Freelancer

Guys, I fucked up and misremembered a recommendation. I got Freelancer instead of Freespace.

Did I goof or is this game still ok? I just want to cruise around with a flight stick shooting aliums like Tie Fighter etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B0moObeV64NAQWJwcDZWc20tazQ/view)
litcube.xtimelines.net/wiki/index.php/Features
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck are you even doing buying games? Just pirate instead of giving money to Israel

Okay is the best word to describe it. It's not much of a dogfighter, though.

You might enjoy some of the mods.

well, you could play freelancer finish the story and then get X3:AP to get your shit push in.

Freelancer is pretty good but it's an open-world sandbox game with an economy which is best controlled with the mouse.

It's fine, you can play Starlancer too, all good games. Calm down, CALM DOWN

Pirate from where mother fucker? Kickass torrents is down and pirate bay doesn't have any mirrors I can use.

Just go back to reddit

Freelancer is abandon-ware user, you've literally given money only to the distributor who sells it.

All of my old megaupload links are deader than fuck. Sorry.

Go on torrentfreak and look at their top 10 list of trackers, they all use the same database with slight variations.

FS2 should be particularly easy to find, as the modding projects have kept it alive. If nothing else, explore the links in the share thread.
On another note, I wonder if anyone's bought the IP from Interplay yet.

what was removed?

Fucking….what?

Why the hell would i play a space shooter without a joystick?

Because it was specifically designed to be played with the mouse.

So it's shit. Got it

Too much shit to list. It was supposed to be the next elite and it ended up delayed, rushed and wrapped up. Think star citizen but on a smaller scale.

holy fuck

purge

WTF? Sounds it's a point and click adventure?

What a fucking retard.

Nah, it's a space shooter with a pretty unique control scheme.

So you went out of your way to buy it and then without even playing you came here? Nigger, why?

Well, I haven't noticed. I had a good time with Freelancer. It's a good space game, even if casual.

Some of the modders looked into buying it and wrote the firm responsible for auctioning it off. (drive.google.com/file/d/0B0moObeV64NAQWJwcDZWc20tazQ/view)

The sale is for the entire Interplay portfolio, so it's probably going for $100,000 or so. Hopefully no one ever buys it, unless you want SafeSpace 3: Cinematic Edition™ with $120 season pass.

rutracker

1. I'm not home yet to play it
2. Thought I'd get Holla Forums's opinion while I wait.

Are you literally retarded?

Yeah Freelancer is arcedey garbage just like most of Chris Robert games.

You should bail and just pirate Freespace instead. If you're too much of a pussy to do that, I'll upload Freespace, FSOpen, MediaVPS, and the Dimensional Eclipse mod for you.

I might like playing games where I'm a pirate, but I'm not one in real life user.

But muh honeypot :^)

I hope you're baiting. My god, for your sake I hope you're just pretending to be retarded.

You understand that the developer's studio hasn't existed for a decade now, and that they won't see a single penny of any sales, right?

If you're in for a space sim you'll be sorely disappointed, as an arcade-y han solo pretend time it's pretty comfy.

It's shit.

Freelancer is a fun game but you fucked up buying it since the studio responsible for it is long gone.

Enjoy the campaign and the silly plot, get your fill of exploran, then see if you can track down a download for Holla Forumslancer for a dose of nostalgia, old memes, and "kitchen sink" modding.

I'm biting the fuck out of this bait. How did you fucking get here?

I fucking love freelancer and weeped many times that there isn't anything like it. Or at least, I didn't find it when I searched, but that was also a long time ago.

Freelancer is alright, but to really enjoy it I recommend looking at some of the larger overhaul mods. I remember one that greatly improved combat, making stuff like pulling flight maneuvers involving killing your engines not just valid but highly recommended, and made missiles and torpedoes MAJOR threats. Being able to time your flares actually had a use, and being good at pulling a 90 degree turn could be a matter of life or death. It upgraded the AI too, so you didn't get into those long flying in circle battles. You went chasing after the AI, it would drop mines while spinning around with dead engines, then suddenly jump towards you while trying to jam a torpedo down your throat. Most torpedoes tended to be a 1-shot kill too. The mod also added some special intercepter missiles that would drop ships out of hyperdrive, so not even speed could save you from ambush. It also fucking quadrupled the size of the universe.

Both Freelancer and Freespace are overhyped pieces of shit.

Stop. This is what kills a tracker. It wasn't that big of a deal before Kickass got shutdown and TPB was getting shit every 5 seconds, but now there's a VERY large mob just waiting for a new place to jump on.

Sounds like Discovery mod. I played the shit out of that on their servers with some friends and discovered a hilarious way to bypass the credits grind, we were all flying cruisers in one night.

True for Freelancer, completely wrong for Freespace.

Freelancer was Robert's shitty attempt at a post-Origin Prvateer. Star Citizen is his third attempt not counting Erin Robert's underwhelming Privateer 2.

Just a reminder, Roberts hasn't made a game worth a shit since he left Origin.

It WAS a pretty unique control scheme. It's got a lot of clones these days though. I think devs just assume people don't have joysticks these days, which is a bit depressing if you actually do have one.

At least we still have people making mods for Freespace 2.

how about you play the game, you dumb work accident of a whore?

Actually it handles quite well.

Basically our only hope is that Star Citizen actually comes out at some point.

Those are actually in the base game. They're called "cruise disruptors" and I think there are 2 versions of them… could be wrong about that last part though, I haven't played in years.

X3:TC is just a better, less-arcady freelancer.

Not the OP but you got my attention.

This. But Albion Prelude with Litcube's Universe is the best way to play X3.

I've got AP, but I've never played it. Have 175hrs in one monolithic TC run where I essentially control the universe (every xenon gate blockaded with 2x Osakas), but I got burned out since there was nothing else to do besides hub grinding and I wasn't interested in that.

IsAP different enough from TC that it'd feel fresh?

Just upload the retail Freespace 2 install if you can. The best way to get up to date FSO and mods/mediaVPs is through the official installer.

do you think he could handle it?

AP itself, not really. I even liked TC better than vanilla AP I think. Now Litcube's is an entirely different story.

litcube.xtimelines.net/wiki/index.php/Features

There's an assload of changes, but some of the most important are that it really cuts out a lot of the slow and boring early game because it's a lot easier to make money through various methods. It encourages cheesing with stuff like buying damaged used ships from NPCs, SETA repairing them with your space suit's repair beam, and selling for profit. Or just going around outside pirate sectors and finding free ships worth millions just sitting there, abandoned since in LU, any NPC can make any other NPC bail.

There's also Phanon Corporation and the OCV. Phanon is an enemy NPC corporation that has their own home sector and will try to build stations, traders, etc to expand and attack you with a military. OCV is just Xenon except they will actually invade neighbouring sectors and spread. They start at the end of a fairly long line of sectors with only one path, so you have quite a while before they start spreading like cancer in the entire universe.

Also lots of stuff to macromanage huge fleets, because you're expected to have huge fucking fleets.

That looks fucking fantastic, thanks user.

i actually wanted to play it because it looked pretty decent, decent enough that it's a game and not a cinematographer's wet dream. Got space, story which is my reason to play I may add sandbox bullshit is garbage, I need to do something I can only make up my own story for so long for fuck sake. I passed it up because I pass up a lot of things. So how does it fare in consideration to any other space game?
I love exploration, and the stars. If the stars move on their own accord it's perfect

First off all go easy on the commas. Secondly yeah, the story is the meat of this game. You may need to grind some trading and shit to pass a couple of missions but generally you've got nothing to do once the story is over.

Which ones? Older, newer? I'd rather go Independence War 2 or X3 but that doesn't make it a bad game.

My grammar is awful not because English isn't my second language but a particular reason. I wont go into it.
Yes I meant both old and new, I've seen some decent games made recent and older, just don't ask me details as I forget the titles of them. Anyways this looked like a decent game when I saw it a few years ago on a torrent site.

It really is that at least. Now, If you're strictly in it for the story you might also try Space Rangers (2) or Ur-Quan Masters

Well I did play Ur-Quan Masters for a tad bit of time however I got distracted and forgot about it. It seemed like a real video game, I heard about the guys who made it spent all sorts of time and personal money to complete it. We'll never see a game like that made again where some guys liked it enough to go so far as to exploit themselves to finish it. i'd go back to it but Stalker is really addicting I'm on a 120 hour playthrough so far chances are nothing will keep my attention outside Stalker for a long ass while.

Yes I'll admit up front that it's silly.

If you want a light story, play eterium or Zero Suit Strike, those games are more focused in missions and shit
If you want to explore, play space rangers 1 and 2, pretty good shit, its in 2D, but at least the damn planets move in an orbit, havent played Escape Velocity Nova, but they say its dope as fuck.

OP here, finally got around to playing this. It's quite cool and fairly well presented, but I can't get around the mouse movement in combat, it's too immersion breaking.

Combat seems paper thin too and I get no information on what my ship stats are, like power output/shield strength etc.

Also, do all ships move at the same speed? (i.e. 199 boost etc) I bought a new ship and it seems to be the exact same speed despite being a fighter.

Go play X3 TC instead. Trust me on this.

its a really good game if you don't mind the aged graphics

ITT: niggas shitting on the greatest space sim ever
what the fuck happened to my Holla Forums?

most ships have different speeds, also you can turn off your engines at boost speed and keep moving with the inertia while shooting (but i don't remember the key to do that)

Bullshit. Every ship I have tried has a max speed of 80, a boost speed of 120 and a super boost speed of 199.

i remember it having very slow traders and fast fighters, maybe it was dependant on ship class? it was a long time ago

People gave the man who made it $130 million dollars and we sit here and ask ourselves why our hobby is shit.

Because it's clearly not? Not even close. Dozens of space games are better than it and if you think it's amazing you clearly belong on something like reddit since it's considered widely as baby's first space game.

What it is is an average space game that doesn't do anything really amazingly well, has a decent story and open world aspects but falls flat hard on gameplay which is actually quite dull. Freelancer was never widely received when it came out and was seen quite rightly as a giant piece of trash. Only recently when fags have discovered it or are looking back with extreme nostalgia goggles has it gotten any sort of real praise.

You're thinking of thrusters which are only useful for moving quickly in combat. Even then, all they do is not drain your power as quickly when upgraded. The speed will be the same for every ship, but the turning speed/weapon slots/turret slots will be different by ships and is something to somewhat pay attention to.

Freelancer is most definitely not a game you play for immersion, it mostly just arcade like fun with a weird plot and nice music. One of the menus that allows you to see your weapons should also have a tab that shows your shield and anything you're carrying.

No, i'm not. I'm thinking of standard, thruster and super thruster.

Floor the gas on a ship without thrusting. It's 80 across the board.

Stop being a good goy or just fuck right back to reddit you absolute retard

Finding all wormholes and abandoned shipwrecks with atypical cargo and weaponry would take some time. You can also visit two easter egg planets.

I prefer Elite/X games.

Because Chris Roberts wanted it this way.

The control scheme with the moving mouse cursor in a third person view is pure and utter shit.
Proper mouse-controlled shooters move the camera and not a fucking mouse pointer for good reasons!

OP Here, fully agreed. I can't keep playing this game.