Great magic in games

Saw Dr. Strange yesterday. Reminded me that I don't know about any videogames that feature bizarre, creative or just world altering magic. The most creative magic system I can think of right now is Magicka, and that's mostly just about recolouring your lasers and your grenades.

What games exist that do magic real well. Maybe as bizarre as pic. related.

Other urls found in this thread:

hopooo.tumblr.com/tagged/Necromancer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars#Timeline
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If this is a spellcrafting thread, then I'd say that Path of Exile does that better than Magicka.

I suppose it is. How does it work in PoE?

Dragon's Dogma does magic really well, but you can't make your own.

The way you cast spells in Arx Fatalis is really neato. You draw the runes with your mouse and it really gives you this sense of power. But you can't make your own magic.

Magicka could've been perfect but they fucked it all up by raping it as much as possible with DLC jewery, making it a broken mess and not balancing spells.

I like magicka's magic though

We've been over this hundreds of times, no games do magic that well

Is Battlemage Lichdom any good?

It's balancing spells that really fucked up magicka. Because now the only spells worth using are explosive seeds and lasers.

I haven't heard much good about it, though it could just be disappointment.
mines are real nice, easily do the most damage, but there's nothing quite as all-around useful as mashing sdf for fireball/magma quake spam.

As for OP, if you have the autism required Dominions 4 has a mind-blowing spell selection.
You can even make wishes.

Arx Fatalis and Magicka are the main ones brought up, generally. There's also codespells but it's just a shitty sandbox.

TES games, usually, either stock or enhanced with mods.

Guild Wars is probably the best, IMO. You won't find fancy world-altering rituals but you will find a deep and well done system of combat spells with an enormous amount of build variety.

You can in a sense that some of the possible spells aren't documented in your book and (assuming you didn't cheat and look them up online) are basically spells you made yourself.

It's garbage.

Thaumcraft is a mod for minecraft. Its kinda nice but feels barebones.

It's too grindy. Even with the grind disabled via config it's too grindy.

If Minecraft mods are viable Ars Magica 2 is great for magic.
Not too grindy, some useful spells, and you can make your own since everything is done in parts.

I don't think there has been a single game with a legit good magic system, just games with cool spells.

If you enjoy miscasting your rune time and time again sure why not.

Black & White's system was pretty unique and started the cancer that was gesture recognition. A billion utilities in Linux added gestures afterwards and it took a decade for people to realize it was a horrible idea.

You take a skill gem and link it to a number of support gems which either modify or enhance the effect.

Sadly in Path of Exile it mainly tends to boil down to a question of "how do I squeeze more damage out of it and hit as many monsters as possible" though. But it is possible to add stun, knockback, freeze, fear, and blind effects to abilities and make single target melee attacks into aoe and ranged attacks into all-piercing multiple projectile swarms etc. And then there are unique items that can add their own special effects or modify your damage types.

In Verbis Virtus is gimmicky as fuck but pretty fun

Did you say great magic? cuz it is literally a mechanic in the classic Valkyrie Profile.

I'm playing through it for the first time now and it's pretty neat, it gives you a sense of what fighting as a mage is like. If you can write your words quickly and correctly then you can melt enemies like an unstoppable force of nature but if enemies get on you then you might find yourself getting distracted or rushed and messing up your spells. I also like that you have to remember your runes, when you see an enemy you have to decide what spell to cast then remember and draw the correct runesi n the correct combination. It's not hard to remember Aam, Yok, Taar for the basic fireball but the extra step still adds a nice touch.

While true you can't craft spells you do have to discover them yourself. As long as you don't look up the combos online then you can have fun experimenting with runes to figure out what can be combined to make different spells. Fireball for example being a combination of Create, Fire and Missle while changing the Missle out for Space instead makes a field of fire instead.

It's trash and you shouldn't waste money on it. They talked about how it was a game where the usual limits of mages like mana and cooldowns are removed for the "ultimate mage experience" but they managed to make magic incredibly underwhelming. You can only use 3 schools of magic at once and it mostly just determines what colour your stuff is. They also decided to make spells rely on farming hundreds of fucking items to make the most tedious upgrade system i've ever seen. Pirate it if you want but it's a waste of time and money if your looking for a good mage experience.

you just need to believe, user

Daily reminder that magic is real.
Watch Xendrius' "Demon Magician" videos.

Magic is occultism/alchemy and selling your soul to the devil. Demons perform "miracles" or magic and aid you in this life.

Magic is evil and pagan.

You can always go back to /christian/ and praise the one true god Jeshua on your own.

I remember when I was an edgy 15 year old rebellious teenager.

Also reported for being underage.

Where can I find out more?

May Perkūnas smite you, sir.

Ridiculous.

why

get rekt heathen!

Reported for intl.

Your only king was bullied into being Christian by a bunch of autistic Germans.

Check out Xendrius channel on youtube.

"The Battle of Grunwald, First Battle of Tannenberg or Battle of Žalgiris, was fought on 15 July 1410 during the Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War. The alliance of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, led respectively by King Władysław II Jagiełło (Jogaila) and Grand Duke Vytautas (Witold; Vitaŭt), decisively defeated the German–Prussian Teutonic Knights, led by Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen. Most of the Teutonic Knights' leadership were killed or taken prisoner."

Shrekt

That sounds redundant

That's all I watched. Do people really believe this shit?

There's your problem.

There's a sucker born every minute.

My problem is seeing through one really dumb trick?

Your problem is not seeing bread being materialized out of nowhere.

Your problem is not seeing a hand going straight through glass or an aquarium.

Your problem is not seeing a necklace going straight someone's neck.

Your problem is not seeing normal water turn into Coca-Cola by itself.

Your problem is not seeing someone float above a Dubai skyscraper without any attachments.

Your problem is not seeing a bread being toasted by itself.

Your problem is not seeing objects levitating and doing weird shit on the fly.

Your problem is not seeing that all these "magicians" have a history of delving into the occult or mentioning that they have a "spirit friend" helping them.

True magic (not tricks or props) is indistinguishable from poltergeist/haunted house footage where objects seem to move by their own.

The human has no power at all, magic is performed by demons.

Battlemage is really dissapointing. You have like 3 or 4 actually different effects and the rest are just stat altering effects.

Go hang yourself.

I like how I got to this point in the thread before I found out that the OP was referring to something completely different from what I thought.

I didn't really mind that but the problem was you get showered with items at every step.. it breaks the flow to open your inventory after each kill or so..

I can't think of a game that's seemed like it got magic just right

If demons are powerful enough influence the physical world through magic, why doesn't god do the same shit if he is supposedly all powerful and all knowing?

Lost Magic

It's a DS game that plays like an isometric RPG, except that you use the screen to cast all your spells. At first it's really simple, just the five basic elements. Then you unlock the duo-rune ability, which means you can combine two spells together so you have all the possible permutations of spells available.

It's fun because you personally cast all the spells (you have to be quick and accurate and remember shit) but also because there's a lot of experimentation going on, meaning you have to discover the various spells there are (there are a lot).

The game itself is a little repetitive but fun. Also there's actually a branching story with an evil path.

It's six, what are you doing

damn you casuals didnt metion the game with the best magic ever that actually does what OP asked for?
this place is hopeless, ill just lurk now and never spoonfeed you scrubs again

sorry I forgot, it's been awhile. Also there's a *lost branch of magic that adds more to the combinations, not sure if that's counted in the six or not*

they were christians by that point, plus had poles on their side

Nigger.

I remember reading an article about that game in Nintendo Power.

two worlds 2 had a decent variety of spell making

you are thinking of the trio rune but that doesn't even work with all rune combos.

if you have a ds flash cart I would highly recommend it its pretty good

No, the trio-rune is an ability you unlock near the end, I believe, but it only works with three of the same kind of rune so it isn't that great. The "lost magic" which is where the game gets its title from is the branch of light magic that was lost when your father died and you rediscover it about halfway through, thus opening up an additional category of magic.

Not entirely true, there are some trio runes spells with mixed runes from different elements/tiers, but it is true that the set of allowed combinations is very small.

lost magic is the level three runes of each element, e.g. the lost magic of water, fire ect
also the trio rune works for more than just runes of the same type like some dragons gods
here copy pasted from gamefaq
391. Blaze God- Dark 1, Earth 1, Fire 3
392. Ice God- Light 1, Wind1, Water 3
393. Sky God- Fire 1, Light 1, Wind 3
394. Stone God- Water 1, Dark 1, Earth 3
395. Flash God- Earth 1, Fire 1, Light 3
396. Dark God- Wind 1, Water 1, Dark 3

Shit looking at that I used way too much spoilers
looks like a fucking SCP article up in here

Back to tumblr

Well I'll admit my memory isn't the greatest, so you've both got me there. But still, it is certainly a fun game and I would recommend anyone with a DS to try it.

It's just the later ones that are cancer, you utter mongoloid.

I never actually gave it more than a passing glance but one thing that did stick in my memory was the overuse of the RETRACTED all over the place
But I do apologize for the great sin of having people show me things

we can dream, hopefully this is going to be returned to
hopooo.tumblr.com/tagged/Necromancer

its really cool and one of the most wizardy things out there but its just a minecraft mod in the end.
what are you going to end up doing with all your neat magic?

RoR dev?

They did go overboard with the [REDACTED] shit
It quickly makes itself obvious as being lazy writing

Yes, and Deadbolts

Just because most SCP stories are shit doesn't mean there aren't any good ones like 093

There's some good necromancy mods for Morrowind that have shit like preparing complicated rituals and managing your skeleton army.

Blasphemous Revenants. Great mod.

Yes. If you want to be a Battlemage.
By this I mean that the game features a lot of neat offensive spells with some decent combinations to use, from fields to walls, mines, shields, projectiles, grenades, rays, etc with several different elements that have different effects.
It has a retarded crafting system in place and it's weird but not in a good way, just their bad attempt at making it deep for some reason.

However at the end of it, you're still just a BattleMage, not a Wizard. You'll sling offensive spells all the time, solve your problems with fireballs and the most you'll steer from that is with Blinks.
If you understand the difference between Wizads, Battlemages and Sorcerers, you'll be very dissatistified with it.

Thaumcraft is pretty good, the best mod for Minecraft even if just for the amount of polish Azanor puts in it's models and GUIs. It progresses very nicely, always fills usefull and very fun to use.

Get the 5th version of it, it removed the retarded grind for the research and redone it as well as simplying the handling of research or how you command Golems or even how nodes or aura works

Ars Magicka 2 is also pretty great. Actual crafting of spells, neat energy aspect to it and usefull machines. You'll get a lot of different effects to use it and it's quite possible to make a neat PvP server using it solely.

However, for both mods when you start the game, type: "/gamerule keepInventory true" so you keep your shit when you die.
We can all act hardcore with minecraft but most of the shit you'll keep in your inventory from those mods takes hours and rare resources to craft. Losing all inventory items ain't even that interesting anyway.

Two Worlds 2 was terrible for a lot of things but the magic system was quite neat. You could combine cards for neat effects and it played like a Third Person MtG. Put a few cards for a spammable spell or put a truckload of them to make a nuke that bounces off walls.

RoR dev went with another game that also features undeads insted of finishing his Necromancy game, sadly.
Those are also old screenshots, the newer ones had a top down view instead of platforming and you played in a different way. You move your mouse colecting bones around, that swirl in a bone vortex and you release them to create undeads.

Look at it from a D&D or Warhammer-esque perspective. Basically the world has always been torn between Chaos and Order. The more Chaos there is, reality is easier to bend since demons can come and go/manifest their powers freely, but with more Order, everything goes according to a natural Law i.e. physics. According to this view, a God of Order is basically a supervisor who after making sure that humans can't just bend reality all the time with the help of demons, then leaves humans to cope with said Natural Laws. With this in mind, then the notion that a God can be vengeful or benevolent would be foolish, because those kinds of gods sound like emo faggots with superpowers.
I do think that the whole demons/gods thing is actually just humanity's ages-old form of meme magick.

Sage for /x/shit

That's actually a fun idea that could be easily be put into a videogame.

Gods being the embodiment of a Natural Law or Concept, they try to uphold it and keep the working, gaining strength from it. The God of Nature for instance tries to keep forests growing and animals living in it, while the God of Knowledge tries to teach things to humans and making sure more and more knowledge is gathered in the world.

However, since they are based on concepts and laws, the more chaotic the world is, the less power they have, therefore they can't enact change all the time. Instead, they rely on prophets and heroes to have their bidding done and in return, their correspondent aspect becomes stronger, helping humans.

Demons\Devils on the other thrive on chaos and the more chaotic a place is, the easier they can slip in. First just as a presence, then as voices and inspirationgs and finnaly materializing themselves here.
So they try to get humans to do their bidding and increase the chaos around, weaking the power of Gods and giving them more influence.

Their conflict with the Gods stems not from a Good vs Evil idea but rather control, where Gods are stronger themselves as their concepts and laws are uphold but have to keep interaction at a minimum while Demons are just as strong as the power they can take from others and the more chaotic something is, the easier they can slip in.

And Czech mercenaries, and some Tartars…. Your point? The Teutonic Order had volunteers from all western Europe.

Fug, is Tatars the correct spelling?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars#Timeline

This really just looks like Chinese Chris Angel, who did similarly amazing "magic tricks" but was really just mostly smart editing and invisible cuts.

Every one of these prancing hair-faggots would be debunked if there was a camera behind them too.

/balt/ pride worldwide

This yas bugged me for a while why is it alwaus just cookie cutter magic stuff with wizards?

Why no brutal display of power like:

But no, all we get is some weak tolkien shit

Tatar is the actual name of them but Tartar is what they're traditionally called in Europe. So I'd go with Tartar because what we call them is more important than what they call themselves.