JanusVR

What ever happened to this? Shit was pretty cash. I know we had some rooms set up. We even watched a few movies together then it died out.

Other urls found in this thread:

usagii.net/wikiverse/Infinity_Chan_(Mature)_(Metaverse)
guhnoo.org/meta/Janus_VR
vesta.janusvr.com
anonyma.info/
twitter.com/officialjanusvr/status/779538039278227456
bamvr.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I remember 8ch was having issues stay online at the time. So it was hard to keep threads going. I still sign on every now and then to see the updates. I actually met with the devs a few times. They seemed nice. They added some new and improve rooms since then too.

What's it been like almost two years now? Did the Cathedral of Misogyny ever get finished? Last time I logged in I remember the Holla Forums space was broken as in none of walls or the floor would render.
Wouldn't mind revisiting it though.

Damn it has been a while.

Maybe people quit after a few hours/days after the novelty wore off and they realized that the ""game"" is shit.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious it was still in "alpha". I wonder if the room scripts have gotten better. I remember some rooms having half decent first person shooter controls, and an F-Zero room that worked pretty well.

I haven't thought about that in a while. Weren't models importing all goofed up back then or something?

Rooms have gotten better

I remember it was a pain in the ass to get models that had more then one texture map to work, but that was a year ago.

Lighting has been improved. Doesn't just crash like it did before. I recommend messing with the settings like cache size, and turning off Anti-aliasing, if memory serves, that caused a lot of crashing before.

I know there is a new graphics renderer which changes a few things but sort of fucked up my lazy way of adding shade to a mirrored link portal. Essentially you can add "mirrors" by adding a portal to your own website and enabling the mirrored boolean in the fireroom code or firebox. There has been some new ui system in place and additions to javascript support, if you want some decent example of nice rooms check out spyduck's rooms, he makes use of javascript and shaders in some of his rooms. Vesta is the new name for the place where you can make your own rooms if usagii isn't what you want.
As for our own room that anons worked on almost two years ago, its still hosted somehow on usagii wikiverse as Infinity Chan Mature, never gets touched on but its still open for any user to change the code and add new shit to it. It used to be pretty but because of the hosting website changing names and changing owners, assets got broken. I can't forget the time when anons where going strong on making content and making our vr room beautiful, then when the DDOS attacks came, the threads just sort of died and eventually got forgotten on top of the fact that this isn't a superb game

I did a bit of work on the 8ch page but I have completely lost the link. Whats the link again?

The problem is that there really is no game aspect to it. It's a virtual world visualizer for websites.

It's a spiritual successor to Worlds.com, and as great as I found that back in the day, it is still pretty boring when all there is to do is explore and ogle avatars.

usagii.net/wikiverse/Infinity_Chan_(Mature)_(Metaverse)
For some reason it won't open inside janusvr for me so I go to the usagii portal in the lobby then enter the scrolling portal to my left

as soon as i checked anti aliasing off the it crashed and now crashes on start up

Ok that's strange, I boot janus vr and it starts to load but then instantly closes?

I made the Quake 3 room, got the crosshair and weapon spawns working but couldnt get the weapon to pickup or get it to fire.

It doesn't crash even it just acts like it is told to close the program as soon as it loads. What the fuck.
Error log ain't helping either
[Wed Nov 2 20:04:43 2016] error loading "vesta.janusvr.com/janus-server/partymodeAPI.php"

I've tried to finish it, but dropped because lack of interest on 8ch

wew. looks better and better each time.

For me the issue was more that no one else was online when i was, kinda hard to stay engaged when the shit is empty, i still liked how the Holla Forums stuff was actually among the better designed and thought out areas.

Skewed Head Tom Nook Master Race.

hmm, does it look like a dick on the outside from the front angle?

I remember the wiki page went into disarray for some reason.

does this game have megaman battle network style battles yet?

Yeah, i dont remember if it was something to do with the whole website itself buy essentially the original page didnt worked anymore and somehow got archived in a mature section so the page itself isn't completely gone. I think it used to be hosted elsewhere before it got on usagii which explains why the whole room dissapeared except for a few assets here and there.

You can supposedly do some basic scripting on websites to create "games". I doubt anyone has used it at all.

Nah, unless someone knows javascript and can work around the engine, there wont be any fancy interactive rooms other than opening doors or playing that frogger game for as long as there is no one creating content for it.
It's not impossible to make but it wont be as fun

Here are a few webms I kept from that period

You might still find a thread about it on >>>/vir/

And my favourite one

is that the city from kirby air ride?

yes

Same shit's been happening to me, too. I have no idea what's up.

These threads really died out because people were giving it more time to be developed as a tool a bit more. It was pretty much a prototype back when threads still happened though, it was fun and intresting but it was plagued with hard to set up nuances and with lots of bugs.

I tried to download the game but it gave me shit about missing a libovr dll or some shit. Do I need to download the Oculus installer from the site and do that shit before getting in, even if I don't have a headset? Or am I just missing something?

I got Windows 7 finally after being on Shitsta for years, but now I can't even run the game. I gave up on it a month ago or so when I first tried to get in, but now since there's a thread I'm wondering if anyone will be able to point me in the right direction or not.

Yeah, it was (and might still be a prototype).
The thing is, it's not really a game.
More a "3D browser" than anything. So anons who want to do something with it need to make something that's pretty much a website, but makes use of the 3D thing.

I was thinking about us writing an actual Imageboard for it, since there doesn't seem to be anything like that in there.
Remember those scenes where Lain goes into the Wired? Something like this.
I'm still conceptualizing it, but if someone wants to throw ideas:

Problem is organizing it in 3D. Where would text you post go to? How do you show posts in 3D? How do you present it? How can you tell who said what?

There's also the problem of anons wanting to hop from thread to thread. I keep 4-5 tabs open with multiple threads for instance. Maybe when you're inside a thread, you could open a window and check the other threads? Maybe some sort of "quick-reply" so you wouldn't need to hop to that thread?

This also highly depends on what Janus let's us work with. Maybe we oughta get in contact with them and see if they can cobble up something for us.
Or we call upon the /g/entooman and hope they're slightly more sane today.

Kinda forgot about it, but it's important enough to mention:
This would work if:

If we also take the concept of "Infinite boards" from 8ch to it, to enter a board would require a sort of "Stargate" or something, where you punch in a name of the board, or hit "random".

posting from JanusVR right now, it's pretty neat.

that is becaus it's not a game at all, it's browser

Been talking to one of the dev's on the subreddit he says he's releasing a 54.1 version that should fix the problem.

Fixed it! hopping online now.

Well rip looks like vrsites has eaten a bunch of our pages obj's, anyone got them backed up? probably not

They fucked up several server transitions. VRsites is a graveyard of dead links and broken pages.

there's also a thread on Werchan that's got a slow-yet-consisten level of thread activity incase a person's too fucking lazy to start a new thread
guhnoo.org/meta/Janus_VR
sage for barely on-topic post

Works for me now, too.
Anyone remember that page with all the selectable avatars on it?

but user I'm interested so keep doing it

going to reinstall for a lil' bit
bump

My major issue is that after a few pages, it will stop loading pages, and I have to close the Janus out completely. I assume that before it would just crash. Anyone else have this issue?

I did, but I can't get to that hard drive right now. Maybe I'll fix the link rot when I can.

Just a head's up, this cathedral is a free model used by academics and such for rendering papers and shit. Search for "Sibenik Cathedral." So no, no one from here made it and it isn't designed to look like a dick from any angle.

You clearly aren't looking hard enough, and you lack imagination.

if viewing this image means ive been raped then i can blog about it

Hasn't happened to me, at least not yet.

vesta.janusvr.com is pretty much the updated website for all your vr room needs and repository of objs, dropbox can't be used anymore to link directly to objs for reasons i don't remember. Github can be used to host some files too for vr rooms I believe.
I played around with blender a few times to make some stuff for my room and recently discovered crocotile3d for the 3d-looking 2d tiles which would be nice for a few cool-looking objects. I got free time on my hands except for weekdays in the evening so although I'm nowhere near as good as regular modelers in blender, I wouldn't mind helping out the 8ch room again if it means bringing more life into our room.

mixtape.moe should work

and yeah I was going to remove all the lost obj references for the sake of making the room cleaner, but if we can get them back and rehost them I'll leave them alone.

or that simpsons episode that happens in the future and the scene where lisa plugs herself to the internet through a cable and a hole in her neck

Haven't messed with Janus in a while. I saw that old fountain I made for the Holla Forums room, and it looks like something's broken the little shader that makes it animated. Is it because of Dropbox, or did something change in how Janus does shaders?

dropbox for some reason decided to discontinue the rendering of html content, i got no official source but many people claiming they got the email saying

What if each thread is a conference room with a large table in the centre, where you could take a place and chat? Have some big round table with a hologram projector on top displaying posts. If there's a way to make it always face the client this would allow you to see the thread wherever you sit. Unspoilered pictures used in the thread could be shown on the walls as decorations.
Only problems to solve would be:
Maybe writing it on a piece of paper in front of you on the desk? All it would have to do is tie it to whoever wrote it, so it doesn't matter where you sit
Maybe have a login display in the board's main room where you "sign in" by filling out a captcha, which then stops Holla Forums nagging you for it when you're in a thread. There's no login credentials, it's just a page where you fill in the captcha.

Was supposed to be a reply

Then I suggest we try drawing some picture of what the room should look like at the very least, to see what sort of ideas anons would have in mind for the room, then if we agree on some ideas we bring em to life. As for the more functional part of features, we can try pseudo-code to get the general idea then implement it in javascript like for example about your idea of windows, We have initially blank windows but with some codework, it could dynamically refer to what current threads are on which page in which order then when an user reloads the room should be the same as refreshing the website itself although I'm no good coder so far.

I want to yell through windows in virtual reality

I wan 2 erp in vr

Honestly that sounds more like an over complicated chat room. Though the ability to post pictures on the fly would be neat.

Honestly the space is mess. I remember the space kinda having a movie theater vibe with the maroon or burgundy colored walls, Hitler sieg heiling the large Hotwheels statue that also had a naked woman cradling it, some random Chun-Li statues & the Facing Worlds theme from UT99 playing in the background. Also the EYE. SS13, Frogger, Spyro, & Hard Life spaces are broken. The only space still around not counting the boards and" Holla Forums sings rescue girl" is the Holla Forums mall which is surprisingly still intact.

I'm studying atm but I'll work on cleaning up more, already dropped the random practice objects people had around and the mini shrine, maybe put everything indoors with a hallway of boards?

Oh shit nigger.

I'm the guy who made the space station 13 room, the Holla Forums mall, and the E.Y.E. divine cybermancy area.

I kinda just left to work on other things.
I have my own website now:
anonyma.info/

currently working on a metric shit-ton of stuff at the moment, as well as procrastination, but if regular janusVR threads are a thing I will definitely model some more stuff. I've definitely improved since then.

pls make more

Thanks!

I'm seriously considering making a hubworld using my new website

Really liked the rooms there cool guy, I'd like to see what else more you can also do

As anons in the thread have said, Holla Forums was also being ddos'd hard around the time that had something to do with it dying, despite the threads being on the front page and really active.
This kind of sounds like a combination of what we already had and how the game works already, stuff we can not do and a little of this twitter.com/officialjanusvr/status/779538039278227456
\
Not sure why that post was directed at me though.
No, just no.

Shaders aren't written in HTML though, they're written in GLSL.

After some digging, though, it turns out the problem actually does lie with Janus, not Dropbox. Apparently they changed up their shader framework some time ago, breaking any shader made before this change. And they didn't bother to update their documentation to reflect it. So I had to check out the sample shaders located in Janus's program directory to figure out what they changed. Once I modified my own shader to work with the new variables, the fountain came back to life. And Dropbox still works okay too, so I didn't have to change anything in the Holla Forums room.

Who draws these and where are more?

me

Congrats to Trump winning the presidency, if you guys want to revel in some Trump room go to this link bamvr.com
I didn't made this room but I thought it would fit the victory.

These where from a while back, but from what I understand, the engine has changed a bit since then, not to mention the rooms existing or not existing.

Last one came out weird, trying again.

A true patriot. I'll leave the rest of the room for others to look at. I like the stage user.