Why was Absolution bad?

I'm new to Hitman and I happen to also be an idiot. Absolution was my first Hitman game and I thought it was pretty alright. However, that seems to be the complete opposite case with other people who have played the series beforehand. A lot of them say Blood Money is the best one, but I haven't gotten all that far in it to really appreciate it as much as I should.

I'm also hearing Hitman, or HITMAN™, is surprisingly good. I dropped interest as soon as I saw it was episodic, but apparently once you turn off the handholding 'character can see through walls because it's a stealth game made nowadays and thinking is frustrating' mechanic and the objectives pop ups, it becomes good. So I've heard, grain of salt.

But what I want to know is why was Absolution so terrible? What makes HITMAN™ so much different than Absolution? Journalists didn't like it, and the fanbase sure as hell didn't, but I can't find any real concrete breakdown of why. Can someone help me out on this?

Yes, I know the story was shit, but I need to know why exactly.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qHnOTig8N0c?t=9m56s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

online leaderboards, broken as fuck disguises, DLC bullshit, Square-Enix having bought Eidos at that point. The list could go on

that's only the icing tho
absolution was an abomiation

Yeah, go on. I'm asking you to do so. Explain why the disguises were broken, why the DLC was bullshit.

TELL ME WHY YOU VAGUE FUCK

Except the entire game is designed around it and it becomes either a frustrating mess or something else entirely if you do.

Hitman has evolved to become a murder puzzle more than a stealth game. The mechanics imply that he's a master at social stealth. An evil James Bond if you like.
Absolution didn't understand that and wanted some kind of dramatic adventure game with hardline sneaky stealth. Like a handicapped Sam Fisher.

This is where the argument "it's a good game, just not a good hitman game" stems from. Which is a shit argument, considering if you set out to make a certain thing and end up making something else, you failed.

dropped the game after few missions, don't know any more
also, memory might be hazy

that's just retard for "I have to justify why I like to eat shit"

They simply don't work.
Say you want to infiltrate a cop station, what do you do? You disguise yourself as a cop right?
Except every cop knows every cop in the fucking district and will investigate up close unless you hold the shitty instinct meter.
No no, what you have to do is kill the old trusty janitor, who happens to be the only one in the building and everyone is familiar with, and nobody will bat an eye when you come marching by wearing his uniform.

They tried to make it realistic, but instead just broke it.

They'd need to go case by case for each disguise and scenario to make that system work. It makes sense that that the small town cops would all know each other and notice a stranger. In Chicago during an APB that makes less sense.

Another big issue I had with the game is how silly it makes the agency out to be. Previous games implied it was a network of contract killers around the world but Absolution makes them look like a huge PMC, leveling buildings and dispatching soldiers to public places. And don't get me started on the killer nuns

were the killer nuns in the actual game?

There's a level centered around them and if I remember correctly it's one of the better levels in the game. It's nice and open and there are lots of ways you can go about killing them. The problem is you're evading agency soldiers while hunting down killer nuns. It's so detached from the previous games that were all about hiding in plain sight and instead feels like a Splinter Cell Conviction clone

I remember it being more linear and people complaining about the hitman sense button

Ai has always been shit and the new hitmans are nothing new in that aspect.
It really was just an alright game but nothing special which brings out the worst in people because everyone always wants the best in everything game and can't appreciate the merits mediocre ones can have that even great games can miss. They pretty much tried too many new things in hitman absolution without knowing what would actually be good so it came out as a mixed bag

That's just retard for "I can't articulate why something is bad like a big boy and instead cry like a baby and use hyperbole"

aw shit nigger

The story mode in Absolution was super shit. That is because hitman never had much of a story. The studio behind Absolution also did Kane & Lynch which is heavily story based (and it works in that game) but the same angle does not fit for hitman.
However the online mode is actually the only redeeming part of. It lets you basically create and share missions which play like a proper hitman.

I'm disappointed, Holla Forums

fuck you

explanation so retard/marketer understands
Gee, I wonder who's the real retard here

if people are doing market research here, wouldn't it be better to show them what is shit in modern gaming so they can hopefully make better games?
and retards can be taught to not be retards too

That fucking disguise system. The piece of shit can't even be fixed by mods.

Why don't you just play Blood Money?
Takes like 2 seconds to find a working copy and play it.
Why are you wasting your time here instead of playing video games?
Go play fucking video games.
Go play this video game right here, right now.

Stop playing Absolution, and go play Blood Money. Once you're done with Blood Money, go back to playing Absolution. You'll understand then.

Or I can ask people on a imageboard about video games who played both of the games with a lot more critical analysis than I did and who have more of an attachment to the series. This way I can get a better answer than I could come up with even after the hours of research I'd do comparing and contrasting each game manually.

You stupid fricks

But Blood Money is a blast to play, every mission in it is fun as shit. So why not play it and have fun, and see for yourself why absolution is shit. Instead of just asking us to tell you why.

HITMAN™ is what absolution should have been. but you should also play blood money to see where people are coming from

Contracts were cool though

I swear to god these retards.

What do you want, a play-by-play of why the plot is retarded? The plot that involves you going rogue for no reason? The part where none of the levels are joined together with a cohesive reason for being there? The part where the nun-themed kill squad comes and just explodes the small town you're hiding in? Or the part at the end where the whole plot ends up being meaningless anyways, and you're back to status quo?

The other Hitman games didn't have this problem. For a start, they weren't *about* Agent 47. Trying to center the game around some personal story, especially one so poorly told and meaningless, is a dumb idea.

Like that other guy said, you could go play the other Hitman games and think for yourself, or you could sit here and argue with us on a topic you are unqualified to discuss based on your actual experience.

it`s an ok-ish game. Also a shit hitman game. It does to the series what silence of the lambs 2 did to 1.

Well, the basic gist is that eidos montreal thought they could do Human Revolution again. The stealth for both games is pretty similar. But what sort of worked in DXHR didn't work much at all for hitman. Instead of making a new game called deus ex, they changed what wasn't broken. Even if Absolution had done HR again perfectly, it was never going to compare favorably to blood money.
But then they tacked on some seriously terrible ideas, such as the scoring system which chastises you for not going non-lethal ghost at all times and takes all the fun out of the game, scripted cinematic sequences and tiny areas.
Put simply, it was dead on arrival. The idea was never going to work and they burdened it with crap that sucks all the fun out of it to boot.
I thought the create-a-mission multiplayer system had sound design, though obviously unneeded. It'd be neat on a stand-alone MP game.

Disguises are based on instinct.

Stealth as a direct result becomes a cover based distraction affair.

This is not what Hitman is known for, Hitman is known for being almost a puzzle game where you use disguises in large, non-linear arena like environment along with tools and the environment to fuck with the AI in such a way that he ends up dead.

Hitman BM missions are comparable to Oblivion AI routines in that a lot of shit is effectively simulated, and a lot of things are planned out well in advance.
Everything is a working clock, and you are the only possible thing to break it.

Absolution is a hallway of assholes who can spot you unless you throw a rock at a proper place while using cover and vents properly.
It is shit all other stealth games already do, when Hitman 2, Contracts, Blood Money and the new one are almost puzzle games in terms of how they are executed.

Fuck the story, fuck the narrative, fuck everything, Hitman Absolution is a bog standard cover based stealth game where Hitman is meant to be a disguise based "social stealth" simulator.

I remember the first level of Silent Assassin, where you can breach the compound by killing and swapping clothes with the deliveryboy, then manipulating a guard to come after you alone only to kill and swap clothes with him, then you're in. That's one of like six different ways just to get inside, let alone moving through the compound and killing the target.

The lever where you need to get your sillverballers back after selling them was a real pain in the ass. fucking hated the game, but that level was the worst. I didn't even try and play it like a hitman game. I outright killed everyone I saw. The night club level I just open fried and didn't care who I hit.
Fuck that dumb game.

I don't think Blood Money had a single bad level outside the White House and final level.

Silent Assasin unfortunately had many bad levels that seemed like filler. Must add, among very amazing levels.

Yeah, every time I think "high difficulty Hitman" it comes down more to Death to Spies 1 and Hitman 2, not Hitman Absolution.

I actually installed a mod that made it work like old hitman disguises somewhat. It broke the game. You could literally just walk to the end of each mission. It was absurdly easy when disguises actually worked.

They made a disguise SYSTEM as if it was going to be applied to an infinite amount of missions instead of just hand crafting and putting some fucking effort into each mission's disguise properties.

In the library when there's tons of cops from a neighboring state (it even explains they were called in from another state) a disguise there would be great since there are so many cops and barely any of them know each other. However, perhaps the chief would blow your cover if he saw you wearing the uniform of one of the cops from his station. So obviously you'd now just need to stay away from him or wear the uniform from the cops that aren't under his command.

new Hitman is almost better than Blood Money

Okay. Here's 30 minutes of ranting and raving about how retarded a single cutscene is.

No thanks.

They're having a good time poking fun at stupid ass video games that ruined a perfect series. You must be a joy to converse with. It's not a bad video. I'll take any amount of shitting on hitman Abortion

That said you can safely skip a bit into it when they actually start talking about the game.

It's just you faggots who made the video posting here trying to get it some views.
Opened with some Kermit the frog sounding cuck saying the bad guy is sexist for no apparent reason whatsoever other than merely mentioning a woman and that's where I decided to stop watching your faggoty shitty video.

On a year-old video?
And then the other guy tells him to shut up.

Why do people here always jump to conclusion that people posting videos are shilling their own channel? Be it a shitty vid or a good one. Do you think for even a second they're posting a vid they like.

Reloading a save reset guards, their patrols, hidden bodies, etc. People wearing the same uniform as you could recognize you easier; while this made sense, it ended up crippling the disguise system (because your disguise made you more likely to be caught in most scenarios), and you were forced to rely on instinct mode to compensate. The addition of bullshit slow-motion and see-through-walls modes was nothing but casual handholding.
The story was retarded, but I cared much more about the gameplay problems.

Also, for what it's worth, I think Contracts is better than Blood Money. It's a good middle ground between the trial-and-error autism of Silent Assassin and the occasional light handholding of Blood Money.

I wish more games had sluts in latex.

Because I never played it, saw someone on a Holla Forums thread who also didn't play it but hated it because episodic release so I adopted his opinion as my own.

The biggest issue for me and what absolutely ruined Absolution was the scoring system. In previous Hitman games, playing a certain way and doing certain things would always guarantee you a specific rank. Want the highest rank of 'Silent Assassin'? Easy - make sure you finish a level with your suit on, make sure no one sees you, if you have any non-concealable weapons put them in the appropriate drop boxes etc.

In Absolution? That only works for the first few levels. After a while, you'll do all of what previously granted you a 'Silent Assassin' ranking only to walk out with 'Professional'. Why? They decided to change the scoring system from specific objectives to a point threshold. 'Hey faggot, play this level over and over again until you break X score, THEN you get your 'Silent Assassin' rank!"

It was complete bullshit. On top of that, unlike previous Hitman games, there was no consequence for scoring low. In Blood Money for example, yes, you could murder everyone in a level but that would raise your notoriety. The higher the notoriety, the less money you earned to buy upgrades for your weapons and the easier it was for people in a level to recognise you. In Absolution that never fucking happened.

Goddamn I hate Absolution with a fucking passion.

To play devil's advocate, in Blood Money if you murder everyone in the level and destroy all video evidence there won't be any witnesses so you don't gain notoriety.

Play Blood Money.

Absolution had:
-Linear Point A to B maps
-No customizable weapons or loadout for each campaign level like the previous Hitman games did.
-Storyline that didn't change much and it felt out-of-character.
-Dismissed the mysterious bleak atmosphere of the Agency.
-Disguise System was redundant.
-Can only play levels with loudout and customization through the online-enabled Contracts mode.
-Splinter Cell Conviction 2: Electric Bugaloo

I completely forgot about that. Just goes to show how awesome Blood Money really was.

Blood money is too hard though.

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Hitman is made by IO Interactive, in Denmark.

Blood Money was pretty easy most of the time.

I just couldn't crack the mission with Vinny or the one after and I just retarded my way through.

The one where you have to get inside that house crawling with FBI guys? The hardest part is getting inside but after that it's pretty simple.
The one after that is the Madri Gras level which is super fun

Getting inside is pretty easy actually. Grab the donuts, put sedatives in them, go to the FBI fan and give them the donuts. They'll eat the donuts and go unconscious and free FBI uniforms for you

But why did they do that?
Don't we have ass creed for that crap?

Hitman existed before asscreed you fuck

they wouldn't take the donuts from me and I had no knock on the door prompt.

There's also an air soft rifle in a tree-house you can load up with sedative darts from the garage and use it to pick off the CCTV camera around the outside of the house, and then pick off the guard that runs over to check it out. Swap uniforms and you're in.

I couldn't make it to the back of that house without being spotted by the bitch and having her run to the fbi.

The garbage men will allow you to get around the back without them questioning their motives.
Or you can sneak past them and introduce them to a sedative dart.

All of this abstract problem solving hurts my head.

You could also drug the donuts just outside the house, pick up a disguise from the now cleared out FBI van, and just waltz in through the front door that way.

Re-read the post that I replied to initially then re-read my reply then yours.
hint you're a retard

Hitman 2 was a joke re difficulty as the AI was so easily abused. I got bored of the game mid-way and switched to blind speedrunning and there was very little resistance to it.
But then difficulty isn't what I'm looking for in a Blood Money Hitman game, anyway.

You disgust me

Asscreed isn't even that big on social stealth, the crowd's just a fancy cover

I gotta admit I missed little details like this. I hope this game does well so the people who worked on it get a chance to do some more.
I'd actually consider buying the game if it wasn't 60 fuckin' bucks right now, even if it is EPISODIC.

Then again if the levels really are as MASSIVE as I hear I guess I can buy them piecemeal and spend a while tooling about finding all the hidden shit in them one at a time.

Oh my god, you're actually retarded.

The plot was fucking retarded and honestly Agent 47 got his ass kicked where it didn't even make sense.

And some of the meth-hick locations you go to are bland and boring and uninstresting and probably made by a meth-addled homosexual that watched (((Idiocracy))) and thought to spread that nonsensical depiction of Southern America with more Brown and Yellow color filters than that GTA4 expansion. Shit gave me a headache.

Seriously, fuck Absolution. First Chapter was pretty decent but the rest of the game was rushed and poorly conceived to begin with. Play HMBM instead.

Even if you actually quoted that in your OP Hitman was still made before Asscreed

now that`s just add to the experience, It`s devilishly insane to kill everybody on The Murder of Crows, for exemple

Wouldn't it be impossible to stealthily kill everyone, since the crowd just runs out of the map once it goes high alert?

Honestly not just marketers, other people too I'd say. Sure it can get frustrating if you have to tell people the same shit constantly, but it's really through dialogue that we can make a better board for shitposting about chinese cartoons in

That's not my channel. I can shill it if you really want. It's small time as fuck. The views they get would be amazing to me.

Like OP I tried Absolution on a whim despite not having played the prior games. Thought it was fine, but completely understand why people who liked the old murder puzzle stand alone set pieces were pissed.

I refuse to support Squeenix and their always-online single-player bullshit, so I thought it was high time I give Blood Money a shot…

…this shit better be good.

Should I just fuss with WASD, or is the lack of analog not that important?

I haven nothing to contribute

So what's up with this Season pass shit? If I would buy it now, would I get all the content or how does this shit work?

Does it have DRM, is it pirateable?

I looked at the Hokkaido level and got some nice Blood Money feels at least. Level of detail is great.

It uses Denuvo, and as far as I know, it's not one of the cracked Denuvo games. Don't bother with a season pass, just wait until the complete edition comes out in January. They're also planning two more "seasons."

Well seeig as you've played it, do you think that will mean a one or two new "games" or it will just add to the same, using same engine and so on.

I haven't played it, I've just been following the news around it.
Anyway, the complete edition in January is going to have seven "episodes." So the two future "seasons" will probably have a similar number of episodes. I doubt they'll be using a new engine, they'll probably just release them over the course of two years (one for each "season") using basically the same mechanics. That's just speculation on my part, but it's hard to imagine them adopting such a Jewish business model and simultaneously working on a new engine.

its seasons. just gonna be more levels added to the existing game. was originally gonna be the 6 levels but i guess it did well enough that they'll be making more and expanding the game
hokkaido also has a ninja costume that changes your kill/subdue animations and a nothing personnel katana so you can live out your edgelord weeb fantasies

Play everything up to and including Blood Money

They're gonna release a No Really Complete Edition once all three seasons are finished, right?

I fucking hate how a lot of games have to be some sort of service with seasons now. I just want to buy and play a goddamned video game without there being some sort of marketing gimmick.

Yet somehow I'm the faggot for wanting to replicate the original control scheme.

The original Hitman game is only for PC. Every other one after that has been on console and I use a contorller too,
but that point is factually wrong.

Anyone have a link to the mega pastebin? I'm pretty sure that Blood Money is in there.

That would be my guess.

youtu.be/qHnOTig8N0c?t=9m56s

Okay dude. I'll level with you and explain in detail how the plot of Absolution was retarded.

The game begins with Diana dismantling the agency, for the third time in the series. (She did this in Silent Assassin and Blood Money)

47 is allowed to take the contract on his handler, with no reason given. He then of course fakes Diana's death. Showing that outside of Diana and 47, the agency is full of idiots.

In Blood Money, the roles were reversed and Diana faked 47's death. But that was in the end of the game. It was so obvious that they were just doing the fake death thing again.

The game introduces Victoria, who happens to be 47 2.0 and the retarded McGuffin of a necklace that keeps her peak physical conditioning in check. (because science)

47 goes out of his way to protect and do right by the girl, despite having been shown to be an outright sociopath in the past. The only deviation from that was when he tried to save Father Emilio Vittorio in Silent Assassin. But Vittorio and 47 knew each other and 47 was in his debt and the only reason why Vittorio was kidnapped was because of 47, so one could see how he felt compelled to help him.

He never knew Victoria. She is literally nobody to him.

They continue with the retcon of giving 47 a childhood and try to make us sympathize with 47, which is much lamer than the original canon where he was created as an adult with all the skills and knowledge planted into him.

The latex nuns made literally no sense.

We don't want to empathize with 47. He's a stone cold killing machine, that takes pride in his work and does it cleanly and meticulously. That's his allure.

Other dudes have gone into how the mechanics are busted.

GUISE

YOU KNOW WHAT KIDDIES LIKE?

COVER BASED CRAP

LETS MAKE A GAME ABOUT HUGGING WALLS

GENIUS

You mean something they have been doing since Hitman 2?

Literally started as a PC exclusive
Which first person view available
Its LOS variety of stealth and has very little to do with movement speed beyond sneaking up on someone to strangle them
Speed is irrelevant because you have a crawl button making all analog gimmicks useless.