Megaman

I want to understand, and classify, how the megaman fanbase is divided in terms of games that they like, and what elements of the various series they "attach" themselves to.
This is what i managed to understand so far.

Classic Megaman fans:

-Obviously, childhood nostalgia
-Tight platforming
-Tight execution
-Extremely skill based in general
-Getting new powers every time you defeat a boss
-In love with the simple, core gameplay of the entire series much more than any other fanbase

Megaman X fans:

-Sick ass spritework
-Very colorful
-Less platforming but still important
-More interested in the plot
-A lot of memorable moments and highlights
-Love to replay the series over and over again for both comfort and the satisfaction of getting more efficient at clearing them

Megaman Zero fans:

-Really like Zero as a character
-Very involved in the lore and consider MMZ plot to be very important and well crafted
-Love slashing things up close and personal over shooting them
-Still like platforming but more fast paced
-Extremely punishing gameplay, like to repeat levels over and over until they get it just right
-Don't overlap too much with classic and X megaman fans due to a very different artstyle and overall aestetics

Megaman ZX fans:

-Smaller fanbase
-A mix of X and Z fans but mostly Z fans due to the artstyle
-Pleases both people that want ranged combat and melee combat but melee combat has an edge and better feedback (thus attracting more MMZ fans)
-Less difficult, more of a feelgood type series
-Are really into the "obtaining powers from bosses" element much more than the rest of the other fanbases and it's their main hook

Please feel free to correct me on what i got wrong, i'm trying to understand how all these pieces fit together.
Also please feel free to add more megaman series i'm not familiar with, and what their fans like in them.

Megaman battle network.

Cool ass music, and my favorite fighting system of any rpg. I like the character designs too. Megaman starforce is similar int his case, but not nearly as good as MMBN.

Men above men, fine and exquisite taste in vidya and best Roll. Knows that gameplay and OST go above everything else
A middleground of taste. Probably edgy children into shonen anime and modern sonic.
See above but worse
Waifufags and people who cant get good at platformers.
Metroidvania autists
???

Also on a side note, I really enjoy the plot of both game series.

Is it bad that I enjoy Classic and BN the most?

Forgot
Usually not even Megaman fans, able to appreciate a good game despite its flaws for being an early 3D title. Will forever wait.

What do you enjoy about BN?

are these pictures jojo references?

Mostly the battle system. Folder building, elements, using other characters powers, infinite combo and strategy possibilities and cool as fuck PVP make it into my favorite game series of all time.

The Zero games are my favorite in the series, but really, the entire franchise is great for the most part. Later entries X is fucking garbage though (though X8 was fine).

Being a ZX fan I'd say that's pretty alright. I like how it does away with Z's crystal grinding/crafting/elf system/extremely strict ranking and the variety of transforming completely into other characters.

Starforce: People who enjoy a nice comfy RPG series with a plot that's basically a superhero plot.

Aile is love.
Aile is life.

The third one is a really good one too, the second is awful.

>Volnutt's been on the moon for almost 17 years.

Any info on the Command Mission and Legends fanbases?
(Is command mission considered part of X? but i doubt they share the same fanbase tho)

It's just run & gun. Easy to pick up & play. Has the most clones / romhacks. Generally split between people who like games after 3 and people who don't.
Collectathon shit. Collect hearts, sub tanks, mechs. Player character becomes very powerful, to the point that X gets ultimate armors starting X4. (X3 if you count gold armor.) Dashing means it's generally faster than classic. Playing as Zero. Some cool boss designs. Most fans usually pretend certain parts of the series don't exist.
Unforgiving bosses. Weapon variety between games in the form of rod weapons. Cutting robots in half as Zero is about as close as you can get to "badass" in the franchise. No fanbase split.
Zero fans who like to play as the guardians (biometals.) No one likes playing as the other bosses. Also casualized Zero fans as there is no ranking, and player characters are stronger again. No one is into MegaMan games (of any franchise) for the plot. It's awful by any metric. The Zero and BN/SF series are fortunate to have conclusions. The rest are not.

You mean among Zero fans?
While they all play all the games, there's a part of the Zero fanbase that really hates MMZ4 and thinks it should've stopped at 3.
It's not as heated as something like classicvania vs metroidvania but it's a small separation, i suppose.

I dunno, these games were kinda one-off. They're so unique from the original series you either like them or you don't, irregardless of how you feel about megaman (X).

I liked the story, fuck you.

Command Mission is part of X, it's the furthest in the timeline, after X8. There haven't been any other entries since, so who the fuck knows if there is anything between it and the Zero series.

I thought the idea was neat, but it was awfully executed. Also, it's cheap that you transform into the enemy + the biometal instead of just changing the biometal to transform yourself like ZX did.

I disagree strongly. The plot is cool, it's ok to only like gameplay which is really damn cool and a classic, but the story adds to it, there's no reason not to like it.

I wish X was good.
I mean it is good, but most of the series is obviously rushed and could be so much more.
Are there any good X fangames or clones?

Starforce would be more for people who liked multiplayer as this series of games cashed in on it's multiplayer so hard they had tournaments for it call wave masters or something.

It was always interesting to see matches in this play out because compared to BN since there wasn't lettering tied to chips you could do a lot more with customizing the card you play with especially around starforce 3.

Now you're making me remember my old idea of many years ago.
A ZX multiplayer focused game with 4 player co-op and dynamic form switching of every character (or maybe you pick a character and they can switch into 4 forms unique to that character).

But the reason why i had forgotten this idea is that Castlevania: Harmony of Despair came out and it was such a clusterfuck that sorta made me lose hope for this type of metroidesque co-op game even if it was just a vague concept in my mind.

From the Mega Man fans I've talked to, it seems to be similar to the Street Fighter fanbase in some respects.

Classic = Super Street Fighter II Turbo
They love the simple, yet perfect, formula and don't want it to become over complicated for no reason.

X = Street Fighter Alpha series
They are able to overlook it's sloppiness(compare to the above at least) because it's basically the above on meth and they love the rush.

Z = Third Strike
They love it because it's difficulty, complexity, and depth really caters to their autism.

I don't know anything about ZX. I've never met anyone who likes those games and have never played them myself.

eventually

People usually talk about them on the megaman threads.
I would recommend trying them out. They're certainly fun

I love classic megaman, beat 1 through 7 (8 kept crashing and I don't have a Wii to play 9 and 10) but never played any of them until recently.

Why? it's the best one in the series. I haven't played a Mega Man to completion outside of the Zero series. Classic Mega Man is pretty fun, Battle Network bored me. Network Transmission is weird with how chips work, need to give it another shot

Hello, fellow gamers. I see you like Mega Man games. If you are a true Mega Man fan you should give Mighty Number 9 a try, it's an spiritual succesor of the series and, in some aspects, better than the original game.

These are the common complaints i've seen:

-Fucks up the plot that was meant to be left alone in Z3
-Is too easy compared to other Z games
-The way the elf system works it makes the game even easier

Ina-chan, we both know you didn't give a single fuck shit MM9 and your true pet project was Gunvolt.
Except you also fucked up Gunvolt because you made the gameplay unfun and the original plan was to make Copen the protagonist, and Gunvolt the main antagonist, wich would've been a decent idea and the gameplay would've been a bit more fun, too, but you didn't even have the balls to go trough with it because you had this crazy notion that making the game slightly less conventional would've resulted in less sales.
Fucking idiot.

Gunvolt? More like ifuckeditupbecauseidon'tknowhowtomakegoodvideogamesanymorevolt.

Just like Sonic Megamix, huh.

I miss Megaman X more than any of the others

I think Gunvolt is even worse than Mighty no. 9

No way, MN9 is broken on a core level and straight up a defective product.
Gunvolt isn't fun and it's level design is mediocre, but that's about it.
It tries to be to Z and ZX, what ZX was to Z, but it lacks a competent team, good ideas and fun gameplay so all that's left is a sort of half assed fart that isn't fun to play.
But if you think it's worse than MN9 you're absolutely batshit crazy.

Except it has some of the hardest platforming in the entire franchise?

You're right. I guess I just hate the "indirect buster" shit way more than the "buster and dash"

Gunvolt really bummed me out it looked so fucking good and then 5 minutes into playing it I just couldn't anymore.

That's precisely the problem and why it hurts so much.
It LOOKS good, it LOOKS fun and fast, but the gameplay isn't there.
It's all smoke and no meat.
They've been very slowly improving with 2 so maybe by the 4th or 5th title we'll get something that's at least decent to play, assuming they manage to survive for that long.

I don't get why though it's still inticreates. Did they lose a bunch of people or did they just put out a bad game like with FF2?

How about you go fuck yourself.
I liked how, overall, there is a trend of technology getting more complex, the more severe the problems caused by the tech become.

The problems in the classic games are pretty much a disgruntled engineer makes robots go berserk and build himself an evil fortress.
Sure, you can send Rock in there to stop him, but you could also just as easily bomb the fuck out of Dr Wiley fortress with him inside and write him off as a lost cause.

The X games however have a certain degree of escalation with them.
If day of sigma is true, then before the first game there are already issues but they are being managed pretty well, some reploid go haywire and reploids are sent in to destroy them. Then Sigma catches a virus and suddenly all of humanity is at risk of being killed.
A fucking computer virus from 100 years ago.
In X, X2, and X3 IIRC the chaos is pretty much isolated to just reploids but in X4 humans are killed when a fucking floating city crashes into a non floating city. See the problem here is the fact that there are floating cities.
And to make matters worse there is a space station that is built with the goal of killing all humans.
Then in X5, the surface of earth is rendered uninhabitable for humans.
X6 and beyond are superfluous.

Then comes Zero, the world is finally at peace, reploids and humans are living side by side in peace in their post apocalyptic desert world.
Then there is an energy crisis.
And shit gets worse, now humans and reploids are living in shitty times barely able to make a living. And X decided to ascend to the next level of consciousness [progression of technology] and nobody is around to fill in his oversized dashing boots.
Except a copy that can't even do a very good job.
Then the copy, and a fifth of X's body gets destroyed by Zero who probably still doesn't know what he is fighting for.
Then in Zero 2 a reploid uses the resistance as his own personal army to become an all powerful dictator.
Then in Zero 3 a human makes a copy of the X copy and becomes a dictator.
There are literally 2 population centers left on earth and neither of them can find a decent leader because X decided it was his time to upgrade into a cyberfairy.
To cut things short, guess what the Zero series ends with? Another space station almost destroying all of humanity. Who'd a thunk space stations were so deadly.

ZX seems really nice by comparison to Zero, after all they have plants now, and they have managed to get the whole equal status citizenship issues squared away.
And they did it by enhancing the bodies of humans to be more robot like
Hurray for technological progress.
Oh wait, now humans can fuse with the souls of robots and wreck havoc on the world.

Based on the backstory of legends it can be assumed that at some point all humans were left on a space colony led by the ubermensch who was likely some sort of Frankenstein monster. Then all of humanity goes extinct and the closest thing left to humans left are these robots called carbons. But hey no humans, so no more of the problems that were being caused by the conflict between humans and robots anymore, but wait the humans have a doomsday system set up on a clock to kill all the carbons.
From the moon. Yet again death from space.

I've probably just rambled angerly on about nothing but fuck it im posting it.

Yeah MM plot can be interesting, that guy clearly had no idea what he was talking about.
Overall i see it as a decent '90 cartoon show kinda plot with heavier undertones and more interesting elements once you read up all the small details about it.

This. I never played any Mega Man games until really recently when I've been marathoning them all. Classic is best. X a shit. Zero is the biggest mary sue in video games and literally shows up just to beat bosses for you and tell you how much better he is than you. It's like "nigga, I just saved your ass for the third or fourth time. I wanted to kill that boss. I didn't need your help."

Meanwhile, the Classic series has actual good stories that don't hit you over the head with hilariously hamfisted garbage about mega man whining for a peaceful future and shit. Mega Man II on Game Boy still has the best plot in the whole series. It's just subtle about it so it doesn't get in the way.

every fucking time

I didn't even get autistic for Quint here. I just needed to point out what a Mary Sue Zero is.

Also I don't care for the collectathon nature of X quite as much as the simpler nature of Classic. but I still like X's gameplay and can see how it appeals to others. Just the story is totally shit.

>tfw played the MegaMan Legends on Project 64
That game was the definition of comfy.

How? Most armor parts or subtanks are easily accessible or in plain sight. When you get the dashboots, you don't really need to collect anything else, besides the maverick powerups.

Probably shouldn't have played past X4, dude.