Games that blew the budget

So I'm very surprised to find out that the Deadpool game had a budget of 100 million dollars.
Now I actually enjoy the game for what it was but i'll admit that it's mediocre.

what the hell did they spend this budget on? is Nolan North that fucking expensive?
I thought them blowing the budget was just a joke in the game. I didn't think they actually did blow all the money.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're joking, right? That game didnt look like it even had much of a budget.

I have no fucking clue either, but at least it was fun.

The Deadpool license duh

Deadpool might be a mediocre game, but it sure is a master piece when it comes to this sort of things. No idea where the budget could have go. The visuals are pretty so maybe that?

I'm just having a really hard time believing it

GTA4 and Red dead redemption had 100 million budgets.
The Deadpool movie had a 58 million budget.

everything about this game screams low budget. it doesn't make any sense.

Didnt this game release for $29.99? Maybe i'm remembering wrong.

I'm pretty sure it launched at 60 dollars, or $40.

Maybe they lived in some expensive neighbourhood? Maybe they had too much employees to pay? I really dont know.

FOUR MILLION DOLLARS

google says it was $49.99 on the PS3 and Xbox 360 ($39.99 on PC).

I was sad when I heard high moon studios closed I liked the transformers games.
but after learning about this I don't feel bad for them anymore.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Did Homefront cost that much to make? It really doesnt show considering the single player is less than 4 hours long.

They're based in San Diego. All these indie game studios start up in some expensive-ass place in California to be with their hipster friends instead of realizing how terrible of a business plan that is.

Californians aren't known to be the most intelligent people though.

I mean to say

Ya know, if Disney didn't ruin Star Wars, I feel like they could have made a really good story out of TOR. But instead, we got weird shit that no one wants.

Alright, is there a couple of zeroes missing from that development cost or something? Haven't played the game, but that simple "~$500" it's listed as feels pretty off compared to the others being in at least tens or hundreds of thousands.

How does this even fucking work?

Surely it doesn't cost that much prodcuing commercials

I think Desolate Hope was just a passion project by one guy. It's by the FNAF creator and it's free.

$500 MILLION US DOLLARS
75% OF THE GAME CUT AND SOLD AS DLC

The only non overpriced game on that list is serious sam 3, and it was shit.

the 500 million figure is for the franchise, not the game. The game was only 140 million

Nah, it's easy to see why Skullgirls cost that much. The animations in that game have an absurd amount of frames, and they are all hand drawn, and there's just a general extreme amount of polish

Ah, well in that case, it's different if it's a personal project, as those eat up more time than money, I suppose. Still, it ought to be marked as such, or maybe have another personal project like Cave Story there for comparison.

Bungo shill, pls go.

Talking about budget, Bethesda games must be the some of the most under budgeted games ever. $85 million bucks for skyrim, and I guess 90% of those are spent on celeb VA's and massive marketing instead of the actual game.

Nope it cost $500, he already had the program to make the game and did everything in his spare time. The $500 was purely to buy licensed music tracks from third parties.

It does if you want them on every ad break during prime time. Same shit with Evolve. All the money in marketing.

Not really. They've literally used the same engine since Morrowind with no difference. Graphics have been the worst garbage ever since and we all know the story went to absolute dogshit.

Beth games are way over budget for the quality they represent.

I'm talking about the development cost, not the whole budget. The development budget must've been strict for skyrim.

Yeah that single level designer, 2 graphical artists and one writer should have gotten way more than 85 million.

fuck you.

How much was the budget for the Transformers TPS games? Because those looked pretty amazing compared to deadpool.

Nice, I just finished my first playthrough of that game. It's really well done, and I find it hard to believe that this no name dude makes much better music than whatever fucking hack was hired for MN9's music.
Best part is that the music has this one element that's present throughout most of the tracks.

What the fuck is reddit spacing?

Also, i'm not damage controling anything, i'm just posting facts. I don't see how it costing 140 instead of 500 makes the game any less of a shitshow.

Do people actually ever buy games due to that shit?

Its the main driving factor in what drives sale. Well that and brand recognition. Stuff gets constantly shown to you if you view normal internet ads or watch tv, most of it looks fairly entertaining so people buy.

85 million includes paying VA's and marketing. Considering the huge marketing for skyrim and max von sydow, I wonder how much they invested into the actual game.

What fucking VA's? Not one VA in Skyrim stood out and I realized reading the credits that Stephen Russel(Garrett from Thief) was voicing at least 5 characters.

Oh, Fuck♂You sjw man.

I liked it, too, but I can easily see why other people didn't. It was hyped to hell and back during the lead up to Matrix Reloaded, and a ton of people only just got into gaming with the PS2 at the time. This resulted in a lot of stupid people who thought it was going to be an amazing game where you play as Neo, fight agents left and right, and get to see what happens after the movies. Everyone who actually played games knew to be wary of licensed games and knew that the game was basically just going to show us what Ghost and Niobe were up to during the events of Reloaded. Getting it in the bargain bin long after release also probably kept me from thinking too badly of the game.

Well I guess if you count mods HL2 is good HL2 with SMOD is better than FEAR but otherwise you are correct.

yeah
he played the thieves guild master because reference
no idea who else he voiced

Licensing, voice acting, and marketing are the three biggest costs for game development. They also contribute nothing to the experience either (sans VAs if you want something "authentic" but they're way overpaid)

Guaranteed they could have done this on $2m-$5m

fuck off scum

Reminds me of Double Fine Adventure paying Elijah Wood 400,000 to VA for that game (out of 3.3 million). Which seem pretty fucking steep and probably could have been spent elsewhere.

Don't you miss the day when the devs (like Rare) just had there own employees voice their characters, even in "serious" games like Perfect Dark.

even capcom brings back old teams to do random voiceacting

The producers most often than not are siphoning money from the companies into their own pockets by making games.

That's why they go out of business and has these huge budgets that they don't need. It's not like they are paying their workers big salaries either.

Why spend 200 million when they basically had free marketing based on the "controversy" of the No-Russian mission.

He may not have been getting paid to make this game, but he spent time working on the game that he could have spent working on a paying job, and I really doubt he finished that game in 40 hours of work (at my wage).

Homefront is pretty famous for being a boondoggle. Poorly managed projects cost a fortune.

ON TOP OF THAT
You can't assume that the entire budget of a kickstarter game is just the total that game received from the community.
The projects probably were also partly paid for by the original creator, by as much as they could afford. The community contribution is not the entire budget.
Like Freedom Planet, for example.

What do you think creates the controversy? Marketing.

Then you had a generation of dipshits who grow up aspiring to be a "voice actor" because its a celebrity position in japan. Didn't they try to pull some union bullshit?

People on Holla Forums still don't know that projects like these are fronts for money laundering?

fucking how
it was absolutely trash

It was a shiny turd though. Ran on toasters whilst looking good.
I bet they got some top tier animators for that movie.

The fact that this pile of shit is so forgotten it wasn't even mentioned in the thread so far speaks volumes about the magnitude of this fucking disaster.

Read the thread nigger.

OP is a retarded faggot. News at 11.

Even then, those are estimates because budgets are a very closely guarded secret in the industry. There was talk Gran Turismo 5 cost Sony $150 million before marketing and the $60 million number was to stop investors from freaking out and demanding to know what the hell was going on.

But thats illegal so it doesnt happen :^)

stop this meme

What about that Halo MMO? $90 million and it never saw the light of day. Then Fable Legends, $75 million wasted. Microsoft wasted $165 million and didn't even bat and eyelid.

Mighty No.9 is pathetic, true, but Dragon's Crown was not REMOTELY a million dollars worth.

NOT
REMOTELY
1 MILLION DOLLARS

God tier 2D art is pretty hard to do, famalam

You know how expensive 2D art is?

Did we play the same game?

You're right, it's easily worth $100 million.

Never heard of it happening in Japan, sounds more like America.

Hah. Nice!

I also hear they wanted to do a handpainted style, even though they couldnt afford it. Yet they did it anyways.

The engine and the excessive marketing. They actually reused a fair bit of the work they did on the engine for GTAV. Also it wasn't terrible. If the truly idiotic amount of cutscenes had been removed it would have improved but the writing would still be ass.