So when did the Achievement/Trophy buzz die out?

So when did the Achievement/Trophy buzz die out?

Time was during the early Xbox 360 and PS3 lifespan people, dudebros in particular seemed obsessed with "muh cheevos" and increasing a pointless number in a form of tribal dick measuring.

Some of it was neat as a way to force you to play a game very differently, but often it was simply checklists of completion states for games and little else.

Yet people were obsessed with them for a long time. Nowadays though? i dont see it.

When exactly did this shit die out?

Are you retarded
I'll never understand this shit

Do you even turn 360s and walk away?

Yeah I'll believe that
Or maybe you were some faggot that never actually completed a game

Holy shit are you an actual dudebro on Holla Forums?

How did you get here magical unicorn, and why does your people like call of duty so much?

I'm a dudebro because I like the challenge of completing a game and all its hidden bonus content?
You must be stupid, how does that even make sense

monhun general was here
this thread is now blessed

I have never met someone who cared about achievements.

chad pls

Were you a fat loner even as a kid?
Sorry for your life
Surprised you still haven't ended it, but don't worry, your time to shine is now

Chad as fuck. Lairy after too much Monster and Relentess to fuel your 1337 killcam montage streaks bro?

What's a Lairy

I like the way classic games did it in game: you unlock a skill/ achievement/ whatever and you're rewarded with goodies like cheats or official artwork. I dont care for trophies now adays since most time its multiplayer crap and i hate people. Wish they would go back to the classic way.

But it never did.

Go back to wizchan or /r9k/, whichever one you were on first.

Around the new generation of consoles. Don't know why really, maybe people just got tired of them. Unique ones were fun though, like taking the gnome all the way through Half Life 2 Ep 2 and sending it to space.

It's certainly gets a lot less hype these days. I remember when people would regularly make "achievement unlocked jokes" and brag about their gamerscores all day. Now it's like people just don't care as much.

Gnome Chompsky was a rite of passage.

see you later space cowboy ;_;

have you watched the achievement hunters?

they still do that and their really funny

Enjoy your screaming face thumbnails and TOP TEN TITLES LIKE THIS?!? i guess mang

I still like getting them for the sake of completionism, but I hate that on Steam they're completely worthless. At least give me a meaningless XP counter or some kind of point value even if it's not tied to something.

Funhaus was bought by RT, not the opposite dummy

Matt sold rooster teeth to funhaus' parent company.

OP is describing people obsessed with their achievement score that don't actually give a shit about finishing or completing something 100%

I knew someone who would buy cheap used games and literally play games they didn't like just to boost their achievement score.

Probably when the new consoles came out and people realized they had to do it all over again.

I thought RT was funhaus's parent company, wasn't it formed since they picked up the now ex inside gaming guys

RT is now part of the machinima/polaris multi headed hydra, why do you think they took on all those young women and gay dude and started making screaming face thumbnail clickbait?

Drunk gamers is long gone man, its another 'influencer' machine, go look up their bethesda shilling debacle.

I hope OP realises that those are an incredibly small minority of people that actually like achievements

translation: i like them so please dont bully me.

I love completing games, I have no shame in admitting that
Bully me all you want, but you're being retarded

Still mad at MS for this. Because of achievements/trophies and people actually giving a shit about them it became harder to edit or swap save games.

Nothing is an achievement in real life either.

It died out? im friends with several asians and germans on PSN and theyre all obsessed with getting "platinum" trophies. One asian im friends with has over 200. i have 4. Bloodborne, Atlier Sophie, Senran kagura, and DOAX3 … got very close with neptunia but fuck that 2nd platforming area, not worth it. now im working on EDF

while they wont play games they dont like just for the platinum, they refuse to play games that dont have the trophy available.

The problem is they're not for 100% completion they're like "do this level only crouching LOL!"

True, you have to find your own reasons for living.

Achievements are weird too: I finish the single player campaign of every game I buy. And that only nets you 300 of the 1000 available points.

I'm just not autistic enough to grind for months on one game. Star Ocean 4 is legendary for this.

Maybe a decade ago, but now like 90% fall under "You defeated your first opponent" or "You progressed through the game" or "Wow, you spent weeks racking a shitload of kills. have a gold star"

You can't complete a game without finishing the first and easiest stage
This argument is fucking stupid

Thats fine but you understand achievements were a scam to try and pad the length of a game right?
Its a way to do no extra work and have you replay the same thing in a different behaviour for a pop up to trigger an endorphin release. Its a gaming placebo to trick you into thinking theres more game and not just replays you behave differently in.

doesnt mean some arent fun but you are a rube if you dont see it for what it is.

How can you lump together thousand of games with a straight face
Not all games have the same achievement system

Also the same exact fucking argument could have been done for any game before achievements

that reminds me, mass effect 1 had a great achievement system where unlocking one gave you a bonus for your next character, like using hacking unlocked it for soldiers or adepts. is there any other games where they did this?

I think those are so publishers can do "market research" like only 10% ever played past the 3rd level so let's have only 3 levels from now on or only 20% ever got 100 online kills so let's cut multiplayer.

This board is a fucking circus, anybody who has a problem with achievements has to be the greatest magnitude of manchild.

I still go for trophies in a game I enjoy/can play fast enough. My first Platinum was Hotline Miami, which DEFINITELY deserved it, and getting a few trophies was the only good part of Gone Homo. Even now, I feel like I didn't cancel my PS+ fast enough.

I had mine on monthly and let it expire for the month that gone homo was on it

Read the thread. Or are you too young to have played videogames before achievements?

My issue with achievements is the encryption of game saves and locking them to an account.

when gamers died out i guess? nobody is left to collect the trophies

Never liked them, most games gave you like 700G for simply beating them with 200G being for petty side shit you'd not do other wise and 100G is some stupid riddle written horribly for doing some obscure task that only works halve the time.
Most people I know with 10K+ G scores only have it by buying a bunch of piss easy games and beating them and just easily racking in the points.

Excellent point you make here.

Achievements exposed for the world to see how unbelievably consumer whore and casual most gamers are.

Now devs know that they can get away with making a ten hour campaign since half of your audience doesn't even finish the tutorial.

Funny how achievements/trophies never have you do anything difficult. It's essentially just grinding.

Seriously fuck the firefly levels and the jetpack levels.

The only thing I give a fuck about Achievements for, is that they can provide extra arbitrary goals that I wouldn't normally bother with before moving on to the next title, and can extend gameplay on a decent game. On everything else, they're just an annoyance of clutter bullshit that sit somewhere in the uncanny valley between my OCD desire to complete the checklists - and my profound laziness.

Not since they became participation-trophies…

I liked when completing shit, doing stuff in different ways and challenging yourself within in the game however would unlock cool shit. Now you are just forced to pay for the cool shit, you don't get it in the actual game.

This. Achievements and DLC have combined to replace unlockables. Where before doing a difficult or obscure task in a game would reward you with an alternate character or level or something, now, all you get is an achievement. Then they'll try to sell you that content that you would have unlocked as DLC.

The Spyro and Ratchet & Clank games did the arbitrary goals in a great way, at least before Trophies became a thing. Skill Points were neat little puzzles, and once you figured out the types of things you had to do to get them, it was fun to look around the game and find the weird things you'd have to do to get them.

Trophies could have been that. And at first they sorta were. But most trophies were just "complete the game" and shit like that. Very few were the types of things Skill Points were. The latest Ratchet & Clank doesn't have skill points at all, and the trophies don't do anything like it. It's essentially a remake of the first game, and when I went through certain levels and started trying to do things that I know got Skill Points before, but now do nothing, it struck a chord with me personally, and really showed me just how things have changed in the last 15 years.

I kinda use achievements as a measure of completion, mostly because I get autistic about 100% vidya.
If that fucking chart is 99/100 i'm gonna be pissed

Things are only "achievements" worthy of note if they're things that 90% of players wouldn't normally do, or would find borderline impossible to do without a shitload of dedicated practice going counter to the game's intended gameplay.

Just playing a game and beating it should earn you nothing but your victory, since victory is all you deserve in that case.

That's exactly what Achievements do. In the past, you would actually unlock shit in the game. Now that shit is sold as paid DLC, and instead, you get nothing but your victory, marked by an achievement/trophy.

Dudebros didn't give a shit about achievements. Hurdcurr gamers did and still do.

I knew a lot of Dudebros who would buy childrens games just for the easy 1000 gamerscore. Nothing fucking sadder than a 30 year old man in his underwear slamming pabst blue ribbon and playing Viva Pinata for easy gamerscore while waiting on his teenage buddies to get online so they can shit on BKs in BLOPSIII.

When achievements aren't tied to the game then it's not important. For example, achievemnts unlocked on steam or your xbox profile are really unimportant and only serves as social bullshit.

Some games have achivements on their own, so I guess that should count. Even then achivements that force you to complete the same game twice without anything new are shit, and achivements themselves are a pretty bad idea considering they usually spoil the discovering itself unless they're concealed and even then the focus on unlocking them rather tat keep playing the game to have an ambiguous percentage number.

Like actually finishing the game?

My brother.

I do the same, and use it as a way to motivate myself to finish games and get the most out of them.

It's a pretty valid concept - I remember EA touting statistics around how "no-one uses cockpit" or "no one uses manual" in the last NFS game.

But at least the funny thing is that even though they have the statistics staring at them in the face, they'll still cop shit when they leave it out.

I never drive manual in an arcade racer, but I'd still think it's lazy as fuck to leave it out.

Fuck you, Viva Piñata was the best fucking thing to come out of the Xbox 360.

Lucky you, not having any reason to keep PS+. God I still hate those faggots I called friends for pressuring me into keeping it.

I'll fuck you up.

For what purpose.

That purpose.