CRT Thread

Just dusted off this baby from an old basement, it had already lost the color the way old TVs do when you put a magnet near. But after messing around with the magnet from a broken speaker I managed to make it look passable. Now the colors display normally except bot some red at the bottom of the screen.

But the screen settings are a bit messed up. No matter how I arrange the sliders it never satisfies me. Do you guys have any tips to adjust the gamma and all that jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

scarthunter.blogspot.mx/2015_02_01_archive.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meme thread, hidden.

Why do you hate your eyes?

Why do you hate your eyes?

I only own a PC CRT, but i can get my fix with it, output is not so bad

there's already a CRT thread on page 15 you cockgobbling faggot of an OP. use the fucking catalog.

bump

i had a dream i hooked up my old crt tv. but my tv has been dead for years. when i woke up it wasnt there
#halloween spooks

there's a special magnet that can fix the color, you wave it around the front of the TV, forgot what it's called but it's like a circle

to adjust further settings you need to open the back of the TV and twiddle the knobs, but be careful it's a little dangerous.

This meme needs to die.

Interesting i never heard of anything like that, the only option i knew was using the default degaussing options provided, and many older CRTs didn't had such a feature

CANCER
A
N
C
E
R

They're all (1) fags. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

ayy

I found this interesting read

scarthunter.blogspot.mx/2015_02_01_archive.html

This guy appears to be converting consumer tier Crts into Rgb monitors pretty much just by knowing the layout of the Jungle IC Chip, then figuring out where to solder cables
It's something that many people tried to do before but always had limited success.

Motherfucker I don't want to bunker on krautchan again. Their memes smell like boiled cabbage and it's filled with fins and turnipniggers.

haha lol

That's really neat, but I wish he went into more detail about how he found the contacts to use instead of just showing off that it works. He has step-by-step instructions for disassembling a SNK arcade joystick in another entry, but this he glosses over with a handful of unspecific pictures?

I will try asking him since it seems he still updates his blog, but rarely, i hope he goes into a bit more detail since that is actually the very meat and bone of the mod

it's called a degaussing magnet. we used them at the arcade i worked at in the mid 90s

works pretty good. i should note that most high-end CRT tv's have that built-in. at least all of my Trinitron monitors/TVs had the degausser built in and accessible via OSD menu

If you don't care that much about the specs of CRTs, just get one from GoodWill, the side of the road, or craigslist or something. People are always getting rid of them.

Got this little guy to complement my ikegami but I have to say even though it was already cheapshit 20 years ago when it was new games like this look absolutely superb on it.

That looks sexy as fuck.
Can you post the knobs?

Looks damn good
Kek

Wow grandpa it's 1996 welcome to the digital age

this isnt crash team racing

Congratulations, you broke your TV by permanently magnetizing it.
The discoloration issues can be solved by properly by de-magnetizing it with a degauss device.

You can play CTR on your CRT after you CTR.

It was already magnetized to begin with. Thats why it was stashed in the first place

This solution might be on the brute end of the spectrum. But nobody in my area deals with old tvs anymore and I cant find a degauss magnet, not even online

and you would think that in spicland people would still need to their damn CRTs depaired

oh, my mistake

did mexicans even have tv before the year 2000

no but they had donkeys or "el burro" as they call them

bump

Is Ikegami that good?

I strongly prefer Panasonic whenever I can get my hands on it, it's my main CRT and Plasma's brand. I've got a Hitachi CRT and an ASUS IP panel for general computing.

I looked up Ikegami on eBay not long ago, seemed like slim pickins for a relatively obscure brand. I'd still look into buying one if their CRTs really are top-notch.

This is a Degaussing Coil. Probably 30 bucks on ebay

Goodwill doesn't accepts CRTs anymore and will yell at you for dropping them off or just trash'em.

I'd add to that: it's deadly to fuck around inside a CRT if you don't know what you're doing. The capaciators inside hold a decent charge whether it's unplugged or not.

Don't fuck around with CRTs if you don't know what you're doing.
Instead, search around the internet and see if there's a Service Menu for your TV model which can fix loads of geometry/color problems.

ajpg? why the fuck does the image flip?

They are for sure up to meme quality. They do bloom mildly more than the sonys though so they look a bit more like a TV. Sony definitely has more brand recognition and general availability by far but are quickly being piled up into people's closets so who knows how long that will last. Almost every ikegami you'll see will be the 14" one. 20" is even more "don't worry about it" than the sonys at this point I think. But I would probably still overpay for one if I found one and had the money. I only have this one because it was $100 a year ago and the meme played heavy on my mind. Also if you find a TM14-20R like mine you get a nifty drawer with buttons and a dial that pops out and lets you adjust a bunch of stuff including geometry. pretty sure it's the last model they made. If you get a TM14-17R you have to fuck around with a screwdriver to do that stuff.

I have an Ikegami TM14-17R, but the geometry is already really nice. Plus, I do need to learn how to tweak CRTs from the inside, so it's not something I'm really worried about. I compare it to my BVMs and PVM by describing the Ikegami as a softer, more organic feeling image. Whereas I say my Sony monitors have a distinct sharpness to them that gives each little pixel in games a prominence and clarity.

Fuck yeah! I remember the tactile bliss of adjusting shit with actual knobs and buttons. None of this smooth surface touch bullshit.