Monitors

Is there any reason to get a 1080p monitor over a 1440p other than price?

>>>Holla Forums

If the monitor is larger, a higher resolution helps to keep the image detailed. Also more things fit on screen. Personally though, I'd go for a higher refresh rate/low latency 1080p monitor.

Isn't that literally like saying "is there any reason to get copper over gold other than price?"

Let's get this shit started:

or

Why not 3 1080p monitors and have a fuck huge FOV for plane games/racing games?

It takes up less space.

If your system can't handle 1440p.

Since I sit with my 23" monitor ~20 inches from my face, it already takes up a massive amount of my field of view, so I personally don't see any benefit in going bigger at this point. 1920x1080 has served me fine for years, and it's also less demanding so I'm able to max out games slightly longer on the same hardware.

But is it worth it?

Absolutely disgusting.

Why would you stack them like that? Horizontally is best, gives the widest FOV.

A bigger and higher-res monitor is tremendously handy for programs like image editors, video editors, and so on.

On the other hand, that's just wasteful.

performance. 1440p is a 30% pixel increase so expect to lose a decent amount of frames. Also, few games have support 1440p so you're going to have that awful blur effect whenever you're playing

for everyday task (text processing, speadsheets), yes.

for gaming, nah… tho my eyes got used to 1440p and every thing at 1080p and bellow look blocky as shit

you can buy nice 1440p Korean monitor on the cheap

because 1440 is a shit meme made by manufactuers butthurt by the fact that 4K monitors will take years before they become practical in price/performance

The prices of 4k monitors are already starting to go down. Just save up a little bit more and get a 4k monitor. 1440p is becoming the new 1366x768. It would be retarded to get it now

I'm using a 1080p monitor because my 970 can't do 1440/144/Ultra on games, but I can generally 144FPS 1080p.
Plus,

bezel cucks.

If you're going to play console games on it, they will have extra input lag because anything but the new PS4 and maybe xbone don't support 1440p outputs.
If you have a shit PC, 1080p performance is worse than 1440p.
Other than that, 1440p is the shit. Best compromise between display size and pixel density IMHO (it's slightly more dense at 27" than the standard 96 PPI, making text smoother and reducing visible aliasing in games, without going so dense that you need to enable high DPI mode and fuck up all of your programs)
However, you will have to get used to having multiple programs on screen at once, because maximizing a single window across a monitor of this size is unwieldy and a waste of screen real estate. For programmers, text editor + console + web browser for documentation is good. For artists, paint program + references. Use your imagination.

1440p is pretty good in that 720p scales up 1:1 (for example FTL looks pixel perfect on my 1440p screen). But it does require a fair bit more power to push than 1080p.

Overall I prefer it over 1080p though.

I was actually considering 1440p for this exact reason.
I rarely if ever play any games in my actual native resolution. 720p seems to be the sweet spot for me, so a 1440p monitor would match that perfectly.
That, and I do plan to upgrade my set up in November-December, so it means I'll already have the 1440p monitor my set up will be made for.

Only problem with the scaling is that at least with Nvidia it's impossible to disable the horrendous bilinear filtering that's automatically applied when upscaling in most situations. FTL is one of the few examples I can think of where there's a way to bypass that somehow (I think because the game itself has an option to stretch the image to fullscreen and of course it's normally 720p anyway, so it scales 1:1 like you'd expect instead of relying on the drivers to handle the scaling which is where things usually go wrong).

If there's a way to disable that shitty bilinear filtering across more games I'd love to know how myself. Maybe it's possible with an AMD card..

Or maybe it's gaussian blur or bicubic interpolation, either way it's disgusting and I hate it.

1200p represent.
16:10 or bust

~78% actually

This is pretty much why I'd be hesitant to get a "4K" monitor. No way I'm using a 40" monitor, either. 1440p at 27" is pretty much the best solution for now.

16:10 is pretty cool. I feel bad for those who prefer it because nobody makes monitors with that aspect ratio anymore.

They do but you're restricted to 60Hz IPS that cost over 230 bucks.

Hey, I just got a tablet with an 8" 1920x1200 screen. It's pretty nice, but it also made me realize that 4:3 or 3:2 are better ratios.

Because you're a dickhole, please check my singles

kill youself

16:9 was a mistake.

Yeah, sadly we're kinda stuck with it now… and getting a huge, high-density one is a way to mitigate its sheer lack of vertical space.

I take it you only approve of memes that make it on facebook?

What do? It would look like shit right?

how the hell do i play rhythm games

Call me when they start making 24" CRTs that weight less than me.

Is there any reason to get a second-hand Audi C4/4A over a brand new Lamborghini Aventador other than price? This is basically how your argument sounds.

Alright Holla Forums.

OLED WHEN!?

OLED never, sorry.

Semi related, but I read that most CRTs had a native refresh rate of 240 Hz. So does that mean if I buy an LED monitor with that refresh rate that I would have the same silky smoothness as a CRT/ Or would there still be more lag?

sed when

Jesus Fuck, why isn't this a thing?

Oh.

Can I actually have some confused anime girls with questionmarks near their face?

Why do you think we still use gas and oil? Exactly because of that.

Where the fuck are the 1440p+ IPS-variant >60hz low response time monitors? Looking for a new monitor is fucking painful, you can either use shitty TN, or trade IPS for ghosting.

Also, pixels per cm^2 is where it's at, not raw resolution. There is little point in going from a 1080p to a 1440p if you almost double the size.

You can have my fucking 4k piece of shit ips monitor for the first TN display you can find me. At least I'll be able to play videogames again without my eyes melting.

Refresh rate? Size? I have no idea, OP, you tell me.

More worried about the ghosting and backlight bleed in dark scenes than the strong backlights lasering my eyes, since I mostly play in relatively well lit rooms.

I guess there's a better chance that a new tech comes around without those issues than IPS being improved to (almost) remove them.

why would anyone want their games to look like youre playing them through a jail cell.
are you black?

I've heard people improving backlight bleed by literally taping the sides on the inside and it working, so that should tell you something about how much effort manufacturers put to improve their screens.

I thought it was because of the jews.

jews and other powerful jew-like criminals

The only reasons are price, and if you have a video card that would struggle with more (which is also price, because otherwise you'd get a better card).

that's not a 2hu
this is

Species.

If you want to fuck around with solar and wind turbines, go ahead faggot.

SOLAR FREAKING ROADWAYS

you cant, they kill you

i remember this meme

You complained about copyrights, not about MOSSAD's Left Wing Cuck Corps.

i complained about jews and OLD MEN holding everyone else back