I'm confused as to why Zero Mission is considered worse than the original

I'm confused as to why Zero Mission is considered worse than the original.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Autism

I think I only saw one person who thought that. He had shit arguments like "Ledge grabbing makes it casual shit"

I've heard people go as far as saying the original is the best Metroid game period because it didn't have a map, which according to them, made it feel more like an adventure.

Have you played the original?

it's a great game, is a lot more fun to replay, especially with the harder difficulty, and i don't rank it worse than the original, but it's not a replacement by any means. it's sort of like how The Twin Snakes added more gameplay mechanics, but didn't adjust to make the game challenging. here they added more QOL improvements like maps and saves but didn't adjust to force exploration and experimentation.

gameboy metroid is unplayable

If you aren't playing it on a small handheld screen, you are doing it wrong. Also G E T G O O D.

A U T I S M

rose tinted goggles

doesn't explain the shit gameplay, but k

I would say that Zero Mission is worse because it turns the game into a linear experience by telling you precisely where to go, presumably, to curb how confusing Metroid 1 was. Super Metroid never told me where to go or what to do and yet I never got lost so I think the simple act of giving backgrounds to the world was enough to make it easily navigable.

from an out of universe POV, it's a good thing. because you won't be going back and forth as much, just a quick look at where you are an where you were and where you're heading makes everything easier, cleaner, and casual friendly.
from an in universe POV, it's just like real life. Better map out unknown areas so you know later on where the fuck you're going.
I mean fuck, we mapped out the world, why wouldn't Samus map out areas she's in?

Here's some linear games:
Metroid 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3
Other M

They all have one thing in common: Railroading.
They force you into one set path. (prime 3 less so)
Zero Mission is much more open ended than Metroid 1 will ever be.
Also, the majority of statues are skippable.

Dude, you can't exorcize autism out of a kid with a conversation.

So would you like Grand Theft Auto without a map too?

Grand Theft Auto isn't about exploring an uncharted cave world.
Learning to find your way in Metroid, and perhaps finding yourself lost, is part of the challenge.

Getting lost in the middle of a fucking city is stupid. The city is not some unexplored hostile habitat.

I prefer my Metroid games with maps, but that was just stupid.

I can understand that mindset. Not having a map in an exploration game can be a big enhancement to the experience, in the same way that having hunger/thirst/sleep needs in a survival game can be.
It's not always better, though. I actually prefer Super in part because of its handy map system.

On the other side of things, not having a map really did make Legacy of the Wizard a fantastic adventure for me. It took me about 10 hours through the first time, and learning that enormous and obtuse maze was strangely part of the fun.

I think I probably prefer map systems like La-Mulana, where you first start out with no map, then you get a basic map, and then you slowly discover map upgrades that reveal more information as you get further into the game. That has a nice mix of DIY and hand-holding to make you feel nice from both sides of the spectrum.

I think mapless metroid would be better if the game wasn't full of tunnels that look exactly the same.
And, actually, Super and Zero did both fix that. You could definitely play those games mapless way easier than the original mapless Metroid itself.

To think there are retards who complained about backtracking in Metroid Prime, I'm sure they had the time of their lives in Zero when they tried to get 100% in only a couple of hours (specially when they realized they could still explore the whole map after getting the full powered armor)

Anyway, yes, I don't like the handholding but it doesn't make the game linear and it can be ignored anyway.

There's a set of ROMhacks for Metroid that add saving and a map.

Yeah, this is a good point. Legacy of the Wizard has an enormous map, but each room is unique looking and there are many highly distinctive rooms that serve as landmarks.

Only autist reasons
Don't use it
What the fuck is the problem with this?
I don't think is more linear than Metroid

It also has beautiful graphics, a kick-ass soundtrack and is longer than the original game. Whenever someone asks how should a remake be I think of two games: Metroid and Resident Evil, they both kept the core mechanics, the difficulty (they're harder in some cases), made the game really good looking and added extra zones and stuff to do.

I'm confident in saying that's shit nobody sane ever said, especially considering the original was included in Zero Mission.

Anyone who thinks zero mission is in any way linear clearly hasn't played it. It's literally designed to be sequence broken and there's only like 7 items you ever need to get.

To be better it doesn't have to be the best on a world where only those two games exist, it only has to be better at doing things other games don't. Metroid 1 doesn't talk to me, doesn't hold my hand, and I grew up back then so I'm used to the stuff it does badly.

Metroid 1 is a cool game that hasn't aged well. ZM is just another game. ZM kind of resembles that cool game from long ago but it doesn't do all the stuff that made it special, so it cannot replace it. I'd be surprised if more people do in fact think M1 is better and suspect you just heard one autist on a forum somewhere, and have such low reasoning skills that you cannot figure out why one autist might like a less well-designed game that fills a slightly different void.

What? Only a complete retard would consider such a thing.

Couldn't have summed up this post better myself

What I want in a Metroid 1 remake is simple.

I want a map, but a "build it yourself" map, either by literally giving you graph and legend in game to toy with or by mapping it out as you go and the ability to shoot every way like in Super Metroid. These are literally the only improvements I can think of for Metroid 1. I don't mind passwords, and I don't mind the vagueness of it. That's all I want.

yes but in the real world you have memorable topography, geographic sign post and other tool's and standards of measurements. When you are playing the original Metriod its 16 colors and a handful of tiles.

It's not, only dumb beaners think like that.

I almost think the people who complain about ZM being linear are supposed to be talking about Fusion, but because they've never played either game they just want to show off what gaming connoisseurs they are by parroting the same knee-jerk response that "all remakes are casualized trash, originals are better"

Hey remember that railroaded mandatory stealth section? Remember all of those statues that tell you where to go? Surely you do, since you've played the game.

romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
Looks good to me.

Are you autistic?

If I were it would be fortunate that Zero Mission tells you exactly where to go since I'm too retarded to find my way around on my own and video games are hard

And that's nothing compared to the linearity of Fusion. You're just autistic, and mad nobody cares about you.

it's not, stop listening to nostalgiafags.

And nobody's talking about Fusion, and even if they were, it wouldn't excuse the changes made between the original and the remake, and you're just trying to kick the can down the road so people will stop being mean to your favorite game.
And you're just samefagging

Remember how it's a very small portion of the game, and that you can go back and explore that area at your leisure?

Remember that you aren't forced to follow them beyond the same kind of progress barriers found in Super?

It was brought up earlier.
You're just mad nobody likes your old game that's game that's aged like milk, is already gimped from it's Japanese version, and isn't as playable as its remake. Nobody cares what you think.
He said while getting more autistic and mad that others are being mean to his favorite game.
We have IDs lil' autist

Wow

Actually, nevermind. I just tested it and it shows the whole map right from the very start of the game. That's some bullshit. I'd rather play with no map.

The only statue you can't skip is the first one. After that you can go directly to the bombs and missiles and you're free to go literally anywhere before tourian.

Do you know what other game did that, without needing any caveats?

The same technical maneuvers are there, barring bugs and exploits, those things that should be fixed in subsequent games.

Can't be the original Metroid, as you have to grab the morphball before you can travel more than a few screens to the right.

Do you need attention?

I don't know user. I can sorta understand why someone wouldn't like Zero Mission. Its better then Fusion but its still shittier then Super Metriod. At least the Original has a simplistic untainted charm to it even though it's ultimately trash compared to Super Metriod.

He's probably not white. don't upset him.

There are few remakes that so entirely miss the point of the original as Zero Mission.

The original is not very fun to play for the first time but gets better on repeat playthroughs once you know what you're doing, it's also pretty linear unless you use gamebreaking glitches inb4 that one fag compares wrapping through the fucking ceiling to simple movement tricks like in SM

ZM feels is closer to fusion but doesn't force you into full-on linearity, there's specific points of the game you have to do in a specific order but you still have a lot of choice in how you handle it unlike fusion, the ledge grab thing is autistic it never stops you from going for stupid IBJ / DIBJ routes if you want to pretend you're hardcore.

You know you can get the ice beam and super missiles pretty much as soon as you start, go throighnorfair backwards and kill ridley then kraid, all without the varia suit?

I actually didn't

Ice beam is easy if you can bomb jump. Sorry you do get the varia suit along the way; but it has a different "puzzle" with the plant eating bugs because of routes and triggers.

Supers can be gotten with early speed booster and shinespark abuse in chozo ruins, but my route usually gets them from deep norfair (not from the bug boss). Theres a square room thats intended as exit-only from ridleys area but if you know the map you can bomb/walljump through it creatively.

The long beam is also optional

I've never heard anyone argue that. And why compare them in the first place, the ZM uses shit from the sequels to the series that have advanced technology and controls so it makes the gameplay more enjoyable, but the exploration less challenging.

All Metroids are great games (maybe not Prime 3, which is still good)

Never heard anyone say that ever. The one thing that the original has over ZM is the exploration. ZM holds your hand tightly like the ADD ridden child that you are and shoves you through the game safely. Where as the original, you have to explore & discover everything yourself.

that's not a metroid game

Why did you post a blank image, user? It looked like you had an image reply there.

IDs were a mistake.

Is the Metroid 2 remake any good?

its fine