Gog releases sending data back to home

some time ago some user proved this thing about how some file in gog releases dials home even in pirated version
but I didnt saved it, could someone fresh up the memory of what file is it that you can block so this dialing wont happen

Other urls found in this thread:

exhentai.org/g/953627/7491012f49/
exhentai.org/g/993594/d7e3f90676/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was a dll called gog_galaxy or something like that. If I remember correctly it had something to do with their client thing that auto updates your games and shit. Apparently it was phoning home even when you disabled, right? I don't really remember

I've pirated Thief 1 and Chronicles of Riddick from GoG and the latter has goggame.dll whereas that is absent from Thief 1.
How can I verify that its phoning home?

Ok on further inspection it appears that the goggame.dll downloads windows related information of the title and displays it in your Games directory.
Thief 1 isn't present in that directory while Riddick is so its consistent with that in my observation.

wireshark or a decent firewall. I have seen no weird network traffic out of their alpha centauri release.

Great way to get on old games without much hassel when you set the sails though.
So good for at least something.

I'll need someone to explain why this is a problem.

Mandatory telemetry with no notice is a pretty big problem simply because of the fact that they aren't completely upfront about the product you are paying for.

I have the images and shit, just not on me. Involved the Galaxy.dll or some shit.

I'll post when get home, but if you remove the .dll, the games refused to run 9/10 times, or so I remember anyway.

B-but I did, user

It's probably just for their stats. Although inaccurate they may be.

I mean some people torrent games then buy them later so if they have a machine sent data as pirated then he buys it he'll show up in their data twice.

I believe it put a galaxy.dll file but only in a couple of the most recent games. (Witcher 3 was the main culprit).

Truly old games (as in "Good Old Games") more than 5 years old don't report any internet activity.

The stats like time and achievements in Galaxy seem like they're retrieved locally. It's probably something related to Galaxy's auto-update feature, where your installed games check for updates

Man, I miss when we could just buy fucking pc games without needing steam, or GoG or fucking Origin. All this shit is annoying.

You don't even have to buy things, user.

it was the client not the games idiot

no, the .dlls were clearly in installed games folder and even some older game (maybe released recently?)

I'd rather have my games in central locations rather than lots of different providers.

You don't "need GoG", it's just an online store for games.

Even if they did, which I haven't seen proven, does this affect paying customers in any way? Like if you bought games from them would this be at all bad in any conceivable way? Just to be clear, this is about pirates being afraid of getting caught, right?

its another case of them being lying polish shits just like with W3

wtf i hate gog now

Yeah, good fucking luck updating a game these days without either unless the dev actually hosts their patches. You live in a world of dick-shaped candy canes.

I like having physical copies of things, and the disc, as well as the manual. It just feels nice to have you know? Reminds you you actually "own" it.

Gives too much power to too few. I prefer being able to just buy a game with a physical copy. And no steam fucking download required.

Sorry, shouldve been more specific. I miss the days where you bought physical copies of games. So you have the manual, disc, and everything else. And not requiring additional download, unless they had their own dedicated server for patches you can update from.

You were hardly able to update games when they came on a CD.

No. Patches.

I just don't get the problem with downloading a patch from GoG or whatever. If you're going to want to download it anyway, what does it matter where you get it from?

I value my time and I'd rather do a few clicks than a trip into town to get the vidya I want.

go to a second hand store and save those videogames!
that is what i do most of the time

no, it affects paying customers too.

If you value your time why are you even on an imageboard in the middle of the day?

Because I'll do what I want and it''s nighttime here

From what I remember it was to sync achievements so if you didn't have gog galaxy client installed then it didn't really matter.

People were worried about it trying to contact a server at all (me included) given that it could potentially be used to data gather or even find out people who purchased vs who pirated t but it doesn't seem likely as that would cost a lot of money to actually launch an investigation into every fucking copy. Not to mention people who buy GOG games often do so in order to be able to transfer the game around without any DRM shit and play it where and when they want. The computer they purchased and downloaded the game from might not be the one they play it on so it would be an insane mission to try and use it for anything like that.

I think we should start a charity for abandoned videogames and get Ross as the spokesman for it.

those days are long gone.

And yet you're not working on anything important before bed? You value your time very strangely user.

I'm actually studying nipp and browsing threads at the same time.

They were nice though werent they? All those unique vidya cases, and you even got paper manuals or full booklets of the art designs and stuff with your game. I miss that new game smell, when you first take off the plastic wrapping
Theres nothing like it

Sure you are.

All evidence to the contrary.

you forgot that they wanted to do that shit some time ago, they said that they could locate all the pirates,. 100% effective, of witcher 2 or something, there was a minidrama and they
went silent.

or when you go to different stores and there was a big PC games section

Thing is, the client (Galaxy) is supposed to be optional for 99% of the games.
Problem was that some of its files were getting installed secretly without the knowledge of the user.

That's exactly what GOG was supposed to do.
You buy a game, you get download links for the game installer plus some PDF manuals and some bonus stuff like development documents and (lol) wallpapers.
If it's an old game it includes a configured version of DOSbox with it.

They were never big enough for me, the console sections were always bigger. But it was nice seeing those obscure titles you never heard of before, and taking a risk on some translated jrpg they had only one of and having fun all night playing it. Those times are gone forever now I guess.

So what went wrong?
It's still not the same without that physical copy in your hand you know?

GOG doesn't just hand all their shit out for free, so naturally most posters here hate them. That's all.

Well this is obvious, it has to have some kind of link to somewhere as the installer offers you working links to their other titles when installing.

Fuck, fucked up my greentext

Show an actual book with writing you've done , alongside your work. Anyone can open an application. I can open wireshark and packetracer right now and say "ive been working all day!"

Its the entire galaxy thing and it comes packed with the games, you aren't safe on lonix

really? maybe if you combine all the consoles, but the PC section was always bigger in walmart, costco, bestbuy, circuit city, to name a few.

Also it disable piracy on some games like master of orion, you need to manually delete the galaxy stuff to run the game

Much DRM free, wow

Can't do that since I don't handwrite anything. Even if I did, I wouldn't be inclined to do so to satiate the silly requests of an user.

Burn a fucking CD and shut the fuck up you autistic avatarfagging moron.

Jesus christ, this isn't a fucking blog. Literally no one cares about what you have to fucking say.

True, but I think they've learned that they make more money and gain more customers by just releasing a good product than they ever would chasing down pirates (who probably make people have a positive feeling about the GOG brand).

I think they just got butthurt that they were releasing DRM free and people were 'abusing' that. They were retards, simple as that. Not the first time a company has gotten big and gone full retard. The casualisation and graphics downgrade of TW3 has proven that. They're still one of the best out there, though. I'm looking forward to their next game. If it gets too consolised I'm out, though.

Just fucking burn a DVD holy shit. With a paper cutter, blank DVD cases and decent printer you can usually choose case art that's better than the official release and without tons of fucking stickers, warnings, age ratings and other shit on it. I done that for a handful of my PS3 games. I'd do it again if I gave enough shits but I just don't anymore.

Hell these days if you had a decent cam and some intelligence you could make custom QR codes on each box so just holding the case up to your cam would launch the game.

Never heard of that. Sounds fucked up. Maybe it's a windows only thing? That game is on linux and they have not been galaxy blacked yet.

The issue is that the game call for galaxy and if you don't have it the game crashes so you delete the galaxy stuff and it stop doing it

Not round there parts. There were fewer back then and nowadays theyre nearly nonexistant in most places, or i'd actually go to a store to buy the vidya.

How dare you not accommodate to my increasingly ridiculous demands! You must be one of those deplorables.

Here's your (you) user, dont spend it all in one place.

So now its up to me to do the jobs they used to do? And go through additional trouble and money to buy extra applications and devices to accommodate an increasingly lazy industry?

I woudlnt say "the best" when its kind of easy to beat the average of western vidya in current year.
they made witcher 3 more easy compared to the other ones, so i woulnt hold my breath for cyberpunk.

I read that shit in Ross' voice.

It almost sounds like something he'd say doesnt it?

.>>11151666
i disagree satan,
I agree.

Okay and? Doesn't change the fact I'm right you autistic fucking moron.

What's funny, if you weren't underage and a third worlder, you would have owned all those 'good' old games in boxes already, you know like me, or any other user that isn't a fucking pleb.

You're indeed avatarfagging and you need to stop, no one wants to see your hokey faggot collection, all you're doing is showing everyone how sexually frustrated and how much of a mental midget you are, specially when you're posting that chinese autistic clown translation shit.

It's ok for the most part. Sometimes I wish the installation wasn't made through an EXE file (we're talking about games that just needed you to copy the files and not to alter the register nor do anything weird). You can always just copy the installer to a harddrive and install it from there without ever needing internet for anything.

It's like comparing a paper book to a Kindle.

I have the original big-ass cardboard boxes of stuff like Baldur's Gate 2, Daggerfall and Ultima IX.
I remember cracking BG2 just to avoid the hassle of actually using the CD.
With Daggerfall, I just copied the original CD and used only the copy since then.
As for U9: I didn't wanted to buy a digital copy since I already had bought a physical copy. But the bundle was too convenient to ignore and the more Ultima games I bought the less money I had to pay (it was cheaper to buy 9 games than only 8 for some reason, I guess they love to inflate their metrics).

I just installed some old games while lurking this thread, I don't see Galaxy stuff anywhere.

Oh so now you cry I'm reddit when I'm not the only person who thinks that shit is autsitic. Plus you're the only faggot posting it, isn't that a coincidence. I swear you weeb faggots are fucking brain-dead, and by weeb I mean moe-morons who can't get pussy.

I bet you don't even know how to fucking make games, let alone install anything in dos, let alone us a c64. Go back to sucking cum off the bottom of the floor of your local community college boyo.

i have mix feeling about this.

It's still strange to see how similar nips and chinks are yet so different.

You don't know what avatar fagging is. Stop embarrassing yourself.
If I continuously made posts with the same exact character, it didn't fit the situation or thread, and I did it across different threads then that would be avatar fagging.
That user doesn't even check the first box

lurk more

Japs stole kanji from the chinks, you know

Might have been a regional thing. I wish they had more back then, moreso that theyd have more now. So long as its not that godawful shit theyre doing lately where you buy the game and it opens in steam and downloads the content.

Personally for digital copies, i've always liked the ability to just drag and drop it into new directories without the registry being fucked. I also dislike the installers for a lot of pc games, rather than just being a zip or some type of compressed file format you can open and extract to. I remember way of the samurai 4 had that issue with registries where it had to be in its specific install location to be able to boot up

Don't feel bad user, im from canada and we didnt have it either. And were firstworld. Well maybe not anymore, but we were.

Its my smug mocking autists image. He sounds more like he'd be from neofag or gaia anyway.

When china created the more modernized version of their language iirc they copied a bit from japan, so it'd make sense if they looked similar.

Then you're obviously not retarded like that other faggot is. It's not that hard to get boxed games, so I don't know why fag-boy is crying.

Nah, chinks brought the written language to japan. I just find it strange how I can sorta identify what's happening in a language I know nothing about especially since I can identify more than someone I know that moved to china 4 years ago

The kikes brought the written language to china, then china brought the kikes to japan.

Look at the jew scribbles, you'll see.

Oh so I got it reversed, my bad. So the nips copied the chinese system. I suppose its a bit like the similarities between french and spanish.

Why would you need to? If it werks just leave it alone. You don't play multiplayer games, do you user?

My pirated GOG Master of Orion 1/2 doesn't have the galaxy stuff included with it. And it has a reference PDF with cues how to bypass the original copy-protection.

I just got a refund for The Saboteur on GOG because it just didn't fucking WERK. Any recommendations on what to get instead? There's a sale on right now. I'm sure there's at least one classic I should have.

My one and only DMCA came from pirating a GOG game, funny enough.

It was Deus Ex (Original) of all things

I stopped pirating after that because I don't have money for a VPN

have they stopped hosting patches on the website?
the last game i bought was tits:sc which did have a phone home, but i was able to get patches off the website just fine.
i'll still probably use gog if i can't buy a new drm free game somewhere else, at least i know i'll be able to install my backups.

Old games are not only easier to justify pirating because of their age, but they're also the easiest games to pirate. You hyper retard

It's worth the trouble pirating if I make sure filthy poles don't see a penny of my money.

what about using ddl instead of torrents

Can't they DMCA you over that shit too? I've been super paranoid for a while

You don't though?

here you go, user.

I think it will be bit harder for them to do that

if it is a direcr dl than the one who uploaded it might get a DMCA or in case of theisozone, the website get a request to take down a ddl.

on a torrent, everyone who is seeding gets a dmca.

I'm still kinda paranoid because Kim Dotcom said that MEGA is the shits now. I just don't want to risk it because if they sue us or shut the Internet off I'm screwed.

I'm so paranoid I don't even go on emuparadise anymore

It was called Galaxy.dll and a lot of people confused it for a file that was in games like Deus Ex.

Essentially one was ONLY in games with achievements. It was so Galaxy could keep track of your achievements and unlock them on your client as soon as you launch the other game, the other case? We don't know because they are in the games on disc, before GoG was even a thing.

It was a non issue the OP blew out of proportion on Holla Forums before he had anything to even go on. None of the info it sends is particularly on interest especially since it really can't prove if you're running an illegitimate copy or not.

Honestly, you can blame steam niggers for this. The ones whining at GoG to make a steam like client, while nice and all it leads to shit like this. But in this case were talking about a file that's kbs at most.

fuck! I played that games demo more than I play current games

are you german?

No, I just assumed that because the original creator said that his own service is now shit, I shouldn't go on there.

I'm in the USA so it's no wonder why (((They))) are so concerned over copyright laws that they wouldn't lose a penny over, considering the game they DMCA'd me over is now over sixteen years old

What kind of games you like?
If you haven't played Thief, I absolutely recommend those. The first two are masterpieces.
If you want something more experimental then Outcast 1.1 is a solid get too.

Wait, you're afraid of MEGA because you think the chinks give two shits about copyright infringement? When they're brazenly stealing F-22 specs?

That's why Kim said it was the shits now. Plus I hate the download limit so you have to download 10+ pieces to get one game.

Well, Kim is launching a new service so you can wait for that.

I remember a torrent of Sims 1 with all its expansions that you just had to copy it somewhere. It included a small registry file with only a couple of lines that you could edit easily.

I haven't played Thief yet but I own them on steam (and they're DRM free there anyway). Outcast 1.1 looks awesome but it's not on sale and I'm on super budget so I'd prefer to wait for it to be.

DELETE THIS!

They would literally have to be monitoring exactly you to find out, instead of just joining the swarm and gathering everyone's IPs

What's wrong with multiplayer games?

came here to tell you youre mad

I swear to god, Valve fucking killed PC gaming. I'll bet they viralled all the ebin gayben maymays just so nobody criticizes the Fat Bastard.

My fucking nigger.

Risk of rain is a pretty good 2D Roguelike,
SpaceChem is a Good complex Puzzle Game if you re into that.

I wonder why most of the shills in this thread weren't called out for being shills. It was pretty blatant, especially early on.

The problem is that piracy has become easy for even retards who don't know how to navigate directories, and think that a command line is dank hacking. Business pretty much had to go this way after they took down the walls of "video games are for nerds and other assorted losers!" to get all the shekels.

PC games are dead.
App Store shit is not a PC game. It's a DLC.

Galaxy.dll
When I pirated The Witcher 3 I could just delete Galaxy.dll & the game would have an initial error but still launch. Shadow Warrior 2 MUST HAVE Galaxy.dll to launch & you can't block it in firewall or the game will not launch.

so what was their reply to this?

probably some generic thing saying they're sorry for your boggle. i certainly haven't seen a serious reply out of them concerning it.

Oh shit, a rational response on Holla Forums. I'll prepare the fallout shelter.

what is this from

wakfu

That's wack, foo

I do not understand this mentality. I just hope one day they shut down so every retard who bought something from them drowns in their own tears when they suddenly discover they don't actually own shit.

WHY THE FUCK DO I WANT TO STICK MY DICK IN THIS FRENCH CARTOON SO BAD!?

because french

take this gif user, calm down…

You're cute

I'm not that guy I really wanna stick my dick in the wide hipped elf.

because last unpozzed frenches make it

Fucking kek. I'd fug Eva but too late.

that loli from the last webm is a enutrof, thats why she's turned on.

Oh she probably isn't a loli if she's an Enutrof. Eva, that singing Sadida and the Baker are all babes for sure.

ah that would be because its a sexy french cartoon

No the characters are sexy french cartoons.

shame the r34 is severely lacking, only exceptions is zone's flash

yeah "kids show"

a sexy kids show for sexy kids

Indeed, """kids show"""

Cleo>Eva

eva has a vibrancy im attracted to that cleo lacks

They take 30 dicks a week from anything that moves on two legs

just anything
exhentai.org/g/953627/7491012f49/
exhentai.org/g/993594/d7e3f90676/

Are you honestly surprised?

And yet it still gives you more privacy and rights than shit like steam

In what way is Steam violating your privacy or your rights?

Go after them while they're young and pure, duh. Eva didn't got deflowered and started taking Lop dick until mid season 1 or so.

See
How many times must this be posted?

In what way does the Fat Bastard compensate you?

then ill just have to dick her 30 times a week. no prob

Sorry goys, but I petty much hate people who shit on drm and like steam. A big number of people wanted a online store that sells games with no DRM, and I specifically remember than 4chan and Holla Forums was one of those groups back before GoG was created.

Now everyone is pissed off because it doesn't auto-do everything for you like steam? Well why don't you just use steam then and forget about GoG? I don't get it. I'm fine with downloading myself a patch when I need it, and I like having no drm. It's the best thing ever because I can finally archive games for the future with no problem.

If you don't wanna buy generic dos game for $5 then don't buy it, steam doesn't even sell it at all, so there's that. No one is forcing you to buy old dos games or cracked games, but it's there for people who want that. I love no drm and I hate you steam shills.

Just wanna correct one thing, I know go was made before Holla Forums, but I just wanted to remind people that we did in fact want a no drm games store. And now people shit on it.

the french are such despicable beings that they act like japan without being under the effect of nuclear bombs

FUCKING ELF FUCKERS! HERETICS WILL HANG FROM TREES!

yeah id fuck an elf in a tree too

good point but where else would i fuck an elf?

You fucker, user.