#8/agdg/ on rizon.net

Other urls found in this thread:

flipcode.com/archives/Calculating_Vertex_Normals_for_Height_Maps.shtml
filedropper.com/cooking046
gitgud.io/nogames/trinity
furballz.net/engine/
github.com/algts/Horde3D/tree/GLModern
horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2286
google.com/search?q=animator's survival kit walk cycle&biw=1600&bih=770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-oIC1sYTQAhUrj1QKHQa5BJsQ_AUICCgB
youtube.com/watch?v=haa7n3UGyDc&list=PL-bOh8btec4CXd2ya1NmSKpi92U_l6ZJd&user=AlanBeckerTutorials
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone-win64.zip
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone-macosx.zip
bone-thr.one/downloads/bonethrone.love
love2d.org/
clyp.it/z4m30xym
love2d.org
pastebin.com/6eeDh9KJ
opengameart.org/
incompetech.com/
purple-planet.com/
ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12841178
en.maoudamashii.com/list/bgm2.html
allegro.pl/100-oryginalna-kamerka-kamera-ps3-move-eye-sony-i6572663652.html
drive.google.com/open?id=0By7CJxdPShRsbmlCckRLTUhnNFk
crocotile3d.com/
pastebin.com/mvJn7dP8
pastebin.com/DnZp31CV
yoyogames.com/blog/397
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

re-posting from last thread

okay, i started doing this kind of thing, i just havent cropped the texture yet so it can blend correctly

i got the sight test function from the tutorial, i understand the code conceptually but i wouldnt know how to make modifications or write my own versions of it. i looked at my code and it seems to be doing the same thing…
I am raising the light point over the surface exactly the way you're showing there (or else the sight testing wouldnt work) but i still get weird stuff that i dont fully understand. however, i think once i finish this part with the borders it will look much nicer.

Now my basic systems are in place, time to port CDDA's features into it

Looking for any normalfags!
I'm trying 3D programming in OpenGL, and am tearing my hair out at generating terrain from a heightmap. I need to calculate the right normals for each vertex, but so far am left staring at incomprehensible babble that most tutorials saddle me with. Any normalfags that could offer an advice?

da real g'

flipcode.com/archives/Calculating_Vertex_Normals_for_Height_Maps.shtml
You could take this and adapt it into a function that returns the normal for a given (x, y) on the heightmap and call it once for each vertex.
Or you could calculate the normals for the 4 triangles adjacent to a given vertex by taking the cross product of their sides, take the average of those 4 normals and use that as the vertex's normal, but that's slow.

Thanks. The last approach sounds close to what most of those tutorials were trying to tell me, so hopefully I'll be able ot figure out how that works now (slow or not, I mostly hope to understand just what the fuck is going on, and look for optimalising it later).

Normals aren't really necessary to get shit on the screen, but whatever.

But here's an easy way to do it:
Given a vertex v, with the 4 orthogonally adjacent vertices v0,v1,v2 and v3.
Calculate the cross products p01, p12, p23 and p30 using vectors from v to vN. Normalize these vectors.
The vectors you have produced here are the normals for the triangles {v,v0,v1}, {v,v1,v2}, {v,v2,v3} and {v,v3,v0}.
By adding them all together and normalizing the result, you end up with a normal for the vertex v.

This is a lazy and inefficient way of doing it but it should work for almost all cases.
Assumptions made here is that the angle between the vectors from v to vN never approach 0 or 180 degrees, so unless you're doing crazy magic with your heightmap you're good to go.

Still pondering my dialog system, particularly how to attach scripts. I mean its easy to give an object an Action property but loading them from text is another matter. I dont wabt to bundle a 3rd party runtime compiler with my game and I dont want to invent a language to parse everything. I might settle for something similar to SC1s trigger system since that will be more than enough for what I want to do

Thanks - I'm finally understanding all those online examples. part of the problem was that I forgot how vectors in math work, since 2D stuff rarely needs anything more advanced than mod and div

There are worse things in life than buying a $15 duck
I could have bought a $2000 anime tiddy

I'm on vacation, that's mean aggydagging, what should I make?

- Tactical RPG with muh moral choices
- Platformer with swords
- Surreal Adventure

And why?
Taking in account that they'll be done with mspaint graphics

Fix'd.

Surreal Adventure MMORPG

Surreal it up.

Surreal tactical sword RPG
The swords can be the characters.

ZZzZZzz
Dropped
There's a good chance you'll run into a lack of purpose, but it has a higher chance of being interesting.

I chose one at random and got 3. So I better see some progress on that Surreal Adventure in a few days.

how about a radical tactical RPG with guns and shieeet, such thing is a rare breed.

Tell me to get back to work, agdg.

Get back to work, user.

Everyone post the last thing you did, no matter how small, to make a903df realize he's being a lazy fuck and needs to get back to work.

The last thing I did was slap together some code so I choose randomly between a set of options, but give those options different weighting so some were more likely to be chosen than others. I'm going to use that code in enemy AI so enemies may be more likely to choose some actions than others.

I spend 3 days on my remaining vacation with stalker. :^)

clouds
guess my draw calls

not until you finally select those faces and press the "smooth face" button you lazy nigger.

30-50

Meant to post that vid in the post I originally meant to post here but got distracted by anons fucking draw call pop quiz bullshit

but my employer likes minecraft-style

Oven Unlocked
filedropper.com/cooking046

just DO IT

I was about to have a mental breakdown earlier today because I felt like life had lost all purpose, but then I started working on my shit and now I'm ok.

I added sprites to my engine, but didn't add proper animations yet. It's better than looking at boxes though.

I lowered my skeleton minion CPU usage on the server an order of magnitude, added autofire visual and skill info for selected class to the UI, added Blink skill for Sorcerers, Death Sigil skill for Deathknights and doing animation for Teleport now.

No, your style is (((low-polygon))) It is nowhere near 50% of minecraft style, not to mention everything would consist of rectangular or cubes which those lovely retards like to call it as "voxel based" which mineshit is not either as it has HUD models with "voxels" that is 45° rotated which is impossible for pixels as they cannot be rotated at all.

And your employer has SHIT taste.

But where are the jews?

I basically had a "rediscover yourself" moment.

>Put game and dreams on shelf for life's bullshit

My last week has been so weird.

Rewrote head tracking so that it doesn't glitch out.

And now let me showcase you some REAL low-poly models, study them well and let your eyes beheld those computer graphics art.

I fucking hate those bullshit (((low-polygon))) models, every time I want to search for such pictures the image search engine greets me with such a viscous puke made by hipster who have no idea what the fuck they are doing because they are nothing but dumb cunts.

This is the cushiest wage-slaving job I've had in years. If my employer wants minecraft-style, I'll give it to him and be happy doing it

Well, if you don't mind terrible MSPaint concept sketches I did last night for a BBEG alien mafia boss then okay.

I don't like how her mask came out at all. It's like a KKK Grey Fox. The horns fit the design well I suppose but there's something more I can do with them.
Colorscheme could use some work, too.

That's kinda where I've been for the last few hours. Just took a shower though and am going to try to do at least a little bit before the day ends.

Thank you, anons. You make me feel a little bit less alone in the world.

Did your employer gave you example what he imagines what (((minecraft-style))) should look like? Tell him at the very least he has questionable taste.

Real low poly is hard to do well and if it's even slightly wrong the game looks fucking terrible and jarring. I can handle Thief because the textures are really good+colorful environments, I can handle Deus Ex because a lot of the environments are colorful and the models are pretty good, but I can't stand the fucking sight of half-life 1. 90% of the game is grey and random models look completely jarring to me like the crowbar, plus a lot of the environments feel completely over-sized. The n64 did it best, but that's probably my bias because of nostalgia.

That being said I'd take (((hipster low poly))) over real low poly any day of the week. The only reason anyone would say otherwise is because of nostalgia or low-poly grew on them.

I made a Swim-Backwards animation and made a metal gauntlets 3D model. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't show either.

That's how life is. You wake up, you unbox the boxes, you move the boxes, you crush the boxes. If you don't move the boxes, you stop living.

And which part is harder, the Models or the Textures? And if Texturing is harder, would things like PTex help with that so that it is a tad easier?

So I am going to assume you don't like Quake 1/2 much either as they are not colorful and most of the time dark/brownish.

And how do you like the Textures of Total Annihilation? Since those Models don't have UV-maps in the first place.

While I highly appreciate it that we almost share the same mentality, I would like to add that furniggers are Anti-Humans, as they discard everything what the white man did like a typical libshit/commie scum would do.

So in other words you will lose your job/income if you don't move dem boxes?

come on Holla Forums

I think user's problem with HL1 is the lighting. It somehow manages to be more dull than Quake 2.

I regret not working on my project more when I was unemployed, barely have the energy to touch it at the moment

They kinda go hand in hand, because from what I've seen with low poly you figure out what parts you cut off the model and then fake them being there with the texture. So it's 3 skills, planning, texturing, and modeling. I assume texturing would be harder. I'm not sure I haven't heard of Ptex, but i doubt it could help you plan out how to lay out a model

The lightings pretty bad it makes things look more faded, but also the layout. Nothing really sits together, you just get shit like the whole screen is grey except for random boxes and enemies scattered around. Like pic-related

I googled "Total Annihilation 1" and 2. It doesn't really look too bad. I think what made Thiefs textures stand out is they usually grouped everything together.

Guys im retarded.
do you just spawn a bunch of sprites and move them around? is that how game programming works?

That's how it can work. I'm a fan of procedural programming, so every frame I save the gamedata, delete everything, and then recreate the world.

You got to draw those, then use the hard code word thingies to make them move around. Like this.

Pretty much.

Yes, but the latter involves lots of math.

That along with boring ass calcs behind the screen for game mechanics.

Not quite, but ostensibly pretty much.

Essentially, each entity in your game (character, enemy, projectiles, environment, walls, etc) is kept in your program's memory as a pile of data (how big it is, where it is, how it's currently moving, how it interacts with other entities, how it is controlled, what its sprite/model is). This data is how your game program determines what the game is doing at any given time. Your game also loops over that data every single frame to decide how to draw that frame (typically, in a simple scenario, simply looping over every entity every single frame and drawing it at its current location with the model/sprite it says to use).

Think of it like a board game, like monopoly. You are your player. You have a place on the board, you have money, you have properties. These are your data. Your token is your sprite. It's not actually technically necessary (just as graphics aren't necessary for the internal game logic to execute), but it's helpful, so you don't have to constantly memorize where you are at all given times (imagine playing a video game entirely with your eyes closed). The token doesn't actually determine where you are; the game does. You move the token as a visual representation to where you are every turn, just as a sprite is placed. It's not a "My token is here, so this is where I am" in practice, but rather "I am here, so this is where my token is".

Anyone else have this problem?

overdraw + iphone = ???

I just realized my duck is fucking huge

speak for yourself nigga, I love the challenge of programming, even though I'm pretty shit at it.

they all use a set of standard textures, usually tiled.

or is your world really small?

updated
gitgud.io/nogames/trinity

That would still need UV-mapping.

unity no

You're finally ducked too far

I refuse to believe that this one is my fault

Feels old man.

HL1 right? I just grabbed a random screenshot online.

Yeah. The HD pack that came with opposing force. Interesting enough, it also underscored the importance of sound design. Retards everywhere swore up and down their guns were more powerful after installing it despite still having the same damage values.

Added options and UI for them. Bit rough but wanted to make sure I at least got them done in time.

The original models aren't great but the HD pack's are just awful at times. Blame Gearbox.

I played HL1 with the original models. I remember specifically because I really liked the glock animation, then played it one day and it was this laser pointer pistol that would fling halfway up the screen each shot. The problem with HL1 is the color scheme, shading and how nothing blends together. Models can't really fix that.

Not laser pointer pistol. I thought they straight up copied the pistol from Opposing Force and put it in HL1, but I googled it to double check because I remembered you couldn't use the laser and realized it was a whole new model. The animation still sucked.

/agdg/ has spoken. Surreal it is. I'll start tomorrow

Noted for future use.

START NOW

Bit by bit I'm making progress. Here's an extremely rough inventory.

Alright, I made a concept for the protag.

>Still worried my planned main antagonist is literally a straight ripoff of Vicktoria from Thief

It's better than ripping off a bad game.

I have no idea how many of these are worthwhile but some of them might be fun to fuck around with, especially furballz.net/engine/

I like how "Doesn't look like minecraft" is a feature.

Atomic Game Engine actually looks pretty neat. Maybe not as advanced as Godot, but it looks similar in design and features.

I just get worried it'll be so obvious and is so blatant

Both are secret magical creatures in an otherwise normal world
Both are OP as fuck and could destroy the main character in a second if they wanted to
Both are nature themed /monster/ waifus
Both hide their power levels although in different ways
Both use the main character to do something they can't

Looks cool as fuck tbh

There's no such thing as originality anymore user, embrace it and try and put your own spin on it.

Thanks man.

anyone got any advise on learning music composition? i downloaded FL studio 12 demo and played with it and watched some videos on music theory, but im looking to make music similar to SMT 3/2, as well as looking for plugin that could help. vid related for what im trying to mimic.

i already got the games designs down but im too busy to get started

Atomic Game Engine is essentially Urho3D ( >>>/agdg/26062 is using it for his FPS, in case you're unfamiliar with it) with a fancy IDE and Javascript, probably lacking some of the engine's newer features like PBR.
Some of the more promising engines I saw on there that you might not be familiar with are Orx (a data-driven 2D game engine written in C), G3D, PixelLight, KlayGE, Aether3D, LumixEngine, and darkHammer. I have no idea how good any of these are compared to more popular freetard and proprietary engines, but it's always nice to have alternatives.

There's also someone who recently ported the mostly dead Horde3D's render interface to GL4 a couple weeks ago. I don't know a lot about the engine but it's supposedly really good at rendering large amounts of moving objects and may or may not be lurking beneath the spaghetti code powering No Man's Sky.
github.com/algts/Horde3D/tree/GLModern
horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2286

Hey agdg, I've been nodev for a bit, been kind of burned out. Going to start up a new project and learn Unity3D. Any recommended resources?

I'm going to make a first-person speed-runner, with some other elements mixed in as well. Are there any asset store packages you recommend for the FPS stuff? I want to get the controls really tight, but I don't want to have to program everything from scratch if I can avoid it. I don't mind spending a couple bucks to get something going. If you can't think of any good packages, any links tutorials on movement are appreciated.

Also, I know unity can run like shit sometimes, what can I do to get it to run as fast as possible? I'm planning on having some kind of minimalistic/retro'ish graphics (I want kind of a 90s FPS look, with billboard characters). What kinds of things should I watch out for in Unity and any particular practices that will lead to faster frames? (i'd really like it if I could get this thing running at 144fps+)

thanks guys, any help is appreciated

Kind of confused of what is supposed to be going on, but I know UE4 can make things beautiful and you are making it happen.

Testing possible walk cycle

fuck

Little eased, better framerate and resolution.
Still feels wrong.

Shit forgot the gif

You should have the head bob up and down. Walk a few steps to see how it goes for you. Also make him female and add some bounce.

I'll try that.

I made it male because I can't /loomis/ at all, but
I feel honored.

mhm maybe not that, but it removes the need to UV map anything at all and you can change the texture resolution of any single face.

hmm the map you showed does look quite bland and the floor/walls does look almost the same.
hmm ye it doesn't look neither as fancy like Tiberian Sun.

Anyway, you do have brought up some interesting point of view and answers, thanks.

OTA uses a custom model format called 3do, those models are textured by just selecting some face and a texture that's it no need for creating seams and the like. Look up 3DO Builder.

I don't know exactly what is confusing so I'm just going to explain everything. I walk over to a white box, inspect box, and click "add to inventory". The box is added to the inventory which then opens.
In the inventory there is a black rectangle which contains a placeholder "quick access slot", and a 3d translucent cube which represents all the space available in the inventory. The white cube I picked up is shown sitting on top of this inventory space, but when I click within that area I am allowed to position the cube. When I release the mouse button the cube is brought down into the inventory.
Hopefully this will become more apparent later on when I'm not using such terrible placeholder 'art' it's literally all cubes. There's also a lot I still need to do as far as usability and actual functionality goes. In the mean time think of it like the RE4 inventory but not on a grid and in 3d.

Look at some walking references.
google.com/search?q=animator's survival kit walk cycle&biw=1600&bih=770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-oIC1sYTQAhUrj1QKHQa5BJsQ_AUICCgB
And watch this video series.
youtube.com/watch?v=haa7n3UGyDc&list=PL-bOh8btec4CXd2ya1NmSKpi92U_l6ZJd&user=AlanBeckerTutorials
Remember, no tracing.

a character sketch for a game idea i've had for a while but cant decide between beat-em-up or rpg ala mario and luigi style
or a hybrid fusion of the two
a beat-em-up with rpg elements

how do i make shitty chiptune music

Well whatever. When I have a game, all you'll have is excuses.

all checked

If I get dubs again I will make a Escape from San Francisco game starring Donald Trump against a city full of hipsters.

YOU HAVE TO DO EEET
FOR THE EMPEROR

Well, fuck.

Make our god emperor proud

Give me 5 days.

Alright, I'm gonna give myself 5 days to make this. It's the perfect chance to get started with coding again, since I haven't did anything in months.

wew, this shit is getting really annoying

so this is the power of Unity

You best deliver.

It's due to the shader in question being a compute shader that's about 3k lines long w/include files, and using an attribute which apparently causes the compiler to freak out (for how it compiles my code).
Normal frag/vert shaders don't even get near that.

might as well make a mod for duke nukem 3d

That's a lotta megabytes for a little bit of shader compilation.

What are you trying to use a compute shader for?

Compute shaders can open doors to new opportunities in a few use cases, like doing physics simulations for thousands of objects at once, but a lot of times it'll be a lot less of a pain to just run whatever you're doing on the CPU.

dual contouring, noise generation, CSG/procedural modeling, and that type of thing.

tbh it's functioning fine, if I don't do what I stated in this post … I just felt like complaining heh

Ain't that the truth, but in this case it's a must.
As it's nearly similar to simulating 1000s of physics objects, in an analogical type of way, and in essence what I'm doing, at the scale I'm doing it at, requires compute shaders to run at the speed I want it to run at.

Would be grateful if anyone can give these builds a whirl and tell me if they run into any problems:

Windows:

OS X:

Linux:
and install love2d.org/

Controls:
- Movement: WASD/Arrow keys
- Attack: left click, Autofire: E
- Skill: right click
- Spend bones on stat: Number keys

Fuck, my bad on server crashes. Should be back up now.

Playing on Windows 7.

I killed a skeleton and it got stuck on the screen, then right after I try and kill a sorcerer, but just as I'm about to kill it, the controls stop working and the sorcerer and I are both auto-walking towards the right.

Second attempt it happens again, except the enemies and player character are being forced into the right bottom corner.

Regarding the options, choosing 1920x1080 is a bit annoying, since it won't actually cover the entire screen, and I can't force it into fullscreen with Alt+Enter, so I can always see the taskbar.

After trying it a third time I get an error screen, like this one. It won't go away after restarting the game, only after unzipping it again.

Fourth time I got the auto-running again, this time forcing the character towards the top, but only the player character.

Eating lunch atm, will come on in a bit.

Yeah, sorry. The controls stopping being responsive and state_game error was the server script crashing. Turns out making changes at 3AM isn't the best idea. Hopefully should (really) be fixed now. Thanks for having the patience to keep trying.

Full-screen support shouldn't be a big deal, I can get that in today.

You just shot me dead, but on my screen I'm stuck on half a bar of health and can't move nor respawn.

Fixed, should be back up now.

Skelly minion spawned outside of the world border when I created one with a bone at the south border. Might want to allow things to walk into the map, but not out.
Also, sound would really improve the fun of the game I think. Gamefeel is important.

Fixed the skeleton spawning, thanks. I also need to get short period of invulernability on spawn. Hoping to squeeze sound/music in today. Balance feedback is welcome too. Skeleton minions feel like they could do with being made more potent and Deathknight's Death Sigil is probably a bit too strong or needs a longer cooldown.

whose your daddy

Overall a nice little game though. I like the use of the simple colours and the gameplay is pretty fun as well.
As you said the deathknights are quite overpowered. I think a longer cooldown would do with the sigil. Having it maxed out, it was capable of almost one-shotting other players.
Don't know what level they were but the deathknight I had was around 26 in the end.

I actually didn't really notice minions doing any damage, really.
Death sigil could do with being a bigger area with less damage.
Sorcerer seemed to die too quick for me to really get anything going, even with HP upgrades, and I don't know how to cause special shots. Are they a % chance based on level?

Ah, I wondered if you had maxed it out. I'll tweak those numbers.

I'm thinking increasing minion base speed and damage since they already seem fragile enough. Right now they hardly ever reach your target.

Sorcerer special attacks are a chance based on how many points you have in them, from 0% (no points) up to 50% each and can interact with each other. So if you have maxed out triple/ice shot, you'd have a 50% chance of firing three bolts and 50% for them to be ice bolts.

I understand now, it's a 3D grid, I think that is kinda confusing tho. What about the boxes in the character? What kind of esoteric meaning they have?

Thanks, fam.
Roger that

Another try with the walking cycle.

What are some good programs to make not necessarily pixel art sprites?

Some drawing program maybe? Like Krita, GIMP or Photoshop. I think Krita recently added frame support, that might make life easier.

The boxes on the player are slots that the player can access without opening their inventory (they represent pants and jacket pockets). So if the player has a pistol they can put magazines there and reload with a key-press rather than having to open their inventory, or if they want quick access to healing they can put a medkit or whatever in one of the pockets.

Certainly better but try and make it so that the volume of the head doesn't change as he walks.

I have used the animation functionality in Krita and it's pretty good. Certainly better than gimp. I can't speak for Photoshop.

The body is weird since it looks like it doesn't rotate at all, maybe add a small detail to the front. Body should be shorter as well since hands reach a bit past the crotch & half of human height are the legs. There's also this one frame where the front arm is too short.

Seconding Krita to animate. You can't export animation as gif and I've had problems to export all the frames with animations with more than a hundred frames, but it's probably better to have the individual frames for a game anyway. And you get to use all the cool brushes.
Pencil2D is nice as a "MSPaint+animation" kind of deal.
I've never heard of animating with GIMP and the mere thought makes me shudder.

clyp.it/z4m30xym

If you're not lazy and interested in fidelity you can use a chiptracker, too, like Famitracker.

I understand, it works similar to a survival horror prototype I made. Webm related, the quick use item slot is supposed to work exactly as you described.

Pretty much.

Under the impression I should stop coming to these threads until I have an actual framework rather than practice animations and models, but here

Really struggling with Krita, the animation part is not so intuitive and it has some weird functions like obligatory pasting in other layer and second mouse button opening a pencil hud instead of drawing with the second color. Maybe that's heaven to illustrators, but it just confuses me a lot, I'm gonna try pirating Flash and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

You're supposed to use a hotkey to swap the first and second color, most art programs do that. I think it's X by default. There's also a hotkey to toggle eraser mode on/off in case you're using white to "erase".

It's not the most straightforward program for animation because it has the whole full-featured-art-program thing attached to it.

make them wider you faggot.

Congratulations, you died it.

(Possible volume warning I guess?)

I'm trying to import an fbx into blender. It works perfectly in unity. Also, only the first animation appears and everything is blank.

fast paced cuhrayzee-tier tactical RPG

Nigga you bought some shady voodoo gypsy duck, I suggest you delete it from your computer before it's too late

this can't be my fault

I got it so that when moving an item to the edge of the inventory it stops exactly on the edge whereas before it would either stop too early or go slightly past. It took me longer than it probably should have but I'm really satisfied with the result.
Also, I should probably transfer the function that handles the inventory object movement over to C++ from blueprints because it's mostly math (which is both prettier and faster in C++) and it's essentially unreadable in blueprints.

Good. Fucking. Luck.

now you need to stand on it.

Why don't you make a full body? I mean, holy fuck, look at these POWERFUL GUNS!!!

The support website for the guy I bought the duck off of is 100% flash and 90% italian

It's probably more a problem with blender than it is a problem with the model. See if you can convert it from .fbx to something else and see if that fixes it. Blender doesn't have the best .fbx support.

Yeah, do yourself a favor and convert everything you can into C++.
I worked previously on a trading card game and had to finish prototypes/builds on a pretty tight deadline, so i kinda hacked stuff together in blueprints. At some point it got to big to refactor and i pretty much was stuck with bp.
It was hell as soon as i got to the more complex stuff, when i had to manage the state and sync that over network etc. Even little fixes sometimes took an hour because of how unreadable it was and connecting the fucking nodes can be fiddly as hell. Also some weird bugs when you update structs in C++ but they don't update the nodes, which forced me to restart the engine.

For my next UE4 project i stick with C++ and only UI + Input will be handled in blueprints. And these will only call the specific C++-functions.

dem arms

Is there a story behind blender's awful fbx support? guess I'll try another program. I just need to modify one of the existing animations.

FBX is a closed standard format, so they cannot do much about it. It is pretty normal for Blender to have constant trouble with it, try to use other formats if those cunts offer it.

thank fbx

I really don't understand what you're trying to do. Why does a duck need to take pills?

To get through the day

same

Damn, does he have some sort thyroid disease? That's deep.

download MilkyTracker or OpenMPT fam

Well, Holla Forums has a thread up about rigged voting machines because they use FLOAT instead of INT. Have a laugh.

>>>Holla Forums8032831

Holla Forums doesn't understand computers
more at 10

I'm banned from Holla Forums at the moment if its any consolation

But that's just some Alex Jones tard. not the representative of Holla Forums

And besides, there's no reason for vote machines to store votes in a float instead of an integer unless they wanted to do some level of truncation. Which could easily be used in favor of a specific outcome

I suppose it does indicate the code was written by street shitters.

if someone has complete and monitored access to what is apparently two variables that decide an entire presidential election, the variable being integer or floating doesn't matter in the slightest

I don't think that (((anyone))) would do that, user

Cool your jets m8. Nobody here is a Hillary Supporter.

He shouldn't need to. They can't melt steel beams

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I got a jogging animation and a placeholder model back from our artist.

I'll transfer over to C++ ASAP.

A little late with it being past midnight, but hoping that it's polished up enough that I can make a thread and shit. I've updated the client with music/sound effects, fixes for some rare client-side crashes and support for fullscreen mode. Here are the latest download links:

Windows:

OS X:

Linux:
With runtime from love2d.org

Full changes:
pastebin.com/6eeDh9KJ

Again, appreciate if a few guys could give it a whirl and check nothing is stupidly broken.

got rid of some of the artifacts, it looks quite a bit nicer now

The only thing I think anyone would complain about is the canned scream. It sounds absolutely terrible compared to the rest of the sound design.

Fuck it, making a thread. Fingers crossed.

Stop coming to these threads if you're just gonna post disgusting furshit.

your crazy mouse adventure sure has come a long way man, congrats on getting that in there. I'm glad you've taken it so far, I remember when you were still in the early stages. It's a noticeable difference in the image quality since your original builds.

thanks, yeah, it really has

it makes me feel better to think that people have been following this for a while now

ive almost finished all the levels, so my game plan is right now to:

light the levels
finish all the levels for real (this is just one map)
link them all together
put in all the between-level graphics for stuff

and then i just have to make a few trailers and release it to the world

i'll probably release 0.8 soon, after i light the levels, so its going to be one of the last pre-releases that i'll do.

Are you just releasing just the game? Or are you going to open source it as well? Also, how are you building the levels? Did you make a custom editor for it? How long till you think you will be done with it?

Ok, then I'll bump a shitty thread to let a shitposter know his post was shit. Just like I'm doing to yours.

I'll show myself out.

What's a good source for free to use/free to use with attribution music?

Look for things licensed as public domain or creative commons.

It's because Donald Trump is about to be elected. 1 week to go before everyone's dreams come true. Yes, Donald Trump will make anime real.

Yeah, but where can I find such things?

opengameart.org/
incompetech.com/
purple-planet.com/

/pol of today is not the /pol we all know and love. The shilling, the jews, REDDIT, r/thedonald, the jews again, have destroyed pol. When was the last time you saw a good ancient aryan/atlantis or pedowood thread?

Isn't Pedowood more of a Holla Forums or Holla Forums thing though?

/pol does Pedowood threads too.

This is great. Did you make the model? Did you do the texturing? Are you using Unity or Unreal or your own game engine? Love the titty physics but you should add some butt physics too.

Thanks.

I see them all the time

i'll release all the source code, if anyone wants to read it (its not very good, but it works)

the levels are being built with a custom editor, this is a video of the map editor in action

i hope i will be done with it by the end of the year, so i can say that i have completed the project.

you should read this: ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html

it explains more about the engine. I want to make a video where i explain everything in-detail, about how the engine works, once i have the time.

How big is the code base? Does C get unwieldy with a large code base in your experience? Are you developing on Linux?

Not sigma dev, but I'd say C++ makes your code more unwieldy than C just because of cross cutting concerns.

The OOP mentality makes you do retarded things like, having a "Engine" class when you know you will have only one engine and a case where multiple engines are a thing you'd have to rewrite it anyways. Then if you need access to this class anywhere else you have to pass a reference of it or use singletons which are terrible, or globals which defeat the purpose which makes your code pretty annoying to deal with, when the whole time you could have had a collection of functions and static variables that accomplish the same thing but also let you selectively choose what to encapsulate and what to make available to everyone.

I've only recently started switching from OOP to C and DOD, so some people might disagree.

DOD? Date Oriented Design?

It does.
I should probably look into voice acting sometime soon.

I'm developing on windows - i fed my code for the game engine into a line counter and i got 7108 lines of code (all the C files and H files, everything)

for the map editor i got 6841 lines of code

really i do not have any issues with it that i think are specific to C, C seems to be working fine for the project. I personally dont like writing OOP code because it always feels like more work to me (more hoops, to do the same thing). All of the code is compartmentalized to a good enough degree for me to make various changes without a lot of trouble (over the past 6 days I added lightmaps to the engine, without having to refactor anything) and i'm sure you could turn it into some kind of OOP, C++ project without a whole lot of trouble in some places. The code itself has all sorts of little things about it that could be better, everything could be structured a little nicer, but that's not because of C, its because this project is the largest one I have ever worked on.

Yes. A lot of DOD is mostly about going back to C from what I understand.

For example, they avoid polymorphism as much as possible. Switching between virtual functions can cause something like 3 cache misses alone just because if the function isn't in cache then it has to open the look up table (cache miss), find the function (cache miss), and theres a 3rd one in there somewhere but I forget what it was specifically. So if you have a random clump of objects like A, A, B, C, A, B, A, C, then this will be a problem.

I've seen how many lines you have to shit out for a simple rogulike. no thanks.

Mike Acton basically this is criticism that gets thrown out but is not defendable. I think he's implying anyone who says this is going off assumptions, because of the shit they where taught.

When dice converted their culling system to DOD they literally had 1/5th of the code they started with.

basically said*
I think in reality you're just saying you where taught one way and don't want to sit down and relearn it.

If they use float instead of int for vote counting, then that is indeed a big fuckup.
Floating point stops having integer-accuracy at 2^24 (~16M). Given that the US population is much larger than that, it can actually cause issues.
Everything in that thread is retarded though.

That story is even on hacker news now. news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12841178

Not just a /pol delusion.

there's always a few people here who'd rather talk about the smaller details in making game than actually make game

Electronic voting is indeed dumb as fuck and something that should be opposed, but Holla Forums is just trying to find causes where there aren't any.
It doesn't matter that it uses float instead of int, because you can rig it in a billion other ways. It's in no way an indicator of rigging, only of incompetence.

They're just re-adding the three-fifths vote guys, come on.

I do it personally to double check my understanding of the process. Also I usually only do it when my life's work schedule is so insane that I worry if I try to code my game I'll get burnt out, which has happened multiple times already.

heres another
en.maoudamashii.com/list/bgm2.html

On one hand I'm making progress, but on the other I'm not really getting anywhere.

Well, it's better than what i'm doing.
I start a project, get either frustrated with the engine (or the lack of), bored of my idea or something else. I switch either project or engine or both, basically never making actual progress.

Honestly, my best experiences where when i worked in a team, because even if i didn't like the project, i cant let my team down. That was always enough motivation to get me working.

You're letting us down when you don't make progress user. You don't want to do that, do you?

and a ching chong nip nop to you, young weeb.

So i learned this is apparently a genre. I am excited to make a turn/step based puzzle/platformer/roguelike with cube terrain and billboarded sprite characters

i've done literally nothing other than play yugioh and do homework for the last week
the last time i gamedeved was like a week ago, i got my JPS pathfinding working, although there were some issues with null nodes that i haven't bothered to fix yet

fjdhkgfdkjghdfkjfuck

It's better than the old one, I suppose?

they both look like shit
make the new one wider

I'm with
you are still thinking about robogirl as a normal person
Why the fuck would someone develop and deploy a cyber soldier with the strength and capabilities of an average human?

Like this? I don't see how that makes it better.

it just doesn't look like a toothpick this way

and looking like a lit christmas tree.

Maybe all the funds went to her ass.

How's this?

How do I make an "extruded" render of a sprite, like how Minecraft does for any dropped object?

I'm and what I want to do is have textured cubes for my dungeon terrain, billboards for characters, and dropped items to have that sort of "depth" to them so they don't look flat (or maybe do that with characters too).

I thought about making a mesh on the fly for an object, but not only is that difficult for me to do because I'm ass with 3D, but I don't think that's how they do it. The only other way I can think of is a single cube/rectangle shape, but then you don't get the "depth", only the ends. Alternatively, drawing a billboard a hundred times to get the depth manually but this seems disasterous. Any ideas?

You'll have to generate a mesh, but it's not that difficult. Triangulation is the only hard part.

I like it.

Blade and crossguard don't fit together too well, sword looks unbalanced partly because of that. Go thicker. Crossguard design needs more depth since it looks bad being thinner than blade & hilt, could alse stand to be more fancy.

You could probably get away with drawing a black copy of the billboard behind the normal sprite that has a bit of parallax depending on where it relative to the camera.

So if I have a 32x32 sprite, would the front face basically be a 33x33 mesh, with the missing/edge pixels connecting the front/back via a quad?

That seems like I might have a lot of vertices. Obviously there is some optimizations to be made about subdividing filled pixels into rectangular regions, but it seems daunting.

That might work, but it might end up feeling cheap.

Okay, I got the mocap to work somewhat. ~7 hours spent on calibrating, learning, rendering. Half an hour of actual recording
But I learned a lot during that time.

some user asked me what I was using. The thoing is called iPi mocap. I am using 6 PS3Eyes with it.

What do you need mocap for?

Stop torturing poor Motoko.

Good good. Now make porn.

I'm shit at animation, I don't want to buy animation packs, I own a large space I can use for capture and perfecting this method seems less time-consuming and a bit more fun than classic animation (at least I get to have a drink with my brother), even if you include clean-up. It's cheap as dirt too (until I decide to buy a licence for the software).
allegro.pl/100-oryginalna-kamerka-kamera-ps3-move-eye-sony-i6572663652.html

She's the best rigged model I have. Don't worry, she's hacked and won't remember a thing.
Besides, I can do much worse but don't want to.
Like here, when my bro reached for an ASG gun and everything got fucked up really quickly no clean-up applied either

Well, it is an option, but I'd rather concentrate on my main project.
and I don't think my bro or wife would approve

So, I'm working with Godot, and I'm trying to wrap my head around how scenes and nodes work. If I want to create a new parent object, I have to create a new scene, correct?

For example, say I have a label node, but no other nodes currently in the scene. If I were to add a sprite to the scene, it will add it as a child to the label node. So if I want the sprite as a separate entity all together, then I have to create a new scene. Is this correct?

If you explain it well enough, and show them the G's that porn can make from patreon bucks, they probably won't mind. anymore.

Anybody want to dick around with this and give me their thoughts?
drive.google.com/open?id=0By7CJxdPShRsbmlCckRLTUhnNFk
Click the ring for more rings since I don't have a minigame ready yet. Press M to change the music.

This was made with game maker studio, it looks great. I wonder who is it's made by a japanese guy or not, because the art is great.

Although, wouldn't the graphics pipeline automatically prune hidden faces and take advantage of instancing if I only had one set of geometry?

Holy fuck m8 my ears this shit is load as fuck.

Barring the loud music, it's pretty good m8 good job.

The chao was flickering when I gave him one fruit when he was already eating another one. But it was minimal \('-')/

Other than that m8, good work.

Yes. You can then load that Label Scene into another scene as an instanced object.

It's pretty cute, I wonder, what do I have to do though? I just gave him fruits.

Shit, sorry. I'll turn it down next time. And what do you mean by flickering?

There really isn't much of anything to do yet aside from keeping the Chao happy.

Like the sprites body would disappear for a split-second between the animations. It only happened once and I haven't been able to reproduce it but I thought I'd let you know.

What did you code this in if you don't mind me asking?

this grill is cute
post more

What will be the full game about though? Growing him up, evolving and playing minigames, things like that? Does it have an endgame? When did you start working on this?

GML.

I started around the beginning of September. I've been slowly chipping away at things, since I already work full-time, and I also juggle mediocre art and plastic brick autism.

My current goal is simply emulation of the existing Tiny Chao Garden in multiple GBA games, usable with the the PC releases of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2. Once I've got that groundwork down, I plan to expand- a larger Garden, more Chao (up to 4, probably), minigames that take a Chao's skills into account (although as far as what they'll be, I'm not sure yet). I'm also not sure what sort of endgame there'd be, if any. I can't add much to the Chao themselves, for compatibility reasons.

crocotile3d.com/
interesting. also free.

Reminds me of hammer from source a bit

Dont know why it saged

sticks between posts. it's a lot simpler and more single purpose than hammer, looks fast though.

I don't get it

Why would someone play an embarrassingly forced porn game instead of just watching porn?

so i've got a project for data structures in uni, i have a text file where every line is two crossroad names and the distance between them. it can also be one crossroad name, which means that the street is a dead end
one of the tasks for this is to find the shortest route between two crossroads. considering that i only know the distance between them and not their coordinates, is an iterative method my only option?

$10 if you want to save your shit

Reminds me of the old default gamecube memory cards that didn't hold shit. I must have played through the first half of pokemon colosseum half a dozen times before I finally got a bigger one.

at least sony is keeping the tradition of jewing everyone for storage

To be honest I don't get it either, I never understood porn games. I appreciate sexy characters and stuff like that, but not if it's the main thing in the game. If it's the main thing I might as well just watch porn or hentai. But then again, why don't you ask the millions of people who actually play and buy porn games?

That color scheme is seriously comfy as fuck, though. It's like a higher resolution version of thief.

I might rip it off

Here's a 6 month old video of my editor. At the time It didn't have combat system/HUD/etc.. Built from scratch C++ OpenGL because I'm an enginefag.

Also sports a fancy particle editor.

the actual combat still feels lacking
did you get around to it?

You should probably either turn off the hair dither, or use Temporal AA with it, otherwise it looks weird.

This is actually pretty damn nice. There is some addon in Blender that works similar if i remember correctly, but it wasn't even half as easy and comfy as this.

I made gravity stronger, added hp and stamina bars, added 2 skills to select from a tree. Added stab, sword down while falling, knock up into air, charge with shield. I don't feel comfortable showing them yet since they aren't ready.

That's pretty neat but can't you already do the same thing in the quake map editor, and faster?
You just make a cube and change the textures on it. I think the only difference is that you'd have to make multiple cubes if you want more than one texture on a face

Why wouldn't you just model a scene and then add textures into it?

Yes, it's a shortest-path problem. Implement dijkstras algorithm.

isn't dijkstra grid-based? or do i just have a wrong idea of how it works

No.

You can do it on any graph, you just need every edge to have an associated distance/cost.

that's fucking cool, user
plan on releasing it?

why does this not work?
//check if item is contained in items array bool Contains(T *item) { for (int i = 0; i < Count(); i++) { T *_t = GetItem(i); if (_t == item) { cout Name()

Are you sure it's not just a copy of the item? Have you tried printing to pointers?

*the pointers, I mean.

yup, it's a duplicate
no idea why, the only time i should be constructing a new one is in int main(), everywhere else i SHOULD be using pointers

you're comparing the memory address

you need to compare the actual values inside the struct T

sometimes people will put an id field inside their structs because of this

can you explain count() and GetItem(i) ? where in your code is the array you are comparing anything too?

for example, to compare the actual value stored in item, if item was an int or something, you would do if(*_t == *item)

since they are structs, you must do:

if(_t->some_feild == item->some_feild)

right now they're both memory adresses so of course it doesnt work

the size of the array is increased everytime i add a new item, getitem(i) returns items[i]
but can't i just compare the address?as far as i understand it i shouldn't have to compare strings

i mean, size is an int, that gets increased everytime i add a new item, Count() just returns that int

Are you going to do a linear search every time when you want to check if an item is in the array? Include a field inside the item object that stores the pointer/reference to the array in which it currently resides and then just compare that instead of searching the array, nigga.

but it has to be contained in multiple lists/arrays
won't be very convenient
performance is not an issue here, i just need to get it to work

Oh, I thought it was like an item instance that can only be in a single inventory at once.

it's
i'm using lists for tons of shit here, so there's a lot of stuff that's contained in multiple lists

As I understand, you have a weighted graph, where nodes are crossroads and edges are connections between them, the weights of the edges are the distances between corresponding crossroads.
In problems like this graphs are usually represented by an NxN matrix, where N is the total number of crossroads, and each cell [i, j] contains the distance between the i-th and j-th crossroads (the weight of the edge [i, j]), or -1 or NaN or something if these two crossroads aren't connected.
What are you using lists for?

neighbors are added manually in a list, each node has a list of neighbors
also using a list for pathfinding, the frontier and the CostSoFar/CameFrom ones
i don't even think i've gotten the pathfinding to find the SHORTEST path yet, but yeah
since i've only got a couple of nodes, with no actual coordinates but just distances, i'm not using a matrix

Though actually you need at least one list/array for Dijkstra's algorithm. I'm retarded.

This is wrong isn't it? How do I do this right?

Draw the ones that are in view?

Put together as a sprite batch based on one texture atlas so you can just draw once.

How would you do that or where can i read more about this?

i have created a game in pure javascript called "phi" based off of the flash game n.
feed back would be appreciated. you can find the game on zeronet or on this mega link
https:// mega .nz/ #F!h9JRCZBC!peiaTnj1IJE7F1JPBUYF8g

also it is still in development so expect better stuff

Google "efficient tilemap drawing" or "batch tile drawing". What're you using?

Angel2D

its hard to guarantee that this will work, so most people dont do it- the compiler can be doing things behind the scenes, and you're probably making mistakes that you havent seen yet, making it fail

you cant increase the size of the array without reallocating it, which is a big performance hit. I would use a linked list instead so you dont have to move so much memory like that.

also, there isnt any array in the function that you could be comparing it too. is this code inside a C++ class, so that the array you are comparing it too is in the class as well?

why dont you post the rest of your code?

this is how i would write the function. maybe its helpful:

bool contains(void *item, void *arr, size_t len){return item >= arr && item < arr + len;}

this should work because if item is in a memory adress between arr and arr + len, item must be in the array. you dont need a for loop and a get_item function or any of that stuff to check this.

only draw the ones that are on the screen

also, look into quadtrees

yeah, now in the list class, pointer comparison works fine
but later when i'm doing pathfinding, it doesn't, so i use the names
no idea why this shit happens
anyways, here's the code, it does work
header: pastebin.com/mvJn7dP8
cpp: pastebin.com/DnZp31CV

She is resigned to her fate

Wife laughed at the idea

yeah, it's not complete yet. i am still building maps

Well, hard to give feedback on that first map.

The functionality of the double jump thing is not very clear, it doesn't seem to push you off the wall, but you can only do it when standing next to a wall. It also almost seemed like there was 3 jumps or something, and I could do all of them in a row by holding the button, not needing to press again.

okay, im looking through it, and i noticed some problems:

when you call add_neighbors in the cpp file, you have an array of neighbors- but since you want to preserve the memory addresses of the neighbors, you should have an array of pointers to neighbors; like so:

List neighbors; -> List; ? or something like that, i dont know how C++ libraries work. But it is clear that you have an array of objects, not an array of pointers to objects.

you'll notice here in your code for additem, you allocate a new array and then copy the object into the array, and NOT the address of your object-

//last item is the new item
temp[size] = *_item;

therefore, the address stored at _item is lost, and the object is now located in its new position in the temp array. so your program doesn't work anymore.
this is because temp + size != _item.

if some of this went over your head, you now know why lots of people will take the easy way out and add an ID field into their structs. I can explain more if you didnt get some of it.

Eventually you may reach the point that drawing all tiles (both off-screen and on-screen) at once will result in framerate drops.

What you'll want to do then is group each set of AxA tiles into a block (say, 3x3 or 4x4). Then only check collision detection between the player and a set of tiles or render the tiles within a block if the block is the block the player is in or adjacent to the block the player is in. (So essentially, only the part of the map around the player is loaded at any given time)

There's other ways of doing it, but this method is pretty simple and is how, for example, GBA/DS Pokemon games worked with tiles on the hardware.

a better explanation:

the array contains direct references to the objects in memory, not references to the references to the objects in memory. therefore, when you copy objects around in your array, you are changing their memory addresses, because you arent moving around a reference to the object in your array, you are moving the object itself; so the address is lost. if you are using an array of addresses, this is not an issue, because instead of copying the objects themselves, you are just giving the array a copy of the adress to the object. in C this is would be expressed as a pointer to a pointer, where the pointer would be a pointer to an array of other pointers which then point to the objects; so; a pointer to an array of memory adresses which lead to the objects

GAMEMAKER 2 IS HAPPENING:
yoyogames.com/blog/397

Unity it is, then.

oh no

the only upside i see is that you can convert blueprints drag and drop to code
i'm not sure, but i don't think unreal lets you convert them

it definitely looks better when root motion is applied

Bro needs to wear darker clothes to get the shoulders to register

Why
WHY

Unreal converts them when you build the game now creating faster code, and I think someone's working on an actual converter to produce editable code. It also allows you to link functionality back (and forth?) between c++ and blueprints, somehow I doubt GM will have custom creatable notblueprints.

my point was that you couldn't directly convert one to the other, even if you could use both together

Hence the
part of my post. And actually, seems you might be able to access the current generated code as well. From the 4.12 release page:

Just fannying about with some terrain generation for a Final Fantasy Tactics-like.

Good start, user. FFT had sloped ground too, so I'd say that's your next step

I kind of like the blocky look, though. I'm going for a PS1-era look, or just very early 3D.

pls remove the Z Buffer for full texture warping and polygon jittering

But slopes take less triangles than boxes.

use nearest neighbor texture filtering, and less polygons, and no z-buffer. also fog.

also, for the models, use as few textures as possible and flat shade everything you can.

Time to make Tetrahedroncraft.

I remember when "Gamemaker" was a long-time running joke

Oh, shit, it still is. Here's their previous logo.

Will need to find a way to make hands less wobbly

Just use Blender

Use a quadtree (2D spatial data structure) to only draw what is on the screen (or is "close" to being on the screen).
You can also implement LoD with quadtrees, and various other nice features.

First or second?

they both look weird
can't you just scale the uvs or something

No, because it's a mockup in Photoshop.
I don't know if I want to design things to be "double high"

I like the taller ceiling better.

Also, I'm not a 3D guy is at all, so I'm trying to to structure my map data (it uses tiles). If I go with the tall structure, then I have 10 byte indexes to go with (2 for each of NESW, for upper/lower textures, plus floor and ceiling).

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out decals and applying them to geometry. What is pic related called? I want to draw a texture on top of another texture's quad, but I don't care about the UV coordinates of the first. But I want to crop my second texture so it fits on the first

Just IK them to the gun.

crop it to the intersection between rectangle 1 and rectangle 2

if its openGL, then you can adjust the texture coords as you see fit- and overdraw.

what are you using to draw the graphics?

This is in XNA, and I'll have two instances of the same quad. While XNA has an Intersect (and Union) function for Rectangle, geometry is expressed via Vector3, so I'd have to do my own math to figure that out, I guess?

I assume that it's some kind of linear interpolation and remapping the second texture/decal's UVs to whatever part gets cut off

Just draw it over the original geometry, while clipping any fragments that do not have approximately equal Z.

conductor we have a problem

Second.

What? They'd be overlapping perfectly. There'd be some kind of Z fighting unless I drew it to the same texture

I dont understand

This is terrible news for me. I just purchased game maker studio, why are they such dicks to not tell people that they are gonna make GMS 2 earlier? Now this means that I purchased it for NOTHING since they will stop releasing updates and fixes for it, and they will only work on GMS 2. Those assholes.

And from what I see nothing in GMS 2 is helping me make my game faster or better. No one sane, including me, used drag and drop in the first place. And I don't see why anyone would. Why not just type what the hell do you want, why waste all that time dragging and dropping? GML was good enough. And sprite editing… I don't care, I have a separate program to make sprites, the default sprite editor doesn't matter. I never got people who complained about it.

What a disappointment, I don't see anything new in GMS 2 that helps me make games faster or better. It will just end the support for the first game maker, which I just bought.

Ask for a refund or a non-standard discount when upgrading to the new version.
Worst case scenario you could file a credit card chargeback through your bank, but I don't think this is a good idea, since you did in fact receive the product you paid for, they just went Jew mode the next day

Bought it like a month ago, but I still consider it recent. It's not worth the hassle anyway, it's just a shame. I don't see any updates to GML either, just drag and drop shit.

I've bought like 3 different upgrade versions of Acoustica Mixcraft over the years (8 years or so) because I'm too lazy to learn FL Studio even though I have it sitting on my hard drives somewhere. Easily $200 wasted for no good reason. Shitsucks.

Looking at their page it doesn't sound too bad? Their promo for it looks exciting, it claims to have been rewritten from the ground up (so expect faster GML, hopefully), and you get 50% if you bought GMS Professional version. $99 isn't too bad either - you should be able to save that up over like 3 months, even if you're a super NEET.

Apparently you only get 50% off for a limited time. Either way, I don't see any changes to GML, like new useful functions for example. It would had been so handy to have new functions for complicated things, but whatever. Looks like I'm just gonna use the regular GMS.

use your own math

also, turn off the Z-buffer and you can overdraw in peace

Also, I keep wondering what kind of 2D games people aren't tired off. Dunno if it's worth the jump to 3D considering the little time that I have.

This is really helpful and I didn't realize that's what caused the depth sorting and fighting.

A beautiful unicorn.

:-D

remember, you dont need the Z-buffer, since you can always sort the stuff yourself

just be sure to draw your map back to front, and use back-face-culling, and stuff, because if you try and throw a group of cubes at it its not going to sort them fore you anymore; but if its just cubes then that shouldn't be too hard

Well what I'm doing is per map tile, there are 10 quads per cell (upper and lower for NESW plus floor/ceiling). I want to have two textures drawn per quad so I could eg, mix and match stone and trim, or have texture 1 be blank and have texture 2 be transparent-enabled prison bars or what not.

Each decal would be drawn on a quad with arbitrary placement, not necessarily bound to the map tile grid, it's just kind of "there"

just make sure that you're drawing all the quads in order, thats all.

:–D

Thanks, m8. That's definitely what I'll do later today, although I'm sure in the future the wonky hand tracking might cause me problems. I am happy with the leg detection though.
the project will become a bit more expensive if I decide to buy PS move controllers

I still have some work to do on the lighting in the capture room. Maybe changing the location of mocap cameras again will help as well.

Does anyone have any resources to help with sprite drawing, or art in general?

I can't draw very well and I'd like to learn how to draw decent sprites so I don't have to use placeholders for whatever I work on, because I find it causes me to lose the desire to work really fast. I don't know anything about art theory and I can't draw very well flat out, but I just want to create some decent looking sprites, any ideas?

First steps in mechanim for now

Okay, I know basics of IK. Will keep going deeper