SKELETON CLASS WAR NOW

I thought it would be fun for us to have a game to play on Halloween so I made this barebones online game over a few weekends.

You can download bundles for Windows or OS X via these links:
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone-win64.zip
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone-macosx.zip

For Linux or those too scared to run random exes you can download the source here:
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone.love
and then run with the runtime from here: love2d.org/

Move with WASD or arrow keys. Attack with left mouse and toggle auto-fire with E. Use skill with right mouse. Spend bones on stats with number keys.

You can turn off the shader, screen shake, music and so on in the settings. You can get to settings with escape in game or at class select screen.

Other urls found in this thread:

freemusicarchive.org/music/Edward_Shallow/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump since if you did make this it deserves to get a bit of attention

getting some diep.io vibes but with skeletons

Thanks user, I'm a novice at programming but was pretty fun setting up a server and doing all that from scratch.

Yeah I wanted something a bit like an .io game to keep scope simple.

I'm probably a complete idiot, but when I run the executable I get an error saying that boneclick.wav doesn't exist. Any advice?

whoa

Ah shit the script I use to bundle executables fouled up. I'll try and get them fixed now.

nice game

Files should be fixed now, sorry. Apparently love-release somehow can't handle a folder being called "sound".

Looking good fam

Fucking Jumpscare intro WTF

And then Avast closed it and took it hostage.
GG

I like it.

dont use avast you fucking retard

I feel as though the dickass thief may be slightly too strong

Yeah, I thought about having it drain bones to maintain sneaking after a short period. Or maybe lowering sneak run speed a bit more.

Fixed the avast thing, fucking retarded antivirus.

Funny how the whole game changed when people noticed they could save bones and use them as full heals.
Nice game, user, fun as fuck.

Thief's hiding ability is broken, it can safely maintain it's top level just waiting for the waker ones to get close. And can also tag along the top level players and strike just when they're low on HP

It's definitely broken as fug to have infinite stealth, I don't need to put points in anything other than damage and crit to nuke people and get away safely

The ganking is fucking real.
The leader-skelly does not mess around.

RIP

Got to get some sleep but I'll definitely try to make sneak a bit more balanced so you can't lurk indefinitely.

You're not wrong user.

I feel like I should spread my levels back, mite be worth just not using stealth

It's also impossible to hunt him down

A simple way to attempt and balance this stealth is to have it have a skill tied short duration and a long fixed cooldown, maybe be usable in combat to contrast with the debuffs (should still be cancellable by attacks).

how does the multiplayer work? do you have a new opponent every time you pick a class?

I think part of the problem is that once you spiral out of control it's impossible for people to stop you unless you get coordinated effort, even as sorc now I can just shoot across the map and nuke people. There needs to be some way for the top player to decay in power, maybe make exp from kills smaller and make players lose more when they die.

you get thrown into the server against everyone, it just happens that I'm the only one in here (as far as I can tell)

I agree, but
It's almost impossible to hunt down a thief due to it's hiding ability.
The sorcerer has the risk of being squishy, so if someone gets to you you're fucked (of course, at least someone half your level).

The thief is fucked against a sorcerer that is out of control like
I was on the map building up stealth speed and attack for several minutes.
Then I got unlucky when he started to spam attacks in my direction and I got fucked.

Even if I was ready to attack it would have been pure luck if I got a strike on him because I can't even see the attacks coming from off-screen.

I agree, sorc seems to counter thief pretty hard once the sorc has some levels

Here's the list of changes I was planning on after work:
- Bones taken from killing other players to be based on level difference ranging across:
Killing 5 or more levels higher than you: 75%
Killing same level as you: 50% (current)
Killing 5 levels lower than you: 25%
Killing 10 or more levels below you: 0%
- Sneak to last 6 secs with 60 sec cooldown.
- Increase Sneak Speed's value per point to make up for short duration.
- All level ups would grant a small max health gain.
- Reduce Sorcerer Triple Bolt max chance.
- Increase Necromancer's skeleton minion health.

The idea is that by having gains from kills scaling with level difference that you avoid one player becoming excessively strong and helps give players at a disadvantage a chance to get closer in levels. I'll bump the thread later today hopefully there's still a bit of interest left then.

D:

I like those changes, though thief might get rekt a little too hard now. I've found that one of the biggest problems is the massive range on sorc attacks relative to the other classes. The reduction to tripple shot chance should help, but they have such an easy time kiting using the minimap that it might still be a problem. This is especially true if you're playing necro, whose skellies are bounded by your screen size.

I realize this post has a lot of criticism, but that's only because I think you've made a fun game that can be even better. Keep up the good work dev user.

All feedback is welcome user. I'm not very experienced with balancing mechanics. Some other balancing thoughts: reduce Sorcerer attack rate so their range isn't hugely abused and they have to snipe shots better. Necromancers still seem too weak compared to the others though so I might rethink their skill. Maybe skeletons are automatically raised and Necromancer skill instead gives them a way to make use of them better. Maybe explode all skeletons under control to deal damage to enemies near them.

Some simple AI/bots to keep a minimum level of activity could be a big help too I think but not too sure how much time I want to invest in that instead of potentially doing an Xmas game.

skeletons? more like slain by the tons
so weak, no meat, no nose, cant smell brains
get a shield, joke. you cant carry shield no muscles
funny joke but no truth you cant drink

do not diss the boners

my is sorry

when I launch the game it just shows a screen with a skull and some music, how do I get it to work?

Sorry, server script was getting worked on around then. Should be back up now.

Is anyone playing? I saw another skelefag for a bit but then he dissapeared. Maybe I spooked him. I only hit him a few times though.

bumpin, server's empty so let's fill it up

and for some reason I can't level anything

needs single player and the ability to host a private server

check em and make it happen

tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still having the same issue as

uninstalling what your hard drive you downoad a full fledged file open it with winrar and hit the .exe. so unless your telling me to reinstall my os i don't see how this is useful.

OP, help, it's just Mr Bones and no game

Script crashed while I was asleep it seems. I added some additional checks on some events to stop bad packets/client events from doing it again. I'll try and find time before the weekend to implement reworked Necromancer, bone gains and bots.

I open it and all I get is a skeleton. Pretty spooky game OP.

It crashed again

Okay it's up for real this time.

Hey nerd you can level up so you dont get shit on so easily.

that is really nice
might just be the best thing someone did for halloween

shit, didn't mean to reply

that is really nice
might just be the best thing someone did for halloween

Thanks user. I was thinking about doing a hot-join multiplayer SHMUP for xmas where you'd have a queue and people would cycle in as players die (as long as someone was still alive) with people in queue spectating and a chat.

Pretty good video game OP, good music and decent art.

Now all you need to do is to denounce all SJW beliefs and this game is playable by Holla Forums

necromancers feel very underpowered
i was steamrolling everyone as a deathknight

I agree and I'm planning on overhauling Necromancers and doing some better balance changes: >>11131200

Music is by this guy: freemusicarchive.org/music/Edward_Shallow/ shame he doesn't see to do much like it, it's mostly chiptune stuff.

pls

Skeletons don't have penises.

If skellingtons don't have penises, how come they're so good with boning?

Because they're ribbed for her pleasure.

Well game over folks the king is chosen

yeah that's why I said I will never do it
try paying attention

/r/ing the rapeskeleton choice chart

Adding update to server with these changes. So server will be going up/down as I fix issues for a while.

General:
- Bones taken from killed players is now based on relative levels. +/-5% per level difference, up to 75% and down to 0%. This should let lower level players get to the point where they're a threat if someone is much higher than them.
- Increased bonus health gained per level.
- Increased base health regeneration.
- Increased health regeneration gain per point.
- Increased attack rate gain per point.
- Reduced time before leaving combat.

Deathknight:
- Increased Death Sigil's slow duration.

Thief:
- Sneak has been changed: Sneak for up to 6 secs, gaining increased speed and becoming invisible. Attacking or taking damage breaks Sneak. Cooldown: 60 secs.

Necromancer:
- Necromancers now automatically summon a skeleton minion every 4 secs.
- Necromancers can now have up to 10 skeleton minions.
- Raise Dead replaced with Deadonate: Activate Deadonate to explode all minions, causing them to deal 25% of their current health to enemies nearby.
- Increased base attack range.

I'll update the client later with updated skill info and some sort of cooldown meter/feedback so you know when your skill is available again.

pls

Please what user?

Please stop raping the server motherfucker

She's my whore to do with as I please. Should be good to go now, unless there's any edge case crashes I missed.

I don't think it's really compelling enough to do a single player. Once I'm done adding features/don't want to continue, sure I'll host the server code somewhere. It requires lua/luajit, luasocket, enet and some other dependencies though. And would need to add the ability to enter a custom IP in the client without editing files, but that's not a huge deal.

Thief is an otherwise shitty class with very low damage. While it was broken before you could do a shit ton of damage and break a thief with no problems as anything else. Especially as a sorcerer. With that teleport and 3 fireball spell they can not only demolish them but chase them down too.

You have fucked thief very thoroughly.

Right now balancing sneak is complicated by the fact that the server only has low numbers. If there was 15+ people, letting a thief run around sneaking would be fine because they'd have to constantly dodge everyone and their shots. It's not very fun if there's just three people though.

Sorcerer's triple bolt chance, attack rate and range have also been nerfed since.

This looks really good.

Put it somewhere where I can buy it because it looks terriffic and download it with out being all lostboy.exe'd out..

what is this post

gtfo

Basically if this was a game in a store, he'd trust it and buy it since it looks like fun. Since he remembers lostboy.exe remains skeptical about OP's integrity.

bruh

Get those glasses on user.

It's nice of you to say user, but it's really not worth anything. If you're weary about it, just unzip the .love and check the source yourself.