Games that still look great for their time

Just finished playing Alan Wake after starting on Halloween and damn does it still look great for a game that came out 2010/11

Also a pretty neat engine too. Any other games more than a few years old that still hold up today but dont get mentioned too often?

Also Sequel never ever

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/vgm/5861087367.html
sharmods.donutteam.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Vanquish looks pretty fucking great. Xbone BC or PC port fucking when?

Far Cry 2, Crysis, Metro 2033.

embarrassing, fam.

played the Metro redux recently, while it looks fantastic hate the shit they removed or changed

I enjoyed the new stealth system, and the fact the every enemy on the map doesn't instantly know where you are if one lone guy glimpses you for a quarter of a second before getting a throwing knife through the face, and the weapon customization was nice, but I'm really not a fan of the 2 gun limit in Ranger. It feels so boring and limiting.

Game was meh but I want to live in that town so bad.

Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Silent Hill 2

Thread fucking over.

Devil May Cry 4 looks scarily good considering how old it is. Super well optimized PC port too.

the fuck is wrong with you

Primal is the best looking ps2 game of all time surpassing mgs3 and FF XII in terms of graphics. Just look up gameplay and you'll see what I mean.

What's da mattah famalam? U be postin racist stuff stfu craka dat aint rite ya hear?

Coincidence? :^)

Resistance 2 was a mistake.

Are you sure about that?

Someone brings it up here whenever the topics of good looking console games, third person shooters, or cool armor designs are brought up.

Can you guys believe that this is actually a PS1 game? The spaceship used during the menus also has a ridiculous amount of detail and a rather high polygon count. It looks like an early PS2 title.

Also Tobal 2 for the PSX has models that wouldn't look out of place in a Drecast game, best of all? It has freaking facial animations for a PSX game!

Where the hell did that even come from? Nobody even mentioned ecelebs?

Co-op campaign saves it from being a total shitshow

Nah, still looks like a PS1 game
You got to squint your eyes a little too hard for that to look like a PS2 title and by too hard I mean closing them completely

Who or what the fuck is a "PR"?

I said early PS2 titles.

Nigger please
The jump performance was too brutal

A videogame show made by rich and jack from redlettermedia. It's kinda silly that he fixated on that particular episode since rich mentions Vanquish a lot.

Skip to 2:55, look at those facial animations. This game has some crazy character models for a PSX game, they had to sacrifice the depth of texturing for that but other than that, it looks better than anything else on the PSX.

Mafia 2 can still look quite nice at times, especially at the beginning when the entire city is covered in snow. Shit is mad comfy.

I can't tell wether this picture has too much or not enough anti-aliasing.

Probably a bit of both. I could have sworn in the options menu the only settings for anti-aliasing were "On" and "Off".

Halo 3 still looks pretty good for a game that came out 10 years ago

I forgot how good Halo 3 is.

that shit was photorealistic by early 2000s standards

Even Halo 2 (and to an extent Halo 1) look great due to their clever use of bump mapping, Halo 2's brilliant use of high resolution textured flats and clever lighting and great particle effects. The flats are commonly used in sky boxes and during some cutscenes like the embed to give the feeling of 3D, and the high resolution of the textures makes it appear all the more convincing.

Holy shit, the OG Xbox was way too ahead of the competition.

Skyboxes are a lost art

To build up on my previous post, check out just how superior the lightning and character models are on the XB compared to the PS2.

I don't watch whatever the fuck you're talking about. I just remembered playing the demo on my PS3 and it being crazy looking.

there's some inconsequential frame drops in the cutscene, the game largely keeps a playable 30fps, but you're just denying the work put into making the game look as good as it does. That said, there are other more visually impressive games on the system. Otogi 2, PGR2, Magatama, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory just to name a few.

Don't forget Phantom Dust, it even has cape physics.

and some elaborately destructible environments. The classic Xbox is full of great looking games, not to mention many games that run at 720p and look gorgeous to boot. The Warriors on the Xbox is a world apart from the PS2 release.

You don't have to pretend, user. You're among friends.

It was a shitty locked down PC, what do you expect? Comparing it to the PS2 isn't fair, compare it to a fucking mid-range PC at the time spoiler: it gets shit on.

No seriously, the only thing I know about RLM are the gifs people post.

The GameCube and Xbox were way ahead of their time.

I need to emulate the GC, wish I could emulate the Xbox. I could probably JTAG my 360 and play OG Xbox games in it though. Never did play it much when I was younger.

not really shit on. A lot of the things that run on the original Xbox require much more power to run on the PC. It's also really not locked down much at all if you know a thing or two about modding.

you are best off running the games on an original xbox.

JTAG doesn't work for that iirc, i have an RGH'ed one and most OG games run fine.

Then what the fuck do I do to run backups? I don't wanna buy an OG due to the lack of HDMI.

OG Xbox honestly looks fucking surreal, I thought I was still running the 360 for a second. Seriously, everything in it looks SO fucking sharp. It beats the Wii tenfold.

God damn it NO!!!!!
Fuck! It seems I'll have to do that then.
Thank you for the redpill

RGH my dude, get someone to chip your console for you. Then its just as simple as using FSD to load backups you downloaded.

Do I really need to RGH a fat model though? I can do it myself, I just wanted to do the JTAG because it was more recommended on the older model, unless that's changed then fuck me.

embed related (around :35), lots of games have issues like JSRF and time splitters future perfect. The original Xbox is also pretty flexible with some of the upgrades you can pull off, but I do think it's best kept simple such as upgrading the IDE cable and the hard drive.

mah nigga

Damn. So it's possible, but no longer recommended with a JTAG.

Thank you for this knowledge user. I'll need to spark my soldering skills once more.

Oh yeah, the fat model is a bitch, just go for JTAG then but you'll he grounded about what you can do.

The emulation is truly not perfect but some other games such as Live & Reloaded look just fine. It's a good solution if you don't want to spend a cent and it works as a all-in-one device.

343 and their contractors are actually just as good as bungie is at skyboxes, it's one of the few areas they've done just as well as bungie did with

Nah, 2 and CE haven't aged that well, even compared to other games from the same year or the year after they don't look nearly as well

It's only 3/wars/odst/reach that really hold up

fortunately original xbox modding requires no soldering, just a usb female to xbox usb cable, a copy of splinter cell, and maybe 10 minutes to let the softmod installer do its thing. From there, it's FTP heaven, transferring games to the hard drive, upgrading the hard drive and running nice emulation suites like coinops.

an original xbox, the rca component cables, and an upgraded HDD + the stuff needed to mod it are pretty inexpensive. Maybe it'll cost someone like 50, 60 bucks? Just gotta be smart, yard sales and thrift stores are a solid place to look for an xbox.

The JTAG seems easier than an RGH though, but tell me more about the features RGH has over it.

I know OG doesn't need soldering, but I've been meaning to hack the 360 for years now. So I might as well fuck two birds with one dick.

I wanted to do a PS3, but apparently power consumption is retardedly high for it (fridge levels of power), so I won't get it.

After modding a PS3, you mean? I haven't heard anything about the power consumption changing. If anything I'd keep a PS2 for PS2 games, even for PS1 games perhaps, and just use the PS3 for PS3 by using a modded slim - which does have lower power draw.

RGH works across more boards and is safer, it has a slower load time though.

Stock. Hell, if anything. Hacked would SAVE me power with advanced settings.

How slow? 2 seconds slower, if it's more than 20-30, then I will definitely get the RGH.

or this
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/vgm/5861087367.html
This seems like a steal, what do you think?

That is a steal indeed, i would go for it. You are getting a lot for it. By load times i meant booting up the console, it takes up to 3 mins to boot sometimes.

Thank you. I'll contact him, also, what the fuuuuuuck!?!? Thats horse shit.

What is RGH speed then? Three seconds compared to JTAG's MINUTES!? For gods sake, and I thought n3DS's boot times were bullshit.

Those are RGH's minutes. Tha's what you get when avoiding RROD.

What the hell, that's horrible. Please tell me you have an outdated chip, I don't want to wait 3 damn minutes every time I power off/reset the shitty console.

Does the 360 make a fucking cryptic key that the soldered chip has to try to crack every time or what!? God damn, I can't imagine the horrors of waiting with a JTAG.

Sometimes its as fast as an unmodded one, other times it may take longer for no reason. Reset does not effect anything though.

I'm gonna risk it, it seems like the one I linked has all the bells and whistles. It seems like it's shittily optimized, but as long as it doesn't break the console, I'm good.

I wonder how PS4 piracy is, I heard I needed a Raspberry Pi to load backups ala Loadiine

Also JTAG is somewhat faster as i said but less safe and by virtue of it being phat only you can get RROD.

So JTAG is like rawdogging and risking getting pozzed, but RGH is like taking longer to get an erection, but having safe sex without risk?

That's a good way to put it.

Yeah I'm positive. Posting Shadow of the colossus doesn't help your case. It's a good looking game but it has no where near the retail of Primal.

Assuming you get the launcher that lets you use a proper aspect ratio (I don't consider this cheating) the game look significantly better than most from 2003. No idea if the PS2 version looks as good when emulated though.

the pc port has some mods too bad it kinda died

Well there's still a few available from the same place as the launcher: sharmods.donutteam.com/

niggers…

Max Payne 2 still looks pretty good

I was playing this game recently but I deleted it at the third level.
I don't mind time trials but every fucking mission in this game is a time trial with a different coat. And the levels are just glorified circuits, all U turns with a shortcut in the middle.

Man, I'd love for this game to magically come out on PC because where as I love the series, I could
ever only get halfway through this one due to the awful frame rate and the horribleness of playing a FPS on a controller.