Arcade Stick games

I'm getting a cheap arcade stick for fightan, but I want to make more use of them. Beyond fighting games and top-down shmups, what are some good games to play using the stick? I've got a PS3 and a semi- decent PC, so I can try emulating some older console games too.

Also best shmups? I don't have much experience beyond Raiden and Ikaruga, which I plan to try emulating.

That Qanba stick is fucking gold. I've had mine for two years. The only problem with it thought is that it works with every computer I had except for my new rig I built. It says that the drivers for it is missing, which is odd since it uses 360 controller drivers and it should just be plug n play. My computer works just fine with regular 360 controllers and PS3 controllers.

There are beat em ups, arcade sports, puzzle fighters, and every other arcade game.

Gradius
Battle Garegga
Dodonpachi series of games
Mars Matrix

recently there is Crimson Clover, Blue Revolver

look up the STG weekly channel to see other shmup games or go to shmups.system11.org to see what games they've talked about or recommended

That's strange. Can you use it on someone else's computer and have it work just fine? I think what I'm getting is going to be okay with newer stuff since both are PS4 compatible, but thanks for the warning.

As in stuff like Tetris Attack? Thank you for reminding me of an old love, I'm gonna try it out. I used to play that game religiously.

Holy shit I don't think my body is ready for so many shmups. Thank you for opening my eyes. Of the game series you listed, I think I'll start with Gradius since I've seen that before and move on up.

I had that issue. Run the 360 driver installer again and point it at the stick.

I'm not sure if the latest version was ever released in English, but this shit is amazing and the PS3 is region free.

Don't need to know moon to play either, but it helps.

I've been thinking for a long time about making a steam curator for games I can play with a fightstick that aren't necessarily fightan/shmup games, but it's honestly a pretty simple formula. I've managed to play Undertale and the new King's Quest with my Qanba and I've played good games with it too, like Umihara Kawase and Mighty Switch Force. Basically any game that can be played with a controller that doesn't require analogue controls or camera controls works well with a fightstick. I'm going to try playing Ys I/II with it.

That hori mini stick is great. I got it for the same price as a normal gamepad and it works like a charm. Only issue is that it was made for PS3 and PS4. So while you could use it on PC when in PS4 mode, not all games recognize it. But there's always JoyToKey so it's alright I guess.

Aw shiet nigga, that's genius. I'm sure Origins and Oath will be a lot of fun too.

Did any version of that series come out in English? Though I guess that's a moot point since nobody's gonna be around to play an older version. I'll check it out, but I hear the markup for Japanese PSN cash cards is pretty steep.

To my knowledge, the only English "Extreme" release is Force on the Vita, and you definitely don't want to play that shit.

There's plenty of menu translations for Full Boost around, and the game itself doesn't require too much JP knowledge to navigate if you can remember where everything is. I'm a consumer whore so I bought the special edition of Full Boost with all the extra music which is like $50 more and definitely not worth it. Netplay does require a JP PSN account to tie an online pass to, but I don't think vanilla EXVS needs a pass so you can netplay on NA or EU accounts too.

Free shmups you might want to check out:
Blue Wish Resurrection PLUS
Cho Ren Sha 68k
D-STARS

You should definitely try the original DoDonPachi on MAME or something. There's also a hefty chunk of really good doujin shmups on Steam, like the eXceed series (excluding the first one) or anything by ASTRO PORT.

The Q1 has actually been phased out by the Carbon, which is the one pictured in OP - it has actual Xinput support, so PC compatibility should be much better.

Beat 'em-ups are pretty fun with stick. I only really messed with the Konami Simpsons game, but there's stuff like Streets of Rage or that one Ninja Turtles game.

Metal Slug, too.

You can play most games with it. Maybe try playing ace combat and pretend its a flying stick

Don't forget to play some classic arcade games with your new arcade stick. Burgertime, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Centipede, Quix, Dig Dug, Joust, etc. .

And don't forget fighting game's older brother, the beat 'em up.

What's a good stick for around or less than $60 that can work with PS3/4 and PC?

Gettting the same one tomorow as babby's first stick, really excited.

I'm not into fighters, I'll start with Metal Slug and some nice classic arcade shmups, then proceed to Turrican 1 and 2 on Amiga and lastly find some decent 16-bit vidya for it.

I think Alien Soldier is MADE for this, the regular button layout is finicky as hell and the game absolutely requires continuously jerking your dude around.

Thinking of getting the Q1 model since it's cheap. I've been asking around the fightan thread and was leaning towards a fightpad before now. Is this version worth it?
Was thinking of getting hori mini but

Qanba Q1 or the new version of it the Qanba Carbon. It's the first stick in the OP.

So that first pic Qanba Q1 is good?
It says its only 60 something bucks on the website.
What are those mounting brace things on the back?

Whats the difference between the Q1 and carbon?

lots of older games play 10x better on a stick with arcade buttons than a dpad with face buttons.
Any platformer you can find will probably also play well.
I prefer stickless sticks, myself

>Question for all Q1 faggots and stick owners in general:
Any idea how I could make the stick more responsive? Mine has a bit too much of a dead zone for my liking.
Thought about glueing or taping some shit to it.

>doesn't include Cho Ren Sha 68K no autofire sucks though mushihime-sama is also neat

I looked around and was intrigued by the Q1. I think the general consensus is that there are better sticks out there, but for a budget of $60-$80 the Q1 stands out as a great choice. And then I discovered the Q1 is discontinued and the Carbon is its replacement.

I'm taking a swing in the dark with the Carbon, hoping that it's basically just a Q1 but slightly better, but who knows? I'm getting the mini just for the rare times I play with friends and family.

Far as I can tell, the Carbon's main advantage over the Q1 is PS4 compatibility while retaining the same price.

Speaking of Contra and Metal Slug, I happen to have Hard Corps. Uprising on the PS3, and I'm really excited to try it out with the arcade stick. It's gonna be crazy trying to do airdashes and parry bullets with the stick, but I'm looking forward to it.

They're just that. I don't really understand the point of your question. the Q1 was the go-to beginner stick for the longest time. it's easily moddable and cheap.

don't know. probably minimal. they had a xbox model and a playstation model of the Q1 and the Carbon only works on PS3 according to their website so maybe they just wanted to cut down on their manufacturing lines. it also doesn't work on the PS4 apparently unless there's some legacy shit going on but I don't know about that.

buy a new and change it? you could jury-rig it with something I guess but i wouldn't know about that. mine feels fine at least for fighting games.

where did you see that the carbon supports PS4? the Drone does but as far as I know carbon doesn't.

I realized I fucked up just as your post came up. Yeah, the Carbon isn't PS4 ready. The Mini 4 is, though, that I'm sure of.

Might actually have to go with that option. Just took the thing apart and couldn't get the screw holding the actuator in place to come loose.
Might as well get some new buttons while I'm at it.

I use a PS1/PS2 Hori on all of my consoles.

They are great because they can be used on pretty much any console (I use mine a lot on the Dreamcast) and on PC with adapters. I never owned anything more recent, so I don't know whether the new ones are better or not, but I really like mine. USB sticks are limited to the newer consoles and PC.

I think arcade sticks work well for most games of all types, except for some platformers. Personally, I can't play Mario for my life if I use a stick. Sonic, on the other hand, I can't play with a gamepad.

The Q1 is a good beginner stick, I got one and it's great. I still use it here and there even though I have a HoRi RAPV now (working with my dad to make some custom art for it)
If you don't need camera control then stick works. I even played RE4 with stick at one point.

Is that a prebuilt that's still kicking or have you swapped parts in and out? I'm curious as to how easy or difficult it might be and for how long I can expect these sticks to last before I go hunting for individual parts.

Does he like fightans or is he an artist?

He's a professional graphic designer

Step it up, nigger.

My fucking nigga. I got the same idea when I bought a fightstick for my wii

Could be more real than you think.

TvC a best

Never modified it. It still works perfectly. I originally bought it used, and the condition was so good that it looked like it was barely used at all.

I will do it if something stops working. It shouldn't be difficult.

That looks nice.

I got it at a cheap price. Thought "why the fuck not"

It plays great with Mario Kart Wii and a few other games

Damn thing still works after 20 years of service. I'd recommend one to everyone.

Bump