Metro games

I'm considering getting into these or at least playing one of them, how are they? Is one of them better or worse than the others?
I've never really noticed a lot of threads or discussions about these, might have just been me not paying attention though.

Stalker of Duty.

They're basically ripping off the Stalker atmosphere but with linear scripted design focusing on spectacle and setpieces.

Also they have shiny grafics.

There's only 2, just play one and then decide if you want to play the other.

I enjoyed the first more than the second one. The game also looks fantastic even with a low end CPU and GPU.

They can be pretty fun if you like atmospheric singleplayer shooters. The obvious comparison is STALKER and while it's true they share a similar atmosphere they play fairly differently.

If you don't mind fairly straightforward scripted levels and enjoy the setting then they are pretty good games. I've only played the first one normally since they sold the highest difficulty as DLC but apparently ranger mode is the best way to play it.

Really not a fan of that. But if the atmosphere is good enough I might be able to look past it.

Are the stories connected between the games?

Last Light is a direct sequel to 2033, so yes, the stories are connected.

Make sure you play the Redux version which made knife kills non-shit, and only play on Ranger Easy or Ranger Hard, since the normal difficulties are shit.

Yeah I was planning on Redux.
How can the normal one of all of them be shit? I'll definitely keep that in mind though.

I just realized I had downloaded this game a year ago and still haven't gotten around to playing it. Thanks user for reminding me.

Because enemies are bullet spongy as fuck if you don't play on Ranger mode.

I looked at the pile of games in front of me, which I barely recognize anymore, and saw that the Redux version was in there, sealed. Jesus fuck, I need to stop wasting my money.

I didn't buy it, but I'm falling into this stupid phase where I keep pirating shit only to put them on the back burner to play Crash or X-COM.

I enjoyed the games. They're not masterpieces, and they might as well be on rail, but overall very fun and I'd say definitely worth at least a play through for both of them.

It's not ripping off. The setting is very similar, but they don't hide it. They even give a nod to Stalker by having some guy comment on Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic when you're in the library (that's the book Stalker is based on).

it's frankly pretty shit.

Your frankly pretty shit.

2033 is the game to play if you wanted to play Stalker but all those decisions gave you a headache. 2033 is basically on rails.
The atmosphere is comfy, though.

the Metro 2033 redux version is shit, pirate the original version. Last light redux version has some minor stuff, i think.

Metro 2033 is to stalker what Cogfoppery is to steampunk. All the bells and whistles of the postapocalyptic nuclear russia story without any of the things that made it interesting or deep.

What are you people on about? It's not structured differently than the vast majority of games.

You're goddamn right it's comfy.

Linear shooter with a STALKER feel to them. They're plenty of fun. I would recommend playing the original Metro 2033 rather than the redux version since a few of the gun models/sounds were better. Just my opinion.
IIRC ranger difficulty also go hides hud icons that shows you what can be interacted with so be careful with that.

In what way, besides making it harder because you can only equip 2 guns instead of 3? I've played both extensively.

Nice trolling bro

Because it changes the dynamics from a spooky junky stealth archery gunnery to a generic arcade shooter?

You're not giving any specifics (which is typically the case with sweeping, false generalizations).

Give me some specifics, because I have played both side by side and Redux removing the third weapon slot on Ranger modes makes it even less arcadey.

Oh fuck off

Redux has survival and spartan modes with survival being gimped original-like and spartan halo tier gun-n-run. Ranger is meme difficulty level and is still quite a bit easier in redux then the ranger in the original. Holy shit, can you imagine that you're not the only one who played both version

They did upgrade the textures but they also roided post processing for no reason, they "upgraded" the sound to the point that you can't really notice much difference. The gunplay and the damage model is simplified, for one no more ammo pouches deflecting projectiles etc. They also simplified stealth routines with enemies not "holding a grudge" for as long or having the detection range they had in the original. They also added muh cod baby takedowns.

There's also a point to be made about this being a cash in, or how they fucked up the sequel

Play 2033 and Last Light Redux.
Don't touch 2033 Redux because they port all of the useless shit from LL and shitter lighting and FX to boot.

Yeah, no. At least throwing knives in the original required some skill and hitting an ammopouch or helmet would cause the knife to not do any damage.

So are you going out of your way to play on Spartan and then complaining that it's not like Survival, or are you triggered at the mere existence of an additional optional mode?
Not true at all, and I'm starting to think you've never actually completed Ranger mode in Redux. The lack of a third weapon is huge in how careful you need to be with your weapon selection and ammo conservation.
But ammo pouches don't deflect rifle rounds in real life. Are you really complaining about more realism?
You mean they fixed every enemy in a level psychically knowing where you were when an isolated enemy sees you for a split second before getting killed? Wew, what a downgrade!
The knife mechanics in vanilla were clunky and 100% worthless. There was literally no reason to ever use the knife when you could kill ~80% of human enemies effortlessly with throwing knives instead.

No, what I'm is saying that you're a cancerious little bitch who probably liked nuThief and prefered Dishonored over Arx Fatalis.
Also that the "classic" aka survival mode on muh ranger difficulty in redux is still piss easy / designed for babies who found the original game on normal too challenging since the nonscripted enemies are blind, dumb and deaf.

I wrote projectiles but I've got a nagging feeling we can play spot the deflection ad nauseam and trying to explain knife arcing or the joy of van helsing ricochets is a wasted effort on you

Redux changes:

Absurdly low ammo limit
180 rifle and 44 pistol rounds being the most infuriating, especially since they added a semi auto pistol that can be turned into a carbine except lolnobullets
Also this forces you to almost always take a shotgun as one of your weapons because mutant battles (you can skip most with stealth) will empty your 5.45 and looting corpses for ammo in Redux takes away moral points needed for the "good" ending

Mutant fights are also shit in some areas because the game just throws them at you 4 at a time, so the easiest way to win is pick a corner and lob incediary grenades at a chokepoint until all the mutants die

Stealth changed to babbymode
Your watch changes from having 3 detection states (green for in darkness, yellow for half visible and red for visible) to one light that is for either visible/not visible.
Enemies are also absolutely retarded in Redux, you can stand directly infront of them and they won't see you because "hurr dark". Look at these screenshots, that's apparently "not visible".

Stupid CoD shit is also added, like weapon modifications (2033 had weapons that you purchased already modified, instead of hurr I want the red dot, laser AND the extended magazine!) and claymores (only useful for damage in bossfights).

Better luck next time, chap.

Called it

the redux version is shinny, new, not so spooky.

pleb

that sounds retarded

Shit stealth mechanics, shit inventory system, shit gunplay. Enemies give shit feedback. If you want to play survival FPS with minimum HUD, King Kong and Condemned are much more polished regarding the gunplay.

Bloody hell that looks awful.

I'm sure glad they gave free keys away for 2033 originally when Last Light was announced. So I've only ever played it as-is. (Been thinking about replaying it now I've built a beefy new PC.)

I played the first game and read the book. The game is okay, but I recommend reading the book, it's very good.

I heard Last Light and the new books aren't very good.

The Redux version is a straight up better designed game whereas the original has massive flaws.
Don't play on the ranger memecore difficulty. Its fucking trash and completely ruins immersion.

Nah, Escape to Tarkov takes the CoD title for Stalklones mate.

Hmm escape from tarkovsky
Is it kino?

Keep your Holla Forums shitposting on fucking Holla Forums you utter faggot. Filtered like the fucking cuckchan garbage you are.

You seem frustrated

Well, tarkovsky escaped to italy to make nostalghia and offret.

only if you like being depressed after reading it

Being open about it does not make something not a rip off.
That said, I don't think (and wouldn't want) that you can patent atmosphere, so there's nothing wrong with that

If you like Half Life 2, Stalker and F.E.A.R it will be your jam.

The spooky shit in the book was fantastic.

so how is metro ripping off stalker?

It was a decent read. Made me like the game a little less though.

BECAUSE IT DROPPED THE BEST SPOOKY SHIT

I didn't say nor imply that. Just commented on the idea that being open about ripoffs makes them OK.

the blob man eater?

So much stuff, ghosts in the pipes, the two philosophers at the irradiated dead station, the walk with the crowd down the tunnel.

you got that in the game, i think, get near the pipes.

The Ghost/Singing Pipes are in the game, but they're not much more than an easter egg.

Both were enjoyable as someone who didn't read the books.

Metro 2033 is a solid shooter. Great atmosphere, I think it overall has a good balance of story and gameplay given the fact it is a AAA title and you have to come to expect some level of out-of-gameplay experiences.

The map is technically linear but it doesn't feel too linear, because there is still a good sense of progression.

They did a fantastic job at giving the environment a lot of depth. I was afraid the tunnels would get old, but they didn't. They made sure to give every settlement its own unique feeling and atmosphere. In addition, a great deal of the game takes place outside the tunnels.
My only real criticisms came from some instances where I honestly didn't know what the fuck I was doing like the second time you're out on the surface. Thats actually when it gets almost nonlinear.
I got the game for free though, so maybe if I had actually paid for it I would've had a different attitude towards it. I would totally recommend at least one play through though. The game isn't that long and I don't think you'll regret it.

Metro 2033: Alien
Metro Last Light: Alien Resurrection

I do like how they made the bad ending canon for 2033. But Last Light is so nonsensical and lacks the ability to instill curiosity and fear for the world and its inhabitants like the first one did.