Hacking

How would you make a hacking segment in a game both fun and not completely? Are there any games that already do this well?

just make pseudo bash and then all the reviewers who didn't even play your game will be like wow 3deep5me so realistic. 10/10

I love the one from Human Revolution and Alpha Protocol, so I guess I'd merge them.

I enjoyed the one in Bioshock too, kinda puzzle-like

"and not completely inaccurate", I meant to say. Don't know why I didn't type that word.

Uplink does a good job until you figure out how to break the game and remove all risk of your shit getting traced back to your terminal.

Why would you want an accurate hacking segment?
Games don't even have accurate gun models and movement models.

Not really hacking but "The Starship Damrey" start is you trying to manually reboot the system while you're in a deep sleep chamber and it was super fun to do. Sadly this is the only time in the game you can do that sort of thing

ctrl + c to hack

I'd make people use an actual terminal, but keep all the programs, scripts and README in the current directory. Maybe have it built in to something like a Pip-Boy to make it seem more appealing to fuck with.

You can always imagin those circuit programming games as hacking games and you got the perfect hardcore hacking game

I remember that one HL2 multiplayer mod having a cyberspace you had to fight in. It was fun

How are these related to hacking and why does not having them mean we can't have something else?

Not completely what? Tedious? Boring? Shit?

Hard to say. Bioshock 2, Ratchet and Clank, and E.Y.E. did it well, I would say.

Dystopia? That was pretty sharp, sort of like an updated version of System Shock 1 cyberspace.

Instead of showing the player raw code, show them logical flowcharts, and then show the state of memory in a clear and comprehensible manner. Force the player to understand the program in order to submit an explosive payload that will cause the program to misbehave or go full buffer overflow.

largo winch did it ok

hold F to hack

I really liked the way EYE handled it.
Why is Uplink so fun

Bioshock 2 casualized that shit for the btter

Accurate hacking sim would be really fucking boring. You spend several months grinding away on some program writing an exploit, then on the day to use it you cross your fingers and hit enter and in the next few seconds it's in God's hands like a moonshot and will either succeed or fail and then it's over. And the exploit dev part is only fun if you're a "half A-press" kind of guy, it's quite similar.
I'd ditch the software side of hacking and make it human. Have all the 'hacking' be Blood Money style convoluted where you trick people into doing things like opening ports on their firewall by learning how to write emails that sound like the CEO, searching offices elebits-style for post-its, threatening to reveal the IT guy is a furry (they all are), stopping employees on the street and claiming you're doing a study on password strength and ask for theirs (this actually works), etc..

Related was comfy