Feeling old

The older I get, the sadder I feel when thinking of my childhood.

Almost makes me cry. Advanced game technology came with cynicism, bitterness, and feeling tired all the time.

I would do anything to go back.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You have to go back
>>>/reddit/

Shit tier choice of joysticks you have there.

My nigga. I have a USB version of this one.

I just wish I knew whether gaming was objectively shittier now or if I'm just being the same kind of "back in my day" old man I had to listen to as a kid.

yep, every joystick in OP's post would last a week or two of heavy use, at most. 2600 joysticks went to shit quick and the third party ones did even quicker.
The thing about liking old games is, you can just fucking play them. They still run.

It's shittier. There was more ambition and push of technology in the past. The Xbox360/PS3 era marked a push for the GORILLIAN SALES. In order to do this, they had to make consoles accessible & cheap to sell games. So they make sure to not advance console tech and milk them for as long as possible to keep everything cheap. What we have now is stagnation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

It's a bit of both, honestly. On the one hand, video games were made using a different design philosophy back in the mid to late 80's and throughout the 90's. Games were smaller, more obscure, made by smaller teams, and were mostly made by people who were enthusiastic about the medium. Games created back then were innovative for their time and companies weren't afraid of pushing the boundaries of what was expected or possible Zelda II was a totally different game than its predecessor. Creating this game was a risk in the sense that its new design could turn off established players, but Nintendo didn't care. Something like that couldn't happen today without the publisher risking a large amount of potential revenue

On the other hand, there are still some fantastic games being made today, and it's just a matter of finding them. However, the climate of "the video game industry" has changed. Companies are looking for more money and less risk because games are supposedly so expensive to create, and a potentially failed gamble could cost an existing dev team their livelihoods. Video game production has, as a result, become homogenized and stagnant, and consumers are increasingly becoming jaded in response.

It's shit, but some aspects were always shit, it's just that you never noticed.

Amiga master race.

Joystick thread? Post your Flightsticks/Joysticks/Penis here

Lies, all lies

ah yes those times where you bought a PC and it already couldn't run any new games after 2 years

there was a reason why people still played DOS games in 2004

There's a reason why people still play 80 and 90s games in 2016. And it's not because they can't run newer games.

Yes people were smart enough to know they don't need the newest technology to have fun with their computer and only replaced their hardware every 5 years.

There have always been shit games and great games, the main difference is that the AAAs of 20 years ago were generally good while the AAAs of today generally aren't.
Just put in a little effort and you will find plenty of great games still being made today.

Not even close, not a single game even remotely similar to Darklands, Sacrifice, M&M, HoMM etc gets made today.

Just don't read the internet and things will seem good again. Your brain gets fucked up reading so many strong opinions online, makes everything feel like a fight for freedom. It really isn't like that. It's just internet culture.

>>>/r9k/