Where were you when just 4 people made a game that could stand to be better than any 3d sonic game made by SEGA?

where were you when just 4 people made a game that could stand to be better than any 3d sonic game made by SEGA?

now if they'd just add a chao garden in the eventual release version or patch 1.1 idstill get it

Other urls found in this thread:

sonicfangameshq.com/PC0/SonicUtopia10232016521.rar
youtube.com/watch?v=al0GFfRfq9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Needs a lot of work and an arrow marker pointing the way, level design is wonky and the camera is a mess straight outta 1994.

and heres a .webm of a full run of the demo

and a download link for the demo here
sonicfangameshq.com/PC0/SonicUtopia10232016521.rar

the downloadable demo has far better graphics than that

the level is basically a tech demo to showcase they can do classic physics in a 3D engine

Pretty much anyone can make a better game than AAA companies, all they need is money and versatile devs.

You were using vp9, right?

May you live in interesting times.

Current year

I hope it becomes a full game instead of just abandonware. I would buy this if SEGA didn't make it shit. They were pretty handoff with the rerelease of SonicCD so who knows.

That level design is great, I think it highlights the problem with modern sonic games and the linearity which cramps players.
I'm not sure how a non linear sonic game would look like, maybe have 3 different goals scattered in hard to reach places?

It's stiff as fuck OP, I'd play modern sanic any day over this

But will it be on the Switch?

Small and skilled/autistic teams enjoying themselves will always outshine 20+ people with the same mind set as burger-flippers or liberal arts students doing it for a few sheckles on behalf of a production house doing it for many more sheckles.

AAA has "too many cooks". Because they don't want discussion or analysis of the gameplay. They want people to do what their told, as quickly as possible.

More stage hazards and bigger/more enemies in more cramped paths will do the trick.

That's called physics, the new sonic games are just 3 lanes you sidestep from like audiosurf. The fact you can't instantaneously change your momentum is really good.

It looks fun but I wonder how you'd go about fleshing it all out into an actual game. What would the goals be? I'm not sure sanic controls would work well with a Mario 64 style "here's a level with multiple goals, do one" approach.

youtube.com/watch?v=al0GFfRfq9w

The passionate autistic underdogs will always beat a team of 300 just looking for a paycheck.

You're the dev, aren't you?

reported it to sega, its they're copywright and it can't simply be stolen like that

Sega isn't Nintendo, all that'll probably happen is that the Sonic twitter will call the game 'way past cool.'

Good, Sega will probably give them a job.

Still looks horrible. There's seriously no appeal in 3d sonic.

Sega's actually pretty fucking commendable for rewarding loyal fans who make cool fan games and giving them jobs.

i used ffmpeg with a really low bitrate and a lowered resolution, where the original was 1920x1080

i wanted to make it actually fit, and i noly have so much space to work with

i also only downloaded ffmpeg not even 5 days ago

Hello Eogfagtor.

Wew. I'll post my shitty gameplay webm to make up for that.

Eat shit, Sanic 2 is my favorite Sanic. I'm just not impressed with this. It's literally "my first unity game with a sonic skin"

Also the music sucks

what program did you use to get the quality that good?

if it was ffmpeg what was the original resolution and what settings did you put in the command line?

again i didnt even download ffmpeg 5 days ago

the uploader really should have made a video with a higher framerate. maybe he couldn't due to potato, or because the game is really just a tech demo at the moment, i don't know, but watching that teaser trailer almost hurt my eyes with how low the FPS was. I think the dude recorded it at 20 frames or something lower.

Great. They'll make the game official and help them out.

I just used Webm For Retards, resized it to 540p, used HQ mode and set the size limit to 12mb

The camera won't stop fucking spinning in this shit.

The Green Hill Zone needs more bass. I notice remix Sonic themes always forget the BASS!

So… all sonic needed was to be open world like the sonic boom commercial and that's it?

Mind if I post my shitty gameplay webm too?

So it's just a beefy version of this?

Didn't it just got functional slopes?

The camera is one of my favorite things about the game. What's wrong with it?

SEGA doesn't seem to mind the various romhacks and hasn't gone out of their way to purge all their games from sites like coolroms. Also, SAGE still existing is proof enough that SEGA doesn't care what their fans make. I wouldn't be surprised if our fellow Sonic shitposter acknowledged the game.

Try playing with a controller instead of mouse+kb retard.

Yep, but they didn't modify the vanilla levels to include them yet. Some wads have them though.

So many dumbasses going 'omg open world' when the point of the fucking demo is showcasing the speed and controls and the openness was more for the demo than for the project.

While I don't really give much of a shit about Sonic it warms my heart to see people trying to make good videogames.

I'm so worn out by the industry's constant jewishness at this point it would give me some hope for the future if this happened.

And to make an effort to adapt the sense of momentum the 2D games had.

I think some of you give these people more credit than they deserve. While I do think this is the best looking 3D Sonic fan project I've seen. (At least in terms of getting things like the sense of speed correctly.) It still needs a bit of work done to it before I'd start saying "it's better than Sega." the physics seem rather floaty as of now.

Just played through 3 times, very well done. Sonic's controls and movements are very responsive. The open world aspect gives a better feeling for moving fast rather than the rail grinding small corridor running of the past 3D sonic games.

This deserves a
PROMOTION

I can see what you mean.
Personally I think the controls need some work. Not the physics, the controls.
I remember seeing a video about giving Sonic what essentially amounts to gas and brake pedals on the triggers, and honestly it was so solid an idea that I can see this really bringing out Utopia.

See, the thing about the controls as they are is that you need to hold forward to go forward. Obviously you may read that and think, "well duh" but the thing is that once you get up to a high speed, you lose the full 180 degrees of left to right you'd have if you were just steering sonic at that point. Instead you have to deal with like, 60 to 90 degrees before you before you stop propelling him forward.

And before anyone says this wouldn't work, the same video lists Hulk Ultimate Destruction as an example of this working. He more or less flat out states "I'm lifting most of this idea from how Hulk controls in that game"

Utopia is close, really close, but Sonic is too easy to lose control of at high speeds. And again, before anyone gets on my case, dealing with it and getting good doesn't mean they're flawless. And it's not like the devs couldn't just add an option to use either this or the current scheme instead.

Promotion? What for?

Sega do what Nintendon't.

Yeah, because instead you're propelling him at 60 to 90 degrees. Which is the point. Your speed is the same, but in another direction. This is also known as turning.

OP, you could just say
"Hey look at this tech demo me and my friends made"
You didn't have to be a cocky dickhead and imply your garage project that's been done hundreds of times already by hundreds of developers, even better than what you have presented. If anything this says more to me that you honestly think your engine is somehow revolutionary, despite it being rather mechanically stale.

So no being "magnetized" towards enemies? That's really the main thing that made the actual 3D Sonic games lame. It made killing enemies just time filler instead of an actual threat.

Thank you! I've been saying this for years and nobody listened.

Sonic is supposed to have acceleration and reach a high speed, not instantly get there. There needs to be a feeling of building of momentum and disappointment when you can't keep at that speed in order for it to b gud.

I don't think you're capable of understanding what makes the new games good, if that's how you feel.

It's perhaps a little rough around the edges, but it looks really good so far. The real sad thing is how despite it still needing some polish, sega still can't into 3d sonic. Makes you wonder why they get paid.

Needs more jpeg, actually you know what? I was going to just say something funny but what the hell man? You would have to really try to fuck up that badly on purpose.

This is actually a very clever way to bring Sonic into 3D.
When your character's gimmick is that he "gotta go fast", this brings up the gameplay problem that he will reach speeds faster than the player can react to, like the hoverbike level in Battletoads. In 2-D Sonic, this was manageable because you were only responsible for two dimensions. When the Sonic team moved to 3-D, the results were mixed because they made the experience on-rails, which reduces it to a timing game to jump left and right. Even when it wasn't on rails, the games weren't advanced enough to be truly open, so it was like driving a Lamborghini through a hallway most of the time. Lots of starting, stopping and autorun sections.

The best way to make going fast work is with an open arena like this. You can go fast, but it's easy to see what's ahead of you and avoid it. The choice of directions gives the third dimension a point. Finally, since the 2-D games were about exploring different ways through a level instead of the time limit, it works in the universe. The only question is how to make the other levels look interesting and unique. I think Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a good answer, a series of setpieces and areas connected by passageways that can be run through.

Just tried it, it's k but the camera management sucks.
I think it'd be a lot better if there was an easily-accessible camera center buttom, on the R2 for example.

They're fucking garbage.

This is exactly what I would have imagined a 3D Sonic to look like. I'm not the biggest of Sonic fans, but I will keep an eye on this project.

Just once, I'd like a 3D platformer with good camera controls.

It definitely looks like they took some cues from the OVA and the Sonic CD cinematics for how Sonic should move in a 3D space, which doesn't hurt.