Cry of Fear

Is this worth playing? I love some of the monster designs, they look really atmospheric. But I heard that there's quite a bunch of jumpscares in the game, I don't want to get fucking heart attack. The story looks like shit too. Everything is just hallucination? Like what the fuck, it had great potential and they just threw it all into the trash. So, for those who have played it, how was it?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616242
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you don't want alot of jumpscares don't. The story is shit, but I think it's worth playing anyway since it's one of the few games that makes you count every bullet.

So there's a lot of jumpscares?

Yeah, but the atmosphere is pretty unsettling and there are some really nice setpieces.
Its also great graphic masturbation material considering this was all done on the GoldSource engine.

Afraid of Monster is definitely the better game though, you should play both though.
They're extremely enjoyable experience, especially for what they are

Play it ASAP, user. It was made with love and care and you can tell. The monsters are all pretty great and the game isn't too bad with jumpscares. Just get ready for a fucker with a chainsaw to chase you every few levels. The only issue is that melee is kinda wonky and you win most melee only fights by simply having more HP. One of my favorite parts was using the MC's Sony Ericcson dumbphone as a flashlight and reading texts from his mother on it asking when he was coming home.

Like I said, I'm weak to jumpscares.

Story is shit, like always.
But the one thing that really makes rustles my jimmies is that the fucking dev added savepoints into the game. There is no reason at all to do that except to piss the everliving shit out of people.

That said, it really is a nice horrorgame, and it is free.

Get out and never come back

It's not free of jumpscares(if memory serves there is one really obvious one in the start of the game, as well as kind of a really startling and well hidden one also near the beginning that triggers if you check your environments.
It has its fair share of spooky shit outside of jumpscares and that stuff is great. Story ranges from okay to some guy's emo fantasy, same deal with the gameplay. It's also very meh, especially when you're going around trying to knife people. Credit where it's due the chainsaw guy was fucking terrifying and the atmosphere is great when it's not foreshadowing a jumpscare. If you're really that weak to jumpscares I suggest you not play it. I'm not sure how many jumpscares are in the game, but I remember the very first one spooking a lot of people so you'll probably have a heart attack during the prologue.

Any jumpscares?

The first jumpscare got me, it was absolutely cheap. I didn't freak out, but my chest hurts. 98% of the horror in this game is me expecting another jumpscare. I think I'm gonna stop playing it.

Plenty

It gets better, keep playing pussy

I didn't finish it but it's fucken great.
Play it.
Don't be a pussy.

But yes, the game is very, very grim and disturbing.
Game is practically pic related: the experience.

Outside from some questionable dialogue with some bad voice-acting, and having to do some inventory gymnastics seriously, a key and fuses take up an inventory slot, which is also used by weapons like a goddamn shotgun and a rifle everything else about the game is really good. It's one of the best horror games to come out in recent memory that's really good and doesn't suck, since there's not a single moment in the game that feels objectively weak, with multiple endings too.

This. It's good but AoM is much better

I don't know, I'm not very fond of heart attack.

The combat sucked I guess. So do the jumpscares. Condemned is an immensely better game, but the enemy design isn't as creepy.

From what I've seen on youtube, the graphics looks like it was made by a 10 year old. The monsters aren't very creepy looking too.

Dude it's just a jumpscare. You don't have to stop playing the game. Come on. Or, quit the game and finish writing your Buzzfeed article on it, Joe.

That's what I liked about the story though. It really felt at times like a total immersion into an emo teenager's mind, complete with all the spiriling emotional issues and depressions. Especially the part when you save your gf (iirc) like you're finally the hero and do something right for once with your big scoped hunting rifle in hand (fuck you the enfield was great) and then she gets killed right infront of you.

It runs on GoldSrc, the Half Life engine from 1998. Just how new are you, exactly?

Are you shitting me? AoM is a 3/10 game at best. It's a fucking boring, poorly designed disaster.

It's like you retards already forgot how shit-tier the forest tree screamers are, or the chainsaw chase with invisible fucking walls everywhere.

Play the remake (Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut)

That was Cry of Fear

Am I a pussy for not liking scary games?

Do you find the Paranormal Activity movies to be scary?

No, Chainsaw Runner in CoF has no invisible walls. The one in AoM takes place in a buggy ass forest full of them and it's retarded.

Yes.

What are you, a fatty?

Did you even play the fucking game
AoM doesn't have any chainsaw running scenes
That was Cry of Fear too

Fist AoM has no chainsaw runner, second the forest chainsaw runner in CoF does have retarded invisible walls
Did you even play the games?

The whole game is jumpscares and some adorable voice acting from english-as-an-8th-language scandos. Inventory system is retarded (3 slots, no matter the size of the item). The AI is…well they just walk at you so p standard. The story is pretentious, as if they actually thought they were the first ones to come up with "it was all a dream/fantasy/drug induced coma" even though they did that with their previous game. The weapons are ok, but really you just need the glock and you'll be fine. oh and playing it can get you VAC banned.

I forgot to mention the backtracking. It's probably at least 40% of the game. The puzzles are okay, forced, but okay. The multiplayer is actually quite interesting though. You play as cops trying to find and stop the main character, but it opens up a gigantic plot hole.

There's quite a lot I heard.

Why would you want too get immersed into a teenager's emo mind?

The textures could be better I mean.

It's not heart attack actually. Playing too much jumpscares makes my nerves feel a bit tickling and jumpy, and at night, I would get a lot of sleep paralysis. I don't like it.

Did you ever see any spooky shit? I had it once but didn't see anything, just staring at the ceiling.

DO IT PUSSY
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY PENUMBRA YOU BETTER PLAY THIS SHIT ELSE YOU DIE IRL

You've never played any of them, have you?

REally? What?

At sleep paralysis? Well, a kind of dark shadows, sometimes they look almost like human figure, I think I've seen my deceased grandma, high pitched voice like screeches in my ears, and other stuff you know. I try to close my eyes now.

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616242

Cry of fear is worth playing, yeah. Avoid the higher difficulties though, they're complete bullshit in some spots. Many, many tight hallways and rooms with exploding enemies and potential 1-shot kill jump scares. The combat is good, but playing on the hardest difficulty had me restarting quicksaves too much and it kinda lost its scare after a while due to bullshit. Combat is good but level design is not all that hot for it.

If you like it definitely play the maker's earlier game, Afraid of Monsters. Its the better of the two imo despite being more aged.

This, play it on easy or medium.
Use bullets freely, you'll have too many weapons anyway.

That was a rumor from back when it was a Half-Life mod that was proven false (supposedly related to using the custom renderer from the Paranoia mod when playing multiplayer)

bump

Yes.

It's scary as fuck and a true masterpiece.

There are a few startling moments, though.

It felt like it had quite a bit of wasted potential to me, but I still really dug it. Definitely is heavy on the jump scares, however. That the game probably had its Resident Evil-esque teleport doors implemented solely for the purpose of a scare where enemies start breaking through them is both the silliest thing and the best thing, too.

One more thing, too:
This is where you see some of the wasted potential - and some pretentiousness, too, but it does go beyond that. Cry of Fear's universe can be expected to be one of dark magic and of dark 'spaces' just out of the way of human perspective, fueled by human perspective - it's very Slenderverse-esque, in its general concept and in that that broad concept of the setting is barely touched upon at all, beyond establishing the monster/monster setting of the work.

and dropped

What do anons think of gggmanlives' review? Some parts do look pretty tedious and frustrating.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the section right before the end of the game where you have to do pixel-perfect (well, y'know what I mean) crouch-jump first person platforming through a long concrete tunnel with crushing walls.

As I'm rewatching this video, I just noticed the hit reaction of the shotgun is completely lackluster (enemies don't even seem to flinch), and sounds like a nerf gun. That is a huge turn-off for me, I think I'll pass.

my favorite video of this game

Shitloads of jumpscares, devs do not care about you and will always throw one harder than an edgy person throwing tantrums.
Story was fine, not too complex or bland. Gameplay was survival-horror oriented with the shitty limited space inventory, glock is your best friend.
Every enemy is designed to instill panic to the player more than to actually do any harm.
Game loves to dick at you subway train is an example
Has a fine 4 player co-op mode and some community-made campaigns. Either way, game is pretty much ded because valve is a huge kike who refuses to let anyone sell mods standalone games of half life, hence why devs only accept (((donations)))
Also, absurdly high recoil for every firearm, which consists of decently uncommon guns such as the Walther G43 or the VP70.
Game runs on a toaster and takes place in Sweden

inb4 try out custom singleplayer campaign and hit "maxplayers 4" on the console followed after "restart", you should get a really weird co-op experience. You might need to mess with the config files for this one.

Afraid of monsters has the issue of enemies being gigantic bullet sponges and moving very fast dealing crazy high amounts of damage. You'll be too busy being pissed at shitty game design and enemies being spammed at you all the time to care about the spooks. And then when you get certain weapons like the shotgun they go down much easier. It's a little absurd though it takes like 4 mags with a pistol to kill a single monster, then you a get a shotgun and they're fucked in around 2 shots.

Right on the head, user. That's what I was thinking of during the park segment or going through the college.

I replaced the ingame mp3 files with jazz and Itallian funk tracks to reduce a bit of the tension. Henry Mancini, Riz Ortolani, Armando Trovajoli, and so on. Now it feels like a 70's cop flick with ghosts.

I like this theory.

Bumping with Simon's phone

Nokia is better tbh.

Oddly in game you pick up a Nokia battery if I remember right.
I have a soft spot for all those early Nokia N-series devices, it's too bad some of them are ugly as shit.
I'd give it 6 months in my pocket before it'd break.

Anyone have trouble getting AoM's installer to run? I see there's a process running, but an installer never pops up.

Well, the key thing to me is that certain book Simon wrote: That inexplicable thing that in its My Twisted Worldness has this power to drag its readers out of the Earth as we know it; that is in a metaphysical sense anchored to something alien (or perhaps just to an element of humanity best left obscure), and that risks anchoring the things it touches to that alienness (or to that not-so-alien psychopathy) as well. Again, I think, very akin to the Slenderverse (as presented by Tribe Twelve and that whole blogging community that they were a part of) - where the Slenderman is fueled by your awareness of him (although I hate to put the focus on him like that - he's really the least interesting figure in it), where mystic signs (drawn from blood or painted in aerosol) can create portals between this space and others, and where a human soul being fashioned into an ethereal demon in its afterlife is something of a given.

Its full of jump scares, awkward mechanics, early 2000 emo writing and it goes on for too long, but because it is so fucking long the atmosphere of negativity and desperation which the game has, will slowly grow on you.

If you want to experience a similar atmosphere but better content, you can look for the Half Life 2 Mod "Grey".

terrible game play, shitty levels, and cheap scares. cry of fear isn't really worth bothering with. The bosses are fucking terrible too.