We will never get the 90s era of strange and original PC games again

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunion_(video_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's stopping you from downloading Game Maker, Unity or something and making your own strange game? There are countless free tutorials online.

Well, learning is always the first step. There are also several impressive solo projects.

/thread

There are only so many hours in a day

Certainly, the industry is much more stagnant than it was then, but, still…

It is completely possible to do all of that and is the best way to live.

why live

At least we have a few indies that aren't utter faggots and the AA devs are trying to re-open their niche.

Anyone have a clue how well OFF works on Linux? It's an RPG Maker game, do those run well in WINE?

What don't you like about any of the threads in the Indie game? What do they lack specifically?

Even if not, there's actually a re-implementation of the RPG Maker executable either made or in progress, I think. Can't remember the name or anything, though.

EasyRPG

*any of the games in the Indie thread

i'm doing my part, OP
Maybe back then the field was so new there were no "right ways to make a game", so people felt free to do whatever made sense to them

Rad.

I hear good things about 2090s so better get /fit/

Star Citizen might be a decent game by then

THE JEWS DID THIS

The most important quality is patience, you can buy music and there is tons of free sound effects and you can hire for more creative kinds. Skill develops by doing actual game development.

You're right, a dev ages like wine.

Fun shit.

I'd love to live in an alternate universe when Netstorm had a better promotional team and War Wind had competent interface designers. This is what we could have had instead of Age of Empires and Warcraft. Can you imagine?

what is the second pic from?

Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters, user-kun

thanks, friend

im just lazy. thats probably all it is

the grass is always greener huh?

I thought it was just going to be a walking simulator and ended up being really positively surprised by the level of depth it actually had.

all those games were highly flawed, rushed, or even terribly designed and were really lackluster compared to what consoles were doing. Unless you like first person games.

It feels like the mid-tier developers with weird yet decently polished games all disappeared, nowadays it's either cookie cutter big budget shiny shit or interesting but janky and unfinished as fuck indie shit.

I am completely ok with an original and unique game having flaws faggot. You can't expect any different.

Yeah, id also rather have 25 iterations of the same goddamn shit.

I'm getting really tired of your bullshit nigger

Trace him, I'll do the rest.

yeah fuck off

Getting tired of your shit, tumblrtale.

I CALLED THE COPS ON YOU FUKKEN NAZI

War Wind was so ahead of its time it's incredible. Much of the stuff it had wasn't used in RTS until many years later, and some just wasn't really utilized again period. Too bad the interface and AI were garbage.

Doesn't matter. Anything remotely popular nowadays gets shit on by Holla Forums. And yes I am clumping you faggots together because this entire shit board is literally just that, a giant hivemind where the opposing minority is so vocal you can't talk about the game.

So what are you

Back to the Overwatch thread

Barkley remains good.

Your 2 posts in this thread are you making wild guesses at 2 popular games. Case in point. Try again faggot.

reported :)

Todd is the perfect example of that guy who gets put into a high end position because he brewed the big executives' coffee.

Are you hyped about the sequel? Its coming to Steam whenever the tumblrina making it is done with it.

They get worse unless you seal them in an airtight container?

hes right though. lazy people dont deserve anything

Has anyone actually taken the time to map out this shit?

I've read about the Barkley one in a gaming magazine once, apparently it's a postmodern satire mixing all possible JRPG and animu cliches with basketball as its main theme, and apparently manages to pull off tasteful parody.
I might check out some of this shite.

Work is the NEET's kryptonite, user.

Where did all the time go?

It's not a matter of "deserving" when you have potential paying customers looking to engage in a business transaction.

I mean, I'd spend money on video games a lot more if there were more good ones. Only thing I'm planning buying this year is Space Hulk Deathwing… I haven't purchased anything else in months and months, but I would buy a lot of vidya if there was more good stuff available.

You need to stop posting for a few weeks.

With indie games, most of the time it seems like the devs were trying to make a good indie game instead of just a good game. I'm not sure how exactly to put it into words, but it feels like indie devs never try to "reach for the stars", so to speak, like devs in the 80s and 90s did. They understand their limitations, which is a good thing, but it always seems like they take it too far and become afraid to actually push themselves to their limits. Instead they'd rather work comfortably below them, and turn out games that may not have any major, game-breaking flaws, but nothing all that special either.

Strange games do come out

It's moreso they have no budget and people instead buy the next Call of Duty.

Because it's been proven with video games as long as you pump 100 million into a marketing budget, people will buy the game even if it's complete garbage because of hype.

It's why the middle market for vidya disappeared and why it's either games have AAA budgets or they don't get greenlit and fade into obscurity.

There are reasons for this. One of the biggest is that often indie games are made in a person's spare time.

It's also that people often make indie games to try and get a job.

Games in the 80s and 90s weren't indie games. The developers were paid full time and that was their entire job they attended 5 days a week for. As a result there was way more time and talent working on them. But games were much simpler to make back then and thus could be put out at a smaller price.

I like to call them the feminist inquisition.

A lot of the games listed have some pretty nice gameplay elements actually, they just aren't known for them because a good atmosphere can often overshine gameplay. I bet you unironically hate Yume Nikke because it doesn't relate to your autistic preferences. Get some taste faggot.

You bet I hate Yume Nikki nigra. If the gameplay isn't what someone would call the best part, or doesn't exist at all, it should be a fucking book or movie.

You say that but you couldn't really format Yume Nikki as anything other than a game or a shitty fanfic. And even then the experience couldn't be captured. Seriously play the game faggot and learn before you preach bullshit.

I have standards. Would you eat shit just to know that it's shit?

Even if the game was shit you wouldn't know why or in what ways. You're arguing about shit you don't even understand. Besides that we have threads about Yume Nikki almost a every other week. You're just retarded enough to think it's shit because of "muh gameplay" argument despite the game actually having a winning state with multiple collectables that add progress in multiple ways.

Bumping

I thought the point of the thread is wonder why creativity sunk so much, not that creativity sunk because /agdg/ is lazy.

I'de be much more lazy if we had better vidya probably. I'de actually want to develop for an industry that isn't shit. I mean
"be the change you want to see" and all but god damn who the fuck wants to spend several years developing shit that will just be forgotten in a heap of shit. Or even worse adored by normalfags who don't care.

Strange things with a budget dont come out

invest and support in your local adgd

Anyone else play Hardwar?

This.

What annoys me about Holla Forums is that everyone blames devs and publishers.

No Ubisoft is not shit. YOU are shit. Without you there wouldn't be a Watchdogs.

Because in the end the shitty decisions they make result in a shitty game regardless of the fact that people are retarded enough to buy what they make. Also what the fuck kind of discussion can be had by calling retarded casuals retarded? You can't discuss an audience in any depth compared to a publisher or developer you dipshit.

We keep getting strange and original games, it's just that nobody fucking wants them
You ever play Miasmata? The Void?
Or past that, did you buy them?
Try the Knobbly Crook, it's cool

Todd was the guy who suggested TES games use a fps control scheme in the future, and the thing was novel as fuck at the time. To be honest I view that as one of the biggest reasons the franchise exploded in popularity among normalfags who woulnd't touch an rpg in their lives.

OP Undertale came out last year

Does Darius count as well? It's a SHMUP where you shoot giant mechanic fish with incredibly trippy backgrounds. One of the Darius games involves capturing enemies with your pokéballs and using them as options on top of being able to beam duel with the aforementioned giant fish. Also the soundtrack, the fuckign soundtrack. Just listen to this.

Don't you guys forget the classic

You always were a kiddy diddler Steve.

Merit's Galactic Reunion

Game has a million flaws, including that you can't automatize the transport of minerals from your colonies, stupid land battles (and zero control over space battles) and that there's only one way of getting certain technologies (obscure as hell). Worst of all: had a 10 minute intro but a 5 seconds only ending.

I only beat this game by reading a FAQ and then modifying the save game with an hexadecimal editor.

Pros: graphics are perfect, general interface is ok. The premise of reuniting your lost colony with Earth is great, nobody knows what has happened there since contact was lost 200 years ago. Develop Satellites, send them to the other planets of your solar system, contact aliens, exchange technology, mine other planets for rare minerals, develop better spaceships and send them to discover remote solar systems, rinse and repeat.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunion_(video_game)

I only did that to add more resources because flying a dozen ships in a caravan going there and back again can be fun for only a couple of hours.

I recently made an almost perfect run in the 2004 version. I didn't got all the treasure you could get (19/24 or so) but I finally got all the titles from the Spanish/English/Netherlands/French, plus all the other obvious stuff.

I wish there was a space game with this gameplay.
And I wonder if Sword of the Samurai and Covert Action are worth playing.

But can one do all of that, and also have time to shitpost constantly on Holla Forums?

I'm ready.

I used to have Covert Action a long time ago. I remember it being interesting, though some of the puzzles were way too complicated for me back then.

It was basically a collection of mini-games. I remember there being a car-chase scene, a hacking game, a decryption segment (this was the tough one), and a birdseye-view stealth game that played surprisingly like an atari MGS. I never did get too far, since it was one of those games that required you to answer a question using answers in the manual. It would still let you play the games separately , but I'm not sure if they were given some sort of progression or story with the correct code.

If you find it somewhere, definitely give it a try. I'm gonna look into emulating it, thanks for reminding me about it.

You forgot Million Dollar Extreme's vidya game

Bought Miasmata, played it for an hour and a bit, put it down. It's one of those "wow what a neat idea!" games, until you pick it up, realize that it's massively overstated how unique it is, and how fucking awful it's handled.

Comes with practise and overcoming failures.
Your still alive.
If your game is good people will flock to help,

What the hell are you waiting for? Make vidya great again.