JRPG thread

post JRPG games, adventure, tactic or similar genre are allowed too as long they carry the japanese theme.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!61QkDYJQ!ntP5P7SduE98oI2ln1qf08CFsb4pNq1tK3rQBTQNQeI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Redundant.

Reminds me that I need to get into Grandia sometime, but my backlog is pretty damn big as is, to the point it's hard to decide what to give a go next. I'm at the end of the current series I'm playing through though, so I'm going to have to make a decision on where to go next.

Also, is Hoshigami all that good? And if so, is the PS1 or DS version the better option? I never see it brought up that much in discussion.

Some fan translation news for anyone interested:
Glory of Heracles IV: Gift of the Gods now on beta testing.

Proofreading of the SCS3 script is also currently done through Day 4, according to the GBAtemp thread.

So i'd like the opinion of some top tier advanced weeb hipster.

There's this PS2 JRPG called Evergrace, it's by From.
I really like it's OST, but i've never played the game itself, how is it?

Ys VIII is fucking great.

I'll look forward to XSEED announcing it coming over, since I've certainly heard good stuff about it.

Still need to give Celceta a go though. Pretty much no copies to found locally, though to my knowledge it's not like it sold poorly at all (for a Vita game anyhow).

Which JRPGs have the best cuties?

you need to play it! Grandia 1 is awesome and gives a really good feel of an adventure.

it's hard. damn hard.

never heard of it.

this looks nice, any way to get the beta?

All the girls in Ys VIII were pretty good.

Dana was LITERALLY too good for this world, though.

Yeah, I know there's a lot I still need to play, even classics. I suppose part of the issue with Grandia is that if I like it I'm probably going to want to play Grandia II, and I don't have access to a Dreamcast, my computer is a toaster I'm not sure will run it (be it the Dreamcast original through emulation or one of the PC versions), and while I'd have ready access to the PS2 version, I hear it's a really bad port. At least with Skies of Arcadia both the Dreamcast and Gamecube port are valid means to play; not sure how Grandia PS2 got botched.

Glory of Heracles (Herakles no Eikou in Japan) was a series that started life as an ancient Greece themed Dragon Quest clone to my knowledge, but eventually came into its own with the SFC entries. While only the DS game saw an official western release, Glory of Heracles, Glory of Heracles II, and Glory of Heracles III are as of now all fan translated, with GoH IV being far along in progress. I think there's even some Game Boy game as well that saw that treatment, but I'm not sure if it's an original entry or a port. Either way, the series has seen a surprising amount of love from fan-translators (meanwhile, fellow Data East JRPG series Metal Max still only has a single fan translated entry in addition to a localized PS2 entry).

Well, normally I'd say I don't think you're going to find an open beta, but it looks like if you contact Nightcrawler, they might still have room for people to do beta testing. Granted, that post was from maybe two weeks back, so they might be full.

World of Final Fantasy is actually pretty good, mechanically.

Too bad it seems pretty damn clear from screenshots that they messed around with the localization a lot.

Seconding this, this game interests me

I've only played the DS one. If you like Final Fantasy Tactics then you'll like Hoshigami.

I don't really mind, as I didn't pay for it, so I'm helping them starve to death.

Also, if you love FFT and haven't played Tactics Ogre (and Ogre Battle afterwards) you are maximum pleb.

Why live?

I seem to recall hearing that it was either the predecessor or successor to some other game as well. Does that seem right?

Haven't played Lunar, but do you mean the ability to push enemy actions back (I think I've heard it, or maybe Grandia, had that)? Wild Arms 5 allows for something like that with the addition of DP and EP stats.

Source: . Could someone please test this and say if it works?
Here is AT2 with the latest 5a patch
mega.nz/#!61QkDYJQ!ntP5P7SduE98oI2ln1qf08CFsb4pNq1tK3rQBTQNQeI

Another one I ought to have mentioned: Vixen 357 for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive got fan-translated recently if anyone wants another mecha tactical JRPG to play in the future.

Anachronox :^)

Being EU is suffering. Even if I could bring myself to emulating it just feels too unnatural to me I have the most toaster of machines which could probably hardly run EPSXE.

I played a bit of it. It's very Blue Dragon-esque, so I found it quite charming.

Yeah, I feel sorry for you PAL JRPG fans. Seems like a good deal of the time you guys got fucked over. Still, do it, WA2 is a great game. Emulate it if you have to, or if you have a PS3, make a US PSN account and a US PSN card and get stuff you guys missed out on that we got here (though I will say we're still missing plenty of good games on ours though for whatever reason. Looking at old Enix stuff for example there's nothing up there, since for some reason Square seems against rereleasing stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, and Dragon Warrior VII. And Namco's blowing a great opportunity to make some quick profit with rereleases of Tales of Destiny and Eternia. At least Konami did something right for once in finally getting Suikoden II put up (not that I'm giving them money at this point).

Another idea for a fellow toaster user: It plays fine on the PSP, giving you the benefit of getting around the region lock and still playing it on an actual system. If you have a CFW PSP, just download it as an eboot (or convert it to one from the ISOs; not entirely sure how it works for multidisc games, as I got mine preconverted) and put it on the memory stick in the GAME folder. It's how I play most PS1 games these days. Even works with fan-translated ones like Tales of Phantasia PS1.

Tales of the Abyss is easily one of the best Tales games, there is even an option to use Nip voices along with English subtitles for maximum comfy autism. PC version of Dragon's Dogma is good too, literally Skyrim but actually good. It's great that noone ITT has mentioned any overrated garbage aka modern FF games so far.

carlie is best girl

I like Tales of the Abyss a LOT myself, though it's not my favorite. At the same time it's the sort of game that leaves fans incredibly divided on it, despite being a solid game that will eat up a lot of time. Just figure I ought to say that for one considering it.

Was actually surprised that my friend I co-op the series with enjoyed Abyss just as much as I did. I thought it might be one he might hate and we'd play Graces after we beat it, but if anything Graces was the one he wound up not liking as much as the rest of the series.

I'm EU as well so I know the feel. Our ps1 market was bad to say the least.
Still, if you aren't a poorfag, upgrade your shit and play them all. You won't regret it.

The thing that surprises me has been that neither Sony nor Nintendo seemed real keen on using the digital format to finally officially give various regions games they missed out on originally. I mean, there's a few Japan only games on the US PSN that you don't need more in the way of moon to play, but you didn't see the US VC having Terranigma for us out in America, nor has the PAL PSN seen Wild Arms, Xenogears, Crono Cross, or anything else you guys missed.

Just seems like a real missed opportunity, and some of those I can't figure out why they wouldn't have come to PAL areas, especially if they did great in NA in sales.

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

In 2010 i got to work on an oil rig, i had permission to carry a lot of personal items with me but being afraid the sea weather would kill my laptop, i chose not to bring it, i found an old PC that wasn't working and the only problem was a dead ram stick, so i fixed it and also used it to play emulators on a decommissioned old LCD monitor .

It was a pentium III @ 650mhz with whopping 128mb SDRAM and i think 32mb video memory, i played through like 50 psx titles before i returned to land.

Maybe becasue translating games with lot of text in 5 different languages was too expensive back then. Don't know, just guessing.

All three of those games got updated ports/remakes. They'd rather you buy those.

saga frontier 1

saga frontier 2 a shit

If was going to play Valkyrie Profile for the first time, should I play psx or psp?

FUCK YOU

True, but at the same time, all of those are still physical only, so if someone wanted to play them with the Vita and avoid needing UMDs, they're shit out of luck because they didn't see mixed physical and digital formats. Though of course, fan ripped ISOs exist for use with CFW PSPs and PPSSPP.

From what I've seen, Square was willing to make some effort with certain PS1 games, namely bringing a fair amount of Final Fantasy titles to PAL regions (because of course, that would be what got their priorities, being their most popular series). But when a game like Xenogears or Chrono Trigger gets really well received in NA, I'd have thought that releasing it elsewhere would be an easy enough decision, instead of leaving the former a never ever for PAL and making people wait fourteen fucking years to officially get the latter.

How many languages did PAL stuff even tend to get translated into at the time anyhow? Looking at most older NA stuff, it's pretty much English only, unless games sent to Canada and Mexico got multiple language releases (the way I've seen some DS games ask if you want English or French when I've been shipped a Canuck copy somehow).

From what I know of it, the PS1 original actually has a bit of a good bonus for western players in that equipment management can be done on the fly, or something. With the PSP version that wasn't reimplemented.

Most games were translated, some even dubbed like Metal Gear Solid or The Legend of Dragoon.
But, as you said, some games were released in english only like Final Fantasy VII. So maybe, the localization wasn't the main reason to stop shipping games to EU.

Perhaps it was just the regional market. If I think about it, when I was a kid there were tons of soccer and car games on the shelfs of the stores.

it changes perspective and time skips like FF6

don't like it

Yeah, I've heard that for whatever reason, PAL's had a history of being treated as sports game territory or something (though I suppose South America's stolen that title). And even these days, looking at PSN releases of JRPGs, PAL still gets the shaft.

You don't like that you have multiple stories all going on at the same time, influencing eachother? Saga Frontier 1 does the same thing.

no saga frontier lets you control ONE charater and his palls, it doesn't switch you up like FF6 and SaGa Frontier 2

I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel at the moment. It's fun, but nowhere near as good as Trails in the Sky. The biggest problem with the game is this faggot right here. He's one of the most annoying and unlikable characters I've ever seen in a video game. Hopefully you get to beat him up later in the game. I'm only on chapter 3.

The PSP versions of the Gagharv trilogy have a battle system that's kind of like Lunar, albeit much more simplified, but I wouldn't recommend those unless you have a very high tolerance for bad grammar.

sage for double post.