Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I missed the hype train from E3, as I tuned out from all things nintendo for a few years. But the switch spiked my interest, and watching E3 zelda videos got me hyped for this game.

So /zbotwg/?

wew

Watch this playlist, it shows all of the BotW gameplay from E3.

yeah hype lmao i love being a marketer too OP xD

So many red flags.

Is this Holla Forums's new meme?

Yeah, saw them all. What got me hooked is that I'm a sucker for scy fantasy, that opening scene got me interested and now that I know they are going for a non linear dungeon order, I want to play it.

Well, I don't think anyone else has ever made a Witcher-for-kids, so technically they're right.

There will probably be a new trailer at The Game Awards this year too, so I'm probably going to watch that shit show

It already has better and more varied gameplay than the Witcher 3, so it definitely isn't for "mature" gamers like yourself.

There are only three sectors that I see it failing on, it has too few dungeons, the overworld is too bare or the story is poorly handled.

The story appears to be minimal as fuck but it probably won't tie in well with the games overall theme.

The world looks to be full of content, but I'm somewhat worried what content the world will be full of, I don't want to solve puzzles and get junk. Also we have no idea how many towns there are but I hope there are a few and that they have plenty of NPCs, distractions and services for the player to enjoy, I hope you don't just tame your horse and it gets the saddle and bagging, I want to be able to purchase that shit and upgrades.

There are 100 mini dungeons but we don't know how much regular dungeons, I hope the mini dungeons get progressively harder puzzles.

I never cared for a Zelda timeline. I always considered references to different games a sort of meta talk, like breaking the fourth wall.

I heard mention of 4 main dungeons, which seems too few for me. Also, I'm calling those"mini dungeons" for what they are: puzzle rooms
fine by me, as long as we get a few very difficult ones, instead of making them all mandatory and therefore easier

Also, how embarrassing would it be if this game handled it's crafting and combat systems better than Witcher did.

I want this game to be good but I'm not holding my breasts

wait
i get different swords but they have durability?

I don't care about the timeline either.

We've seen a few that are multiple puzzles, apparently they get bigger too, I've heard a mention of only 4 main dungeons too, I hope it's more than that or that they are good.

It already handles both combat and crafting better than the Witcher 3, well consumables at least, I'm not sure if there is equipment crafting, although you see players pick up ores and springs, hopefully it's like Skyward Sword and you take your spoils to a mechanic who upgrades your shit in different ways.

There's a whole host of different weapons, clubs, axes, spears, bows.

So far we've only seen durability and items shatter after they go through it, I hope there's a way to repair them, maybe an item like the whetting stone in Monster Hunter but instead it restores durability.

i can dual wield like an edgelord?

We haven't seen Dual Wielding, maybe but I doubt it.

Yup
Wonder how they will handle the master sword.

My bet is that it will be destroyed, and you will either have to repair it or forge a new one, and that will be the climax of the main quest. Meaning it will only really be useable on the final dungeon and maybe on a new game+

Niggawhat

Majora's Maks only had four dungeons and few extra mini dungeons and was fine. So unless they're all poorly designed, I'm not worried about it.

Not that I'm saying you're doing exactly this, but I think it's interesting that theres such a loud vocal community who hate it the timeline. And will rationalize any references to past games as something other than what it really is.

If we're being realistic here, the only game outside of the direct sequels… that has timeline elements front and center was the Wind Waker. The rest of it is kept fairly subtle. And from there you can pretty much ignore it. Yet I'll go around the internet and see people getting pissed off over the idea that it simply exists and will cause arguments to sprout up over it.

The thing I like the most about Breath of the Wild is that Nintendo has 99% of the game up their sleeve.

The main thing I suspect they have up their sleeve is a fully dynamic world, I'm basing this off the old man being able to use items and reacting to links actions, and the reveal teaser of the game showed the local NPCs running away from the Ancient robot and reacting when it was first spotted, everything else in that trailer turned out to be gameplay.

Actually here's another fault, you can warp between mini dungeons, and the ancient towers, I would rather they implement a system that allows you to warp to only certain min dungeons and the ancient towers, I fear that letting you warp to more than 100 map locations will diminish world exploration like Beth games.

I don't know, maybe other weapons breaking is a way to mechanicaly enforce use of the Masterword over every other weapon.

I've seen people fiddle with one for more than double that, and being optional those dungeons are going to get harder and harder.

Majora's mask had a massive amount of extra content, most of the game was the extra content, although with the fully dynamic and probably scheduled world maybe something like the Bombers notebook would return, but then there are no major game rewards like the masks to earn from them, although you'd still get character development of all the characters from their minor arcs.

It's funny if you think about it, at current point Breath of the Wild is feature complete and the WiiU build is probably considered good enough to go gold with any coming changes being visual polish and bug fixes, yet we know almost nothing about the game and it releases in 5 months.

this bothers the shit out of me, we've seen a good bit of content but it's all very very carefully chosen and placed, and all videos are of the same few sparse and relaxing areas- we've seen a very very narrow part of the 360KM map, a single plateau, a single river near a single chasm and mountain near a single small town (unseen Eastern Abbey) near a variety of attractions and shit that reek "newbie village"
the most interesting places shown so far are all near the starter area judging by maps and none of them are actually inside dungeons/expeditions except the weird key thing link stands near as he sees hyrule castle? get fucking demolished
what's in store? why is it so secretive? why are there mountains behind the fucking mountains?

also
GIANT stretches of the map are eaten up and separated by water, will there be boats? is this level of separation filler? Why would they build in rivers and then give them full effects and cold shit if they're just "there"? If there's a deadbox, why do other areas that seem like "if I jump down it will kill me" get a full glide? Why do they avoid looking at the water for too long? Are the islands just decorations?
We've seen the raft-blown-with-your-leaf, but will that allow you to fuck about on the seas?
Back before Breath of the Wild was "Breath of the Wild", they were dismissive (or rather refused to confirm this idea), but I don't know if a game with this much shit will just leave something empty like that.

I'm not too worried the only reason why I hold doubt is because of MGSV, but MGSV lead us on with pre scripted in house gameplay which oversold dynamic and tactically relevant sections of the game which I thought were standard but many only existed in pre scripted missions or not at all, by comparison Nintendo let loose thousands of people on a small segment of the map built to serve as the tutorial, and I have no reason to believe Nintendo would oversell us on this slice alone, that's not a thing they do.

I expect empty parts of the world and I want that, but I think Nintendo can succeed where other people fail, in most open world games you just go through the motions, get to end of dungeon, kill enemies to capture map zone, standardized distractions with increasing amount of content in them. Breath of the Wild appears to be an integration of puzzle solving and exploration, and considering that puzzle solving is the most engaging part of Zelda games, even in the overworld, I just find it hard to worry, we've already seen puzzles and multiple ways to solve them in the demo and with only the tutorial puzzle solving tools.

They aren't going to force you to troll raft your way to that island, Aonuma has confirmed that there will be empty spaces, and I'm fine with that, as long as the content that they put out for me is engaging which it looks to be.

We haven't seen much of the map but it's quite hilly and if you look closely it's full of interesting surprises.

What if I want to troll raft or parachute my way to my comfy little island?
I don't buy that we're going to be landlocked, empty space isn't a bad thing but this is un-traversable and everything about the game design so far has been focused on mobility and accessibility, to the degree of "see that mountain" etc etc.
In terms of puzzles I think they're on the right track and they've had damn well plenty of time to figure it out at this point.

Its an Open World Survival game that runs like shit even though its empty as fuck.

Why the uck did this have to be a main line LoZ game again? Is Nintendo just afraid to attach their shot at the Skyrim pie to anything other than a mainstay IP? This really doesn't feel Zelda to me at all apart from the characters, I don't know if I'm being autistic about it or what but I just keep thinking NOT MUH ZELDA

It's a little Skyrim, Witcher, some Dragon's Dogma in there, and a little bit of generic ubisoft open world set dressing.. With Shield Surfing, Gliders, and setting everything on fire.

I mean, it doesn't have to be original, but being able to do any of those things well, especially after every other major Triple Ayyy studio fucks them up every single fucking time.. Well, that might be worth a few dollarydoos.

This is not true. I'm cautiously interested in the game but the NS changes absolutely fucking nothing.

The new magic items actually look better than what I remember from the 3D zelda games I played. More utility outside of designated parts. I can look forward to that.

The open world, everything having a durability and voice acting? I have my doubts. I liked the gibberish that gave a general tone for what the character was saying.

Witcher 3, Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma were all open world. It was also the worst part of Dragon's Dogma and related heavily to the worst part of Witcher 3. The worst part of Witcher 3 being how it fucking drags on forever and because it is open world, feels like they fucked over doing more interesting and unique monster/enemy designs in favor of massive tracks of land.

Nigger do you want to tell me how I felt, now?
I meant that I was uninterested in all things nintendo. But because the concept behind the Switch appealed to me, I also got interested in BotW.

My main worry with Durability is that it will turn out to be Sticker Star/Color Splash all over again.