Modern consoles

Where did it all go so wrong, Holla Forums? Will we ever have a repeat of the 4th or 6th gen? The SNES and PS2 were god-tier.

Normalfags love their multiplats.

More like 8.5 gen honestly.

More like .1 actually

let's not play stupid word games, we're entering a faster production rate of consoles now. I think this has been the plan for some time.

we already have this thread, dude:

Consoles will not be generational leaps anymore, but iterative gains. Nintendo is locking itself in to the ARM mobile suite which suits their "lateral thinking with outdated technology" mantra and enables them to sell shit at a profit at all times and avoids competing in a tech specs pissing contest, while Sony and MS are both locked in to the x86 PC's-in-a-box and will be releasing upgrades with faster CPUs and more RAM and shit every year or two to sell the same shit to the same audience over and over again. Personally, I don't care either way. I've got my PC and I'll probably get a Switch for those few and interesting Nintendo exclusives, but the industry won't crash, per se, it will just circle the drain neither gaining nor losing momentum until something big happens.

Everything went wrong in 2006. We had a golden age from 2000 to 2005 and after that everything went to shit.
Yes we had some good games every year or so but nothing compared to that period.
And theres no turning back. Things will only get worse from now on.

I.e. gimmicks since Nintendo sure as shit doesn't innovate with their gameplay.

Nintendo needs to die.
PS4 sold like PS2. Sony always wins.
Microsoft needs to die.

ayy lmao, we all know it was 92-01.

SNES, PSX, N64, PS2. Fucking top-tier games all around.

The Ps3/X360/Wii gen should have lasted a few more years. Nobody really needed the current gen consoles.

They will simply stop at the good enough stage just like Audio CDs.

Is this thread about us posting 'disgust.bmp' pics?

Let's just all be friends and say that the golden era was mid/late 90s and early 2000s.

And what about early, faglord?
kys

The golden era was late 80s, early 90s.
Mid 90s interactive movies killed games already.

I have trouble naming 15 good games in any generation outside the PC though.

It didn't even sell 1/3rd mate

Lol, when will they learn

In three years?
Are you that stupid?

Never, such is the folly of normalfags.

Nobody is forced to anything, only PCucks get forced to upgrade by Microcuck and Gaben to not lose access to their games.

you sure dont kiddo

Did either you or I ever mention years, retard? They're lifetime sales and since this gen is already coming to a close, you might as well call those 40 million as the PS4's lifetime sales.

Alright the golden era in vidya across all platforms overall was Late 80s-Early 2000s. Let's hope a new golden era in vidya for Late 2010s-The Future.

Lmao peasants

What the flying fuck are you talking about?
Are you one of those retards who thinks that "supports indirectX 15!" marketing means that you actually need to upgrade to use an API?
What does Gabe even have anything to do with it?

You have anons saying all the time in PC competent related threads that their old shit is still chugging a long just fine with no need to upgrade in sight.

Don't respond to console wars faggots man.

I went through what's deemed 6th Gen (DC,PS2, GC, XboxOG, GBA) and a meh generation at that and picked over 15 good games that don't have HD remasters or PC versions and are worth emulating or playing on the systems

?

Okay, double-checked and found out yes Tony Hawk 3 & 4 had PC ports. Also forgot that 3 had crappy PS1 and N64 versions too. One of the reasons for going over 15 in case of mistakes. I also left out stuff like Mario Sunshine and Minish Cap since those are very divisive and I still haven't played Metal Wolf Chaos.

Be friends with my dick, you hottie slut!

Permit to correct me, but from personal recollection, I can attest for how 1990~1999 went down, as 90/91 was windups for the boom of 92 to 94 with a bit of a lull in 95 before another boon escalating in 96 to 98 with a wind-down drop in 99

These, it's more like the board revision and design change of the PSone than an actual new system.

Not really. It's more akin to the original Gameboy, which even at the time had outdated specs but it was almost indestructible and had a very long battery life.

When was the last time gameplay innovation actually improved a game? The most recent example I can think of is Splatoon, a Nintendo exclusive.

Sure thing. No bad games on those consoles, no sir.

We all know who won the consoles war of that era.
Amiga

It's damn if you do, damn if you don't.
Don't respond and faggots like them think they are in good company.
Respond and they shit up the thread more.

I guess the balance is to respond enough to get the point across that their idiocy is not generally accepted and then stop.

There was a decade between the SNES and PS2 and the only system that had a constant flow of great games without any casualization was the PC

It's upscaled 720p, you really think that it out preforms a GTX 1070?

Because the console producers, just like any corporation, has to attempt to improve their rate of profit constantly or else fall to the wayside. Do you think they make consoles for you to enjoy?

Such is life in capitalism.

th-thanks capitalism…

It only works because people are stupid enough to buy it, if people didn't buy new systems until they had a couple of good games then those corporations would be forced to release with good games to remain profitable.

not a nintendofag, but WiiU has a wider array of good exclusives than just seven or eight.

9 exclusives with 2 superior versions of good games. See? you missed 3-4 games.

Nigger when did I say that, and how does that hurt my argument in any way?
Sony is doing it to sell 4K TVs and are advertising it as a 4K capable console.

Of course its still an underpowered piece of shit with no games that can be sold at a gain.

Same thing would have happened 20 years ago had the corporations needed to improve their rate of profit as drastically as now. Back then game sales were enough to increase the RATE of profit drastically. It wasn't a different idealist thought by major corporations like Nintendo or whatever, even though developers were often more independent and under less pressure.

And I'm saying that with nothing more than a board revision they can upscale 720p to 4k.

20 years ago gaming was a high risk high return investment and all involved knew it, now share holders are expecting the same high returns without the risk that was once associated with it and boards are trying to deliver on this unrealistic demand.

Fuck, second paragraph is for

There was agricultural food production under feudalism. Do you think people doubted food product would exist in other systems?

Lets not go full retard with the economic philosophy please.

It's a silly argument to start.

I forgot how cute that second model PS1 is, I still have my original big-arse one.

garbage
maybe
runs like ass
garbage
garbage
this one is fantastic no questions asked
lol
the fuck is this even
garbage
another monhun rehash
another musou rehash

Nice arguments there m8

I know right?
Sometimes I'm amazed how great I am.

Not an ad

There is literally nothing wrong with multiplats, unless you're some consolewarring fag.

I would even argue against the PS2 being good, It just falls so fucking flat and even only has like what ? 13 good games or so? Same with the GameCube. Its sad that the only "consoles" one should really play are Nes, Snes, Genesis/MegaDrive, PS1 and maybe the TurboGraphic16.
Sorry, the N64 is trash tier, get over it.

As for modern consoles, I really dont know anything about them anymore. I know the Wii sold really well and flooded the market with new normalfag "Gamers", The xbox/360 introduced the baller cap dude bros who think HALO is a really FPS. I have been on the PC since I was a kid playing text/mud based games and commander keen/dos games. I thought console war threads were banned?

Oh nice

Dude this is such a nostalgia bait post

Dude, stop projecting. It has nothing to do with nostalgia or age. Get over it kid.

This. Most people who aren't autists only have one current platform for gaming. Judging consoles only by their exclusives only makes sense for idorts.

But the rate of profit tends to fall.

It has everything to do with nostalgia

I guarantee if you had grown up like a decade later you wouldn't give a shit about the NES. Especially given most of its games only last less than 4 levels and were designed to kill you constantly so you'd have to redo them over and over.

Claiming that games just suddenly got worse around the time you got older is really hard to explain with anything other than nostalgia and living in the past.

Most people here are in their mid twenties and they would still be in their childhood/teens during the PS2.

I prefer the rugged '90s aesthetic of the original PS. Reminds me of one of those EMP-proof military laptops (it probably is EMP proof tbh). The revised version looks like it went through baby-proofing/Apple design committee.

Most exclusives are shit nowadays because theres no point when every console has the same inputs and performance besides Nintendo consoles.
Most of them are shit nowadays anyway.
Doesnt make most modern multiplats not shit though.

Learn to fucking read.

It's like if every major company made their own Dreamcast, except more shitty.

I was born in 1997 and I like the NES. Super mario as a platformer holds up, the original TLoZ is still fun, Megaman and gradius too.

Fuck your shit, the golden age started in the 50s and ended in 1995.

Generation 8.5 approaches, not 9.
Admittedly so far it's got the cutest console-tan ever

Find me a game such as Darklands released post 2000

Don't play these arbitrary games with the nomenclature
The Switch is gen 9.
The Scorpio will be when microshaft releases it.
Sony is up in the air since all that's in the future or did it release already? is an upgraded ps4.

I'm okay with this.

i have trouble counting to 15

No you kill yourself faggot :V

I guess you have a point there

if they were so good why aren't they in the forefront of the gen

101 was just a re-skinned pikmin and you know it.

Are you lost?
>>>/NeoGAF/

They're not going to bother with natively-rendered 4K. PS4 won't even bother with 4K video streaming or 4K BD playback.

That's because developers are lazy and/or incompetent, and are too busy sucking GRAFX dick to optimize their game(and why should they anyways when people buy the "cinematic" shit hook line and sinker.) A new console gen wasn't going to fix that problem, and another dozen increments won't either.

I've enjoyed plenty of good games on my consoles OP.

Maybe stop being such a picky faggot, you are sure to find something fun.

If consoles are now updating every few years why not just get a fucking computer?

1. Consoles have fucked game development so much and they're hardware is so old my Radeon 6950 can still hold up to modern games decently, and the card is going on 7 years old.

2. You need a computer anyways. Even if you buy a cheap walmart laptop, that's still $300. For around $500 you can get a PC that outperforms any game console, be 100% customizable, and able to used for anything.

I really don't understand consolefags. Like I'm not angry about it, just really confused that there's enough people to make a blatantly retarded purchase that consoles still exist.

That's Microsoft's plan, though. They're going to end up making yearly or near yearly Xboxes and advertise them as gaming computers.

Computer technology became advanced enough that the concept of specialized video game hardware no longer exists. A console no longer offers any advantages over a PC, and as such, current consoles are just overpriced PCs with 3-5 year old hardware at launch and locked down operating systems. An informed consumer would never choose a console when they could have all the bonuses that come with PC ownership AND video games instead. Sure, people are retarded and fall for marketing, but they'll eventually realize when they get shit on by console manufacturers enough. It's only a matter of time.

Nintendo knew this, so they tried to keep their consoles relevant with gimmicks you couldn't (normally) get on PC like motion control and tablet input. That strategy failed, so now they're focusing entirely on handheld because that's always been their strength anyway.

Sony and Microsoft either didn't realize or thought they could continue pulling the wool over their consumer bases' collective eyes, and made no changes to their consoles to distinguish them from PCs. Now those consoles collect dust on peoples' shelves and PC gaming gets ever more widespread and easy to access.
Nintendo also failed this last gen, but because they focused too much on gimmicks and not enough on making games people actually want to fucking play. Not because their console was too alike to PCs.

MS finally realized and they're porting Xbox games to Windows 10 so they don't lose customers. Sony is still in the fucking dark. If the xbox and playstation have another generation, it SHOULD be their last. Anyone purchasing a console after this shit-show is completely, irredeemably stupid and a detriment to the gene pool.

Steam is not a console no matter how much you really want it to be.

Seriously, the complete lack of quality control, coupled with microtransactions, steamworks and early access alone have done more damage to gaming than anything a fucking playstation has done.

It's more "developers are too lazy to develop for specialized hardware now a days, so specialized video game hardware no longer exists"

Let's check this
Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Starfox Guard & Starfox Zero, Smash Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Dick Freeze, Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Fast Racing Neo, New Super Mario bros U & Weegee U, Super Mario 3D World, Treasure Tracker, Mario Maker, Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors.
I count 17 good games. Not to mention Bayonetta 60fps/720p port and access to Pandora's Tower on VC
Bloodbourne…. I'm at a loss. Not sure what the other games are.
Apparently you can get Xenosaga on PS4 as well.
Killer instinct, Rare Replay, Master chief collection and Forza Horizon 3
There's just too much shit shovelled out.

No. Back in the day, a personal computer designed for office work couldn't handle graphics or sound. Consoles had a place because they used specialized hardware that could render better graphics and produce more complicated audio. As tech evolved and power increased, the need to create specialized machines evaporated because all PCs are powerful enough to display game graphics and play game audio. Consoles became a slapped together assortment of cheap PC hardware with a custom OS because there was no practical need for a set of hardware completely independent from existing computers.

Are you retarded?

Yakuza, Gravity Rush, Ace Combat, Nioh, Disgaea, Grand Turismo, KoF 14, The Last Guardian, Rachet and Clank, Ni no Kuni, The Witch and Hundred Knight, every Gundam game

Wow, a whopping five released before the PS4Pro

You shouldn't count the games that haven't come out yet Like Nioh, KoF 14, The Last Guardian, The new Witch and hundred knight.
Or Ni no Kuni which is on PS3 and Gravity rush on Vita

How many of those are actually Exclusive to PS4?

KoF14 has been released nigger

Damn, Haven't seen many threads about it.
How is it?

Sure is halfchan in here. Go on, you can admit it, we won't judge you.

The Golden Age of Vidya was from 1986 to 2006. Sure, there were a lot of near-unplayable messes, but you could find around 15-20 masterpieces in any given year during that period as well. Nowadays, even though games are fairly stable for the most part(excluding Steam Green Light games) there's nothing really spectacular. Any good game from the last 5 years ago is just an inferior version of a game from 15+ years ago.

He's talking about games, not movies.

PC port hasn't been released yet bro, it technically is an exclusive. When SNK officially announces the inevitable PC port, then you can greentext

Best fighting game this gen, although it's not a hard title to obtain. Netcode was rocky at the start but SNK addressed the issue quickly, also no plans for DLC outside possible costumes and it's actually pretty balanced for a game with 50 characters after the october patch.

I just don't get why Wii U zealots bring out the worst games as their examples instead of praising the actual few good things on it. It's like a Sonygger bringing up Ratchet or Xbot bringing up Sunset Overdrive. I know you have to be tasteless to defend any of this generation's consoles, but holy shit, this is beyond ridiculous.

Console fags are so fucking pathetic. The 5th generation will be the end for handhelds and consoles. It will get replaced by smartphones and pc. Stop saturating the market and force game developers to create games on one platform So all of you can play their 2 or 3 decent exclusives on the pc.

There is no peace without war, it can't only be one, commie.

Consoles are trash kill youself

No you kill yourself

good?

Why? its not like its unconfirmed games, Nioh coming out in February and TLG come out in December this year

Star Fox zero is good. Why is it such a meme to hate on it?
Star Fox guard is pretty damn fun and worth it from that small price (or CEMU)
NSMBU is the best New Super mario bros. Kicks the ass of the wii, DS and 3DS ones with the challenges and Weegee U ramps up the difficult challenges
3D world is good and very large but Galaxy is easily the better choice.
Why don't you like them user?

Remember when it was confirmed for PS3 for a very long time and never released?
It's better to wait until it is released because things can change. Or specify they are upcoming games and not name them as exclusives before they are released.

I dont remember it have a confirmed release date. both Nioh and TLG have.

Instead of selling a whole new god damn console why didn't Sony just give the PS4 something like an expansion port? A PCI slot or something to jam in a better videocard. Or do they just know modern consumers are complete corporate whores?

I'm done with consoles after the last gen

Those remotely serious about gaming will have a desktop ready. Most will have something low powered for everyday use or just rely on phone or tablet. This is where consoles can come in handy. Problem is that audience might not be the most loyal. Nintendo's route now seems to be trying to please everyone since what others said, consoles no longer have a place except for gimmicks.

Kys faggot c:

That insult doesn't even make sense. What are you supposed to pronounce it like, peacocks?
Makes sense I guess, most Holla Forums "mustard race" kiddies don't actually know shit about PC gaming and are still console kids at heart, only using their PCs like peacocks parading.

Small and medium-budget console devs couldn't compete on production values in the HD era. The Japanese devs moved to handhelds, while the western devs were bought out by big publishers and forced to grow into modern soulless AAA behemoths. The Xbone and PS4 are all about catering to people that actually like AAA garbage, the good games are never coming back to them because by and large their customers aren't interested in them in the first place.
I have hope for the Switch, because not only is it unifying all of Nintendo's teams under one hardware platform, but also it's finally putting the smaller Japanese devs back on a platform that will be relevant to the west, the way things were before HD.

The people that buy AAA multiplat trash are too dumb or casual to put together a gaming PC. They don't understand our arguments about exclusives because literally all they want is a CoD/Skyrim machine.
The constant refreshes are going to bleed Sony and Microsoft dry because AFAIK they still sell their consoles at a loss. It's going to really cut into their bottom line if they don't get the chance to coast on older hardware like they used to.
However I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for Nintendo, since they have always sold their consoles at a profit. Millions of people buy new tablets every few years, and smartphones every two years when their contracts expire. If they're marketing the Switch as a "gaming tablet" then I think hardware refreshes every few years would practically be expected by consumers.
As says, technology improves incrementally these days, without the great generational leaps of the past. At this point it makes sense to transition from monolithic consoles to a "platform" that can tolerate devices with differing capabilities and handle arbitrary degrees of forward and backward compatibility. I'm cautiously optimistic; I think it will be better than the status quo in which people that buy a dud like the Wii U get screwed in long-term support.

Wrong. I was born in 1990 and am still able to find joy with the Atari 2600 and NES and other old systems. I also played Silent Hill and Resident Evil for the first time recently and loved every moment of them; granted, I did play yhose games with a 90's mindset and thinking about how impressive they would have been at the time.

The whole "nostalgia is the only reason" argument is so retarded. I will give you the N64, though. I know I only liked that because it was new and 3D.

It was really 1995-2005 when you could be guaranteed 5+ all-time classics and 20+ good-great games a year on any given (mainstream) platform. There were plenty great games before 1995 but not at quite the same rate (+ fewer all-time ageless classics) and some genres were still in their infancy/non-existent. There were also good games post-2005 but that was the start of the decline.

The Golden Age should be the point where funding and basic conventions are established to give a solid baseline for games and yet there's still plenty of experimentation going on.

Also the late 90s was a great time for consoles seeing ports of classic DOS games and multiplats that didn't hurt PC games. It was also before multiplayer was a proper thing on consoles (and the average normalfag didn't use the PC for shit all, mp or sp) so the focus was on quality single player content with actual length. Expanding multiplayer to any idiot with a console is the real cause of the decline in AAA gaming since you can shit out a low-effort game and still make a profit.

Enjoy all your censored games. I suppose if you still support Nintendo you never cared about whether your games were censored to begin with.

don't worry, VR is here now, soon none of us will have to live in this terrible nogaems reality.

Jesus Christ, is that you Travis?

The golden era of games hasnt even begun anyway, not until consoles finally die and the only platform to play on is PC

Nigger please

its mostly filler but fine