Are there any recent developments or trends in vidya or the vidya industry which you like?

Are there any recent developments or trends in vidya or the vidya industry which you like?

There's soon to be a few dozen or so jobless VAs. That's pretty nice.

I don't see how this is a positive trend, considering we won't go back to text based games, thus we won't get dialogue complexity and good character development, so in turn we'll get the same exact shit we have now but with even worse, cheaper VAs.
And it won't benefit resource allocation in terms of budget because 99% of the budget is wasted on marketing no matter what.

So in short this doesn't benefit video games.
If it doesn't benefit video games, it's useless.

here's what we'll get: scab VAs who a) won't suck up the entire budget and b) might actually be good, as opposed to at least half of the current crop of "big names"

fucking stunt pay. what a retarded thing to strike over. stunt pay!

This is actually a pretty good question and not some cuckchan immigrant shitpost.

It's kind of hard to answer, though. I mean, when discussing AAA games, there's really not much going on outside of genres being genres. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't really seem like the market is absolutely saturated with AAA garbage - you get the annual CoD/Ass Creed that turbo-normalfags buy, play, and never talk about again, and then you get the annual 3 or so "failed" AAA games that is either undermarketed, broken, or plain shit. Then every 3-5 years, a game from a series respected by hipsters and nugamers gets a new release.

Really, there aren't any "trends" in the industry as of now. 20 years ago, 3D platformers were the shit, 10 years ago, FPS games were the shit. Hard to tell what's going on right now because the turbo-normalfags are shifting to mobile gaming and AAA companies are trying to keep those normalfags on gaming consoles/PC's.

In other words, there's not much going on in AAA games other than trying to stay relevant. All we're getting is sequels, spinoff's, and clones of various other games in different genres.

Firearm animations are top tier nowadays and most dont trigger my autism.

I like that resolution scaling is a thing in the options nowadays. It sure makes my screen look blurry as fuck, but at least my toaster can run it, and it does a lot to boost framerates.

anons falling for it

Post more than (2) posts and we'll talk.

The market is slowly being saturated with new talents and is more open despite all attempts to stop this by prominent DRM-platforms and shitpost companies, and I can look forward to excellent content from "indie but not shit" studios from across the world like
as they develop into fully-fledged gaming studios.

Crowdfunding, while not perfect, still allows for a funding method without devs needing to prostitute themselves out to publishers, which is nice

More and more japanese games are getting PC ports

the vidya industry keeps getting closer and closer to a second collapse. I can't wait until a reboot comes around

Well the graphics keep getting better.
not that I can experience anything post 2010/directx9 with my toaster

And we have a winner.

Most good games are old and ugly, most new games are shiny turds. Remasters and remakes can make the combination of good gameplay and pretty graphics a reality again. Can. They often don't but that doesn't mean it isn't a positive trend.
You may start the point and screech routine now.

not really

I suppose I like the idea of this new game Masquerada, which has a "venetian" fantasy setting as opposed to the usual medieval fantasy.

They aren't. In fact more games are being made with purposefully shit graphics to try for a 'retro' look, despite old pixels being beautiful, and modern pixels being minimalist and purposefully shit.

The only good trend is cheap games (piracy still doing OK) and emulation.

KF2 has the best gore engine

I love it how certain devs didn't abandon the old favorites. Instead they just keep making them better!

Not really. They have stagnated for a good while now yet need increasingly beefier rigs just to run. Combine bloated requirements with piss poor optimization and we're in a pretty dark place with games at the moment.

The only trend seems to be a constant train of them. One game comes along which does something right and then many others come along and copy. We have a few Souls clones, but I'd rather they clone the difficulty and game design opposed to just making medieval combat ARPGs.

Trends now are MOBAs and open world shit with FPS or TPS mechanics

Mobile is dead or dying, the market got saturated and most studios don't make a dime anymore so its all going to shit. Companies like zynga are a joke now

I don't know Unreal Engine 4 look pretty damn good. Granted I'm getting older & the 90s still feel like 10 years ago. Hell colored lighting, physics engines & bump mapping still impresses me.
I'll also give props to engines like Fox Engine & Rockstar's RAGE engine for doing the whole "low poly with an amazing lighting engine" thing.

I do miss when games used to take risks & not hold your hand ten hours into the game though.

doa vidya

- The hundred of Indie games that come out and are interesting keeps me occupied
- The hundreds of emulators and ROMs I can play so I can keep playing vidya forever
- The hundreds of Mods I can download for a game
- The people who help crack games
- The few interesting streamers and youtubers who can be entertaining and informative
- The handful of gaming communities that keep me up to date with games I can buy and can get a response back fairly quickly

besides that it's pretty cancerous or shit

The acting is so bad right now that I wouldn't care if they used their grandma. At least then I could get some entertainment out of the terrible acting like in the olden days. Kinda miss it

i like that almost every company i hate is tanking hard.

Which companies?

i would list them off, but listing 80%-85% of the game industry would take some time

for me EA and Ubisoft are still fine
I'm hoping Square and Capcom will die
and Nintendo will just die or unfuck themselves
They are all still shit and continuing to dive deeper in the shit heap

*and I want them dead

What game company besides those are you talking about?

I don't know how EA managed to save itself. It was nearly dead and then it sprung back on nothing. Maybe they got Sorosbux to do blackenings like BF1.

There was a brief moment in time where it seemed like developers were going to go back to embracing making difficult games that gamers could beat as badges of honour, when the Souls series first caught attention, but that trend seems to have died out the ass and we're back to scripted gameplay sequences of the can't-lose variety.

konami and bioware off the top of my head. if i had to pick which game company i wanted dead the most, it would be between EA and Zenimax

SPORTS TITLES
EA will remain an immortal evil until faggots stop buying these.

I don't know, a lot of independent space and tacticool shit seems to have a bit aimless direction. I suppose the return of dungeon crawlers is alright but they don't really do anything new with the formula exactly.

Decent FOSS 3D game engines are becoming much easier to use and much more functional, allowing me to make my own game.

Which ones are you looking into, user?

I've been using Godot for about a year now.

How's the performance seem? I was looking at it but I wonder if it's worthwhile for 2D or 3D moreso.

I'm glad more games are using aggressive and effective DRM like Denuvo to prevent third-world monkeys, poorfags, and a majority of hackers from infesting multiplayer games.

There isn't a single good game that uses Denuvo, so congratulations on outing yourself as having shit taste on top of being a cuck who enjoys taking it up the ass from megacorps.

I think user was posting in a satirical manner, you know, jokingly? As part of a joke?

Probably so, that's some pretty heavy smug.

I hope so

It's currently better for 2D but its 3D toolset is still quite good.

That sounds alright, considering doing something 2D first anyway.

Kill me, I've got nothing left.

Just use guild style with no arts?

That doesn't get rid of the bullshit hp balloons that are hyper monsters, the halved framerate in exchange for shitty particle effects, and the lack of armor/weapon set possibilities due to HR only in gen. Not to mention that if XX comes westward we'll have to deal with getting jewed with every game getting split into non-Grank/Grank versions just like the poor japs.

The styles were a cool idea that needed more time in the oven. Having half of them be next to useless isn't something I'd call a success.

Denuvo has no bloat at all and makes no noticible performance hit if the devs implement it right. They're supposed to fully profile their game so it only adds itself to functions that aren't performance critical. Indie devs might fuck that up but AAAs are unlikely to make that amateur a mistake.
Doom 4 was good. Be mad all you want but it's true.
You sound like a salty pirate.

In Nipland, G sells .4-.6 million more copies, so assuming everyone that bought X buys XX, theres still a lot of people who just get over it and buy it every 2-3 years, not yearly.
It truly is CoD: Carr tuu Ahms edition.

Now, that being said, the new style looks broken as shit for GS and Hammer. Being able to spam strong slash level 3 without combo is stupid, and spamming level 3 hammers to the head will make the two best weapons back to where they should be.

I've dabbled with it too but stalled when I was making my infrastructure for it, ie music sprites home cloud server

I got the cloud server part down now so I'll probably start trying to learn to use the engine again

having your own in home cloud to sync your tower and laptop is super nice

OpenMW is just about 1.0-ready apart from its construction set still being put together, and its multiplayer fork is making great progress as well.

You dumb-ass, if this is a market research that's not negative, it's a chance for us to actually show what the fuck we WANT in a game, but I'm sure you didn't realize the implication of your bait since all you wanted was a reaction out of people.

Good luck with Square and Capcom, the former has made a good move in terms of their funds allocation, and the latter has already revealed a solid plan for their development cycles. At least that fat pig from Square stopped shoe-horning Lightning everywhere

lol

That was a lie started by salty pirates. Look it up. Denuvo adds no disk activity, it's an entirely in-memory solution.

Dual audio in my JRPGs.

I'm personally a really big fan of the walking sections and cinematic, epic moments in gameplay. It's really immersive and gets me in the mood for some hardcore gaming. I'm glad the gaming industry is adopting such positive healthy trends.

Early access / open alpha, this combined with drastic drops in engine prices have made self-funded video able to be much bigger than in the past.

I get that many here hate it and that's fine, don't buy them.

I hope this is a market researcher, it would show they actually are starting to give a fuck about gamers again, I have been using "gamer" since the 80s, I'm not going to stop due to faggots using it too

Shill straight out of a cuckchan

I like that indie and middle-tier Japanese devs are finally starting to understand how to market outside of Japan: Steam/PC instead of stubbornly sticking to consoles that were DoA here like the PSP and Vita, subtitles with Jap audio instead of wasting money on dubs, ideally no censorship or gratuitous localization, region-free "asian" releases with English subtitles for console games to cut out the kike publishers and localizers, and digital distribution whenever possible to minimize risk and capture the long tail.

It hasn't come out yet but I'm excited for the Nintendo Switch in part because I hope it will provide another boost to those middle-tier Japanese devs that are stuck at PS2-level production values and never fully transitioned to HD AAA muh grafx. It will expand their capabilities without setting expectations too high, and give them some access to the normalfag market for the first time in years. I say that because small/mid-tier Japanese devs tend to pick one console to rally behind, and for the past few generations they've picked ones that had no traction in the west. The Switch might just change that and put everyone on the same page for the first time since the PS2.

You can definitely make the argument that this is all bad and that western normalfags and SJWs are going to ruin everything, but at the end of the day I just want to play video games, and I would love to see sane, sustainable devs make a triumph over AAA blockbuster garbage.

Too bad those assholes at Atlus still refuses to give us JPN audio.

Seriously pissed off at them.

this
and this

Point out the bloat, then.

I would, but the Lords of the Fallen devs who confirmed the 5% performance hit between versions deleted the video because they got too much flak