Final Fantasy XI: Private Server edition

mods feel free to bumplock the other thread, the OP had incorrect information and it might be leading people astray

Final Fantasy XI is an old MMORPG that does not follow the holy trinity, its not oriented towards competition but cooperation instead, and will kick your ass if you refuse to cooperate with allies to surpass the challenges that it puts forward.
the Admin of Comfinity (our own private server) got cucked by real life and couldn't keep it up anymore, we re-gathered (or at least we're trying to!) on another private server that seems to be, overall, the best one out of the bunch. With more than a few custom made QoL improvements and minigames to earn extra gil.

ffera.com
First, download the game, yes, the official game: playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html
if you already have the game installed (from Steam or from the original Discs)
then simply follow these instructions: wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client
the game must be fully installed and updated for the server to work, once you have that, you can use the Windower 4 program to connect to any server of your choice.
trouble installing? ask up.

the server has an increased experience rate of 4x and a normal droprate of x1, but it also offers something new, the Mentor Mode, which is a self-restraining game mode with bonus perks, it caps your experience at 1x retail rate and blocks you from using Fields of Valor books while giving you access to certain extra features such as:
-free buffs from conveniently located NPCs around the game
-an infinite-usage
-access to special stores that sell equipment slightly better than what you would find in a regular weapon or armor shop in a city
-4x running speed within cities
-reduced exp loss on death past level 30 (non mentors lose 3 times as much exp when dying, while mentors lose just the normal amount)
it can be activated by typing "@bazaar" in game, and then talking to one of the two floating light-blue crystals in the bazaar area. you cannot change mentor mode on/off once you've gone past level 1 so it could be considered a hardcore mode. You're free to play either way you want, its character-independent.
The job you play is up to personal preference, you can switch them whenever you want, every job has its pros and cons and most of them can play more than one "role" depending on party setup.
send a private message in-game to Nel, Tonka, Uthayra or Kashiri to receive a Linkpearl, its an item that lets you chat in our private "room" so to say. To do so, you must open the chatbox and use the " /tell 'name' " command.

resources:
ffxi-atlas.com
In-game maps are not fully accurate, as part of the game was meant to be exploration, not every path is marked on the in-game maps
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
retail FFXI goes through updates even up to this [CURRENT YEAR] of ours, since the private server works on emulated software and its not trying to be just like modern retail FFXI, not everything might be accurate, but its still a good source of information for the most part.
no, the main story of the game is made of Rank Missions, which are different depending on which of the 3 nations you start on.
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rank
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Conquest

Other urls found in this thread:

ffera.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1943
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Scholar
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial_NPC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ayyyy

Also party tips if you're a unfamiliar

Type /sea to see the current players in the area, then invite them. Way faster.

Also for the love of christ if you don't know what you're doing don't start as a White Mage, as it's a healing class with gimped damage and low HP, it's best suited for parties. You start with 10,000 gil, and it's a bit hard to get more, but if you want to straight up farm gil, look up some starter quests, and in a pinch, the server has a goblin NPC located in the aformentioned Bazaar that asks for a random item each day.

1-15, you should level up (and explore your chosen home town for NPCs that want you to quest) until you hit 15. After which, you should party up with one or two of us folks, because if we do Level Sync with you as the Synced one, EVERYONE gets XP in areas where you still get XP, which is beneficial to everyone involved, so we can not only help you on the grind, but we can also grind with you.

1-15, the best place to grind is the zone outside your hometown, but after that, everyone and I mean EVERYONE heads to the Valkur Dunes until 30 (you'll also get your items for your subjob quest, which is a big ass powerup that everyone needs). After you've hit 30, the world is basically open to you in all respects, and you can grab Advanced Jobs, which are only more options for you to mess with.

This isn't a themepark mmo like WoW is or most are today, it'd be more accurate to call it a sandbox. A very comfy one at that.

artero, please

also for new guys: You have six starting classes.

Warrior: Strong as fuck manly man with big swords, able to take hits and keep going. Simple, but sweet.

Theif: Fast as fuck dick ass thief that can do big damage at the beginning of combat with Sneak Attack, and later gains tools to direct aggression away from mages, which in this game is fucking useful as fuck

Monk: Fast AND strong as fuck manlier man who fights with his fucking fists, with abilities centered around punching you really fucking fast. Think Kenshiro.

White Mage: Healslut with great buffs. Cannot really take a hit and has to be very careful when soloing as his class isn't as good on damage, however if you stick with it, you'll always be valued in a party for your wonderful healing, buffing and revival techniques.

Black Mage: The mage with the nukes. Can't take a hit like White Mage, but can usually fucking wreck individual enemies before they get a hit in. You will actually have to hold back in long fights in order to let the Warrior/Paladin/Ninja/Summoner to keep enemies and bosses from you, however. There's an art to it.

Red Mage: An all around class that LOOKS like it has no real specialty, but it does, and it's one of the most useful: Enfeebling spells. A Red Mage can blind you, slow you, bind you in place, and weaken you in general, bringing you below their level in combat skill, which makes you easy pickings, and makes them a great solo class.

And this isn't even HALF of the available classes, just the starting one. Each class is unique, and can be combined with other classes, as you have a full level Main class, and a half level Sub class, and both contribute to your stats and skill/magic pool.

So if you didn't know before, you know now. This is an MMO where we rely on eachother in order to survive, no handholding from the game's side.

SO GIT IN HERE

any reason why you chose Era over Nasomi?

I suggested it because it was balanced like the old games, but has features from newer ones that fixes the grievances from that era.

Also I learned this later, but the GM is pretty nice and does events regularly.

Also Nasomi has this shit in their rules but honestly it's a minor reason.

Also "I guess it just stuck" is more of a reason.

yes, we discussed this on the previous thread.

we know nasomi has at least four or five times the population of Era (specially since they dont allow more than 2 boxes per IP), and their rates are x1 for everybody, with no custom content to un-even the game, but their moderators are pretty tumblrish and so is the player population. Just read their rules&policies page and tell me any of those apply to Holla Forums users. i think in the long run it might even get some players banned for accidentally bantering outside the linkshell.

They also apparently frown upon the use of Windower (which is the best application to launch the game, far superior to shita) and they heavily frown upon usage of pretty much 99% of the plugins, they have no way of knowing if you are or are not using the plugins, but you can't casually talk about it because you'll probably get punished for using a simple quality of life plugin. With so many rules, i'm surprised they get to keep all those players.

I honestly expected much less reasonable responses. good to know the FFXI community is as civil as I remember it.

I'll probably give this a shot but not until tomorrow at the earliest.

Are you sure you're not talking about the first game?

it's a deliberate reference to it in fact.

HOW DID YOU KNOW
AM I THAT OBVIOUS
GODDAMMIT

So I've never played an MMORPG before, except about twenty minutes of Tera, and this looks pretty fun, especially because I've always wanted an MMO party experience like in my Japanese animes. So three questions, first is dos I have to pay shekels or does a private server negate that? Second is how alive is the server or is it alive enough to make at least a four man party? And lastly is the gameplay like what I've seen of WoW where you just sit there spamming two abilities, or is there more depth?

No, you dont have to pay.

There are 105 people on currently.

No, this is nothing like WoW. Abilities have long cooldowns, ranging from 30 seconds to an hour. Early on you will mostly be auto-attacking until you unlock new abilities from leveling up. The combat is pretty slow and doesn't require too much attention, giving you time to chat or whatever. The game is more focused on exploration and working together than just the combat.

the only thing you can spam when I played were spells and if you did that you'd run out of mp or get aggro and die instantly, so no on that last question. or at least half a no because you still stand around during most of combat.

no shekels, mekel.

We have a linkshell and a pretty good stock of players. early areas are pretty empty, but areas like Valkur Dunes tend to have a few people, but if you want a party outside of our linkshell, Check out Jeuno, it's where most people place their home points since it acts as a ghetto transit point between cities in this server.

Yeh. Some classes are very simple, however, like Warrior. But all classes outside of the early stabby classes and the mages have unique shit to do, and if you're a mage, you have to consider a couple of things, like enemy resistance and weakness (Lizards in the Valkur Dunes are VERY resistant to earth spells, i've found, while Air spells do fucking huge damage against them etc) And the farther you go with each class, the more complicated your strategies and skill applications can get, and later on you'll need to tailor how you react based on how enemies act.

In WoW, a debuff will always be some shit like a DoT, but in FF11, a debuff can make the enemy blind, make it's attacks slower (in a game where auto-attacks are a big source of damage), outright lower it's defense or other statistics, etc, like a real RPG instead of WoW's watered down bullshit.

There are enemies that you will NOT want to face while you're a noob in the area, like for example in the Valkur Dunes: skeletons (which only spawn during in game night) and Goblins, who have a good chance of suicide bombing you for big damage.

So in short, no, enough, and YES there is more depth.

i know because you keep saying wrong things in every thread, i know you're happy and having a lot of >FUN but please stop saying wrong things. The game is not a sandbox, not being based on the wow-esque-"trinity" does not make it a sandbox.

i have daily 6-man parties with plenty of different people, yes, its populated just enough. there is a "main" linkshell for the server, and our own linkshell which is specified in the Op.
as far as the gameplay goes, there are certain very specific situations where you will "spam" spells, they're called "manaburn parties", but generally you need at least a minimal strategy to beat enemies (endgame and Boss Circles always needs some kind of strategy, while grinding can go slow if you want to just spam, or it can go fast if you have a strategy and a party).

i suggest you start today, installing this game is the first casual filter and it might take a long time even though its also possible that you just fly through the installation like it was a greased slide.

105 is a cheesed number, there's at least 4 or 5 of those 105 that are sixtuple-boxing to solo the entire game, while some of them are simply dualboxing to have their own healers. i'd say the actual amount of people is around 60, but that's just my opinion, could be more.

ignore those sixtuple boxers, they're sad people.

1)What are the system requirements and bandwith usage of this game like? I basically have the choice of either severely limited bandwith or running it on a gimped laptop.

2)I seem to remember all of the classes are leveled separately? Is it popular for people to play different classes so they can do low level content with newer people?

3)If I do play, anyone want to pair up? I hate soloing in MMOs, but I'm fine with any role as long as I've got people to adventure with.

4)If playing casually, should I do the 1x, or just do 4x so I can catch up with people quicker? Are the rewards worth it?

its a game from 2003, there are people running it on phones and tablets right now. you can play with either a gamepad or KBM (i suggest KBM, its a really weird setup but once you properly master FFXI KBM control, it beats gamepad by far)

yes, jobs are leveled individually, and you can equip one job as a sub, which will only have half the level of your main job (this includes all skills except for the unique 1 hour skill) Many jobs are leveled separately so that they can later be used as subjobs for your main jobs (ie, leveling Dancer to 37 so you can use it as a subjob on Lv75 thief, 37 being the maximum level for a subjob)
Mind you, every job can be leveled to 75, but when equipped as a subjob, they're restricted to level 37 maximum.

thats pretty much the point of the thread, there are some things that you just have to do alone, but grindan and questing might as well be done entirely within groups

i dont know how much you will play, but if you're completely new to the game, might as well just start with the x4 exp until you learn how to play.
MM is more of a self-imposed challenge, for those who enjoy the trip above the destination.

It's a pretty old game. So toaster maybe? Not my area of expertise, someone else probably has them.

You can do that no matter WHAT your level with the Level Sync system, just set it to the weakest sauce in your party pizza.

You generally WILL be partying up half the time anyway. First 15 levels are solotown unless a another newbie (or job leveler on his new advanced job) hooks up with you, but generally they go by REALLY fast even if you go mentor.

If you're playing casually, go 4x. you can do 1x with a different character if you want later.

Mentor Mode is essentially another way to play, you get faster movement, a rechagable Chocobo Whistle (fast mount) and unique gear that casuals don't get from certain mentor shops.

For someone like me, who's less about the gear and more about coming on for a little while when I can, I won't pick mentor mode, but there are damned good benefits for dropping the casual exp rate.

Also, when you die in this game, you LOSE XP, and Mentors lose way less of it.

Cool, I'll probably download it and play later tonight. And I've always wanted to play a character that leaves the enemy a crippled burning blind mess, so I'll probably be a red mage. In that note, are there battle that take a long time, where crippling spells really get a chance to dig in and work? Because in games like Pokémon it always kissed me off that trying to status an enemy to death was far less efficient just killing it with high damage in one turn. Basically I want bosses that are not to be fucked with, and that need to be debuffed and prepared for to win. This isn't a must but it would be great.

1. The game was made to run on PS2, so it doesn't take much to run it.

2. You need to level multiple jobs for subjobs, but you don't have to level stuff you don't want to. There is level sync in the game so a 75 can level with a 15 if they want.

3. We do xp groups and quests all the time, just /t Tonka, Nel, or Kashiri for a pearl to a our guild.

4. That's personal preference. You can always make a second character to do both. If you do do both I suggest having your mentor on a separate account so you can level both at the same time, if you can dualbox.

You'll look back at that statement later and laugh.

Yes. End-game bosses will kill everyone except the tank and maybe some dps in one hit most of the time. It takes a lot of strategy and planning. As you level up regular monsters will start to murder you as well, making grouping up important.

not exactly, but yeah, enfeebles get very useful, you wont completely invalidate enemies, but you will hamper their advance juuust enough for the rest of your party to not fucking die, and thats very useful

I played it for a few weeks when it first came out in the US. Honestly I remember leveling being really slow even 1-15, and after that I got stuck because I chose the more difficult subclass quest and people stopped grouping with me because I didn't have a subclass and no-one would help because "that subclass quest was too hard."

If I level both at the same time, won't both accounts be really out of sync when it comes to levels?

I probably can dualbox, but playing multiple accounts seems like a lot of hassle to get them to follow each other and coordinate.

Oh also does race matter a lot? I can't remember which classes/races are good, and would want to experiment at first with that before deciding on one class to go for.

An enfeebling Red Mage is exceedingly useful to a party, and you can spam status spells like a bastard on tough enemies to bring them down to the party's level. But you'll also have your hands full as a secondary healer as well and an attacker.

Red Mages are fucking heinous to fight against in PVP, i've seen, since they can bind and paralyze enemies while they stack debuffs like a maniac.

not very, but slightly, the difference is that some stats might have around 2-4 point difference between races.

the most outstanding difference i can remember is that Galkas have a visible amount of extra HP, however, a white mage galka will never have more HP than a taru MNK, thats because MNK is just the kind of class that has a high HP counter while mages don't.
a Taru that begins as a black mage will begin with 10 INT, while a galka that begins as black mage will have like 6 or 7, it really isn't a gamebreaking difference.

>i've seen

>i've seen

PVP videos are hard to find on youtube for FF11 these days dear god turn off the sound

I love FFXIV for its aesthetics, should I try XI? I'm kind of scared to make a commitment to another mmo.

XIV just copied all it's models/designs from XI and other FF titles.

huh? That song doesn't seem tha- OH GOD NO

Good job team!

THE TRUE RETAIL™ EXPERIENCE

poe's law, everytime

Operating hardcore

Fusion looks pretty cool

what did they change?

sounds like it might not be a good idea for me to play anymore.

They wanted to change the crafting so it capped at 100 like retail (although you can still get 100 in every craft unlike retail). Before their crafting script would set your rank to expert because the guild quests were broken, allowing you to go over 100. It was only a few points so it wasn't really a big deal and shouldn't have been a priority. The "fucking over the server" thing is because they goofed and accidently capped combat skills at 100 instead of crafting skills. So everyone on the server had their combat skills lowered to 100 (to put that in perspective, my dagger skill on my level 75 thief is 269). They did a rollback to fix it, but if anyone got any skillups during that day they probably lost them. Not a particularly big deal since skill ups are easy to get, just a pointless change that caused some problems. You'd think they would want to fix emotes first, but no, let's just make it harder to HQ!

don't be so exagerated, it was nothing important, they just tried to cap all crafting levels at 100 even though some people had already gone beyond that (to a maximum of 103 or 104, cant go any higher because there aren't recipes in the game that give exp beyond that). pretty much all of the knowledge-able people told them not to because it would make some equipment (that old players already have) incredibly expensive, salve for a few GM bootlickers.

but instead they reduced all skills of every character in the game to 100, not just crafting.
Sword, dagger, axes, katanas, elemental magic, ranged, et c. all down to 100. when the cap for level 75s on combat skills goes way above 300 (and takes hours to get) Then they spent about 1 hour or two fixing their fuck up, while people couldn't connect, on a friday night.

its fixed now but damn that was funny, if they had listened to users to make that shitty unnecessary change there would have been no fuck up.

just started downloading and wanted to give you guys a bump. won't be done installing this shit till midnight though.

Hey I'm not trying to be exaggerated, just going by what said. It sounded bad.

that's my post too, i just have a dynamic IP.

it wasn't really a huge deal, but boy did they fuck up.

average party at , the place every lv12 goes to DIE

MITHRABUTTS, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR WOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE DONE SOMETHING LIKE THAT WHILE PEOPLE ARE PLAYING

t.mithrabutts.

Or have done anything with the server, at all. because I am a lazy piece of shit :^).

Trying to re-install the game onto my main computer so I can play with you fags. Really wish I could play at work again doe.

how about those portable USB modems? what are they called again? 3G?

you could take a lappy with you and one of those, it would technically be your own internet connection and not your office's.

holy shit finally done with the game. gonna go to bed and get all the other shit tomorrow and maybe I'll get a chance to play so have a bump so this doesn't die before then.

i told you dog i told you about that 8hr update

I haven't even started updating yet

if you want to kill these fish at a decent speed, you better have a party this big

How many of those people are actual people?

5, the only dualboxer there is uthayra/valya

don't die on me

we're not posting because we're having too much FUN inside game. i'm close to level 55 (mentor mode)

at least stop playing the game to bump your thread. I'll hop on and level WAR on my memetor

at least stop playing the game to bump your thread. I'll hop on and level WAR on my memetor

>go to for mission
>fucking elvaan goes in between the elemental and the boss and starts casting magic, agroing the elemental, and removing his , in turn agroing every enemy around

You guys are OK, don't go to

we're going for a party right now, guess fucking where

lmao 2hammer

Downloading the game. Wish me luck.

seeya in 7 hours :^)

i wonder what happened to that other guy who said he'd download

we haven't really gotten any new players. Remember, once you're in game, send a /tell to either Nel, Tonka, Kashiri, or Uthayra for a pearl to our channel.

reposting Windower4+xiloader config guide from last thread

I'm leaving library in 4-5 hours so it may be a few days till i start playing.

nope, i fell for this meme before, 95% of people quit and im the one soloing

anyone interested in playing with me on a more populated server?

its the second most populated server.

why are all the servers so dead?

anyone know what the cap on retail was?

cap on what? level?

retail cap is batshit insane, its lvl 99 but they implemented ItemLevel mechanics, so when you have a full 5 pieces of Lv119 gear, your characters level is basically 119, they also made some bullshit RNG to "roll" for item augments that lets you get insanely overpowered

shitty iLvl 117 gear from an NPC is enough to solo all of the story modes up to wings of the goddess, and with some decent augmented gear you can also solo Seekers of Adoulin and most of Rhapsodies.

but that doesn't really matters, we're playing Era which has the old school "cap" of 75. the custom content and custom augment system of the server isn't over-the-top like it is in retail or Valhalla (another privy with even less pop).

It seemed to install fairly quick. Do I have to install 5000 updates, am I missing something, or am I done?

follow the guide, you have to update through POL.exe

oh rip. Hopefully disconnecting midway through updates won't fuck things up.

disconnecting midway through is never good, specially not for updates, or installations.

You can't disconnect part way through. Era's guide for connecting to the server can be found here. They have a link to the torrent with the patch files in it, if you use that it will shorten your patch time significantly.

ffera.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1943

well I'm gonna disonnect halfway through regardless, so let's hope it isn't too catastrophic

why not do it tomorrow?

already started

and how are you so sure it will disconect?

library closes in 1 hr, 3 hours left of updating.

damn son, dont have a desktop… or your own internet for that matter?

How active is this private server? How many people are on at a time?

about 70-100 people on, give or take a couple multiboxers

wew that sounds pretty good, I might play again even though all my friends are playing FFXIV right now

what was the last time you played?

Hmm I think I played with Holla Forums earlier this year, on a private server but it didn't have many people on

yeah, Comfinity. Glad to know the people from there are coming back here.

what was your character?

I didn't play a whole lot, I can't remember my name.

oh well, you can always try again

here's us having fun with a stronk NM

I had the old server setup on a laptop somewhere, can I just change that to this new server or what?

Yes, you just change the server you're connecting to. Although you probably have to update if you haven't played in a few months.

yes, definitely

you might have to update your FFXI client though, but other than that, you can just change your settings in windower, i've explained this already in an image

I'm bored, any of you nerds XPing and want a pocket healer for a little bit?

I SAID COME IN DONT STAND THERE

What are Samurai like? Are they a good class to play? If so what race/starting class should I pick?

Pshh, It's just another dumb NEET MMO-

Y E S

Samurai is a job you have to unlock. You can start unlocking jobs at level 30 of any of the main 6 jobs.

they're nice, they have good DPS, good armor, useful self-buff abilities, the 2nd strongest weapon type in the game (great katana) and the ability to give themselves fast TP regain to perform successive skills to make a skillchain, its pretty much the only job capable of skillchaining alone

monk is nice, it can get incredibly powerful but might be really slow and shitty at first, gear available for monk at high levels usually has HASTE as a natural bonus stat, martial Belts which are only available for monk give incredible Haste bonuses (up to 12%, half the cap) to allow you to reach the cap of 27% attack speed that is obtainable through equipment alone.
With capped equipment-haste, enhancing Haste magic from red mages/summoners, low-delay fist weapons, and the addition of kicking attacks to your regular punches, MNK compensates its natural low damage with repeated and constant blows. A high level monk will normally attack 3 to 4 times per 'turn', which does not stop it from using weapon skills once it gets enough TP, like Combo, raging fists, or asuran fists.
the 1 hour ability of the monk is Hundred Fists, an ability that reduces the delay between normal physical attacks to 0 for 60 seconds.

I crashed twice whenever I tried to leave the area and now I can't seem to connect to the serber. Is this an issue on my end?

Nice. Thanks for the info, user.

No cable at home, so I have to rely on 4g, which is both limited to ~10GB a month tethered, and intermittent enough that there's a pretty solid chance that it'd disconnect at least once in 5 hours.

Once I fully install I can try copying over the files from my laptop and see how bad actually playing the game is in terms of bandwith/connectivity is I guess.

Ok I just updated and my game still crashes whenever I enter a different area. Any ideas?

Does pol.exe just crash, or are you getting an error? Did you follow all of the install instructions? Did you do a check files recently?

I managed to fix it.

Turns out I had about 3 copies of FFXI on my hard drive, so I updated one of them, and set that to xiloader (it wasn't before) and now it's working.

I started playing on comfinity earlier this year. I was going to main MNK. Then life kicked my shit in twice. I want to start playing again , but I fear I don't have enough time. Ah well couldn't hurt to try and install it and see what happens.

server was down last night for a long time

become a neet

hmmmmmmmmm, I don't think my wife would like that very much.

ask your wife's son to play for you while you're at job

hahahaha your funny, I like you.You're alright in my book.

Tell your wife that she's the man of the house now and needs to bring home the bacon. If she questions you just repeatedly say it's 2016.

>trade all my 4 stacks a stack is 12 btw

what a hanuka!

This is nightmare.

you could have downloaded the patch from the era website

it radically reduces your time to almost 1/4th or even 1/6th of that.

This patch?

yes, exactly

Getting a new rig soon and then I'm going to finally make my own private server instance like I've been saying I wanted to do for fucking months now.

That I may fish at the Knightwell everlasting.

too much moving around butts, besides you'll get fucked by something else in the future and back to the darkness

can't we just play here? this server has lasted 3 years, that proves that they got stability at least.

ok got it installed and running, just need to decide if I want to start in Bastok, or Sandy. Windurst is right out. It's too late for me start playing right now though. See you all tomorrow.

Pls explain. I haven't played in awhile.

he kept disconnecting for like an hour

This is now the only video games board that matters.

this is pretty much the only videogames thread in the board

Job/weapon/stat affinities to begin with. Also I know mithra can eat fish raw and are naturally good at crits. Elvaan are naturally good at swords and greatswords and have the highest natural mnd stat. Humes are average at everything. Taru are natural magic users and Galka have most HP and have natural blunt weapon proficiency.

Ok I followed all the steps and windower is crashing on me when I try to launch xiloader. Goes unresponsive and this is in the crash file.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
[ 4.2.5564.39855 ] 2016-11-03 21:52:55.3071796 UTC
———————————————————————
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at #=qPVzKPXreBMK$G_TScC8d1Ctb_fGj44I1J70nspZgfgc=.#=q$pww7u7a8E5KBZ87oKIoig==(String #=qoOfmmNOMqhuJULvaMcWu2w==, #=qdWKs2YH5SnFgXJPCF1szgPXoHSmmSh4DrfoUED_SDBo= #=quTc0RVW0C2_5GERaxMw4LQ==, Boolean #=qhFOX1aUHv3mgiXMa34qGNQ==, TimeSpan #=qFEzHGxyOne7p37rEWbV8$w==)
at #=qPVzKPXreBMK$G_TScC8d1Ctb_fGj44I1J70nspZgfgc=.#=qsKKl1l0g1HURDWit8B79Fw==(String #=qqKTShJx7xnazuWOpJ6ZDeg==, #=qdWKs2YH5SnFgXJPCF1szgPXoHSmmSh4DrfoUED_SDBo= #=qiV1cyIFi8uzxd23Z9RTz8A==, Boolean #=qvxtyf2yqPR87sOWe96PA4A==)
at #=qvticlh8sdG9urHCodAc05R$Pt$DrlamfeVITJje_ohY=.#=qxA0hzrjWSVf3wZHstSp6qA==()
at #=q4ao$U6CJ_ca3wGsQbteYRInNOUKn7px0EZirpC9v2dQ=.#=qRSqZ29WH0ZYrlsLq$sgMxA==(#=q9gJgdStyyOZoRfONVWltog== #=qhFHi0z6eBl3jv5Ev3xCTig==)
at #=q9gJgdStyyOZoRfONVWltog==.#=q1GDlKxdSu3j9WeEYkyufMQ==()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Any ideas what's going on?

did you download the latest xiloader.exe and put it in the correct folder?

did you download rsvc 2015 for xiloader?

Okay I fixed it and created an account, but now when I login, xiloader just closes after logging in and nothing happens?

Is the server down or something?

nope, not down, you must be doing something wrong, did you configure the Settings.xml correctly?

Did it exactly as in the guide. It just says "logged in!" then "Closing…" every time I login through xiloader of pol.exe from era.

or*

no dude you dont have to log in through xiloader.exe

you put xiloader.exe next to pol.exe, and then you use windower 4 to log in

so user, did you manage to enter the game? dont leave us hangin'

…. user?

Man between this, Wurm and my tests I'm gunna be busy as FUCK

why does the torrent on the era site have the seekers expansion? isn't this a 75 cap server?

yeah but it doesnt works like you think it does.

read up a bit fam, i've already explained this a hundred times, tl;dr: private servers of FFXI work on emulated software but you need the latest client anyways to bypass the proprietary launcher.

I wouldn't think the client would be tied to an expansion though.

the main idea behind the dark star project is not to emulate the game "up to -x- expansion", its to emulate the game completely and as-is up to the latest update.

when everything is emulated, the owners of each server can customize and limit access to later areas in order to "simulate" a server that "goes up to -x- expansion"

does this mean things like item stats and job balance would play as though it were the current release?

it plays how the programmers at DSP programmed it, they attempted to simulate a more classic experience, and overall they do a good job.

most of the code in Era server is DSP vanilla, ToaU is still broken as fuck, Wings of the goddess doesn't really work at all, except for the jobs (scholar & dancer)

did they ever change "how they play"? stats and items never changed their functionality.
the things that changed the game and "unbalanced" it, if you ask me, were
A. the level cap rise to 99, Abyssea.
and
B. the addition of shit jobs (GEO), itemLevel, and Rhapsodies of Vana'Diel which lets you get experience like it was a private server with x50 rate

era is capped at 75 and the only thing you can get out of the WotG maps is the 2 jobs and some "custom" drops from enemies.

I very distinctly remember an update a long ass time ago that changed the way damage scaling worked with certain weapons to discourage everyone from using /NIN and RNG all the time. I don't think it worked but I'd imagine tons of changes like that occurred after the cap raise.

keep in mind the last time I played was in early 05.

i have no idea, era admin says they try to emulate the 2008 game

well then I guess when this piece of shit gets done updating we'll see how accurate my memories are.

If the last time you played was around 05 you're probably thinking about the change to ranged attacks that made them do more damage the further away you were so sams couldn't spam sidewinder for a billion damage. As far as I can tell ranged attacks do the same from any distance, although I've never bothered to test it.

Windower 4 loads xiloader though, which is what I meant.

Nope. Gonna reinstall everything again today and give it one last try.

You sure you didn't miss any steps during installation? Good to double check before completely reinstalling.

yeah, you should definitely double check you didn't miss any steps, its a hard game to install, but you should definitely try doing everything before reinstalling, because that usually solves nothing.

-download and install the visual studio 2015 runtimes
-redownload the latest version of xiloader.exe
-check that your Settings.xml is configured correctly post a screenshot of it just in case, i might be able to catch something
-make sure you're not missing any DLLs
-as a last resort, go into IRC and ask the DSP people about it, they're slow to respond but they generally know their shit.

good luck user, the problem is usually something far more simple than you think, again, double check that you did all the steps correctly

is the windower installation at least faster than this?

takes like 10 min to set up windower at most.

so you went ahead and reinstalled the entire game? i hope it works for you, but im pretty sure you could have fixed it without doing that

I'm a different guy.

my bad.

download TehKrizz patch, it reduces the update time to 2 hours tops

wat do? Have double-triple checked every step.

open the windower folder and take a screenshot of the contents of Settings.xml

Repeatedly asking for login info usually means a problem with the login/lobby server. Try again later.

How often does it take to fix/how often does it happen? Has been like this for awhile.

Last time I can find on the forums is from June, so not often. Somebody beefed something somewhere. Dev team will have to find what's causing issue, reverse it, and restart login server. According to the website the server is up and people are online, so it's just the login server and not the whole thing.

try again now, the Login server was fucked up but i hopped into teamspeak and asked the GMs to fix it.

okay it's working now. Created a character and logged in for a few minutes, but don't really have any time to play today. I'll decide on a name and maybe play a bit tomorrow or monday.

Any classes/races we could use?

Just play whatever you want man, except Galka. Galka are gay and have no dicks.

thats okay mithra have enough for both

im gonna log in now, you should have posted your name so i could go give you a pearl

You mean Tarutaru

the joke was that mithras have cocks you dip

The joke is that Taru have enough dick for two, dongus

mithra futa cock > taru peanut

I'm remaking anyway since I didn't know what name to use.

Where did you download them from? Chrome fucks up large downloads and you have to download it again. Get a download manager.

tonka log in already need a WHM for

I'm out getting a burrito right now, then I gotta eat the burrito. Isn't slut there.

nah, he isnt on yet, and even then, he hasn't been able to defeat Maat yet so he'd be stuck at level 70

rip

i fucking hate these normalfags. i wish more Holla Forums neets would join so we could form actual leveling groups and not just page-baby groups who merit on EPs with pages.

Friedrich, anopsia, auxy, pls come back

Hey, just installed this and I managed to get on the character selection screen, only time I ever played this was when they had a free trial and pretty much sucked at it but now I wanna play with you guys. Is there any roles you guys are missing for your adventures? Is Scholar a complicated class?

you can play whatever you want because you can switch jobs pretty easily.

Scholars are a hybrid mage that can cast both black and white magic. Their gimmick is that they can use "strategems" to switch proficiencies. Switching to Dark Arts increases your skill with black magic and enfeebling magic and other benefits, while lowering the effectiveness of white magic. Same thing with switching to White Arts.
This is just a short summary and more details can be found on the wiki
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Scholar
get used to googling stuff you don't know for FFXI but still feel free to ask any questions you may have

I'm not sure about the high level people, but it seems like there might be some other newbies joining.

I haven't decided my class yet, so I can decide mine based on yours if you need a healer or tank or something. I'll probably be playing pretty casually on mentor mode though, so I might take forever to level.

stop thinking about what class to start at and just START

you can change jobs at any point and play whatever you want, all the sackholders are online right now, so log in and /tell Nel, Tonka, or Kashiri for pearls to our linkshell

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try out Red Mage with Mentor off, Name is Garrkelvin

I personally can't play right now anyway.

Took some effort to get it going, but I'm in finally.

Name's Thornyr, went with Monk to start

are you offline? trying to contact you

As far as I can tell, I'm online. Remade my character at first so I had to wait a minute before I could get back in.

im sending you /tells but you dont reply

rude

I'm not seeing any tells coming in. Do I have to do anything to see them or what?

Finally started. Invite Ells pls.

bumping for fun.

3 new people joined today.

all new players must read this to not get bullied in-game

i repeat
this is mandatory reading to not get bullied in-game

for the possibility of not getting bullied, there are no guarantees

I'm thinking of joining you guys, my point of comparison is FFXIV but I like in-depth autism simulators, how many people in our groups typically?

don't have enough people to make our own high level groups yet, but we do try to make low level parties and grind out our Jobs.

more than half the linkshell are newcomers to the game who are learning on the go.

How much of a time investment am I going to need in order to keep up with you guys?

If you make a mentor, a lot. The 1x xp rate and no FoV pages (kill x of y, get #### xp) is slow going when it comes to leveling. It's fun, and you get some neat things with it though. A regular character levels much faster, although you can out level your combat and magic skills and skilling them up later really sucks. If you're going to play more casually, a regular character might be better for you (or if you want to get more done when playing more hardcore). You could always make a second account and make a regular character and a mentor.

1 char per account then?

you can make 16 chars per account, but why would you? that's just a pain in the ass.

making 1 per account is for functionality

With multiple accounts you can play them at the same time.

I'm not really willing to reach THAT level of autism, I just figured it would be fun times sperging out with you cunts online and doing some hardcore number crunching and character building

was it that jubei guy again?

nope, but could have been

talk about fucking tedium, why couldn't steal have a 1 or 2 minute cooldown. Not like there's anything worth stealing in the rest of the game

download the game will install tonite, should be able to play tomorrow i think.

t. random user

Nice. people just helped me get my subjob, so I'll be able to help out others newbies a bit better now.

nice, we need more people

Made a character if someone would like to give me a pearl.

some guy just quit and gave me ALL of his items. I got like 2 wardrobes and 1 mog Sack full of items, thats about 240 item slots.

i'll be giving freebies to new players as they come, such as low level weapons and armor.

Butts when will you go neet and play with us

Not sure what i am doing wrong but windower4 keeps erasing any changes i make? i try setting up a profile but its gone after i close windower4.

Are you running as admin?

i think the problem is editing the settings document, it keeps telling me there is problems when i try to save

Is it comfy? I've been looking for a comfy MMO to play

if you copy it to the desktop and edit it there, is there the same problem?

remember to all vote for the Trumpenfuhrer today guys. I'll be on to get comfy with you after I vote.

It worked thanks fam

it also would've worked if you opened your text editor as an administrator

No worries matey. The issue is with system level access settings on Program Files (x86). It's a pain in the ass and everything in there needs admin access to run. Sometimes it's quicker to copy and paste rather than go through and look for your word editor and then run that as admin.

h-hot

change the properties of the entire FFXI folder to not be read only.

As someone who loves the game but hates playing it, I have a few questions.

1. Does Era have proper working content for all the base game/RotZ? Skipping cutscenes, buggy quests and nonfunctional NPCs might be okay for some people, but not for me.

2. Are the travel NPCs clearly marked? I'm one of those weird people who talk to NPCs for reasons other than questing and I don't want to teleport to another continent by mistake.

3. Is it just a rush to endgame or are there players willing to go through the story missions?

1. Pretty much everything through CoP works, with a few minor things here and there.

2. The warp npcs are all monsters, so I think you can figure it out

3. Well, a lot of end game content requires story missions, and people are usually willing to help with missions they've already done

Okay, thanks. I'll start installing tonight.

Holy fuck. I never thought such a thing existed.

The project has been around for quite a few years. I remember when it was first starting and nothing worked, and we all broke the server pretty much every hour testing things. It's quite astonish at how well it works now.

That doesn't have anything to do with system-level admin priviliges. The correct way to fix it would be to change the folder ownership to everyone.

maybe if you had used google sometime in the last 6 years, you'd have found the DSproject

To be fair, a lot of people used to say there would never be a FFXI private server, due to how pol works.

i bet they're feeling really stupid since 2010

Configuring this is a bitch and a half. None of my settings are being read at all, even after writing them to the registry manually, and there are three mutually exclusive running methods, one of which can't be attempted because all the files were taken down.

What I want:

What I get:

are you using windower? thats windower default, thats why its called WINDOWer. its a borderless window. if you move your cursor to your second monitor it will exit and enter the game perfectly
you can change the gamma in the games config
what do you mean by this? plugins are automatically loaded when you load the game, not all plugins work (its all fanmade code after all).

in any case, if the plugin you want doesn't load, you can do it manually, type in your text chat:

//lua load "plugin name"

mind you, this has to be done in the in-game chatbox, not the console that you bring up with the INSERT key

I am using the Era launcher, which uses Windower. I have already configured Windower and installed the plugins and addons I want, and they are all set to load automatically. None of the things that should be happening are actually happening.

If you already changed settings in windower did you also change settings in FFXI config? In the FFXI folder under ToolsUS use the config exe to change settings to match windower. That can cause issues sometimes.

I arbitrarily and instantly trust you. How do I set Windower to access the Era server? Do I need the default pol.exe or the replacement?

making a

I seem to have resolved most of my issues, but I'm getting error FFXI-3001 when I try to register a character.

im gonna go sleep early tonight, not feeling well, my mind is someplace else and im playing like shit.

Era servers a shit.

they might be having difficulties with the login server, stop creating endless characters and just close the game and open it again.

give it some time. for example, the server crashed just now as im typing this post.

insomnia is a bitch…

It might also be partially due to my firewall. I turned it off and started a new character without a hitch. Still no starting scene, though. Are the introduction scenes for starting a new character just not implemented in Darkstar? It seems odd that literally the first thing you see as a player isn't implemented.

but did you manage to enter the game yet?

Yeah, after a bit.

send a /tell to Tonka, he can pearl you up

im already offline for the night

I am too, rip that guy

WAY TO WASTE MY TIME FAGGOT

this is why we need our LS to grow.

partying with randoms sucks because they're all retarded

I kind of want to try this shit because it seems comfy, but the combat seems dull as fuck.

The game is more about exploration then combat. Hunting rare items, doing missions is the main thing. At high levels you can put together different gear sets to try to push your damage to max, but other than that you don't have to pay attention to combat too much, unless you're fighting stuff way above you in a exp group.

That sounds comfy as fuck then. Currently at the point of installation where you repair files, which is gonna take like 6 hours.

download TehKrizz patch, radically reduces repairing time to about 1/4th

Oh sick, downloading the 2gb one now.

Newfag here

Just finished downloading. Hope installation goes well.

UH

That's a glitch that happens sometimes, it's just displaying the wrong character data, you can't log in to the wrong character.

So I started out in Windurst because it looked cool. I don't think I've seen any actual players there yet. Was it a bad choice? I assume in the long run it doesn't matter where you start though

If you start in your race's city, you get the city ring for free at the start, otherwise you have to wait until you're rank 3 to buy it. Each city has its own missions from 1-1 to 2-3, and from 6-1 to rank 10. You don't see anyone because Windurst a shit and everyone hangs out in Jeuno the neutral city.

windurst is a shitty town because the entire city is built like a fucking labyrinth. there's no recognizable landmarks to guide you without having to open the map every 5 seconds.

but other than that it doesn't really matter, do what the OP says to get a pearl to our linkshell

I think I have everything for the game downloaded and installed, but it kept throwing .dll errors when it launched xiloader, and trying to install the required Visual Studio packages also ended in errors. So now, I'm catching up on over a year's worth of Windows updates to see if that helps.

I hope everything works out.

have you ever used dll-files.com?

just download any missing dll files individually and paste them into your system 32/sysWOW64 folders

if you dont know what missing DLLs you need, download Dependency Walker, nifty little program, to tell you.

Can I solo this at all, or do I need a party at all times like in vanilla?
Is there a bunch of mandatory dungeons every like 5 levels like in FFXIV?
I really just want to see the story since I remember people saying it was good, but have never actually played the game before

you can't solo much beyond level 15
no, just a few """dungeons""" where you have to do something very specific
can you stop spoilering everything you unbelievable moron there was no reason to do it since you're not spoiling anything

I'm spoilering my shame

Thanks for the help. But, I tried downloading the missing .dll (api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll) and putting it in both the System32 and SysWOW64 folders. It still said the .dll was missing, so I took it back out.

Windows update are almost done; if they don't do the trick then I'll try putting the .dll file back in manually and restarting to see if it registers.

Sorry, I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff. I can follow instructions and troubleshooting guides but that's about it.

you might be missing more than one dll

you might have a 32-bit version of the dll in the wow64 folder, or vice versa, a 64 bit version of a dll in the system 32 folder.

Been trying to log back in for the past 10 minutes or so, but getting met by a black screen every time I try to load my character. Wat do?

its darksday start SYNTHESIZING

doing pretty good here

If you don't play as a memetor you can solo to 75, with the exception of the level cap quests. Black mages will have a harder time soloing though.

i guess, but it would be reeeally boring

aw geez you remember me ( ;∀;)

but I'm playing other games now~ gomennasai~

ahh, well, not that I don't miss you guys and ffxi =w= one of my friend from IRC is maybe coming to play on era so maybe I will come play too

also I think tonka doesn't like me

just come you slut you know you want that

get bullycided nerd

anyone got an opinion on BST?
mentor is really burning me out since I've spent so much time in meme dunes and making slow progress when I do grind there
I'm considering making a normalfag taru when my friend joins the server

i just got this crazy idea.

how about you organize a party…. somewhere away from the dunes?

Never played an MMO. Is this a small Holla Forums server or a big normalfag one?

You're not going to enjoy an mmo with a 15 person weekly peak population at all. Not unless we all go insane and decide to hop on a warlords of draenor private realm for some ridiculous reason.

its a moderately populated normalfag server.

oh false, i enjoyed Comfinity very much for what little time it lasted.

i dun it again

Macros are as they should be, no problems with targeting, just game throwing errors.

So what is going on here.

we cant do anything with that, you gonna have to figure the problem out.

that error message appears when you don't have/can't use a skill because you either don't have it or level synced below the level of the skill.

Look at this nigger that does not know about testimonials and beastcoins

proving you are the true nigger i see.

Unless this is not classic at all you bet your ass that Silver, Gold, and Mythril beastcoins are easy money.

and if WotG is in at all you can snatch Platinums. If you're Shekelsmith is high enough those can be melted into plat ingots. Everyone loves cursed gear.

I hope this game is like a regular game in that having the registry keys isn't important. If it isn't I should be able to create a repack of it with everything ready to go once it is all setup, if I decide to try out my first MMO (I have mostly played single player and regular multilayer till now).

I mean I'd love to just magically figure the problem out, but I've barely been playing a week, wrote the macros exactly how they were explained, and I don't know what stringcheese code people used to write the engine/server as well as people playing this for decades have.

Obviously it wasn't due to level sync or not having the skill, as I was casting it seconds before it stopped working.

You were probably just trying to do to many actions too quickly. You need to wait a second between actions.

tonka are you kill

So I logged in, made a character, started in Windurst. There's a tutorial NPC that I need to talk to but doesn't respond.

wat do

1. stop being retarded
2. there's no tutorial NPCs
3. ask nel for a pearl
5. ???
6. profit

The Darkstar team appears to have this attitude as well, since there's no other reasonable explanation for skipping the nation introductions (literally the first fucking thing you see with a new character) and nonfunctional core quests after so many years of development.

thats not a tutorial NPC.

there are no tutorial NPCs in FFXI.

if you wanted to start the rank quests, then you have to talk to one of the gate guards.

ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial_NPC

im logging out for a bit, if you want a linkpearl ask Tulslaeh, Tonka, or Kashiri

There's a good chunk of broken or nonexistant quests in this server. Not sure how many of them are due to the expansion timeline, and how many are just broken.

what am I doing wrong? keeps closing

keep trying.

sometimes the login server goes down but not the game server.

Just busy, if you really need something I can find time to get on.

nah its fine

not having any luck at all

well, the login server is definitely up right now.

did you put the xiloader.exe in the correct folder?
are you using windower 4?

yeah I'm using windower 4 and I have the xiloader in the same folder with the pol.exe

take a snapshot of your Settings.xml file and post here, wouldn't hurt to doublecheck the syntax is correct

that is good too.

try retracing your steps in the guide, maybe you missed something, for example, you could be using a faulty version of xiloader, try downloading the latest one.

it's weird because your game should be opening after that.

where can I download the newest version? all the links I find are dead or don't open

its on the guide

ZONC

do tell us if you manage to make it work user.

im not very good at solving these problems, usually tonka figures them out on the spot.

/ma "bump IV"