Crimson skies

Why the fuck did I never hear about this game before?

I just beat this game and I wish there was more to it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there was ever mods for it.

Also

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies:_High_Road_to_Revenge
eff.org/deeplinks/2016/01/well-probably-never-free-mickey-thats-beside-point
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Play this next

The XBOX version? What's different?

why do you want a steam release? odds are the devs an hero, just pirate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies:_High_Road_to_Revenge

And Crimson Skies is not a flight sim.

it's the better game

It's an entirely different game. It does these like hub levels with a bunch of missions scattered around them that you do in whatever order you want while progressing along a story involving blimps armed with lighting weapons and ancient Aztec treasure.

Potentially incorporated multiplayer support through the steam client would be nice considering the original ran off MSN

Oddly enough while the original developer bit the dust many of the original creators reincorporated and stated they wanna continue the franchise at some point. It's moreso that Microsoft owns the IP.

Generally any flying game that plays better with a joystick and actually uses things like the throttle is a flight sim to me.

Flying around in and out of the clouds and dropping on enemies is one of my warmest video game memories. I wish that Xbox one would come to PC. I wonder if it runs like crap on the 360.

As of 4 years ago it wouldn't even play on 360.

Many OG Xbox games aren't compatible with 360.

And unfortunately, some of the best ones that are compatible run like garbage anyway. JSRF struggles to get above like 10FPS in certain areas. When I went to 99th Street I thought my 360 was going to die.

That whole emulator thing made me go from excited to depressed within like 5 minutes of looking into it before. I'll just have to pick up an old Xbox, there's some good stuff hiding in that catalog.

Impossible Creatures nigger. Don't count it out on account of microsoft.

Fuck OP, the image alone reminded me of one of my childhood favorites: Silent Thunder: A10 Tank Killer II.

I have no idea if anybody else played this, but I thought it was challenging as shit when I was a kid. I just kept trying to down MiG-21s with my cannon. Did so successfully way more often than I probably should have.

Was bought by Nordic. Has nothing to do with Microsoft anymore.

What I'm referring to is how it's very rare Microsoft themselves re-releases their older first party published games. Especially from this era. Like the lone exceptions are stuff like Flight Simulator X and Age of Empires 2. But other stuff like Zoo Tycoon, Age of Empires 1, Motocross Madness etc will forever remain disk only and forgotten by time.

This game needs to be remade.

Btw, if anybody ever figures out a way to get my old fucking Silent Thunder II disks to work on newer OSes, let me know. I've tried in vain for probably 5 years.

THQ got the IP when they bought Relic and Nordic bought the IP in their acquisition. Bit of a clusterfuck.

True that MS are a bit of a clusterfuck when it comes to their old library but I remember when Rise Of Nations HD came out, Phil Spencer said they knew the titles wouldn't sell unless they modernized them for newer net play protocols and achievements and they are doing the same things with the Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince remasters.

Crimson Skies would be amazing but the problem is that the online server clients ran entirely with GameSpy on the PC version so everything would have to be re-updated to work with them. Same with both PC Motocross Madness games. It's understandable and kinda noble that if they want to re-release them then they update them for modern day, but still fucked for the people who just want to play them.

It's a FASA IP, they sold them to MicroShaft. It's dead Jim.

neither is Ace Combat

but it's fun

Panzer dragoon orta PAL literally crashes after the first level.

Microsoft never puts their old games on GOG. This is known.

Gotta pirate their old stuff.

I remember CS on the xbox. Great fkn game tbh and I'm surprised nobody ever tried that formula since.

There's also ShadowRun and MechWarrior that they're not doing anything with. I'd be fine with them doing this if they were original Microsoft IPs but instead they just bought them to leave lingering in obscurity. They'll spend hundreds of millions on garbage like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Ryse while ignoring quality brands they own.

Just use a virtual machine with xp or 98/95 on it. Look up Virtual Box, download it alongside a Windows iso and install.

There are tons of step by step tutorials on youtube and you can use a USB filter so your host OS doesn't see the second mouse/keyboard or gamepad you plug in sending it directly to the VM. Either fullscreen or in a window, you can also drag or paste files into your virtual desktop.

This works on GNU/Linux and OSX too. It might sound complicated but setting it up for gaming works great.

Even redditors laugh at this now.

the PC game was a "light sim," it mostly flies like planes

What? My dad played through the whole thing on an original Xbox 360 Elite more than 4 years ago.

Only after the current market dies. I want progressive fuckers who insert their agendas into lore to go fuck themselves.

I guess I can't blame you for not knowing about the game if you never had an OG Xbox when it came out. It was big on multiplayer. There's a boardgame with miniatures and some regular old books using the setting, too. Someone albeit not terribly well made a Devastator for Sky Rogue, too.

Because Microshaft and Vlave fifty full dollars for what had been a free mod for Half-life

Ah shit sorry, meant Crimson Skies, not counterstrike. Crimson Skies was basically GTA in the air with a cool alt-history timeline.

It's a much better game, with zeppelins that eat other zeppelins and weather machines.

fun fact: lemmy kilmister fucking loved this game.

Different developer as well. The original was done by Zipper Interactive. High Road To Revenge was done by an internal Microsoft team who just decided to do it one day. The story goes that a small internal team wanted to do a new Crimson Skies. Took over an empty room in the building MS Gaming Studios were stationed in, produced a vertical slice and showed it to J Allard, who greenlit the game as long as they put an online component in. Even though the real FASA were working on MechAssault, they got permission to call themselves FASA Studios to release it after they showed Jordan Weisman (Head of FASA and creator of the original board game) the game and he loved it. And it only took 15 months to make (The camaign was a bit short at the time since it was only about 10-12 hours long but it was pretty damn fun).

After the game shipped, they worked on some DLC Maps and Planes and then disbanded to other projects because the game sold well enough to make it's budget back but it wasn't a massive hit to get an immediate sequel.

Apparently MS studios was a crazy as shit place in the original Xbox days because teams could just take over a room and work on what they wanted. You compare that to the xbone launch where they had to fight to get Killer Instinct made because an exec told MS Studios "Fighting Games are a dead genre" and it's insane how much it changed.

Phil Spencer said he's really interested in going back to the FASA IP's "At the right time". The only thing they really have hinted at or at least there's smoke around them are Shadowrun and MechCommander.

Crimson Skies seems lower on the list even though it's the right time to bring it back since War Thunder and "World Of" games are popular as fuck.

Doesn't a company lose the IP if they don't do anything with it?

I miss Lemmy
Fuck you /mu/ for killing him with meme magic

Kind of, but not really. You can risk losing a copyright if you fail to protect it, and that's the reason most companies give for DMCA'ing fangames and shit. Modern copyright law lets you sit on a IP for decades and not do anything with it, though.
Most of the times when a company rushes something out to avoid losing a license it's because they licensed it for X years.

One of my most treasured possessions is my Crimson Skies manual, from back in the days when PC games came in big fucking boxes. Pic related.

I can photograph each page if anyone's interested in looking through it?

I fucking loved Crimson Skies back in the day. Excellent game and I've always been disappointed with the way M$ have squatted on the IP and done nothing with it since HRtR. I'd kill to see a remake of the original CS in a modern engine.

Screw it. Even if no one replies and this thread 404s, I'll post pics of the manual/magazine anyway. I imagine at least one person out there will see them and get some enjoyment out of them.

I'll photograph the whole thing and then start posting. Give me about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, enjoy the opening cinematic from CS.

Here we go.

They can say whatever they want, the last decade has shown the world what they really think about the gaming industry. It's a avenue they use to push Windows and nothing more.

Those terrible Fantastic Four movies are a perfect example of this. It's called an ashcan copy in the comic book world.

There's also work entering the public domain after a few decades of the creator's death but Disney paid enough money to have the law changed and prolong their ownership until 2018. They've stopped using Mickey Mouse as much recently in case they aren't able to renew it again.

eff.org/deeplinks/2016/01/well-probably-never-free-mickey-thats-beside-point

And this is all of it. Hope you guys enjoyed it, they sure as hell don't make manuals like this anymore unfortunately.

Thanks, it's pretty amazing how much effort they put into that manual.

And Battlefield is a milsim, and Forza Motorpsport a racing sim.

Thanks for making this thread, user. I decided to torrent the game and I've been having a blast. I love these goofy little bits of lore or photos/drawings I get after I beat a mission. It's even cooler that there's an option to export them directly to desktop.

You should put those images on your computer, right click and hit 'Rotate Clockwise,' that way you don't get that weird image turn thing going on and it will always be right-side-up.

God damn it, you had to remind me why Microshit were kikes back then who loves destroying and bankrupting their IPs and talent, FASA is dead along with countless other studios.

Fun fact, this, the MechAssault games, and Bloodwake form a land/sea/air trifecta of good original Xbox games.

Just started playing this yesterday user.

It's a bit repetitive so it doesn't lend itself to long sessions, but otherwise it's amazing.

This game is the best