Shitty Wizard

I'm a filthy magic user and have been since DS1. I don't do any bosses without a meaty comrade to assist me, and I like to cheese through difficult areas by just using invisible and oneshotting with a spell.

I've been trying to play around more with melee since everybody seems to like the melee in the Souls games. What's the easiest possible melee build where even a shitty player like me can do in DS3?

Other urls found in this thread:

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=d2FycmlvciwyNywxNCwxMiw0MCwxMywxMSw0MCw5LDAsMjMsOSwzMiw5LDMxLDMyLDExNSwxMSwxMTMsMCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsMCwxMCwyMCwzOSwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLHdvb2RlbiwxLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDA=
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Starting class - Knight. Top-tier stat layout, starts with a 100% block shield and the Longsword. Work up to 40 STR 40 Dex and put a Refined infusion on the Longsword, and you're done. It doesn't get more faceroll than that.

Once you git gud with the melee combat, I'd recommend going through at least DS1 with a fun melee build. Dex/Pyro is easily the most powerful and versatile build in the game. Baller Swag Sword, Great Scythe, Uchi/Iaito, Silver Knight Spear, those are your bread and butter weapons for DS1.

My first playthrough in DS1 was a dex/pyro Warrior like said. Balder sidesword + light crossbow and a spear were my main weapons, with liberal use of pyromancies for burst damage from a safe distance. My second run was a faith/dex Knight. Balder sidesword + sunlight blade = ded 4 nigs in about two minutes. Healing and lightning spear were also very useful. Dragonslayer spear was also nice but not all that useful in retrospect.

Easiest melee build in DS3 is probably either Knight starter with longswords and just pump strength, dex and vitality as you go, or start as Wanderer with the sellsword twinblades and go hard on dex and stamina. The former you've got just a solid weapon which lets you still be defensive with a shield and the latter lets you stunlock 90% of the enemies in the game.

Playing DaS2 again after some time of rage quitting… now it feels a little easier for some reason, still, I wish my damage output was way better than it actually is, sometimes it seems like no matter where I go, new enemies take at least 4 hits to die.

Speaking as a Demons/Dark Souls 1 player who hasn't played 2 or 3. Take this with a grain of salt.

I recommend stacking Endurance/Vit, and use shit like Lightning and fire/chaos weapons that don't gain damage via scaling. Not the most optimal damage output, but you'll have optimal suitability. Which is what you need more of if you aren't used to melee combat. Remember, weapon upgrades are the source of your damage output with this style, so don't skimp on upgrading them.

Also remember, endurance is both your defense and offense. You need it to attack, you need it to dodge, you need it to block, and you need it to equip better stuff. And points in VIT are never wasted.

And if you still feel like it, you can still take pyromancy stuff.

Basically only put enough points in STR or DEX to use certain weapons with movesets you like. Dump the rest into VIT and END until you hit the caps, and then decide what you want to branch into from there. You'll have a deeper understanding of the game at that point, so you'll be better equipped to decide what stats you want after that.

Op the answer is simple. Mystic Swordsman. You start off as either a Sorcerer or as a Knight, whichever doesn't matter. Anyway, you take up a Longsword or a Broadsword, and you get yourself the Magic Weapon spell. Your primary stats are Str and Int, get both to 40. Your best catalyst is the Tin Crystalization Catalyst if you want the STRONGEST adjust for your buffs, but it comes at a price of halving your uses, so consider just using the standard sorcerer catalyst.

Do not use greatshields, this is a mystic swordsman not a god damn tower knight.

ONLY USE SORCERY FOR ENHANCEMENT MAGIC.
Likewise
ONLY RAISE ATTUNEMENT FOR UP TO 3 SPELL SLOTS.

You may use pyromancy, but only for enhancement magic as well. Do not put any points into Faith, do not use miracles. This isn't a Theurge, this is a class based entirely around enhancing their melee fighting capabilities with magic. No soul arrow.

To this end, the following are acceptable spells:
-Magic Weapon
-Crystal Magic Weapon
-Aural Decoy
-Remedy
-Repair
-Resist Curse
-Flash Sweat
-Iron Flesh
-Power Within

You may use resins to make up elemental weakness adjustments, but do not use dung pies, throwing knives, fire bombs, bows, etc.

Remember, this build is all about doing damage WITH YOUR LONGSWORD/BROADSWORD. So get that bitch to +15 when you can.

Get your VIT to 27 as well.

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=d2FycmlvciwyNywxNCwxMiw0MCwxMywxMSw0MCw5LDAsMjMsOSwzMiw5LDMxLDMyLDExNSwxMSwxMTMsMCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsMCwxMCwyMCwzOSwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLHdvb2RlbiwxLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDA=

Here's a Template if you start as a Warrior.

Sorcery is the undisputed speedrun class

greatshield of glory and dark sword.
Turtling.

This is probably the worst advice I've ever seen.

Wait, nevermind, this faggot topped it.

Go fuck yourself, Cuffy.

Fashion Souls 2 question
What combines with the Black Witch and Desert Sorcerer sets?

Ignore those fags OP. If you want to play Dark souls like a man then just go full strength and use heavy armour, I haven't played 3 but I assume most of the Dark souls 1 stuff is in it. Use a ultra greatsword like the Zweihander or black iron greatsword along with heavy armour, Havels armour looks like shit and is mainly for memelords so try something like Black iron armour which is designed for men.
A shield is completely optional, you can use a greatshield but you will likely be better off going pure two handed as a shield will just give you bad habits since your used to cowering behind others anyway. Consider something like the grass crest shield for the stamina buff and then just focus on using two handed for the most part, maybe keep a good magic resist shield in your second slot that you can quickly switch too if you need to block a spell.

Your playstyle should revolve greatly around correct positioning and exploiting enemy AI and recovery times. You will swing slowly but in a wide arc and with high stagger so you should have an easier time with mobs. Pump points into stamina since a manly weapon like the greatsword will use more of it and you will need to have plenty of it left to ensure you can dodge. Heavy armour is great for looks but you mainly want to focus on dodging rather than trying to facetank since I hear poise got fucked in DS3 and facetanking is a boring way to play anyway. You can try powerstancing heavy weapons if you want but I always prefered just two handing them myself.

Wow user you're such a pro oldfag

I need to find a way to get better quality screens, maybe I have to play in fullscreen at a higher resolution?

Anyway, I wanted a more Magician-ish kind of look but ended up having only a mildly sexy warrior.

DaS1?
Fastroll with lightning Zwei.

Quality build.
Choose one or two early-game weapons you can achieve within the first few hours of game. My pick is almost always a halberd or battleaxe. Set your goal to raise your stats to their minimum to wield the weapons as soon as you acquire them, then pump points into health, equip load and stamina for a while.

Your goal after you have a solid amount of vitality and stamina will be to pump your stats to have three to four weapons for any circumstance you might find. For me I always have a Halberd for the healthy mix of stopping power and ranged attack, bow for pulling and hitting annoying enemies at range, a broadsword/longsword for lightly-armored enemies that are easily staggered and a greataxe for very slow and heavily armored foes. Shield is up to you. Consumable items are you friend - you will learn to use and cycle them as though they were spells but used more sparingly as your versatility is enough to deal with any thrash mobs you find.

I can chew through every De/DaS game without any magic of my own, and I have come to find it easier than any sort of magic build. Lately I have been trying out full magic builds myself but it feels like a self-imposed challenge instead.

Speaking of shields, why was there a huge amount of 100% damage reduction shields available in DaS1 compared to DaS2? not to mention their max stability, a Kite shield was usually the second best only compared to Balder's.

DaS2 was designed to be hard from the ground up, ergo you can't go about just chucking 100% redux and 60+ stability shields all over the place. I preferred Silver Knight's shield though since you got 72 stability (greatshield levels) for only 5 weights.

Maybe From just didn't realize how important chip damage was sometimes in the game? If you ask me if you want a shield that greatly resists magic (70+ damage absorption) it should at least miss out on some normal damage absorption. Also I hope you mean medium shields because greatshields blow everything out of the water when it comes to stability.
MFW farming Balder Knights for hours right before Bellfry Gargoyles, often getting invaded, sometimes hearing a bell toll in the distance…

In DaS2

Still, no medium shield reaches 70 stability as far as I can see, it would have been good if higher upgrades amped up the bonus multipliers to compensate, but as usual DaS2 was made difficult for the sake of being mindlessly difficult, I mean, is been quite easier than the last time I played, but still annoying, in the first game it was easy to pick one set of weapons and stick to them early in the game, most weapons in DaS2 have higher requirements that sometimes make no sense.

Also, all those healing items ruined the thrill about having to use estus, not to mention how horribly nerfed the estus regen rate became, a lot of cheap deaths happen because your enemy decides to read your inputs and go for a fast attack the moment you want to drink and its attack outspeeds the estus healing rate (which was quite fast in the first game)

It was all really because Bamco decided to market the PC release as "PREPARE TO DIE" and the series became known for its difficulty instead of the environments, the secrets, the obscurity and the surprisingly in-depth combat, so they made the difficult but fair game unfairly difficult, made the game known for good and interconnected level design have shit level design and fucking teleporting shit everywhere, as well as starting the "Dark Souls is the hardest game I have ever played!!11!1" meme.

God fucking damnit.

I can only talk for DS2:SotFS PC.

Fashion:

Levelling:

forgot images FUCK

pics related:

power stancing greatswords is the best

Face it, DeS was never good, DaS was a one-off success, and everything Fromshit has churned out since has been fatally flawed in one way or another.

I swear the "first death" achievement in DaS2 made me cringe just for the name, it would have been way better if they used "Prepare to Die" instead of "Hurr, this is Dark Souls" same with the old ladies literally saying you will lose your souls over and over again.

Yes, that's what was wrong with DaS2.

Not Soul Memory which ruined everything. Not the shit-tier lingering hitboxes/shockwaves. Not ADP. Not broken grab animations.

It was the fucking memes that ruined it.

I can't say I had any difficulty with DaS2 the first time through, though I put a good portion of that down to deciding to do a mace/faith crusader build which by pure coincidence ended up being both of the most overpowered things in the game. Maybe it's just because I had such an easy time the first go through but if I had to rate all the games on difficulty I'd say 2 is easiest, Darklurker is the only boss I've ever taken more than 3 tries to beat.

The estus timing and enemy AI just has to be relearned from 1 I wouldn't say it's better or worse. I also wouldn't have a problem with lifegems if they cost significantly more, like 1000 souls each.

I disagree and I think a lot of people are just salty they can't run past all the enemies and play the game like a shitty MonHun boss rush in any game in the series but DaS1, but I think a lot of the vitriol comes from the bizzarre and misplaced worship of Miyazaki as some kind of god of game design prior to the DaS3 release. I remember souls threads very quickly almost died a few weeks after DaS3 came out because people were struggling to admit it was bad and the game didn't have enough content to really talk about.

…what?

I agree but it was an always-online game so the lag played a big part too.
What? You mean the resistances or the i-frames from agility?

I tried making Guts once, parrying with greatswords is unreliable and I can't use a shield if I want to stick to the original, not sure about the fashion though, decided to go with my spellcaster waifu for now.

Never played Demon Souls, but Dark Souls was pretty well for me, the only thing missing was 60FPS (DSFix doesn't count, I have to switch it on and off if I want to play the game as intended)

Hilariously done, user! You sure showed us!

Wanna talk about all that? I can also complain about those weird hitboxes/shockwaves and the turntable enemies, not to mention the parry system that was very rewarding in the first game and now it punishes you for trying to do the thing you did back then, correct me if I am wrong, but in most games where there is parry, isn't it supposed to be used when the attack is about to hit you? in DaS2 it is very counter-intuitive because it moves the parry frames to the middle of the animation instead of the very beginning of it, not to mention the whole randomness and prediction level you are supposed to have, it becomes easier to parry with medium shields than fucking target shields and weapons that were actually designed to parry.

Grow some balls…

Estus healing was nearly instantaneous, which was compensated by having to stop to take a drink, if you come from DaS1 and try to drink estus in combat the same way you used to then you will get killed more than 50% of the time, estus becomes slower to drink, slower to heal, basically inferior to lifegems, their trade off should have been just the mobility but there are times they heal way faster than the flask.

Don't get me started on that, the main problem in that stat among other stat splits was that you never knew exactly when you got the i-frames since the animation was always the same.

Parrying is usually very rewarding, not sure what are you talking about, unless you mean with a 2 handed sword exclusively, in DaS1 I was less about blocking and all about parrying whatever was able to get parried, seeing bosses like that in DaS2 was interesting, until you see how useless it becomes since they don't even stagger after a parry.

The first time you get hit by a shockwave you should know when it's coming and dodge it the second time, honestly this sounds like the complaints newbies on release when they kept using up all their stamina on the giants leg and didn't have any left to roll away. It's your own fault if you get hit by a shockwave after the first time, every move is telegraphed.

Backstabbing literally every enemy in DaS1 was easy as piss, just because it made your life easy doesn't mean it was good.

You mean very easy in the first game, it made the final boss a pathetic joke.
This hasn't been my experience, though I can't speak for the target shield specifically I did do a whole NG+ run with rapier/parry dagger and found parrying to be much more consistent than with a medium shield.

A lot of the criticism of DaS2 seems to be that it's not DaS1, which is how we ended up with DaS3. The rest seems to be that the game is too hard, which to me is inexplicable.

I guess, but once you know the heal timings it's not like its ever a problem. If I get hit while healing it can only ever be one of two things, I don't know the enemy timing/ai, or I panic chugged.

1.- it was the time they linger, not because they couldn't be dodged, an example of that would be like the giant soldiers in the first game, their shield smash "stays" there for 1-2 seconds after the shield hits the floor.

2.- the turtle enemies in DaS2 have an anti-backstab move anyway, just to name an example of how to counter that, but their insane tracking looks unnatural, they literally spin around.

3.- Gwyn was an interesting case, but as usual, the system was still intuitive enough, you call it easy, I say it made more sense in the first game.

My criticisms for DaS2 are mostly in how the gameplay took a few steps back from being a little more intuitive in the grand scheme of things, stuff that would be more common in games of the genre were thrown out the window for the sake of making it more difficult in a bad way and in some cases mentioned it even made it look weird.

As for the healing, either balance out the items or stick to the only one that was really needed.

STR/DEX character, washing pole. all you need to win.

shitty wizard

Is that image supposed to transform or something when you click it?

I feel you, I only play mage on every game ds included. For people like us, melee is shit it might be fun at first but it'll get boring after a while
Perfect your mage build. Magic is much, much better in ds2 and 3

Holy shit, what? Nothing even comes close to how strong Magic (and Pyromancy) is in 1.

Miracles came pretty fucking close in DS2 until they nerfed them into oblivion, and magic in 3 might as well not even exist.

Magic. Sorceries, the shiny blue ones. ds1 had you ponder about your existance before you could cast a single soul arrow

If you haven't played 3 then don't recommend shit based on how the other games are, it makes you look fucking retarded.

A straight sword with refined infusion and 40/40 str/dex is pretty easy. Or go Anri's sword with high luck and carthus rouge since almost every boss will bleed like fucking crazy. Magic is mostly shit in 3 anyway, it was clearly designed for straight sword r1 spamming.

The cast times are not significantly faster in 3 and all the enemies are much faster with larger aggro ranges and shorter lock on ranges which negate the cast time decrease and then go even further in making magic ineffective. Plus the damage numbers aren't even very good, 60 int with a maxed catalyst and all the damage boosting gear doesn't even get any spells other than Soul Stream to damage levels comparable with single hits from halberds or greatswords with far less stat investment.

I dont know what to say, I walked my way through ds2 and 3 like a stroll, some enemies had shorter lock on ranges but you could dodge anyway when you learned them. Not saying I am a pro because I cant handle using or receiving melee, but this morning I won 8 invasions with 80 int and 50 att

Wait, wait. The fact that DS1 has you wait a few minutes before giving you access to spells (that are ridiculously more powerful than every other game in the series), it's worse than 2 or 3 where they're shit?

I think he means they take too long to cast.

I mean it's shit for pvp. DS's pve is ridiculously easy to beat on all games, and specially easy with magic. The only challenge is on invasions. Call me what you want, but wining on a video game is what makes me feel alive

Also that

I prefer spells that take a while to cast, and can 2-3 shot bosses, than faster casted spells that do less than a fucking straight sword R1.

PVE is only as easy as you make it. Create a challenge run for yourself and I guarantee you'll have more fun and it'll be hard.

Also Homing Crystal Soulmass is fucking fantastic in PVP, as are the MLBH and MLGS. Sorcs are 100% easymode in DS1 because of how powerful they are in every aspect of the game.

I've won invasions on int characters too but just because it's possible to win with it doesn't make it not an objectively shittier build in both PvP and PvE than strength, dexterity or quality builds.

You're not one of those I have to play the most optimal build or I can't enjoy myself fags are you?

I'll have to retry ds1, I only remember getting trashed in the woods because I didnt have time to cast one spell in combat

I can only play int

If I was I wouldn't have like 60 hours on a crummy sorcerer build with loads of titanite dumped into gimmick gear like they Heysel Pick and the Darkmoon Bow. There's a point where going against optimization ceases to be fun though, and that's around the 20th time when you've carefully manuevered and baited for over a minute to land a perfectly set up big spell on someone just to not even take out half their health and then get two shot by their lazy r1 counterattacks.