got all 3 star coins + gold flags first run through the game. Also, I think I have some sort of newb version that gave me the silver tanooki from the start.

when they are compared with others of the same genre, or of the same series, I would disagree.
however good/bad in general, you are right. I'd also argue that is the case for most nintendo games.
an example is the smash series. in general, if you were to base them off their own merits, I'd say all four smash games were good. however, if you base them on others in the series, you get plenty of spread over which game is good and bad.
with games like these that have a formula and don't deviate from that formula, mainly because that formula makes (in general) good games, the best way to judge it is based off of others with the same formula.
so, from that logic, I would disagree with you OP. I would say New Super Mario Bros Wii U wasn't very good.
others can also express more examples.

Either you are baiting or you have your head way too up your ass.

You are a sickfuck.

Come on man

Most franchises don't have bad games, Holla Forums just incorrectly calls anything under a 9/10 bad

Though the only mario game I consider an 8 or better is sunshine

It was tough as shit.

XD